• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The 2013 Formula 1 Pre-Season Thread |OT| Plenty of Time Left in the Silly Season

Leunam

LrEk6J5.png

Team Launches/Testing said:
January 28
Lotus​

IR946HO.jpg

January 31

McLaren​

6wFsWEr.jpg

February 1

Ferrari​

JQ3CydL.jpg

Force India​

P8eDRGi.jpg

February 2

Sauber​

OeRyCxn.jpg

February 3

Red Bull​

K32zAKp.jpg

February 4

Mercedes​

AnO5xUp.jpg

Toro Rosso​

tAb0jdy.jpg

February 5

Caterham​

fPRuJ4j.jpg

Marussia​

NZj4hok.jpg

First Test: Jerez​
February 19
Williams​

FW35_Angle-gallerywide.JPG

February 19
Second Test: Barcelona​
February 28
Final Test: Jerez​
March 15
Australian Grand Prix​

Driver Lineup - Wax Free Vanilla said:
Infiniti Red Bull Racing

Red Bull Racing RB9 – Renault RS27-2013

Team Principal: Christian Horner / Technical Director: Adrian Newey

1. Sebastian Vettel
2. Mark Webber

Scuderia Ferrari

Ferrari F138 – Ferrari 056

Team Principal: Stefano Domenicali / Technical Director: Pat Fry

3. Fernando Alonso
4. Felipe Massa

Vodafone McLaren Mercedes

McLaren MP4-28 – Mercedes FO108Z1

Team Principal: Martin Whitmarsh / Technical Director: Paddy Lowe, Neil Oatley

5. Jenson Button
6. Sergio Pérez

Lotus F1 Team

Lotus E21 – Renault RS27-2013

Team Principal: Eric Boullier / Technical Director: James Allison

7. Kimi Räikkönen
8. Romain Grosjean

Mercedes AMG Petronas Formula One Team

Mercedes F1 W04 – Mercedes FO108Z1

Team Principal: Ross Brawn / Technical Director: Bob Bell

9. Nico Rosberg
10. Lewis Hamilton

Sauber F1 Team

Sauber C32 – Ferrari 056

Team Principal: Monisha Kaltenborn / Chief Designer: Matt Morris

11. Nico Hülkenberg
12. Esteban Gutiérrez

Sahara Force India F1 Team

Force India VJM06 – Mercedes FO108Z

Team Principal: Vijay Mallya / Technical Director: Andrew Green

14. Paul Di Resta
15. Adrian Sutil

Williams F1 Team

Williams FW35 – Renault RS27-2013

Team Principal: Frank Williams / Technical Director: Mike Coughlan

16. Pastor Maldonado
17. Valtteri Bottas

Scuderia Toro Rosso

Toro Rosso STR8 – Ferrari 056

Team Principal: Franz Tost / Technical Director: James Key

18. Daniel Ricciardo
19. Jean-Éric Vergne

Caterham F1 Team

Caterham CT02 – Renault RS27-2013

Team Principal: Cyril Abiteboul / Technical Director: Mark Smith

20. Giedo Van der Garde
21. Charles Pic

Marussia F1 Team

Marussia MR02 – Cosworth CA2013

Team Principal: John Booth / Technical Director: Pat Symonds

22. Jules Bianchi
23. Max Chilton

Kipp

but I am taking tiny steps forward
Oh my goodness. I just realized the 28th is tomorrow. So excited to see the Lotus.

Shaneus

Subbed!

Man, I wish they'd hurry up and announce who the main Caterham driver is. I'm pretty sure it's not Heikki after what Gascoyne (sp?) said, so I'm hoping that Petrov still has a drive.

BAW

Banned
Hellz yeah baby, new car unveilings start TODAY!!!

Of course, with my numerous decades' experience of following F1, I will be able to tell right away which cars will be quickest from the first still shots.

Timbuktu

There is a long essay on F1 in US and Newey in the New Yorker this week. Great read.

