• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Will 2013 be best gaming year in a long time? (or ever???)

Derrick01

Banned
I'm not seeing what's so special about 2013 so far. Most of what we know that is coming in Q1 looks pretty awful so far. Stuff like Dead Space, Bioshock, Tomb Raider, Splinter Cell and yet another samey god of war and gears of war. All I've got on my list for Q1 as far as must haves go is South Park, GTA and Last of Us.

New consoles can be exciting but in this current industry how could anyone be anything but nervous for them? How many gimmicky useless features will they incorporate all for people who don't want to play games at all? What if they're not as powerful as we need them to be? What if the budgets skyrocket again and we end up with a generation that was worse than this one?

So yeah 2013 looks pretty bad right now.

Kacho

Not ever, but it's going to be pretty great me thinks. Especially for those who own Nintendo platforms (for the first half at least).

2012 was both a good and bad year for me. Good in that it was filled with a lot of surprising awesome stuff I didn't expect to be as good as it was (Dragons Dogma Walking Dead Xcom Mark of the Ninja) and bad in that there were literally no games that I was pre-hyped about before. Say what you will about confirmation bias, but there is definitely something appealing about going into something super excited and having it deliver.

If 2013 manages to contain a handful of delightful surprises while still delivering on my MAX HYPE for Metal Gear Rising, GTAV, and Bioshock Infinite, it'll definitely be one of the best years this gen. But that's a big "if." You can't anticipate surprise, after all. Although there are an awful lot of games that I know exist that don't have release dates yet...

There's also a big question of whether or not the Wii U will be able to marshal enough games to force me to buy one. Right now none of the games I'm interested have release dates and only one has a "release window." (This question also applies to Vita, except for the part of having games announced that I'm interested in)

LuchaShaq

Banned
What came out in 2010 to make it the best game year evarrrrr? Refresh my memory pls.

Mass Effect 2

Red Dead Redemption

Assassin's creed brotherhood (my fave of the series by a long shot)

Persona 3 portable.

So 4 of my top 6 games of the last decade.

Pretty amazing year if you ask me.

You didn't even mention any games I care about, but I'm stoked too.

Games I'm looking forward to:
Ni No Kuni
FFXIII Versus (it's coming...!)
The Last Guardian (this one too...)
The Wonderful 101
Monster Hunter 3U
Monster Hunter 4
Bravely Default (hopefully localized)
Dragon Quest VII (hopefully localized)
Dragon's Crown
Shin Megami Tensei IV
Soul Hackers
Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance

That's more than I had to look forward to for the last two years.

Plus games that may or may not come out in 2013:
Bayonetta 2
Darkstalkers 4

Aeana

Ni No Kuni
The Wonderful 101
Monster Hunter 3U
Monster Hunter 4
Dragon's Crown
Shin Megami Tensei IV
Soul Hackers (probably localized)

Bayonetta 2
Darkstalkers 4
Did you miss the localization announcement for this last week?

brinstar

Ni No Kuni
The Wonderful 101
Monster Hunter 3U
Monster Hunter 4
Dragon's Crown
Shin Megami Tensei IV
Soul Hackers (probably localized)

Bayonetta 2
Darkstalkers 4

I like you.

Represent.

Represent(ative) of bad opinions
Last of Us and GTA V will make it the best year of the gen for me. If new consoles are released and actually deliver then it will be the best year in a long time.

Pranay

Year of the PS3 lol interms of Games for me.

God of War Accension [Single Player demo was fantastic imo despite mp being underwhelming]
The Last of Us - Simply looks to be the best game made by ND
Puppeteer - SCEJ makes a return with an interesting and beautiful looking platformmer
Beyond - Liked Heavy Rain, Beyond looks promising
Ni no kuni - One of most beautful looking game of next year
Final Fantasy 14 -Not much hyped with FF 14 but hopefully will be good since i am FF fan
Yakuza 5 [Hopefully comes via psn]
Sly Cooper thevies in times - loved Sly a lot cant wait to play this

PSN Games like
Rain
Gucamelee
Dynasty Warrior 7
Jump all stars

Multi platform games which interest me are
MGR Revengence
GTA 5
Bioshock Infinte
South Park: The Stick of Truth
Dead Space 3
Castlevania lord of shadows 2
Anarchy Reigns

Bgamer90

Banned
How are we even sure the next gen systems will be here in 2013?

