• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Netflix won't show HD for last few days

Status
Not open for further replies.

Riggs

Banned
2414345061.png

Anyway I cannot get anything to show in HD, I have the 7.99 stream option and HD (Best quality) is enabled in my Netflix account settings.

Tried streaming via 360 and my PC, HD just won't work. Found a few people with same problem on twitter but not much. Anyone else noticing really long load times, or no HD streaming in the past few days?

Also rebooted my Modem / Router (Same unit it's a gateway), everything is hard wired in my place.

sangreal

can't you force it on pc? iirc its ctrl+alt+shit+s

pretty sure there is a hidden menu on 360 too.. try konami code

canonj

I'm still able to get HD, however I've noticed over the past couple of weeks that I'm only getting High HD instead of the usual X-High. I don't really care since High HD still looks really good to me, but perhaps it's related.

Riggs

Banned
I don't want to state the obvious but are the movies\tv shows you've tried offered in HD?

Definitely.

can't you force it on pc? iirc its ctrl+alt+shit+s

pretty sure there is a hidden menu on 360 too.. try konami code

Well that works, but it just loads extremely slowly now , but it is in HD lol. Maybe it's my ISP's fault , who knows. Never seen loading times like this for Netflix usually it's pretty much like 5-10 sec max. This is unusable , probably my ISP at this point.

The Ctrl+Alt+Shift+S works I mean't, not sure of a way to do this on 360. This is so useless though since it cannot buffer anything, acts like I am on 56k. I could go download the current movie in 1080P illegally and be done by the time this finishes buffering hah. (Not that I will do that of course!)

I've been having similar problems the past few days. I thought it was on my end but I've tried everything.

Watching Amazon Prime at the moment hoping that the issue will past.

Riggs

Banned
I've been having similar problems the past few days. I thought it was on my end but it's but I've tried everything.

Watching Amazon Prime at the moment hoping that the issue will past.

What ISP do you have if you don't mind me asking?

CFMOORE!

I noticed that my videos have been buffering a shit ton in the last 4-5 days. I'm in SoCal, though.

wow. i've noticed the same thing happening to me too. i just moved recently to a FIOS neighborhood in socal and i was starting to chalk it up to that switch even though i am on 50/25 speed.

shuri

Banned
Same thing here, its buffering a lot. I think tons of people got netflix over xmas and they are unable to cope with the demand.

V

Vilix

Unconfirmed Member
I get the same thing too.

2414405621.png

Up until a month ago I no problem viewing HD videos on Netflix in HD. But then buffering became slower. It takes a while to get up to HD, but it won't stay there for very long. I'm streaming Netflix through my 360.

V

Vilix

Unconfirmed Member
Perhaps you are being throttled?

Don't think that's the issue. Not in my case anyway. Whenever I stream a movie from XBL Video, like The Dark Night Rises, it comes through in 1080p the entire time. I think this might be a Netflix server issue.

Tabris

You know they can throttle you for specific websites/services? I bet you comcast is throttling heavy netflix users for just netflix.

Azar

I'm in SF on a pretty good Comcast connection and noticed Netflix jumping between quality settings like crazy after Christmas. It was really annoying.

V

Vilix

Unconfirmed Member
You know they can throttle you for specific websites/services? I bet you comcast is throttling heavy netflix users for just netflix.

Really? Grrr. I want my MT...umm...Netflix!

I'm still able to get HD, however I've noticed over the past couple of weeks that I'm only getting High HD instead of the usual X-High. I don't really care since High HD still looks really good to me, but perhaps it's related.

They no longer offer X-High quality.
They switched to lower bitrates in favor of higher resolutions,

Same problem for me. I just assumed it was because there were more wi-fi connected devices at my house since Christmas.

Could be Comcast doing it, but I've had Netflix for a long time, and have never had this problem. Could be something new though.

rykomatsu

same issue....i'm on comcast too...
aren't the pc streaming and device streaming ec2 servers different if that makes a difference?

Bgamer90

Banned
Alright, nice to see that it isn't just me. I've been having problems too and I have a 20 Mbps FiOS connection.

I'm guessing it's due to the increasing traffic over the break as well as people getting Internet devices for presents.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
I've been having problems with HD as well. The quality has been fluctuating quite a bit for the last week+. Nice to see that I'm not the only one.

verbum

On Christmas day, Amazon's S3 servers that handle Netflix went down. I wonder if they are having to rebuild the server array thereby losing some capacity.

Raistlin

They no longer offer X-High quality.
They switched to lower bitrates in favor of higher resolutions,
My understand is that's a different 'issue' ... and it's not actually an issue per se. They switched their encoding algorithm to one with higher efficiency, and the players don't see it as 'X-High' even though it's displaying comparable resolution and performance.

What's being discussed here are problems receiving an HD stream at all.

Completely off topic: is anyone else confused by the thread's title? My wife sometimes also uses "will" or "won't" (future tense) to describe something that occurs regularly (in the past or present), even though has, hasn't, does, doesn't are all more logical. What's the source of this colloquialism?

V

Vilix

Unconfirmed Member
I'll check tonight - but my quick answer is yes. I have a hardwired connection and it acts like I am on a wireless ADSL connection.

Thanks. Before November I was getting 3 bars and HD watching Netflix through my hardwared 360. Now it's one bar, will go up to two bars, then back down one bar, then all the way up HD towards the end of the program.

smr00

Banned

harSon

Banned
I have Comcast and Netflix has no problems reaching HD for me. My connection drops from 30mb/s to 26mb/s when using Netflix, which is pretty normal. I live in the Bay Area (California)

V

Vilix

Unconfirmed Member
Just tested and it didn't happen to me. Maybe it's also based on peak hours or something.

This could be it too. I watch Netflix after the news, around 8pm. However, I was watching something in HD during Sunday and it was streaming just fine in HD.

I'm not having any problems with watching movies on Xbox Videos in 1080p, or experiencing lag when playing over XBL.

Riggs

Banned
I have BH too (their Lightning package), and I've noticed this as well. The HD stream simply doesn't last for the entire video.
Still happening to me. On 360/PS3/PC I can't even get HD even though best quality is enabled in my account. All hard wired. Power cycled numerous times, pretty sure BH is throttling at this point.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom