• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"Tuning up the gameplay" in Wind Waker HD: What could be done, other than dungeons?

Neiteio

Lock if this already has a dedicated thread -- searched and didn't see any.

Talk of this game usually revolves around the graphics. I'm more curious about how they're "tuning up the gameplay," as they put it in the Nintendo Direct.

I doubt they will add dungeons -- the cut ones were reportedly incorporated into TP, and I suspect they'd rather work on dungeons for the new Zelda. Not to mention, if they were planning such substantial new content, they probably would've used more specific language than "tuning up the gameplay."

So, I wouldn't get my hopes up for new dungeons. However, there are many other areas they could address for a tighter, more focused experience. Off the top of my head:
  • Removing/reducing the tedious process of changing wind direction while sailing
  • Adding extra warp points for faster quick travel across the Great Sea
  • Streamlining or simplifying the search for the Triforce shards
  • Adjusting the difficulty -- some criticize TWW as the easiest Zelda game
  • Addressing the sparse overworld, with more islands to break up the emptiness
  • Tingle Tuner integration via the GamePad to enable it in single-player
Also, maybe "tuning the gameplay" includes touch-enabled sub-screens on the GamePad, for quick item selection, map navigation, etc. Personally, I think that would merit its own bullet-point, but there's no way they'd NOT incorporate that feature, right?

Of course, off-TV play on the GamePad and Miiverse integration were their own bullet-points, so they're not part of the "fine-tuning."

What other ways could they improve the game?

Neiteio

Turning down the sailing?
Do you mean they should find a way to reduce the amount of sailing, period? Like by shrinking each square on the map so you have less water to traverse, or speeding up the boat, or adding extra warp points, or simplifying wind direction control?

All of what you said is what I've been thinking. More islands would be nice, but maybe Nintendo don't want to go through the trouble and if so, why not just make the world smaller and put the islands closer to each other?

Do you mean they should find a way to reduce the amount of sailing, period? Like by shrinking each square on the map so you have less water to traverse, or speeding up the boat, or adding extra warp points, or simplifying wind direction control?

All of that.

Seda

I can't see them eliminating the Triforce quest outright, but they could significantly reduce the price for Tingle's translations of the charts. Or perhaps not require translations at all.

t26

Use the same system from Phantom Hourglass.

noffles

Banned
The Legend of Zelda: Master Quest 2: Electric Boogaloo.

Seriously though, give Wind Waker a master quest that's completely inane and not designed well just like OoT's one and I'll be happy about it even though I'll moan that it's absolute shit while I'm playing it.

Sorian

Banned

Speed up the damn boat. I don't want to feel like I'm going 2 miles an hour over 100 miles of ocean.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
Hold Wind Waker wand button + push a direction on the stick = new wind direction. Short musical theme follows.

Neiteio

All of what you said is what I've been thinking. More islands would be nice, but maybe Nintendo don't want to go through the trouble and if so, why not just make the world smaller and put the islands closer to each other?
Yeah, probably makes more sense to just shrink the amount of water you travel, so it takes less time to get from one island to the next. (I actually like the vastness of the sea, but I'm in the minority in that respect.)

In terms of adding new islands, I didn't mean anything major -- just an extra pocket of land here and there, with a hidden grotto on it or something. Just more opportunities to get rupees for things like the Tingle translations.

Speaking of which:

I can't see them eliminating the Triforce quest outright, but they could significantly reduce the price for Tingle's translations of the charts. Or perhaps not require translations at all.
Eliminating the Tingle translations might be a good idea. Maybe they could remove the translations to streamline the Triforce quest, and come up with a new use for Tingle?

Quackula

I'd really rather them not touch the sailing outside of maybe making changing wind direction faster.

I loved how absolutely gigantic that ocean was and I loved everything about sailing across it. Seeing that tiny dot on the horizon slowly turn out to be a huge island is just the best experience.

Elios83

Considering that the last part of the game (the triforce quest) was rushed and poorly designed, they have their work to do.

Bulzeeb

I never understand that complaint.
Just use a guide and it's done in 15 minutes.

never used a guide but that was done pretty quick, take into account that I was a compulsive treasure hunter of the sea so finding the triforce was an average day for me hehe

Among all the good sugestions already mentioned here, i would add that an adjustment needs to be made about having to use the baton every time you want to control a companion character.

-Using the Upad as a camera for the figurines.
-Eliminate compas from dungeons and substitute them with the map system of the DS ones. That is the user actually have to scribble over the map for treasure chest, doors, etc.

