• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Will 2013 be best gaming year in a long time? (or ever???)

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Well since we've already given up on 2013 in this thread, the answer for best ever is 98. You are an absolute crazy person if you suggest anything else.

Half-Life
Starcraft
Baldur's Gate
Fallout 2
Grim Fandango
Civilization 2
Starsiege Tribes
Descent Freespace
Thief the Dark Project
Might and Magic VI
Myth 2
Battlezone
Jedi Knight: Mysteries of the Sith
Independence War
Rainbow Six
Heretic 2
Unreal
Motocross Madness
Jazz Jackrabbit 2
Carmageddon 2
Zelda Ocarina of Time
Metal Gear Solid
Final Fantasy 7
Panzer Dragoon Saga
Resident Evil 2
Radiant Silvergun
Banjo Kazooie
Grand Theft Auto
Tactics Ogre

How anyone could look at that list and not have their minds blown is unknowable to me.

98 folks. 98.

Izick

It'll be okay. Not the best, not the worst.

GTA V and Bioshock: Infinite will both be great, and everything else will be take it or leave it. Consoles will come out, and besides being shiny, both the line-ups will be lackluster at best, and all the launch games completely forgotten about in a year due to their mediocrity, just like every other recent launch.

DjRoomba

Banned
you've activated my list card.

2010:
monster hunter tri
gran turino 5
red dead redemption
bayonetta
vanquish
infinite space
super mario galaxy 2
sin & punishment: star successor
super meat boy
3d dot game heroes
mega man 10
metal gear solid: peace walker
starcraft ii
dragon quest ix
civilization v
god of war iii
blur
fallout: new vegas
assassin's creed: brotherhood
halo reach
lara croft an the guardian of light
scott pilgrim vs. the world
goldeneye
sonic colors
darksiders
kingdom hearts: birth by sleep
mass effect 2

2011:
rayman origins
portal 2

2011 also had an amazing line up of 3s(Uncharted, Modern Warfare, Battlefield, Saints Row, Gears of War) and Skyward Sword. All fantastic games, but they all came in one bizarre clump at the end of the year. 2013 looks to be particularly good because already in the first part of the year were gettin another amazing line up.

krishian

Dark Souls
Witcher 2
To The Moon
Amnesia (or is this 2010?)

This is enough to destroy any other year, why are people even trying to argue.

DJIzana

I think it will be. At the very least, it will be a HELL of a lot better than 2012.

For me, the games we currently know about, scheduled to release in 2013, includes:

Ni no Kuni
Crysis 3
MGS: Revengeance
Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate
Phantasy Star Online 2
The Last of Us
GTA 5
Watch Dogs
FFXIV: ARR

As said before....Sony/PS3 has a lot of great games coming up. I hope Nintendo has some tricks up their sleeves, because I don't think their line up is awesome atm. Concerning Microsoft ( my thirth 360 broke down yesterday :/.... was just about to fire up TWD damnit ), I don't know if I should pick up a new system though. No pun inteneded, but what interesting and exclusive game are announced for 360 besides Gears?

dr_rus

No. The only game coming in 2013 that I have any kind of high hopes for is The Last of Us. All the other sequels and reboots just don't interest me at all. Well, Beyond may turn out to be good but we'll see.

KAL2006

Banned
For me no year will beat the year N64 launched with Mario 64.

Done some research that year also had
Resident Evil
Crash Bandicoot
Tomb Raider
Diablo
Mario Kart 64
Duke Nukem 3D
Pokemon Red/Blue
Elder Scrolls Daggerfall
Quake
Metal Slug
Command and Conquer Red Alert
Tekken 2

Eideka

Banned
Rome Total War II
Watch Dogs
Crysis 3
Star Wars 1313
Metro Last Light
Dead Space 3
Splinter Cell Blacklist
Bioshock Infinite
Uncharted Raider : Croft's Fortune

Yeah, it's going to be a great year.

