• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Will 2013 be best gaming year in a long time? (or ever???)

DjRoomba

Banned
Before new years lets consider this. Of course we have GTA V. Then we also have a new God of War, luigis mansion, Pikmin, Bioshock and Gears of War. Last of Us too. And this is all just in the first part of the year you guys, which is rare. We are also sure to have plenty of new Wii U announcements if not new first party games as well as likely reveals for ps4/720. This will be a bananas year

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
If Yoshi Land U comes to fruition, it will be.

Unless Artoon does it. :0

LuchaShaq

Banned
Big combo means that it's basically guaranteed to be a bad year for me.

Outside of a passing interest in like 3 games nothing announced this year interests me at all.

Nintendo just isn't making stuff I care about anymore.

A ps4/720 launch may make me excited as fuck but doubt any launch games will be amazing.

Dylan

I played GTAIV for the first time this year and now I have absolutely no reason to even consider playing GTAV.

terrisus

Nowhere even close to 1995 (C&P from post in a topic about best gaming years a bit ago)

Chrono Trigger
Earthbound
Donkey Kong Country 2
Yoshi's Island
Ogre Battle
Killer Instinct
Mortal Kombat 3
Breath of Fire 2
Secret of Evermore
Romance of the Three Kingdoms 4
Secret of the Stars
NBA Jam: TE
Kirby's Avalanche and Kirby's Dream Course
Mega Man 7 and X2
Ninja Gaiden Trilogy
Castlevania: Dracula X

And all that just on SNES, without even getting into the Genesis, Gameboy, and PC releases that year.

In general though, the mid-90s had some downright amazing years.

antitrop

The fact that I had no idea the vast majority of my favorite games from 2012 would ever even be in existence at the beginning of the year leads me to believe that I have no way to even attempt to predict 2013.

I know there are so, so many games that I will love next year that I don't even know exist right now. If you had told me on December 31st, 2011 that my favorite game of 2012 would be a cover-based third person shooter from a franchise that has never had a good game (or even a game in 10 years) from an unknown German developer I would have punched you in the mouth and told you to fuck off.

I can't wait to see what I'm not expecting from video games in 2013.

There are only like three games in 2013 I'm excited for, but of course it's far too early to compile any sort of real list.

I don't think gaming has had a fantastic year in some time.

Zarx

I'm not seeing it TBH, most of those games in the OP are side games. Many of the biggest games of next year have big question marks over how good they will be. There would need to be a lot of currently unannounced games that are huge surprises even to give 2013 a shot at that title.

ohlawd

Japan's getting Shin Megami Tensei IV next year.

Unfortunately for us English scrubs, 2013's gonna be awful :(

Before new years lets consider this. Of course we have GTA V. Then we also have a new God of War, [...] Bioshock and Gears of War.

Snore. I don't like any of those series except for Bioshock which tbh was a bit boring. Never heard of Last of Us, so won't include that into my anti-excitement.

Also Luigi's Mansion and Pikmin might be good, but I'll wait before being hyped, original Luigi's Mansion was only okay. Pikmin 3 probably will be good tho.

Only game I'm really looking forward to is Europa Universalis 4.

I don't have high hopes actually. I think the first games of the next gen are going to be flash in the pans (all looks, no depth).

prwxv3

Last of Us is my most anticipated game of next year. Bioshock Infinite and Pikmin 3 are in a distant second and third.

Derrick01

Banned
Snore. I don't like any of those series except for Bioshock which tbh was a bit boring. Never heard of Last of Us, so won't include that into my anti-excitement.

Also Luigi's Mansion and Pikmin might be good, but I'll wait before being hyped, original Luigi's Mansion was only okay. Pikmin 3 probably will be good tho.

How is this possible for someone on a gaming forum?

Busaiku said:
But really, 2010 won't be topped.

2010 was the worst year ever until 2011 and 2012 happened. What the hell came out that year? I can only remember the 2 obsidian games.

mass effect? Red dead? :lol

Bgamer90

Banned
A lot of big name games during the first half of 2013 and then new next gen system(s) during the last half.

2013 is going to be a HUGE year.

But really, 2010 won't be topped.

What came out in 2010 to make it the best game year evarrrrr? Refresh my memory pls.

How is this possible for someone on a gaming forum?

Cause I don't read all the fucking threads in this gigantic forum that spawns like 200 threads every second?

hen new next gen system(s) during the last half.

This is the only thing (so far) that is going to be big next year. The games not so much imo.

