• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is Little Big Planet Series successful ? [8.5 million units, 60M DLC downloads]

nickcv

Edit:

Series sales figures via Eurogamer.

/Mod abuse

i'm not talking about the quality of the games, but of the franchise itself, from a sales point of view and it's appeal across gamers.

do you think sony is going to expand on it, making it a flagship franchise for both the younger and hardcore demographics or do you think it will go the way of the dodo next gen, like unfortunately other successful franchises from the ps2 and ps1 era?

edit:

I do not understand why you omitted "Planet" in the title, but LBP has been pretty successful and I'm pretty sure we'll see more of it next-gen.

because i'm dumb and it's 1:30 am and for whatever reason i thought that writing Planet in the title i'd have excluded little big planet karting >.<

please mods change it

Carl

The first game sold like, 5 million copies. So i'd say that's pretty successful.

Also, LBP has had over 60 million DLC downloads = heaps of money

Andrefpvs

I do not understand why you omitted "Planet" in the title, but LBP has been pretty successful for a new IP this gen and I'm pretty sure we'll see more of it next-gen.

Santar

My impression is that the franchise never caught on as much as Sony probably would have liked. (this seems to be the case for many of Sony's first party titles unfortunately)
But since they've backed it up so heavily this far I'd say they'll keep going forward with the franchise.

For a new Sony ip this generation, I think, yes it sold well and they could do with continuing it, but maybe with a bit of a respite between the vita one and the next one.

The ones developed by Media Molecule have been huge

They of course need to keep inventing new ideas for the franchise to keep people interested

nickcv

The first game sold like, 5 million copies. So i'd say that's pretty successful.

Also, LBP has had over 60 million DLC downloads = heaps of money

with those costumes sony is really cashing a lot of money!

I do not understand why you omitted "Planet" in the title, but LBP has been pretty successful and I'm pretty sure we'll see more of it next-gen.

because i'm dumb and it's 1:30 am and for whatever reason i thought that writing Planet in the title i'd have excluded little big planet karting >.<

DarkoMaledictus

Tier Whore
Nah, might of been slightly successful but has no staying power. Personally bought both games but played less than 3 hours both combined... they never really grabbed my attention...

Beth Cyra

LittleBigPlanet as a game most certainly so.

As a franchise? Honestly I think trying to argue for it is getting harder and harder. Aside from the first game they have been meet with less and less success and while both PSP and Vita can be explained as the platform killed them, 2 didn't do as well as one and Karting seems to have tanked.

So overall I would say that it's been a failure at worst and decent success at best and the future outlook isn't good.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
It appears to be dying out quickly.

Carl

Sackboy comes off as the biggest shill in gaming so maybe it wasn't such a good idea.

Yes, yes, doritospope.jpg.

Lol? People used to make their own costumes that looked like gaming characters, so i see no problem with making official ones.

iammeiam

I think it's been mildly successful, but potentially not sucessful enough to survive indefinitely. I feel like Sony has put a lot of effort into making the LBP games a success, and despite all that it doesn't really feel like the franchise ever caught on enough to stand on its own without a heavy push (see: the failure of most people to realize Little Big Planet Karting is even out.) Sackboy is possibly one of the best designs for a platform mascot in years, but it feels like he and his series just kind of exist off to the side.

I expect we'll keep seeing LBP unless/until Sony stumbles across another family-friendly first pary franchise. But I feel like if Sony had other options, we'd be seeing less LBP in general.

Noi

LBP sells. It's not an IP I would see Sony dropping anytime soon.

They should get Tarsier to co-develop LBP3, they nailed the physics in LBP Vita.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
LBP sells. It's not an IP I would see Sony dropping anytime soon.

They should get Tarsier to co-develop LBP3, they nailed the physics in LBP Vita.

Has it sold recently? LBP Vita and Karting bombed.

Sackboy comes off as the biggest shill in gaming so maybe it wasn't such a good idea.

Yes, yes, doritospope.jpg.

