• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony Phablet casing spotted - 6.44" 1080p

Status
Not open for further replies.
http://www.engadget.com/2013/01/21/sony-factory-photo/

sony-big-phone-lead.jpg

There's a million things this could be: a fake, a prototype, the spawn of some renegade lathe, we just don't know. What we can say is that the photo above was posted to the Chinese-language Digi-wo forum by someone who reckons it could be a component for a 6.44-inch, 1080p Sony phablet. The bezels on the side look slightly skinnier than those on the similarly sized 6.1-inch Huawei Ascend Mate -- although we might be imagining that, and in any case the Ascend Mate has the advantage of definitely being real.

A 6.44" 1080p phablet. Holy shit. I said in the other thread, it feels more like a tabphone than a phablet, but holy shit, 6.44"!

I hope this uses their haptic feedback pen and has multitasking like the Note series.

Zeppu

phantastic.

seriously that's massive, but hey, if no one wants it, no one will buy it. and it will die.

Tenck

phantastic.

seriously that's massive, but hey, if no one wants it, no one will buy it. and it will die.

Except people will buy it and big phones aren't going away.

I'd buy it if I wasn't already pleased with Samsung.

Haunted

sidetalking is back?

will it make people look as stupid as taking photos with an ipad?

All these questions and more.

Mokubba

I'm fine with the Xperia Z and even that took some convincing since I originally wanted a 4.5 inch phone. 6.44 is something else entirely

I always thought it'd be fun to buy a big phone of the phablet type, then give it to children and people with small hands and watch them complain that they just can't hold it.

Since my hands are big enough and I like big screens, I'd totally buy something like this.

I have big hands, and while i'd have to stretch my thumb to cover the whole screen, I could. However this is just a bit too big from the sounds of it. It does look longer and leaner than what I'd expect a 6.44" phablet to look like. Perhaps its not an aspect ratio we're expecting.

Not really. I would make or receive calls with a Samsung Galaxy Note 2 but not a Nexus 7 or an iPad mini (which is even bigger).

Pictures like this make me loathe the "Click to view" of GAF.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
That's way way WAY too big. I'm really not liking this trend towards massive phones. Why the fuck are people buying into this? If you carry a purse or some sort of bag, it's one thing, but I really hate carrying a large, bulky device around in my pockets.

That's way way WAY too big. I'm really not liking this trend towards massive phones. Why the fuck are people buying into this? If you carry a purse or some sort of bag, it's one thing, but I really hate carrying a large, bulky device around in my pockets.

That guy has an average sized hand (Bordering on he small side) and when I look at it it looks no more wider than the Note 2, perhaps more narrow, just taller. That wouldnt be a problem for me. Would it still be a problem for you?>

dark10x

That guy has an average sized hand (Bordering on he small side) and when I look at it it looks no more wider than the Note 2, perhaps more narrow, just taller. That wouldnt be a problem for me. Would it still be a problem for you?>
The problem ISN'T that I couldn't hold it, rather, that it takes up more room in my pocket. The Note II is way too big already.

The problem ISN'T that I couldn't hold it, rather, that it takes up more room in my pocket. The Note II is way too big already.

How many things do you put in the same pocket as your phone? I can understand putting keys and your wallet in the same pocket, but not the phone.

The problem becomes thickness with pockets unless you have shallow pockets as some designer jeans do.

dark10x

My pockets easily hold my note 2.
Good for you, I find it uncomfortable.

The problem I have is that these large phones are slowly become the standard rather than the exception.

How many things do you put in the same pocket as your phone? I can understand putting keys and your wallet in the same pocket, but not the phone.
Nothing, of course, but I don't like the feel of a large object in my pocket. It's annoying. I don't want a phone this big and I sure as hell don't need it.

CiSTM

Banned
Stylus or no stylus? I don't get the idea behind big ass screen if you don't put it in use. Why is Samsung only one to get this?

I'll make the sacrifiec for Note 2 since I love stylus and larger the screen, easier to take notes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom