• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"Tuning up the gameplay" in Wind Waker HD: What could be done, other than dungeons?

When you say "actual ship battles," do you mean ship vs. ship combat (which we sort of already have, lobbing cannonballs and such) or do you mean full-scale ships Link physically boards on foot, where you'd proceed to have swashbuckling sword fights above and below deck?
I mean both types. Taking a giant ship for example, say Links first needs to take movility out of the vessel and then proceeds to board. As for the other type, new enemies besides those little stupid ships something more envolving and reactive.

As it is now, the hole ocean portion of the game is wasted because it served just as a shortcut so Nintendo designers could avoid investing lots of time creating land masses. It's the part of the game that needs tweaking the most.

You know... thinking a bit more indepth about the dungeon matter. Nintendo could reduce the amount of shards in the Ocean and put the rest in a dungeon. This "shard dungeon" will require the use of all the items in the game. It can be easily added in map as one island that surfaces once the shrad requirements are met. It would be very similar in concept to the one in SkyWard Sword.

I think that way it could work really well.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Wait, people are complaining about a lack of things to buy...in Wind Waker???

It's basically the only game in the entire series that you need rupees, and quite a few of them at that!

tuffy

If it were just sailing around the map picking up shards at marked spots, it wouldn't be so bad. But having to pay a lot of rupees to find those spots was too much for me to take; I just didn't want to spend ages harvesting cash too. So when they say "tuning up the gameplay", streamlining that quest is the first thing that comes to mind.

Neiteio

I like Refreshment01's "shard dungeon" idea, but again, I doubt we'll get any new dungeons since I think such would've merited its own bullet-point, something to the effect of "Extra content" rather than simply "Tuning up the gameplay." We won't know for sure for awhile, but that's my current line of thought.

Some of the simplest and most reasonable changes suggested include:

- Touch-enabled sub-screens
- Touch-enabled map notation
- Touchscreen used as camera viewfinder
- More snapshots stored in the camera
- Camera available from the start
- Sail set to B when in the boat
- Improving wind direction changing
- Adding warp points on every island
- Increasing ship sailing speed
- New difficulty option, or scalable difficulty
- "Sheikah stones" for optional guidance with shard quest, etc
- Simplify shard quest: Reduce prices, summon him anywhere, etc
- Tingle Tuner integration into GamePad touchscreen

Something that would still be reasonable, but less realistic, would be to add some simple new land masses here and there. Nothing intricate, just something extra to break up the emptiness. Maybe just a grotto, some baddies and some treasure on each.

Neiteio

I haven't really entertained this idea much, but you don't think they would add Wii Remote Plus controls, do you? Might be cool as an option, but seems like it'd be a lot of work, barring a simple mapping like in Twilight Princess. Would work nicely with the baton conducting, though.

Revven

Wait, people are complaining about a lack of things to buy...in Wind Waker???

It's basically the only game in the entire series that you need rupees, and quite a few of them at that!

Lol yeah if you care to fill Windfall with all the plants to get a Heart Piece.

I haven't really entertained this idea much, but you don't think they would add Wii Remote Plus controls, do you? Might be cool as an option, but seems like it'd be a lot of work, barring a simple mapping like in Twilight Princess. Would work nicely with the baton conducting, though.

If it works like the harp in skyward sword, I don't want it. Maybe they will put more emphasis on the bow because it worked great in Nintendoland.

All you have to do for the triforce hunt is replace the charts with their respective shards. Because I gots to have my villa dungeon with horrifying HD ReDeads.

Make Hyrule its own world.

Constant compass on the gamepad for on-the-fly 360 degree wind direction changing, and more/bigger sails so you move faster.

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
Rip out soundtrack.
Create new soundtrack.

FunnyGifs19.gif

Teknoman

All modern day Zelda games need to up the difficulty on the bosses. Either make their attack patterns faster, or switch of the method of how you damage them with the dungeon item on the second form.

Rip out soundtrack.
Create new soundtrack.

What didnt you like about it?

Neiteio

make it harder. Game was stupidly easy, even by Zelda standards
I know selectable difficulty levels aren't the standard for this series (at least not from the start of the game; Master Quest always comes later), but MAN, I would love to have an option for a Hard mode. Especially since I've already played TWW to death.

Something to infuse that vast, endless ocean with a real sense of threat and danger, so that the fin of a shark or an approaching battleship inspires stark terror.

Or imagine tensing up at the approach of Darknuts and Moblins in Hyrule Castle, knowing one hit from them can nearly kill you, and two will surely mean Game Over.

It would be a nice return to the challenge of the NES Zeldas. It would be simple enough to implement, and again, it would be optional.

I simply want an easier way around the ocean. I love the setting and sailing is cool, but when you have goals, you want to be able to get to them quicker. It shouldn't take as long as it does. I realize there is a warp system but I always found it kind of a chore.

Getting rid of or changing the Triforce hunt would also be swell. I really don't like either visit to the Prison Fortress but I don't think that's going anywhere.