AniHawk

my list for the first half is gta v, the last of us, pikmin 3, fire emblem, metal gear?! rising, and rayman legends, which is a pretty strong start.

Sandfox

Its too early to say its going to be the best year in a long time because the big name games can easily disappoint(much like what happened this year) and even if a new Xbox comes we don't know if its going to launch with anything too amazing.

That being said, my 3DS is going to be getting a lot of use in 2013.

I believe 2014 will be a really good year for gaming. My hopes for next year are low. There aren't many interesting games left for this generation and the launch games for next-gen are likely going to be rushed and mediocre.

Jb

Is Destiny confirmed for 2013? We'll also get BF4 on both systems, which should be interesting. Even if most of next year's confirmed titles disappoint, it should be at least a fun one for megatons and announcements.

Nowhere even close to 1995 (C&P from post in a topic about best gaming years a bit ago)

Chrono Trigger
Earthbound
Donkey Kong Country 2
Yoshi's Island
Ogre Battle
Killer Instinct
Mortal Kombat 3
Breath of Fire 2
Secret of Evermore
Romance of the Three Kingdoms 4
Secret of the Stars
NBA Jam: TE
Kirby's Avalanche and Kirby's Dream Course
Mega Man 7 and X2
Ninja Gaiden Trilogy
Castlevania: Dracula X

And all that just on SNES, without even getting into the Genesis, Gameboy, and PC releases that year.

In general though, the mid-90s had some downright amazing years.

Far out that is a sick year!

The Genesis had the following good games in 2005 as well. If you add pc it really is a good year...

Alien Soldier
Comix Zone
Earthworm Jim II
Mega Turrican
Primal Rage
Pitfall
Ristar
Roadrash III
Theme Park

pswii60

I'm more excited for the upcoming 12 months than I have been for years. So much goodness on the horizon, and it's not all just sequels either. Just PS3's first party exclusives (Sly, Beyond, TLOU and GoW) alone are having me salvating, then there's the XBLA line-up, Gears of War Judgement, Bioshock Infinite, the Tomb Raider reboot, Devil May Cry reboot, Metal Gear, Luigi's Mansion, etc. Throw in E3 and the potential for new consoles in to the mix and it's going to be one amazing ride. Can't wait.

2013 will be a good year for gaming for me personally, but only because there isn't much on the radar so I'll be able to spend some time with the games I already have. I've got a pre-order down for Aliens (for which I'm prepared to disappoint me, even though I hope it doesn't) and that's about it. I'll wait for GTA V to hit the discount range in like 6 months.

Anyway, the best year for gaming was 1992, especially if you lived in PAL zones as the SNES launched:

Ultima VII
Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis
Super Mario Kart
Ecco the Dolphin
Sonic 2
Dune II
Kirby's Dream Land
Streets of Rage II

Dantis

Won't be hard to beat this year. Worst year in a long time for me. I can count the number of games I consider great on one hand.

IrishNinja

ive got about a dozen on my list too - Yakuza 5 (incoming GOTY), SMT IV, PSO 2, Phoneix 5, Pikmin 3, Fire Emblem, Beyond, Luigi 2, Wonderful 101, Soul Hackers, hopefully Bio Infinite, Last of Us and such.

Ani's 2010 list is pretty good, though
speaking of, are we gonna do any more of those "GOTY 199X"/retro ones anymore? those were cool

It better be a good year, or it'll fuck up the quality gaming year pattern.

1998 - 2001 - 2004 - 2007 - 2010 - 2013

had not noticed this before!

BioShock Infinite, The Last of Us, Dota 2, Super TIME Force, Ridiculous Fishing, Proteus, The Witness, Antichamber, Hundreds, Monaco, Gone Home, new Xbox, probably Steambox, maybe PS4, possibly Wii U games that humans care about, probably not new Valve stuff but you never know.

hahaha...try that nonsense again when half your list doesn't need a wiki

KKRT00

Well since we've already given up on 2013 in this thread, the answer for best ever is 98. You are an absolute crazy person if you suggest anything else.

