• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Will 2013 be best gaming year in a long time? (or ever???)

Eusis

At this point, it'd take a full on crash to be the worst. What we're getting in the first part of next year largely trumps what we saw through, say, 1996 pre-fall. Super Mario RPG and Resident Evil aren't enough to save THAT.

If anything, for current times 2014 will undoubtedly be worst if each new system launches in 2013 or early 2014. Current consoles start to finally give out, maybe some lingering Japanese support on PS3 much like PS1/2/PSP, but we'll see the 360 at least give out while developers focus on making original software for the new systems... while next to nothing comes out in the meantime, at least not anything that'll be remembered fondly years later for the most part.

The only good things about next year that we know of are Metal Gear Rising or the Last of Us when it comes to retail. Maybe Bioshock Inifinite...

It is going to be a boring year for the big boys when it comes to the games. Hardware is another story.

Darkone

I think the thread should have been called: 2013 - Where all of my money goto???

It will sure be a huge year but i am more worry about the time i will need to find to play & finish all these games :(.

I'm sure it'll be a pretty good year, but I don't think it'll be one of the best ever, I think we'll probably have to wait a year or two into Sony/MS next gen systems before we get another "all-time" great sort of year.

megalowho

I'm a little worried about the combination of the end of an overlong generation and launch window rush jobs. 2012 proved to me more than ever that AAA is in a really strange place right now, so I can't place much stock in any of the hype for major titles we know are on the way. Excited for the continued blurring of the lines between big and small experiences, but not holding any aspirations that we're in for one for the record books.

Going to be an amazing one for me for sure.

Next gen consoles (new IP)! Awww yeaaaa

Then

Fuse
GTA 5
Crysis 3
Pikmin 3
Star Trek
Tomb Raider
Dead Space 3
The Last of Us
Remember Me
Bioshock: Infinite
GOW: Ascension
Beyond: Two Souls
MGS: Ground Zeroes (maybe?)
Splinter Cell: Blacklist
Aliens: Colonial Marines
Gears of War: Judgement
Injustice: Gods Among Us
Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance

you've activated my list card.

2010:
monster hunter tri
gran turino 5
red dead redemption
bayonetta
vanquish
infinite space
super mario galaxy 2
sin & punishment: star successor
super meat boy
3d dot game heroes
mega man 10
metal gear solid: peace walker
starcraft ii
dragon quest ix
civilization v
god of war iii
blur
fallout: new vegas
assassin's creed: brotherhood
halo reach
lara croft an the guardian of light
scott pilgrim vs. the world
goldeneye
sonic colors
darksiders
kingdom hearts: birth by sleep
mass effect 2

2011:
rayman origins
portal 2

no donkey kong country returns? :(

Every year people do this.

EVERY FREAKING YEAR!

People can't get enough hype! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B-DpRcxK_N8

cacildo

I played GTAIV for the first time this year and now I have absolutely no reason to even consider playing GTAV.

This is something that happens to a lot of people.

I fear GTAV will fall into the RE6 trap: sells a lot in the beggining, just cause franchise name, then drop to zero when people realizes the game sucks.

And yeah, i do think GTAV will suck RE6 style

Derrick01

Banned
This thread is depressing with its debate/list wars of 2010, 2011, and 2012. 3 of the worst years I can ever remember in gaming. I would much rather go back to the 98/01/04 debate, that was actually fun and had lots of good memories.

D

Deleted member 81567

Unconfirmed Member
Yes it will. 2013 will be the yest bed of gamign for a long time.

Haunted

Every fucking year. Seriously people, check yourself.

I swear, in no industry is the difference between hype/anticipation and actual products as large as in this one.

Elios83

2012 was just terrible for home consoles, the worst since the beginning of the gen IMO, but 2013 has all the right cards to be huge unless all the big games end up being a disappointment.

gaming_noob

2013 may be the year of the biggest bombs. Too many perceived high quality games releasing all at once...and I'm not feeling any of them. Personally I'm not buying anymore games for this gen and instead Saving up for both next gen consoles.

GeoramA

why I believe 2009 is the best year of this gen (not counting 2013 - because we know shit after March)
Yep. 2009 delivered more than any other year. Uncharted 2, Arkham Asylum, inFamous, AC 2, DA Origins, Borderlands, R&C: A Crack in Time...again, phenomenal year.

kittoo

Cretinously credulous
The fact that I had no idea the vast majority of my favorite games from 2012 would ever even be in existence at the beginning of the year leads me to believe that I have no way to even attempt to predict 2013.