New Xbox is pretty much a given I think... Gears coming out during early 2013.

Why release a game like that during the same time in which multiple big name titles are coming out? Why not release it during the Fall to even things out?

Obvious that they are saving something for the Fall of next year.

Derrick01

Banned
New Xbox is pretty much a given I think... Gears coming out during early 2013.

Why release a game like that during the same time in which multiple big name titles are coming out? Why not release it during the Fall to even things out?

Obvious that they are saving something for the Fall of next year.

Same with Sony, they're pushing almost all of their 2013 games to the first 5 months. I'm not sure when Beyond is supposed to come out but I think it was Summer. They even had the balls to put Last of Us in May which is GTA month.

So obviously they have something big planned too.

It'll be an interesting year no doubt, heck even a great year, but not the best in a while I think, I mean sure two new consoles are probably releasing next year, but all the really interesting stuff for them probably wont arrive until 2014-2015, though one can hope for some decent and interesting launch games. I am looking forward to GTAV , luigi's mansion and pikmin 3, et all though.

Sissel

It all hinges on what Nintendo brings to Fall 2013, whether the 720/PS4 launch and on GTA V/ Last of Us delivering. Because I definitely have my doubts about the other big hitters in 2013, namely Bioshock, Tomb Raider, GoW (both lol), etc.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
It should be better than this year at least... hopefully. 2012 was very disappointing outside of a selection of handheld titles for me.

Valnen

Nah. New hardware is only as useful as the software it supports, and if PS4 isn't BC then I have no reason to move to next gen in 2013.

Fjordson

Nah. Best year in a long time (or ever) seems to crop up before almost every year, but things get delayed, end up being disappointing, etc.

I do think it'll be better than 2012, though.

Neff

I'm not at all interested in anything next year, save for Wonderful 101 and Dead Space 3, which I'm currently lukewarm on. If we get Bayonetta 2, which I doubt we will, then fantastic.

2012 will go down as one of the all-time greats for gaming, imo.

Neiteio

Anarchy Reigns in January and Fire Emblem: Awakening, Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance and Rayman Legends in February... :O

A good start!

Raonak

Banned
Final year of university, shitload of good games coming out, next gen consoles announced.

Revengence, god of war, beyond, the last of us, bioshock, forgetting the rest.

man, it's gonna be fucking awesome.

Only things I'm looking forward to next year are Blade & Soul, Final Fantasy XIV: ARR, and Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen (still hoping for a PC port, at that). PSO2 is already here (for me), so that doesn't count.

I have basically no interest in console-exclusives so none of the games mentioned in the OP tickle my fancy, plus there's too many sequels...

I think there's potential. Really looking forward to The Last of Us, Bioshock Infinite and Rayman Legends quite a bit; I have more anticipation for those games than anything that came out in 2012, honestly. Nintendo will also have 1 or more big titles lined up for next holiday that haven't been announced yet, and it'll be interesting to see what they've got in store. Plus at least one new system launch, in all likelihood. A lot to look forward to, even if a lot of those things are unknowns.

SparkTR

It's not the best, but hell yeah it looks better that 2012, and I liked this year a lot. There are plenty of games I'm interested in coming out next year.

Rome II: Total War
Europa Universalis IV
Eador: Masters of the Broken World
Company of Heroes 2
Mount & Blade 2
Amnesia A Machine for Pigs
GTAV
Routine
Grim Dawn
Arma 3
DayZ
Sim City
The Last of Us
Carmageddon Reincarnation
Path of Exile
Hotline Miami 2
Shadowrun Returns
Wasteland 2
Doublefine Adventure
Fortnite
Rise of the Triad
South Park
Dead State

Overall it's looking like a strategy fans wet dream.