http://m.newyorker.com/reporting/2013/02/04/130204fa_fact_mcgrath

The Art of Speed by Ben McGrath said:
ABSTRACT:THE SPORTING SCENE about Adrian Newey, who designs Formula One race cars, and the possibilities for Formula One in the United States. The most accomplished man in the world’s most glamorous sport stands at a drafting table all day. His name is Adrian Newey, and he is often said to perceive solid objects not by their outlines but by the flow of air currents around them. Newey’s sport is Formula One racing, the caviar to NASCAR’s Cheetos. He is the chief technical officer for Red Bull Racing, Formula One’s premier outfit, and spends most weekdays at a factory in the planned city of Milton Keynes, an hour northwest of London. Not long ago, a manufacturing trade magazine ranked him as the second-greatest corporate designer of our time, after Jonathan Ive, the creator of the iPod and the iPad. Recently, the United States Grand Prix, at the brand-new Circuit of the Americas, in Austin, marked the beginning of a concerted westward push in the sport’s marketing, after years of expansion to venues like Shanghai and Singapore. A new street course is being planned in Weehawken, New Jersey, which will offer spectacular views of the Manhattan skyline. Formula One, though concentrated historically in Europe and associated with ascots and champagne, is now perhaps the only truly global sports league or circuit—a legitimate world series—with Grand Prix races staged in nineteen countries across five continents. The breadth of its television audience is surpassed only by the Olympics and the World Cup. Among the competitors in 2012 were an Indian-backed team (Sahara Force India) and a Russian-backed team (Marussia), to go with the likes of Ferrari, McLaren, and Mercedes, as well as a Japanese driver (Kamui Kobayashi), a Venezuelan (Pastor Maldonado), a Mexican (Sergio Pérez), and two Finns. All told, thirteen nations were represented among the twenty-five drivers. The best of those drivers are compensated as well as A-Rod and Kobe. Describes the technical aspects of Formula One car design, as well as the tactical decisions made by drivers and their teams. Discusses the business of Formula One. Writer visits the headquarters of Formula One Management, overlooking London’s Hyde Park, and is received there by the so-called F1 Supremo, Bernie Ecclestone, Great Britain’s fourth-richest man. Ecclestone is five feet three, with a white mop of hair and a perpetual squint, from being nearly blind in his right eye since birth. Last summer, a couple of months before his eighty-second birthday, he was married for the third time, to Fabiana Flosi, a thirty-five-year-old Brazilian who towers over him. (The joke goes that he can look her in the eye when he is standing on his wallet.) His two daughters from his previous wife Slavica, a six-foot-two Croatian who has modelled for Armani, are the Kardashians of England. Describes changes to the Formula One rules which have been made to make the races more interesting: the sport’s organizers have given trailing cars an artificial boost, like a turbo button in a video game. The technology is called D.R.S.—for drag-reduction system—and it enables drivers to maneuver an adjustable flap on their rear wings, adding about a dozen extra miles per hour on straightaways. You can activate it only on certain stretches of each track, when you’re within a second of the car in front of you and hoping to slingshot past. Describes Newey’s upbringing and career, and the development of his expertise in aerodynamics. Describes Newey’s work on the Red Bull X2010, a pure speed-mobile with no restrictions. Discusses Newey’s experiences with the great Brazilian driver Ayrton Senna: Newey helped design the car Senna was driving during his fatal crash. In November of 1996, Newey was indicted for manslaughter in connection with Senna’s death. A lengthy public trial included expert testimony analyzing the angles of Senna’s front wheels and changes in the car’s hydraulic pressure, while the broader racing community protested that such quibbling missed the point: of course there was an element of danger, and racecar drivers, like downhill skiers, were well aware of the risks. In 2005, Newey was acquitted. The incident haunted him—he says that what was left of his hair fell out after Senna’s death—and he contemplated quitting the sport. Describes how he was recruited to the Red Bull team by Dietrich Mateschitz, the secretive Austrian businessman who had made billions marketing the obscure caffeinated beverage. Describes the scene at the Austin Grand Prix.

navanman

Crown Prince of Custom Firmware
Its begins.
The launches will be interesting but most of the top teams hide the good stuff till the last test or Melbourne.

Leunam

Less red on the spoilers but more prominent on the intake and sidepods.

Also a groove to the left and right of the drivers that is lower than the front end of the car. Don't think it was like that last season.

GLIrNkx.jpg

What's up with them sidepods?

Adamm

Why would a team not use the cover?

I'm not completely clear on the rules on it - but from what I can tell it is not allowed to aid the car in anyway, its just to cover up the step. But then surely it will be hard for a team to cover up the step without changing the airflow for better or worse?

or is it simply because it doesn't aid the car, then why bother?

I'm alright with stepped noses to be honest, although I equally wouldn't mind if half the grid opt for vanity covers. Just as long as there's a decent variation in designs up and down the grid.

Yes, the walrus nose was bloody ugly (for example), but I'd rather cars were striking (and ugly) than nebulous smooth blobs.

I also hated the 2008 cars compared to the 2009 cars though, so I'm clearly all over the place with my taste.

MoGamesXNA

Unconfirmed Member
Gutted...I thought that we'd only have to deal with the stepped nose era for one season.

Hopefully the E21 evolves into something prettier during the season. It's horrible what the stunning 2009 era cars have evolved into thanks to some poorly thought out regulations.

Staab

The hype !

lol at the lighting, so bad :)
And ouch for Grosjean when he said "maybe Kimi raikkonen" on the champion list.

Top Bottom