A dream feature would be Wii Remote support like Skyward Sword, it would fit really nice with the Baton of Wind.

vctor182

Also, maybe "tuning the gameplay" includes touch-enabled sub-screens on the GamePad, for quick item selection, map navigation, etc.

This. As much as I would like more dungeons and less sea exploration they won't do it. They're using this game to test ideas for the new Zelda game.

Coolwhip

Banned
Not having to do the song every time you change the wind direction would be great idd. And there should be a time attack mode where they show Cosmo as a ghost.

squid

I'd never played WindWaker until I bought it early last year. Wish I didn't do that now :-(

Still... I only ever got half way through... And the WiiU improvements are pretty tempting, especially with this 'tuning up' of the gameplay... Damn you Nintendo, it's going to be hard to resist double-dipping on this game!

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Changing the wind direction quickly would be the most ideal addition.

I think they could adjust the Triforce Quest so it's a little less tedious. No need to remove it completely. If you could summon Tingle to translate maps from anywhere and drop the price then that would counter two of the biggest complaints during that part.

They'd need to make sailing less boring for those that didn't enjoy it. Speeding up the boat is certainly the easiest method. Would be nice if they made the sharks less annoying. Oh and make the music during those bit linger longer. It's annoying how it constantly faded out just as they were swimming away only for it to fade back in as they uturn back at me.

I dunno, by that point in the game I'm typically swimming in Rupees, with nothing better to spend them on.

I'd hope that they improve the AI in the Stealth section (I remember it being a bit hit and miss) and also integrate all the cool tingle stuff you got when connecting a GBA (Will they? Seems like a no-brainer with the Wii U controller)

Please no. Sailing with that music in the background is probably the best feel of adventure I've ever had within a videogame.

Pretty much the only reason why I'm planning on buying this.
My sister owned the GC and the game, so I can't just play it anytime I want.

LakeEarth

- another big island with a purpose
- no triforce hunting
- the Pirate Ship is a dungeon (realizing that it wasn't was my biggest disappointment in the game)
- things to buy so that finding money wasn't pointless
- that statue-generating camera should be able to hold WAY more pictures
- speed up sailing and changing wind directions

DaBoss

Make changing the wind direction easy. It was pretty annoying having to play a song each time and change the wind direction. Sailing would have been much more bearable if it were easier.

Cornbread78

[*]Removing/reducing the tedious process of changing wind direction while sailing
[*]Adding extra warp points for faster quick travel across the Great Sea
[*]Streamlining or simplifying the search for the Triforce shards
[*]Addressing the sparse overworld, with more islands to break up the emptiness

Turning down the sailing?

The sailing to me was just as bad and boring as it was in Suikoden IV. It definately needs to be fixed to give more things to do going from point a to b.

They'll make sailing and changing the direction of the wind less of a chore, and perhaps replace treasure maps for Triforce shards with other prizes, and instead just automatically put the markers on the Sea Chart without needing to find maps in order to find the dungeons containing the shards.

I don't think "tune up" should imply to anyone that they're going to add more dungeons to the game. That kind of expectation for an HD remake is likely going to leave a lot of you very disappointed.

Portugeezer

Please no. Sailing with that music in the background is probably the best feel of adventure I've ever had within a videogame.

Agreed, I loved the sailing. However Nintendo will need to add some new secrets in the game, before I always felt like I could discover something new, now I know a lot of it.

Shion

They could add tons of stuff, especially outside the main-quest.

- New locations

- New towns

- Mini-dungeons scattered around the overworld

- A memorable cast of new NPCs

- New side-quests

- Skies of Arcadia-style discoveries (this would be so awesome)

- They could even add real-time NPC schedules (MM-style) to make the world feel even more alive than before.

Wind Waker's world has SO MUCH potential.

Seda

This would be great.

I remember trying to get Phantom Ganon, Helmarock King, and Tetra during that sequence of the game, only to find out one of your pictures wasn't acceptable (you get a second chance for Phantom Ganon at least).

Neiteio

Among all the good sugestions already mentioned here, i would add that an adjustment needs to be made about having to use the baton every time you want to control a companion character.

-Using the Upad as a camera for the figurines.
-Eliminate compas from dungeons and substitute them with the map system of the DS ones. That is the user actually have to scribble over the map for treasure chest, doors, etc.

A dream feature would be Wii Remote support like Skyward Sword, it would fit really nice with the Baton of Wind.
All of these ideas are excellent.