Half-Life
Starcraft
Baldur's Gate
Fallout 2
Grim Fandango
Civilization 2
Starsiege Tribes
Descent Freespace
Thief the Dark Project
Might and Magic VI
Myth 2
Battlezone
Jedi Knight: Mysteries of the Sith
Independence War
Rainbow Six
Heretic 2
Unreal
Motocross Madness
Jazz Jackrabbit 2
Carmageddon 2
Zelda Ocarina of Time
Metal Gear Solid
Final Fantasy 7
Panzer Dragoon Saga
Resident Evil 2
Radiant Silvergun
Banjo Kazooie
Grand Theft Auto
Tactics Ogre

How anyone could look at that list and not have their minds blown is unknowable to me.

98 folks. 98.

You forgot about:

Colin McRae Rally
Commandos: Behind Enemy Lines
KKND 2: Krossfire
Magic & Mayhem
MechCommander
Red Baron 3D
Warhammer: Dark Omen
SimCity 3000
The Settlers III
Thief: The Dark Project

Pretty fucking amazing year, i agree :)

2013 looks though to be great, i'm already know that i'll buy three EA games day one [BF 4, Simcity and Crysis 3]

AniHawk

Ani's 2010 list is pretty good, though
speaking of, are we gonna do any more of those "GOTY 199X"/retro ones anymore? those were cool

i was waiting on timetokill/cheesemeister to handle their next one, and we were gonna go back and forth until i reached 2007 (and maybe 2009, but i didn't handle that one), but it seems they stopped, and so did i.

Feindflug

2012 was a great year IMO but 2013 being the best year in a long time or ever? I'd say that games wise it will be an inferior year at least for me, in terms of announcements and hype though I bet next the E3 will be amazing for all the big 3.

I'm completely indifferent about a lot of games that will come out in the first half of the year...Metal Gear Rising, Metro Last Light, The Cave, Rain, Sacred Citadel, Super TIME Force, State of Decay, Deadly Premonition: DC & GTAV are the games I'm really excited about.

Then there's games like Crysis 3, Gears Judgment, GoW: Ascension, The Last Of Us, Bioshock Infinite that I'll wait for more impressions and act accordingly.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
I'm buying 5 games day one by the end of March, several of which I've been waiting for for years. 2013 is going to be a great year, from the plethora of interesting releases in the first half to the high likelyhood of next gen coming in the fall it's a really exciting and important year.

Cosmozone

Ugh, the only game mentioner in the OP that isn't a sequel is Last of Us. 2013 looks pretty meh to me right now. Watch_dogs and The Last Guardian are the only AAA games I'm currently looking forward to and I'm not sure they'll even make it. Tomb Raider is going to be disappointing going from the early previews and I can't even fathom why people are excited about a South Park game. Smaller games like Puppeteer are more promising. But at least Virtue's Last Reward will come out in Europe, yay! Don't know about Pikmin yet.

Edit: forgot about Lego City Stories. Hopefully it'll be good.

Hindle

Banned
An adventure game from the creators of Monkey Island is coming next year. The Cave it's called, it looks pretty cool.

Yes. Three new games from Platinum in one year (four if you count Anarchy), who thought that would ever happen? Add Rayman Legends (the demo was great), Puppeteer, South Park, Rome: Total War II, Company of Heroes 2, Pikmin, Bioshock Infinite, SimCity, the biggest GTA yet and the promise of Watch_Dogs and The Last of Us (new IP for the win) and you already have a year to look forward to.

Then there are potential new games from Rocksteady, Mikami (codename Zwei) and lots of others. Destiny and The Last Guardian anyone?

Indie games will continue their winning streak with games like Quadrilateral Cowboy, Spy Party, The Witness, Amnesia: A Machine for Pigs, a full PSN version of Velocity, Among the Sleep, Dead State, Super Time Force, Republique, The Swapper, Routine, Antichamber, State of Decay, Outlast, Guacamelee, Notch's 0x10c, the list goes on and on. It's gonna be another brilliant year for indies, just like this year was.

