• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Alpha Colony Kickstarter misses its $50,000 goal by $28 dollars.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
I searched and searched, but no thread! So boom:

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1547218311/alpha-colony-an-exploration-building-and-trading-g

They missed their goal by just $28. $28!

Official Kickstarter response:

That's really, really uncommon. It was a tough finish, but unfortunately we wouldn't bend the rules. Of course, creators can always relaunch a project that was initially unsuccessful. - Kickstarter Spokesman

http://kotaku.com/5965126/kickstarter-wont-bend-the-rules-for-project-that-missed-its-goal-by-28

Man, how heartbreaking.

Takao

Banned
You know what would be a bigger dick move? If they reached their funding goal and at the last second someone pulled out causing them to drop below?

I'm gonna guess they realized they were going to have problems actually releasing this game, and used this as a reason to bail out.

Jack_AG

Banned
As others have said - family, friend, etc... although this did land them some exposure... so i'd say win/win.

In all seriousness, if I was the dev, I would've pledged the $28 on my own. Did they forget? I don't know...

It was "a sign" that making the project wasn't a good idea in the first place and would have plunged them into debt, according to the developer.

BearPawB

Banned
I bet they had no idea, the money was rapidly coming in. They thought they were going to make it, make that final push.

But before they realized they were going to be short it was already over.

This can result in the entire project being canceled so they'd have to do it all sneaky-like.

Ask their family to do so. Ask their significant others to do so. Trade some games in and do so! Anything!!

It was "a sign" that making the project wasn't a good idea in the first place and would have plunged them into debt, according to the developer.

Really? So they are not making it? That's "good" I suppose if they realize it. I wonder how many more Kickstarter projects will plunge developers into debt.

MrDaravon

I don't think people here understand how the very end of a kickstarter works; it updates in pretty much real-time, but you have so much money coming in both directions in the last few minutes as people pledge and people bow out that there was probably just no way to really know. I'm sure they probably DID have people pledging buffer amounts.

Surprised that people pledging $1500 couldn't increase their pledge for an additional $28. Good luck in future!

They don't get real time updates and one of the comments suspects the last backer did it mainly to taunt the real backers.

From the comments page:

Folks who missed the end here... I *was* up for the final minutes, and it wasn't like a photo finish where it sat needing $28 for any reasonable length of time. I had doubled my (modest) pledge, with about 15 minutes to go, and still about $2K remaining. A few pledges trickled in, and brought it to about $1.8K remaining, and then *poof* it jumped to a touch over $49K. So, I tripled my (still modest) pledge, and it stayed needing another $1K until it came down to seconds. I had to stop watching around 70 seconds, it just seemed so unfair. My wife continued watching, as I went off to bed, and I heard a loud gasp... (her hands were up on her face as I walked back in). The final bump that put it up to $49972 appeared to come from one backer's pledge raise in the final seconds, when nobody could do anything at all (like single digits of seconds). That person raised by over $800 at once, but chose (WHY?!) not to go in another $28. My perspective is that it was on purpose, they did not have the funds available, and they wanted to make a point. Otherwise that pledge (and a corresponding comment!) could have come with a minute to go, and a chance for me (or others watching) to kick in the final dollars. I may not have had the passion and drive to pledge a hundred bucks for a non-Linux game on my own, but I would have done for my friends among the comments here (RSF, MontyHawke, JuanitaD) and more. Then, in the future, I could have browbeat Megan on the DreamQuest team into clicking the "export to Linux" button in Unity3D for me, anyway ;-)

The Kickstarter didn't sit at 49.972 for hours. There was a rush of last minute donations like with every Kickstarter, but this time the Kickstarter unfortunately closed a second too early.

epmode

I don't think people here understand how the very end of a kickstarter works; it updates in pretty much real-time, but you have so much money coming in both directions in the last few minutes as people pledge and people bow out that there was probably just no way to really know. I'm sure they probably DID have people pledging buffer amounts.

This. The pledges generally come in very quickly at the end and there was no real way to see how close it was until after the project closed. If it sat $28 short with a few minutes to go, someone would obviously have bumped up their pledge to match.

Gaming projects very rarely squeak over the line. They usually completely fail or pass the goal by 10% or wayyyyyyy more.

injurai

Banned
Does this mean they don't get to keep the money? Also I would just pay the rest if it was my own project...

SovanJedi

provides useful feedback
Ehhhh it sucks, but it happens. Just a really unfortunate case of bad luck.

They can do it again and get the correct fundage. Like others have said, they'll have enough publicity from this to make the goal next time.

Boerseun

Banned
I am under the impression this particular Kickstarter was already a relaunch.

Also, Kickstarter isn't a charity. I wasn't sold on this project, based on the Kickstarter presentation, and thus didn't back it. There's no reason a failed Kickstarter should be considered news or discussed on forums like this one. Kickstarters fail all the time. Now it's back to the drawing board for Dreamquest Games. Let's see if they do a better job of it next time.

EDIT: Yep, I was correct. I see the previous attempt at kickstarting this project carried the M.U.L.E. license.

ponpo

( ≖‿≖)
At risk of what? An awkward exchange?

Pay him extra to pledge the difference...

Haha I don't mean it would be shady, just sounds like an awkward kind of "full circle" thing if something like that actually happened.

Every BBall in the galaxy is lending their primal dunkitudes to ensure this project is immensely successful.

Just noticed the Al Bhed translation. The goals must be reached.

I thought I remember seeing it update during the Eternity KS without needing to reload the page. Not sure if it was realtime but it was periodic and frequent.

Yeah, that's what I thought. Here's how I thought it is: Updates are real time but when the Kickstarter finishes, pledges drop because some people's credit card gets declined or that they to not pay entirely.

Tunavi

Banned
Yeah, I'm sure 50,000 wasn't enough even though it was the minimum. They were probably hoping for over 75K.

They didn't want just 50,000, they would have made a self donation.

There's no reason a failed Kickstarter should be considered news or discussed on forums like this one. Kickstarters fail all the time. Now it's back to the drawing board for Dreamquest Games. Let's see if they do a better job of it next time.

I think it's interesting (and maybe important) to note how close this came. Failed KSes usually fall well short of their mark. As the KS rep noted, it's very rare to see a near miss like this, more than likely because project organizers have contingency plans in place due to its 'all or nothing' nature.

Dicer

Banned
That's really, really uncommon. It was a tough finish, but unfortunately we wouldn't bend the rules. Of course, creators can always relaunch a project that was initially unsuccessful. - Kickstarter Spokesman

Seems like a dick move.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Real-time. It actually drops at the end instead of increasing as some people cannot pay up.

Yeah, although not the greatest of examples due to the sheer popularity of it, I had to cancel my pledge to Project Eternity.

Top Bottom