ToxicAdam

There's only one thing holding back this game from perfection and everyone knows what it is. To remedy that part:

Remove the need for Tingle to translate maps or greatly reduce the cost.

Add more Warps

Add variety in the Triforce hunt. Have some hidden in fortresses, create a few new mini-dungeons, put one in the Auction House (etc) or as an ultimate prize at one of the games. There a dozen different ways you can have people hunt for the shards aside from mining the ocean.

Neiteio

I'd love an option after you beat the game to fight each dungeon boss again -- including Ghodan, and in full color, unlike the rematches in Ganon's Castle. OoT 3D added the boss mode, and it even had a time trials element.

Speaking of which, adding a time-tracking method for speed runs would be nice. You could screen-cap the time and post it as proof on Miiverse. Would be a nice standard for Zelda games going forward, if they did it right.

KirbyKid

Oh god I hope that they don't do this. I mean it was fun in Skyward sword but The Wind Waker sword combat wasn't design with the wiimote in mind.

That's why they would have to redesign it. Wind Wake wasn't designed with the Wii U in mind either. See how that works?

ec0ec0

Wind waker was the game that recover that feeling of explorarion that the beginnig of the series had. Please dont change what the game was and what it meant, dont change anything about the size of the sea or the travels. Add new content ,if you need to, to retouch the experience but dont change what wind waker was in the begining.
People asking for nintendo turning wind waker into another game should think about this: nintendo recognized that they rushed the end of the game BUT that has nothing to do with the size of the sea or the travels. That sea was the most important aspect of the game and nintendo designed it how it is with a purpose. All the people that didnt understand this back in the day dint undertand the game so... sorry for you.

andthebeatgoeson

Lock if this already has a dedicated thread -- searched and didn't see any.

Talk of this game usually revolves around the graphics. I'm more curious about how they're "tuning up the gameplay," as they put it in the Nintendo Direct.

I doubt they will add dungeons -- the cut ones were reportedly incorporated into TP, and I suspect they'd rather work on dungeons for the new Zelda. Not to mention, if they were planning such substantial new content, they probably would've used more specific language than "tuning up the gameplay."

So, I wouldn't get my hopes up for new dungeons. However, there are many other areas they could address for a tighter, more focused experience. Off the top of my head:
  • Removing/reducing the tedious process of changing wind direction while sailing
  • Adding extra warp points for faster quick travel across the Great Sea
  • Streamlining or simplifying the search for the Triforce shards
  • Adjusting the difficulty -- some criticize TWW as the easiest Zelda game
    [*]Addressing the sparse overworld, with more islands to break up the emptiness
  • Tingle Tuner integration via the GamePad to enable it in single-player
Also, maybe "tuning the gameplay" includes touch-enabled sub-screens on the GamePad, for quick item selection, map navigation, etc. Personally, I think that would merit its own bullet-point, but there's no way they'd NOT incorporate that feature, right?

Of course, off-TV play on the GamePad and Miiverse integration were their own bullet-points, so they're not part of the "fine-tuning."

What other ways could they improve the game?
One of the biggest ones I want but won't probably get. More islands, more large islands. Sailing would be decent with currents, more ship battles, one or two large land masses. It would radically break the experience but it would be decent with a large land mass or two that would need a few minutes to transverse on foot. Just as simple of moving from the deku tree to the lake in Ocarina of Time. Nothing huge, like Twighlight princess. It would also break the story. But sailing across the barren sea was not as satisfying.

Maybe with just ship battles, the ability to change the wind direction on the fly, more interaction with people, a mechanic that allows a fleshed out ship battle. Again, won't happen.

CrunchyB

I would like realistic sailing.

In real life you don't change the wind direction (lulz), you can go anywhere you want by simply adjusting your course and your sails. It's not hard at all. Sailing is actually fun in real life, but in WW it's completely retarded.

They also need to lower the camera angle and add some waves. Make it look a bit more spectacular.

[*]Adjusting the difficulty -- some criticize TWW as the easiest Zelda game

This was a big one for me. Grass and pots disgorging Rupees and hearts were EVERYWHERE. Very few enemies did more than a heart's worth of damage, too. Tune the former down a couple notches and the latter up a couple notches and you've fixed the game.

mantidor

I really don't want anything besides some control options with the pad.

I understand the people who didn't like the sailing but I found it very enjoyable, same with conducting with the baton, and the triforce shards was very pirate like, finding treasure using maps was very rewarding.

The idea of the camera holding more photos is the only one I've liked so far in this thread.

guek

Banned
I want

optional WM+ support
hard mode available from the start
a new city with 7-10 new side quests

My biggest problem with WW were always the lack of challenge and the fact that there is a single port town in the entire game. I don't expect any substantial new areas though...

but yeah, hard mode. do it, nintendo.

In real life you don't change the wind direction (lulz), you can go anywhere you want by simply adjusting your course and your sails. It's not hard at all. Sailing is actually fun in real life, but in WW it's completely retarded.