Nintendo will whip out its big guns for the WiiU. A new Retro game? A new game from EAD Tokyo? Count on it.

And there will definitely be a reveal of next gen consoles and perhaps at least one of those will out before the end of the year.

There's bound to be a few games we don't even know about yet as well.

Ir you're not excited for any of that, I'd advise a new hobby.

EVOL 100%

Looks like it's going to be a shit year for AAA games, but next year I'm going to get a good amount of kickstarter games that I pledged for and SMT4. Pretty decent.

Riposte

The prophecy says:

"When the four Platinum Game releases comes out in a single year... it will be really rad."

GeoramA

Only hyped for The Last of Us and GTA V. Other games like Sly 4, God of War, Metro, and South Park look good, but I don't see myself shelling out $60 for them.

Eusis

Before new years lets consider this. Of course we have GTA V. Then we also have a new God of War, luigis mansion, Pikmin, Bioshock and Gears of War. Last of Us too. And this is all just in the first part of the year you guys, which is rare. We are also sure to have plenty of new Wii U announcements if not new first party games as well as likely reveals for ps4/720. This will be a bananas year
Without even looking over this thread: we have had these every year, the last several years in fact have had very strong first quarters, only to taper off then pick back up (although I don't think quite to the same level) at the end of the year. Nevermind when subjectivity comes into play: I could name a major RPG each year... up until this next year. Bioware doesn't seem to have anything (maybe DAIII will be revealed, but it sounds like that's more likely to be a 2014 release), Bethesda's got nothing, and there doesn't even seem to be too much from Japan to set the world (or at least a huge chunk of the hardcore base) on fire, Lightning Returns seems to be too irrelevant to anyone while SMTIV's probably just under the radar enough, nevermind the rest of Atlus's lineup that won't get much attention. And you never know how many of those games end up disappointments, just look at reactions to most of the higher profile games that came out this year, you'll always have naysayers but it seems pretty extreme this time.

As is always the case, history will dictate success. And sometimes the best games of the year aren't even acknowledged until they're out, was TellTale's TWD topping most people's lists at the start of this year?

AniHawk

Exactly. Not too long ago we feared for their future, now we're getting four games in one year, including a new Kamiya game. Awesome.

i don't think bayonetta is set in stone, but what else is happening aside from metal gear and wonderful 101?

edit: fuck. anarchy reigns. i knew i was forgetting something. at $30, i suppose i'll have to pick it up. especially since sega's bowing out of the retail business.

I'm more excited about what I don't know is coming out in 2013 and the games that aren't my "most hyped" ones. I always find myself loving a surprise AAA or indie game that comes out of nowhere for me.

Globox_82

Banned
why I believe 2009 is the best year of this gen (not counting 2013 - because we know shit after March)

2009:
Uncharted 2: Among Thieves
Demon's Souls
Killzone 2
Batman: Arkham Asylum
Assassin's Creed II
Borderlands
Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2
Street Fighter IV
Grand Theft Auto IV: The Lost and Damned(xbox)
MadWorld
Resident Evil 5
Red Faction: Guerrilla
inFamous
Gears of War 2
Forza Motorsport 3
Ratchet & Clank Future: A Crack in Time
Tekken 6
Dragon Age: Origins
Silent Hill: Shattered Memories

Torchlight
FLOWER
Shadow Complex
Plants vs. Zombies
Patapon 2
Grand Theft Auto: Chinatown Wars
Punch-Out!!
Shatter
'Splosion Man
Fat Princess
Trine
Trials HD

Warhammer 40,000: Dawn of War II
Empire: Total War Review

And many more. Sick year.
http://us.gamespot.com/reviews.html...dlx_type=all&sortdir=asc&official=all&page=36

Top Bottom