• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GameStick - $79 2" Inch portable Android console. Rival to Ouya.

thefit

I have one of these

mk808_android4.1_mini_pc.jpg

It was $56.00 at Amazon and you can connect any usb rf keyboard/ controller to it. Runs android games just fine.

Card Boy

Banned

R1CHO

Found the exact Chinese model this is based on:

http://kimdecent.en.alibaba.com/product/697853786-213796516/Newest_pocket_TV_Amlogic_8726_MX_Dual_Core_bluetooth.html

$47 in bulk. Delivery in 7-20 days. I'm guessing they have a "unforseen delay", wait about six months until the price hits about $30 and place an order. Start fulfilling in July.

But, but, but... you have to paid for the DESIGN guys! They have a team of experts with years of industry experience making an awesome UI.

AND they have another great team of engineers making all sort of optimizations to the OS, you will see, the android experience is going to be AMAZING on this thing.

Don't trick yourself, this is not a chinese cheap device here, we are talking state of the art supercomputer miniaturization technology. Didn't you see the video?

This is the future you guys, ps4/720 already dead.

9hBqj.png

R1CHO

I have an android phone, but only a couple of apps (and none of them are games). How does the android market handle multiple devices? If I buy a game, can I use it on all devices that it is compatible on? If so, at the same time?

Yes, on all devices, at the same time.

But there is a limit of devices... at least some months ago it was 6 or 10.

Yes, on all devices, at the same time.

But there is a limit of devices... at least some months ago it was 6 or 10.

That's a limit I can live with.

Is it correct to assume I can buy games from the play store (during a sale) even if I don't have a compatible device?

Better pic of this 'console'.

6671-gamestick.jpg

So, pretty much all this 'kickstarter' is for, is to design a new launcher for Jellybean 4.1 which launches games, a movie player & the gallery?

BriBri

Just received this email...

Hi there,

This is a message from Kickstarter Support. We're writing to inform you that a project you backed, GameStick: The Most Portable TV Games Console Ever Created, is the subject of an intellectual property dispute.

The law requires that we remove the project from public view until the process is complete or the dispute is resolved. If we are not able to re-post it within 30 days, we will cancel the project, all pledge authorizations will expire, and the project will be permanently unavailable.

If you’d like to manage your pledge, you can do so through the project page:

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects...most-portable-tv-games-console-ever?ref=email

If you have any questions, we encourage you to message the creator directly. You can also do this from the project page.

Thanks so much for your patience and cooperation,
Kickstarter

Hi there,

This is a message from Kickstarter Support. We're writing to inform you that a project you backed, GameStick: The Most Portable TV Games Console Ever Created, is the subject of an intellectual property dispute.

The law requires that we remove the project from public view until the process is complete or the dispute is resolved. If we are not able to re-post it within 30 days, we will cancel the project, all pledge authorizations will expire, and the project will be permanently unavailable.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects...most-portable-tv-games-console-ever?ref=email

If you have any questions, we encourage you to message the creator directly. You can also do this from the project page.

Kickstarter

Welp. There goes the neighborhood.

qiOiA.png

Creating new thread for those that have backed but are unaware of this.

NewFresh

Hi there,

Kickstarter

Oh man....

Card Boy

Banned
So this is just another thing to play shadowgun on, and some emulators.

Ok.

You got to look at the positives this (including Ouya, Shield) has for Android gaming in general. It means more developers will be developing with a controler scheme in mind instead of just touch screens.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
What a bunch of bullshit on this stat.

Why the fuck would they make something like that up? Trying to make this seem as scammy as possible?

To be fair, it's not a number they plucked out of thin air; it's sourced from here (or more accurately, the 2003 edition of The World Factbook).

ponpo

( ≖‿≖)
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects...t-portable-tv-games-console-ever/posts/394710

Product update talking about the controller.

As you will see we have rounded the edges quite a bit so that our controller feels better in the hand. We then lost the groove between the middle section of the controller and the top deck so that it feels smooth all round. This helps keep the controller clean and also makes it feel more comfortable. Then we extended the palm grips so that they feel more substantial (for those tense moments just before you die in your favorite game) and also changed the magic ratio between the top and bottom edges, adding 3mm to the leading edge so that the controller sits more naturally in your hand. Next we looked at textures and surfaces, the result being that we will have a polished top deck, a metalized middle section and a rubberized bottom deck, which we think will feel lovely.

We made the D pad rubber so it feels nice to touch and provides good levels of grip. We changed the PLAY buttons to XBYA to make it as easy as possible for developers to port their games. We improved the analog sticks to use full multi-way + switch systems and rubberized the mushroom caps. We support a full a 45 degree tilt angle so that you can very accurately control the games you love to play. We also made the home button rubber so that going ‘home’ felt welcoming. We are now working on the underside of the controller and are exploring a couple of ideas that we hope to post in a couple of weeks. But we didn't stop there.

We hated the idea of having to keep plugging your controller in to charge it up (although it supports around 40 hours of game play on a single charge) and so we wanted to add a contact based charging system and also to support a full wireless charging solution that could be built in to the GameStick Dock. To do this we extruded the bottom casing of the controller in one area to only 1mm thick so that it could accept a wireless charging coil.

At the outset of this project we wanted to be able to power the GameStick from its controller so that you could stream games directly from the controller to any screen that was Miracast enabled. It is too early to go in to a lot of detail about this (but we will as soon as we can), suffice to say that we believe that in the future all of the components to run a game can and will be stored directly in the controller. You will then simply decide which screen you want to stream your games to.

We have been pioneering this work and to lay the foundation we wanted to ensure that our controller was future proof. To accommodate this we have worked on two key things; 1) re-locating the GameStick to the back of the controller so that it can more easily accept power and dissipate heat and 2) we have added a micro USB fitting in to the transport slot, which we have renamed as the Active Power Slot. This acts in two ways, a) it is a useful retaining system to keep the GameStick in the controller and b) it provides a mechanism to power GameStick from within the controller.

e_i

From their update email (OMG! An update):

Sameer has joined us as Head of Games. He comes from PopCap who are famous for Plants vs. Zombies and Bejeweled, among others. He has promised us a big reveal by the end of March. However, we don't want to keep you all waiting any longer, so we will start announcing confirmed games every day from tomorrow until we ship!

goldenpp72

While you're spending whatever money you are on your S3 (much more than $99 I'm sure), I'll just pick up my $99 OUYA and plug it into my tv and laugh right back at you.

Your point is?

Hmm, I only paid 100 bucks for my galaxy note 2, what are the specs of Ouya in comparison? I mean, I need a phone so why not?

bjork

That riptide game looks pretty cool. I wonder how this will do, the price point is low enough to make a good holiday gift for people that are casual about games.

This thing is supposed to have just shipped.

I moved, and tried getting in touch with them so I could have the package held at a distribution center, but they haven't responded to me.

I'm pretty much done backing Kickstarters like this.

Top Bottom