They also need to lower the camera angle and add some waves. Make it look a bit more spectacular.

The whole point of the name is that you can control the wind. If you have that ability, why wouldn't you use it ?

fi1ip

Just make the wind changing process faster and that little cutscene skippable.

Everything else can stay the same as far as I'm concerned.

gblues

Banned
If it were up to me (and it's not) I would make it so that the map translations were a lot less expensive, and the maps would lead to a teleport stone or something. The teleport would transport you to the corresponding dungeon in the original LOZ, complete with retro soundtrack and sprites.

mantidor

The game has a kind of a realistic sailing system already, but some people think they need to change the wind direction every time they need to turn, you are not supposed to. You really only need to change it if it's opposite from the direction you want to navigate to.

Revven

I understand the people who didn't like the sailing but I found it very enjoyable, same with conducting with the baton, and the triforce shards was very pirate like, finding treasure using maps was very rewarding..

You're acting like a slight speed up is going to completely negate all of that (it doesn't).

Oh, this is a lovely thread, I can finally talk about this side of things without being buried by constant graphics talk.

I had a few ideas in the other thread, of course we'd all like for a huge improvement that adds in new dungeons and so on but I unfortunately feel that much is out of reach, however there are a few areas that probably could get tuned up.

Locations

- Ghost Ship: Come on, this was perfect mini dungeon material, instead it was just another submarine enemy punch up except filled with poes. Ideally we flesh this out a bit, have a few rooms, nothing major. At the very least some sort of boss battle.

- Ganon's Lair: Pretty bad, if any area was evidence of a rush job then this was surely the one, keep what's there but add a bit more to it.

- I'd of course at least hope for one more dungeon as unlikely as it is, even a small one for the third pearl, the WW's dungeons are what I find to be the weakest batch in the 3D entries, while I don't expect the existing dungeons to take much changes it would be nice to have at least something new the size of OoT's Gerudo training ground or MM's Ikana Castle.

- Add more to the Great Sea when travelling, for all the flak thrown at it Phantom Hourglass did at least manage to keep boat transport a bit more interesting at times, more small things out on the sea to occupy the player, any opportunity for more money is a boon in a game with Tingle pinching every last penny for the chart deciphering. Plus the sea could do with being a bit more lively visually, lets whip up some storms!

Gameplay improvements

- Okay so when i've performed the Command Melody in a dungeon there should be like a button or area on the touch screen that allows an instant character switch for as long as i'm there because replaying the command melody over and over is an irritating interruption.

- Ship combat is uncommon but unwieldy, tuning this up to make it feel less clunky and actually fun would be nice, lets make those various reefs kind of enjoyable!

- A higher difficulty, even if it's just more damage from enemies it will do as Wind Waker is a cakewalk.

- The stealth section at the start of the game is a bit unclear on a few things which makes it a lot of guesswork regarding how far the moblins field of vision extends, something to make this more apparent would be nice because it's not exactly a fun section to replay.

- Echoing sentiments about the camera, that thing is too limited in space.

Music

Wind Waker has an okay soundtrack, when it's at its best it's great but on the flipside at its worst moments it's completely forgettable, give it the SS treatment, part orchestrated for the bigger themes and just touch up the rest.

Never going to happen

- Make the last half of the game as great as the first, it all goes a bit off the rails after the whole Zelda reveal and plods along to the finish, of course fixing this would require the incredibly unlikely more dungeons and ironing out the triforce hunt, i'll be lucky to even get an improved Ghost Ship and Ganon's Lair so yeah this is pretty much wishful thinking.

- To be able to have my Ruin themed boat from PH! screw the king of the red lions, this was my true boat. Okay that conflicts with the games actual plot but at least maybe put in the treasures from PH/ST as a way to make the treasure charts feel more interesting, stuff like joy pendants are a step on the way there but more ways to make money is nothing to sniff at.

Wooo, wishlists!

Roto13

That's why they would have to redesign it. Wind Wake wasn't designed with the Wii U in mind either. See how that works?

Do you? A touch screen can be added to an existing game to just enhance it a little without completely revamping it. (See: Ocarina of Time 3D.) The same can't be said for Skyward Sword combat.

Azar

I hope they get rid of the stupid little cutscene that plays every time your grappling hook locks onto a branch.

Roto13

I hope they get rid of the stupid little cutscene that plays every time your grappling hook locks onto a branch.

But it's so satisfying!

Or just make the Triforce Hunt bearable by adding small dungeons to every piece.

They do that already. The charts are never just sitting there on a rock. There's always some puzzles to solve or enemies to fight or maze to explore.

mantidor

You're acting like a slight speed up is going to completely negate all of that (it doesn't).

I think they struck the right balance, the ocean is supposed to feel big, I don't want it to feel like a pond.

Some light speed increase would be ok, but some people seem to have adhd and want to have lighting fast sailing, it wouldn't fit.

Top Bottom