• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GameStick - $79 2" Inch portable Android console. Rival to Ouya.

Card Boy

Banned
Just saw this on TotalBiscuits channel and didn't see a thread. The only mention i saw of this was in the Kickstarter thread.

It's called the GameStick, it's a portalable 2" inch games console and can be considered a rival to Ouya. The GameStick is set to cost $79 including the controller and stick. Basically it plugs into the back of any TV with a HDMI in port.

Technical Specifications

Processor - Amlogic 8726-MX
Memory - 1GB DDR3 / 8GB FLASH
Content Download Manager w/ cloud storage for games.
WiFi - 802.11 b/g/n
Bluetooth - LE 4.0
O/S - Android Jelly Bean
Controller - Bluetooth, 3 mode controller: gamepad, mouse and keyboard with support for up to 4 controllers.
Full 1080p HD video decoding

4xUid.png

Heres the Prototype

Heres what the UI looks like

3Bajc.png

From the Kickstarter page they seem to have Blue Toad Murder Files, Shadowgun and Modern Combat 4 running on this this, so it seems about on par with Ouya graphically despite the lower specs.

I'm excited for stuff like this. Hopefully it changes the way developers make these mobile phone games and start to develop with controller schemes in mind.

The GameStick has reached it's funding goal of $100K with 27 more days to go.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/872297630/gamestick-the-most-portable-tv-games-console-ever

ponpo

( ≖‿≖)
That controller looks pov-er-tee but prototype I guess.

But yeah, are there really that many Android games people want to play on a TV? Or are these guys / Ouya hoping people start developing just for these devices?

1-D_FTW

Looks interesting. But WTF with the button labeling. They couldn't find a non-patented scheme better than that?

mclem

It appears to have shoulder buttons.

I wonder what the left shoulder button is called.

Edit: Also, does it draw power from the HDMI port? Wasn't aware that was possible.

Smart idea. Put the console in the controller. Looks way too small though; don't feel bad to make it bigger.

Neat idea though. And yeah those buttons are cuntish.
And yeah its likely a con or a'bandwagon'. Most of the money will surely pay their own wages.
Some would argue that they'd be better investing their own time and make their wages back in profit.

'Some' would argue.

Yet another cheap android "game system"... there will be another million Ouya competitors out in the next year as China makes a move to capitalize on Ouya.

I like how it's portable, the stick fits in the top of the pad when not in use and when plugged in it's powered by a modern HDMI port or a spare USB port on the tv itself. Reasonable power.

The way it looks will scare most people away compared to the baby console looking ouya, but i'm interested in seeing both doing well.

Wait... HDMI ports can power devices? oO

You need a modern HDMI version called something that I forget, they can supply power, not sure on the limit.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
I am cracking up at the idea that someone actually named something they're planning to sell gamestick.

If more TV's had MHL support (Power from HDMI port) I'd be interested. There's something appealing about plugging a system into your TV with no cords.

Munin

Who needs this shit? Seriously, is there anyone who wants really to play 99 cent Android/iOS games on a HDTV or something?

Would it shock me that some cheap junk machine outsells minimum $400 consoles? Not really.

HD Consoles are becoming what PC has become - machines for hobby enthusiasts. The problem is on PC you can make lots of money selling 5-15$ games, with flexible pricing. You cannot do that in a closed ecosystem with royalty fees paid to console developers.

jiggles

Banned
I think the big problem with this kind of space is that the hardware is low spec enough that if it shows signs of taking off, TV manufacturers will just build the equivalent right in to their sets as standard and cut out the middle man.

Would it shock me that some cheap junk machine outsells minimum $400 consoles? Not really.

It definitely would and you know MS and Sony and Nintendo would start paying attention. It's a rival to a game machine. For every Grandma that bought a Tiger system back in the day was one less Game Boy being sold for the most part. These 'knockoffs' usually will eat into 'some' sales, how much is unknown.

I mean, $79-100 isn't cheap. When people make that type of investment (besides enthusiasts) you'll usually see them only using that particular medium for a while. Much like many of my friends bought a Wii for their families and thought it was ridiculous that I also had a PS3 and 360 along with a gaming PC.

While this "probably" will not cannibalize sales of the systems in a major way, it definitely will deter some from buying a full system. Whether that number is significant is to be seen.

Plus, you throw a screen in the middle of that controller and it's a Wii U gamepad amirite?!

Who needs this shit? Seriously, is there anyone who wants really to play 99 cent Android/iOS games on a HDTV or something?

I probably would. I think it's a pretty great idea. Especially if more games start implementing cloud saves. There are some really fun Android games out there.

This, in no way, will replace my love for console/PC/dedicated handheld gaming but I think it's a pretty neat idea being able to quickly plug something in easily to any HDTV and start playing.

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
Why don't they just use A down, B left, X right and Y up :(. Other than that: Would I be able to play the Monkey Ball download games on this, or do the games have to be designed specifially for the console? Interested if the former, not interested if the latter :D.

I think the big problem with this kind of space is that the hardware is low spec enough that if it shows signs of taking off, TV manufacturers will just build the equivalent right in to their sets as standard and cut out the middle man.

For what I can tell this also has it's own storefront or something controlled by them, something to give them a little control on what is going on with the device to keep it original, at least the OUYA is doing that so it can be it's own thing.

If a tv company builds this stuff in they would most likely get an agreement with google to feature the play store, then it needs to be filtered to pad / tv only games, it's a long way off so time will tell.

While this "probably" will not cannibalize sales of the systems in a major way, it definitely will deter some from buying a full system. Whether that number is significant is to be seen.

It is significant as evidenced by the raise of Apps and struggles of 3DS and Vita, and now WiiU in the West. A lot of people who would've bought an HD console in the past realized $0.99 games are enough for them.

Why don't they just use A down, B left, X right and Y up :(.

Patented already.

Talamius

Like others have said in the thread, this is a logical next step for TV manufacturers. Link your account to the TV and you can use whatever apps you've already bought for your smartphone/tablet. You can even use your smartphone or tablet as a remote.

The thought of TVs being shipped with "capable" gaming hardware built in should scare the hell out of the Big 3. It's not there yet, but it might not be long.

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
Really? But noone ever uses it? Who patented [SOMETHING] just to not use it?

That's how the patent world works.

edit : oh I forgot the important part : patent infringement -> money.

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
Is that like Lady Gaga's disco stick?

In all honesty this would be cool if Android games were interesting at all to me, which they are not. However if this spurs developers to make more complex Android games then it's a good thing.
I doubt it will happen.

Ashes

Banned
ha ha! I was wondering when this thread would pop up. Op saved me the trouble... :p

What's the best android pc stick? do they allow controllers, mouse/keyboard?

Durante

So performance-wise this is less than half an Ouya. Since I guess that, if it's remotely successful, Ouya could develop into some sort of minimum spec for high-end Android games over the next couple of years, buying into something less powerful with the goal of playing games seems like a bad idea.

Massa

So performance-wise this is less than half an Ouya. Since I guess that, if it's remotely successful, Ouya could develop into some sort of minimum spec for high-end Android games over the next couple of years, buying into something less powerful with the goal of playing games seems like a bad idea.

I would totally buy this over an Oyua because it's fanless, cheaper and runs stock Android with the Play Store. When it comes to power neither device is adequate enough for demanding games, I'd use it for multimedia playback or simple distractions like Tetris or Angry Birds.

Top Bottom