Before new years lets consider this. Of course we have GTA V. Then we also have a new God of War, luigis mansion, Pikmin, Bioshock and Gears of War. Last of Us too. And this is all just in the first part of the year you guys, which is rare. We are also sure to have plenty of new Wii U announcements if not new first party games as well as likely reveals for ps4/720. This will be a bananas year

Personally, I think people are way overdoing it as to how good/big of a deal Luigi's Mansion and Pikmin are.

Kud Dukan

A lot of big name games during the first half of 2013 and then new next gen system(s) during the last half.

Yeah, I don't know if it'll be the best ever, but there is a lot to look forward to in the next year. Just new consoles alone is enough to get me super excited.

Grief.exe

The fact that I had no idea the vast majority of my favorite games from 2012 would ever even be in existence at the beginning of the year leads me to believe that I have no way to even attempt to predict 2013.

I know there are so, so many games that I will love next year that I don't even know exist right now.

I will have to agree with this. The amazing games these days are coming from the indies and unknown developers.

'AAA' development is too concerned with appealing to the lowest common denominator in order to expand their base.

Can't wait to see what 2013 holds.

Quit doing yourself a disservice and look it up. I'm primarily a PC gamer but last of us looks excellent.

If I were to buy a console, it would be a ps3.

stonedwal

It better be a good year, or it'll fuck up the quality gaming year pattern.

1998 - 2001 - 2004 - 2007 - 2010 - 2013

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Tough to predict for me, since I don't know anything beyond the second quarter. Q1/2 for the 3DS should be amazing though.

Bgamer90

Banned
1998 - 2001 - 2004 - 2007 - 2010 - 2013

cPvou.gif

Emitan

I have a bunch of Kickstarter stuff coming out next year. Plus Monster Hunter, Fire Emblem, and Animal Crossing. So hyped.

Apdiddy

2013 might be a great year, but then again it could be like how it was this year with handhelds/non-AAA releases being better games. I'm cautious even with GTAV, The Last Of Us or BioShock Infinite coming out next year.

Derrick01

Banned
Cause I don't read all the fucking threads in this gigantic forum that spawns like 200 threads every second?

So? It's probably one of the top 3 most hyped games coming out next year, not some ultra niche japanese game that 5 people heard of. I'm just kind of baffled there's people here who haven't even heard of it.

So far 3 games that you have'nt mention intrests me
Tales of Xillia
Ni no Kuni if it'll be any good
Metal Gear Rising
And 2013 gonna suck, like 2012 did

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
I'm hopeful that each year delivers a product that I find enjoyable enough to invest 20 solid hours in to it. This year managed it with Sleeping Dogs and Theatrhythm. I'm expecting 2013 will deliver it in spades.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
I liked 2003 too.

Wind Waker, Pokemon Ruby and Sapphire, Dark Cloud 2, Billy Hatcher, Mario and Luigi Superstar Saga, Megaman Network Transmission, Sonic Heroes, Viewtiful Joe, WarioWare, and F-Zero GX.

Sure, some of those games don't exactly hold up, but for me they were all awesome and I spent hours playing all of them (except GX and WarioWare, didn't get those until later in my life). The late-2002 and early 2004 had other gems like Kingdom Hearts 1, Mario Sunshine, and Tales of Symphonia too.

Really, the GCN/GBA/PS2 era was probably the best imo.

Artoon hasn't been a thing anymore since 2010.
They will just for this. :(

Striek

I think the average quality of a game is getting higher every year so...I expect 2013 will be the best ever.

There are so many games coming out in the first half of the year that will be fantastic but I'll probably never get around to playing because by the time I'm finished what I really want to play first there'll be newer, even better games out that I'll want to play first.

Busaiku

What came out in 2010 to make it the best game year evarrrrr? Refresh my memory pls.

Stuff like Super Mario Galaxy 2, Donkey Kong Country Returns, Kirby's Epic Yarn, Bayonetta, Vanquish, Sin & Punishment Star Successor, Dragon Quest IX, Ys Seven/The Oath In Felghana, Super Meat Boy, Nine Hours, Nine Persons, Nine Doors, Shin Megami Tensei Strange Journey, Red Dead Redemption, Professor Layton And The Unwound Future, Super Street Fighter IV, Lara Croft And The Guardian Of Light, and a bunch of other games I didn't play, as well as smaller stuff that I loved (like Ivy The Kiwi).

Zia

BioShock Infinite, The Last of Us, Dota 2, Super TIME Force, Ridiculous Fishing, Proteus, The Witness, Antichamber, Hundreds, Monaco, Gone Home, new Xbox, probably Steambox, maybe PS4, possibly Wii U games that humans care about, probably not new Valve stuff but you never know.

I think it will be, even if a good chunk of that stuff turns out poorly. : )

Top Bottom