I can see them using the GamePad screen as the viewfinder for the figurine camera. I just hope they don't mess with the REAL camera -- TWW has the best manual camera system in a Zelda game, so no need to change it.

I also love your idea of allowing players to mark up the map of any given area by using the touchscreen on the GamePad. They haven't had the opportunity to do this before with a console Zelda; it would certainly be a nice use of the GamePad here.

Shig

Strap on your hooker ...
Speed up the boat a bit, excise having to change the wind's direction to move entirely.

Ideally, replace the Triforce hunt with three dungeons. At very least, get rid of the monotonous hot/cold crane game element they all required, and move them instead onto islands with a light puzzle element to solve to reach them.

KiN0

Finding the maps and pieces was fun. It was having to go back to tingle every time that made it tedious.

- no triforce hunting
- the Pirate Ship is a dungeon (realizing that it wasn't was my biggest disappointment in the game)

Money wasn't pointless in that game. Do you not remember how incredibly expensive it was to have Tingle decipher the Triforce shard maps? Thousands of rupees. Not to mention hundreds spent on bait, and then the Beetle shop where he sells an empty bottle for like 500 rupees.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
- no triforce hunting

Forgot about these. Those are good suggestions.

Pociask

I think Wind Waker is already an almost perfect game, but of course, there's always room for improvement. I've gone over some of this stuff in the other thread, but I'd like to see:

• Link be able to hold onto enemy weapons longer, or perhaps have a collection cabinet that fills up with them as you get them. Also, collectable/wearable enemy armor.
  • Start the game with the camera - no limit on number of pictures it can take. Gamepad as camera. Hell, I wouldn't mind if they made it a magical, talking camera that acted like a Metroid Prime scanner, while they were at it.
  • Tingle Tuner Gamepad for one player or two player co-op play. Also, 2 Gamepad play - one person plays Link (Gamepad), one person plays Tetra (Wiimote/Nunchuck), one person plays Tingle (Gamepad).
  • Wiimote/Nunchuck control option, giving pointer control and waggle to fight sword. Also, obviously, Wiimote conducting of the wind.
  • Upgradeable sail on the boat, and/or new boats/boat parts to buy/collect.
  • More dungeons where they obviously should be.
  • Option to get either thrown back in your cell in the Forbidden Fortress in the stealth section, or just fight your way through it.
  • Master Quest, with more, tougher enemies, and different boss patterns. Can play the Master Quest the first time through the game.
  • I didn't mind the Triforce Hunt, since I had done a lot of it by the end anyway, but since it's so reviled, cut back on/improve/or eliminate the Triforce Hunt.
  • Boss rush mode. Three Heart Challenge Mode (can be selected with Master Quest, as well, all pieces of heart are replaced with rupees, beating a boss just gets you 3 hearts). Tetra Mode.
  • More clothing options for Link.
  • More hidden items/weapons. More items/weapons you can spend rupees on.
  • Skippable text.

LakeEarth

Money wasn't pointless in that game. Do you not remember how incredibly expensive it was to have Tingle decipher the Triforce shard maps? Thousands of rupees. Not to mention hundreds spent on bait, and then the Beetle shop where he sells an empty bottle for like 500 rupees.

Ok, at the end of the game you needed money. But before that? Not really.

That's more of a Twilight Princess problem, it was probably bleeding over for that particular complaint.

Basically just remove the triforce hunt. Otherwise nada. Particularly do not chang ethe sailing haha, I can't believe so many of you guys would change that. Every memory I have of Wind Waker starts with that music, sailing across the ocean. It pushed the button of just calm bliss long before flower or journey came along, I loved it.

[*]Adjusting the difficulty -- some criticize TWW as the easiest Zelda game

They would be be wrong as that honour goes to The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess.

The difficulty level in The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker was fine as it wasn't easy but at the same time wasn't hard.

The only thing that I want them to "fix" is the stealth section as that section can be annoying.

I also hope that they don't fix the sailing as I love sailing the Great Sea.

[*]Wiimote/Nunchuck control option, giving pointer control and waggle to fight sword. Also, obviously, Wiimote conducting of the wind.

Oh god I hope that they don't do this. I mean it was fun in Skyward sword but The Wind Waker sword combat wasn't design with the wiimote in mind.

[*]Option to get either thrown back in your cell in the Forbidden Fortress in the stealth section, or just fight your way through it.

With what though as that point you lost your sword and didn't have anything else but your shield and telescope.

Top Bottom