This is the first time I've actually heard this sentiment about Sackboy, then again maybe I've just not been looking in the right places.

I like Sackboy as a character but I find the games to be a huge waste of time. I don't want to make anything and finding all the good stuff takes too much time.

Takao

Banned
Does it sell 10 million on day 1? No, but that doesn't mean it's not a successful IP. As has been said, Sony's got to be making some mad coin off of DLC.

It's had moderate success, but overall I have to think Sony has to be disappointed behind closed doors. Considering how much they put behind these games, I wouldn't blame them.

Though personally I've truly come to loathe these games. In the way that everytime you start a new game you have to listen to Stephen Fry drone on and on. Getting into one of these games is an ADD-ridden person's worst nightmare. And I include myself in that group. I like Fry, I really do, but OMG get on with it.

SykoTech

I do not understand why you omitted "Planet"

Yeah. It's not like the Tales of games or anything. Every game in the series is called LittleBigPlanet, including the Karting one.

And yes, I consider it successful and I would be surprised if Sony didn't keep the franchise going on the PS4. I think LBP is the biggest family friendly IP that they have going for them. Or at least, one of the biggest.

I'm just curious as to whether or not Media Molecule will still be the developer. Even if they're not, there's always Tarsier.

LBP3 should go 3D, introduce new elements to the franchise, it didn't innovate much in the past few years. LBP3D should be groundbreaking, something like the Microsoft clone was gonna be(forgot the name of), but 100x as deep.

nickcv

Yeah. It's not like the Tales of games or anything. Every game in the series is called LittleBigPlanet, including the Karting one.

as i already answered Andre:

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
Nothing negative can be said about it. It's a great seller, granted Sony new fans, it has a very good online presence and it targets a market that they aren't suffocating (like their 4 or 5 shooters).

I think it has done pretty well but it could probably do better, especially if I were able to tweak with the physics of the engine and make Sackboy move quicker and smoother. I get why he doesn't...he's a freaking sack but still. I don't know if I want them to go full 3D yet or not...I kind of like it the way it is but let me do more with the tools.

Other games only dream of being able to pump out this much DLC.

They already moved it to the Vita, that might be a sign they're willing to branch out a little and possibly carry it over to next gen.

Carl

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2...the-mascot-playstation-has-been-searching-for

Other publishers have taken notice. You know all those costumes for Sackboy that dress him up as other franchise's characters? Cloud Strife and all the rest? Well, there have been over 30 video game licenses in LBP, with over 60 million downloads of DLC. There are over 300 DLC costumes on the PS Store. The message is clear: LBP is a big success and a lot of that has to do with Sackboy's increasing appeal.

Guevara

The Vita version's $20 now. That's certainly not a good sign. I wonder if Sony thinks the title moved hardware.

Carl

The Vita version's $20 now. That's certainly not a good sign. I wonder if Sony thinks the title moved hardware.

LBP dropped to about £5 in the space of a month in the UK. Clearly it still worked out okay for them, as they were able to go on and do a sequel. I bet they make more money per person on DLC than they do on the game, TBH

Beth Cyra

I don't think handheld iterations or spin-offs of alternate genres are generally good indications of the strength of a brand, or can be used to indicate it's "dying."

Can't agree with this.

Spin Off's and side games rely on the Brand and if a brand isn't strong enough to carry it then that is a bad thing.

Mario Kart, Smash Bros, Sega All Star Racing are all games that live and breath off various brands.

I just wouldn't take Halo Wars or COD Vita as any indication on the strength of the main franchises. They may not be strong enough to rise the tide for all ships, but that doesn't mean the mainline games aren't in themselves commercially viable and/or successful.

God of War is a strong brand. It regularly sells millions of games. But Kratos can't carry PSASBR as very evident by it's floppage.
Did LBP Vita bomb?
It most certainly did. There isn't really much of an installed base there to sell to.

Mxrz

Why wouldn't you consider it a success? Critics praise it, the games sell, and Sony makes a small fortune off the DLC.

Top Bottom