I know there are so, so many games that I will love next year that I don't even know exist right now. If you had told me on December 31st, 2011 that my favorite game of 2012 would be a cover-based third person shooter from a franchise that has never had a good game (or even a game in 10 years) from an unknown German developer I would have punched you in the mouth and told you to fuck off.

I can't wait to see what I'm not expecting from video games in 2013.

What game are you talking about?

herod

Year of PS3

KuGsj.gif

RooMHM

This thread is depressing with its debate/list wars of 2010, 2011, and 2012. 3 of the worst years I can ever remember in gaming. I would much rather go back to the 98/01/04 debate, that was actually fun and had lots of good memories.
Yep. we re going to new lows every years. I dont see it change. In fact, nowadays the difference in quality of gaming years solely depends on the release of one or max two gems in an entire year...

Globox_82

Banned

Riposte

I find it funny that despite of all the time I spend tearing down games, I could be considered a big optimist. I know I'll find at least 10-15 games I quite like and I'm pretty excited about it. As I was able to in 2012, 2011, 2010, etc.

meta4

Last of Us -seems to be so brilliant that it seems too good to be true. Hopefully the game delivers.

GOW A - best combat in the series based on the demo - super hyped

Beyond 2 souls - Could be a hit or a miss

Sly Cooper - Looks absolutely fantastic.

Soul Sacrifice - All set to be the best Vita game.

GTA 5 - Nothing needs to be said.

Apart from these I am excited for Bioshock Infinite,MG Rising, Ni No Kuni,Wonderful 101 plus possibilities of new consoles could make next year the best year for gaming in the last 8 years.

Concept17

Going to be an amazing one for me for sure.

Next gen consoles (new IP)! Awww yeaaaa

Then

Fuse
GTA 5
Crysis 3
Pikmin 3
Star Trek
Tomb Raider
Dead Space 3
The Last of Us
Remember Me
Bioshock: Infinite
GOW: Ascension
Beyond: Two Souls
MGS: Ground Zeroes (maybe?)
Splinter Cell: Blacklist
Aliens: Colonial Marines
Gears of War: Judgement
Injustice: Gods Among Us
Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance

...did you make your list stairs on purpose?

Your list is stairs.

ghst

thanks for the laugh
most of the best games of 2012 i didn't even know existed in december 2011.

i feel 2013 will build on that trend, rather than look to the billboard top 10 darlings in the OP.

LuchaShaq

Banned
Nah indeed, we are supposed to believe these are better then their sequels in 2009 + new Ips that came that year? please. http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=45888062&postcount=149

While some of those games are near the worst in their series, the fact that they were NEW and dripping with obvious ways to improve in the future was so exciting for me. AC1 - Non garbage protagonist, UC - better combat/cut the supernatural bullshit, ME1 - Fix the shooting mechanics/quest log.

While none of these 3 would make my generation top 10 or even 25, but all 3 had me super excited for the future even if only some of my complaints were addressed.

Decado

Not sure about being the best, but 2013 could be a monster year:

- Kickstarter madness. All the games I funded should be released next year, plus several more I'm pretty hyped for. Could be glorious (or a major disappointment, we'll see).
- Two ambitious games from Platinum (granted, one is on a system I don't own and probably never will).
- Sony is bringing out the big guns for the final major year of the PS3. Probably the most exciting line-up of exclusives this gen, IMO (if they don't fuck up GoW). PSN looks slow and niche, sadly. WTF is my Dead Nation sequel?
- M$ is MIA as usual, but there are a number of XBLA titles that I'm stoked about. Charlie Murder could make SKA Studios my favourite indie/downloadable game studio this generation. Just wish they would release their games on Steam so I could keep them :(
- Indies and small devs on the PC. There are some interesting projects in the pipeline!
- A pretty packed line-up of multiplatform console games, particularly in the first half of 2013.
- A few big budget and impressive looking strategy titles for PC.

Where 2013 could falter:

- If Sony and M$'s new consoles are launched in late 2013 we probably won't see any ambitious news games for PS3/360 and any PC ports will likely be shit. Launch titles are rarely worth mentioning.
-Ambitious, big budget PC games seem to rely on consoles so it seems like if consoles are fucked, so is the PC :(
-Arguably my most anticipated PC exclusive is in development at a studio whose publisher could die at any moment (Company of Heroes 2) :(

South Park
GTA5
MGS Revengeance
MGS 5
The Last Guardian(it's gotta come out in 2013 if it's still coming)
The Last Of Us
Tomb Raider

Mostly hyped for South Park and The Last Of Us though.

Top Bottom