And this is without considering next generation consoles.

Lingitiz

There's so much potential, but alot of these games could be total bummers if they're being rushed out to hit before the new consoles launch. Some of the sequels too are just totally unnecessary. DS3, Gears, and GoW all look really dull at this point.

I'm way more excited but what's going to come out of nowhere and surprise like this 2012, especially in the later half of 2013.

Hell yeah it looks better, there are plenty of games I'm interested in coming out next year.

Rome II: Total War
Europa Universalis IV
Eador: Masters of the Broken World
Company of Heroes 2
Mount & Blade 2
Amnesia A Machine for Pigs
GTAV
Routine
Grim Dawn
Arma 3
DayZ
Sim City
The Last of Us
Carmageddon Reincarnation
Path of Exile
Hotline Miami 2
Shadowrun Returns
Wasteland 2
Doublefine Adventure
Fortnite

Overall it's looking like a strategy fans wet dream.

And this is without considering next generation consoles.
That's a great list. Hopefully it's going to be an even better year for PC games than 2012 was. I'd add Starbound as well, that game looks really fantastic.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
I'm trying to think of anything coming out in 2013 that has me really excited and I'm coming up empty. I mean there is a bunch of awesome kickstarter stuff supposedly coming out next year, but I think most of it's being delayed to 2014.

I hope Bioshock is good but given it's extremely troubled development I have my worries.

TUSR

Banned
BioShock Infinite, The Last of Us, Dota 2, Super TIME Force, Ridiculous Fishing, Proteus, The Witness, Antichamber, Hundreds, Monaco, Gone Home, new Xbox, probably Steambox, maybe PS4, possibly Wii U games that humans care about, probably not new Valve stuff but you never know.

I think it will be, even if a good chunk of that stuff turns out poorly. : )

what?

Prime came out in 2004, that was a good year.

Majanew

Banned
2010 was the best ever.

2011 > 2010

2013 should be awesome. Not only with at least one new next-gen system launching, the games in the first half of the year for 360/PS3 is pretty stacked. Tomb Raider, Dead Space 3, The Last of Us on my eye.

GCX

Mhmm.

How about 2005?.... oh snap Resident Evil 4. Good year too
But besides RE4 what else was there?

Gran Turismo 4, Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory aaand... maybe some DS stuff like Advance Wars: Dual Strike and Mario Kart DS.

There were a few real standout but I wouldn't call the year great just based on that.

ohlawd

But besides RE4 what else was there?

Gran Turismo 4, Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory aaand... maybe some DS stuff like Advance Wars: Dual Strike and Mario Kart DS.

There were a few real standout but I wouldn't call the year great just based on that.

Resident Evil 4 is one of my favorite games of all time. I don't remember much from that year either but RE4 alone makes up for it :)

I think Shadow of the Colossus came out that year too but I hate that game now >_>

AniHawk

2011 was much better than 2010, come on.

And 2013 better be good, 2012 was highly disappointing for the most part.

you've activated my list card.

2010:
monster hunter tri
gran turino 5
red dead redemption
bayonetta
vanquish
infinite space
super mario galaxy 2
sin & punishment: star successor
super meat boy
3d dot game heroes
mega man 10
metal gear solid: peace walker
starcraft ii
dragon quest ix
civilization v
god of war iii
blur
fallout: new vegas
assassin's creed: brotherhood
halo reach
lara croft an the guardian of light
scott pilgrim vs. the world
goldeneye
sonic colors
darksiders
kingdom hearts: birth by sleep
mass effect 2

2011:
rayman origins
portal 2

Robso

It very much could be. Early part of next year looks great, but we'll have to reserve judgement for the latter months.

Top Bottom