• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Formula 1 2017 Pre-Season |OT| The Ferrari is good this year

Status
Not open for further replies.

DrM

Redmond's Baby
Well, looks like I will stick with ORF this year, but this could be an issue, because I can only get it on the TV in my family's living room.

KdotIX

Oh sweet, I'll actually give this a go. Is it on sale as well?

Edit: It's half price? Fuck it, I'm in. It's good, yes?

It's the only way McLaren will win a championship in the near future! For that reason alone, it's good. I use Enzoli's 2016 mod by the way. There are a lot of mods on the workshop but his is probably the better one.

Edit: he is also in the process of making a 2017 mod - will release hopefully close to F1 season opener

Jezbollah

It's the only way McLaren will win a championship in the near future! For that reason alone, it's good. I use Enzoli's 2016 mod by the way. There are a lot of mods on the workshop but his is probably the better one.

Edit: he is also in the process of making a 2017 mod - will release hopefully close to F1 season opener

I'm another Enzoli user. It's a great mod.

Lach

Well, looks like I will stick with ORF this year, but this could be an issue, because I can only get it on the TV in my family's living room.

I'll probably watch ORF this year for the non C4 races. Their commentary is so much better than the SRF (swiss) one. On the other hand I feel like I need to support that it's still on free tv here :)

Aiii

So not worth it
C7ZgC8QVwAAqAJX.jpg:large

Well then.

Zaru

I'll probably watch ORF this year for the non C4 races. Their commentary is so much better than the SRF (swiss) one. On the other hand I feel like I need to support that it's still on free tv here :)

We're lucky to have a channel that is free and without ads during races, even though they don't show EVERY race live (considering that it sometimes overlaps with prime time television or sports like divegrass and plankslide), and even livestreams the whole thing online at an okay quality.
It all ends in 2020 though.

Zaru

It must be really hard to be in Wolff's position. Imagine having all these interviews and press conferences and trying to stop yourself from starting to laugh like an idiot while acting as if there was any serious competition for Mercedes. Nobody put "acting" in the job description!
Speaking of past years of course. THIS IS THE YEAR GUYS

ramparter

Banned
It must be really hard to be in Wolff's position. Imagine having all these interviews and press conferences and trying to stop yourself from starting to laugh like an idiot while acting as if there was any serious competition for Mercedes. Nobody put "acting" in the job description!
Place your bets:
"We almost didn't bring the cars to Melbourne." 1.85
"We are not sure if we'll be within 107%" 5.00
"We are probably 4th fastest behind Ferrari, Redbull and McLaren" 9.50
"If it rains, we'll hopefully get one car on the podium" 3.20

Aiii

So not worth it
Maybe this is the year.

I mean, it's possible there could a year that might be the year and this year might be that year.

Mastah

Looks like drivers press conferences are now split in 2 parts and feature more drivers:

Yep:

The Thursday Drivers’ Press Conference will be divided into two sections.

The first part of the print media conference (approx. 25 mins) in the FIA Press Conference room, will be devoted to the four drivers nominated in Part 1 at the top of the above list. During this part of the conference, the drivers nominated in Part 2 of the Thursday Press Conference list will be available in the TV pen for broadcast media.

After 25 minutes, the drivers will be accompanied by the FIA to make their way from the TV pen to the press conference room for the second part of the print media press conference. At this juncture the first drivers will make their way to the TV pen for interview by broadcast media.

All Press Conferences will take place in the Press Conference Room of the Media Centre.

The TV pen for Thursday and Friday press conferences will be located along Melbourne Walk (between the carpark and paddock entrance) adjacent to The Lounge. Drivers / Team Personnel will be placed on the road, while media will be positioned on the grass, shooting towards the crowd on the other side.

Qualifying and post-race press conferences will take place after the television unilateral interviews and the podium ceremony, which will be broadcast in the Media Centre and the Press Conference Room. For Saturday and Sunday, the TV pen will be located in its normal position inside the paddock, near the entrance.

http://www.fia.com/news/f1-2017-australian-grand-prix-press-conferences-schedule

We never expected to finish with both cars, much less on 1-2 and with a gap of 30 seconds. We had a lot of reliability problems during the race, which got resolved just in time, thankfully. Still, every win is very special and it's great that we have such a good competition in Ferrari, Red Bull and McLaren to keep us honest.

giphy.gif

For all the hype, hope & excitement this new season and the Australian gp brings I can't help but think that I'll be nodding off around lap 30-35.

Button

Banned
Vettel's new car is called Gina. Innocent at first, compared to the earlier names. Now apparently, if you were to shout "Go Gina!" in Italian, it would be "Va Gina!".

bDjiXjz.jpg

AndyD

aka andydumi
Vettel's new car is called Gina. Innocent at first, compared to the earlier names. Now apparently, if you were to shout "Go Gina!" in Italian, it would be "Va Gina!".

Maybe a reference to Gina Lollobrigida? Not many people have heard of her but she was stunning.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Motorsport Manager is free for a week on Steam:

https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2017/03/21/motorsport-manager-free-trial/

You can download Motorsport Manager through Steam for Windows, Mac, and Linux. The trial will run until 5pm GMT on Monday, March 27th, as will a 50% discount for those who want it for keepsies. That brings it down to £12.49/17,49€/$17.99.

As I look now, the most popular mods include tweaking game systems like weather as well as adding real cars and liveries from real motorsports like Formula 1 and NASCAR. Or you can drive a '91 Fiat Panda.

XPIwdb0.jpg

Zeknurn

The Federation Internationale de l'Automobile (FIA) has today released the names of the nine manufacturers that have been granted homologation from the 2018/19 season of the all-electric FIA Formula E Championship.

This round of homologations means that the powertrains fall into line with the new cycle of homologation for the chassis and battery, which will remain standard over the course of three seasons, starting from Season 5 - 2018/19 - 2020/21.

Therefore, any new manufacturer wishing to homologate its powertrain will be able to do so for Season 6 for a two-year period, or the following season for an annual duration.

The manufacturers are:

ABT Formel E
BMW AG
DS Automobiles [Part of PSA Group (Peugot & Citroen)]
Jaguar Land Rover
Mahindra Racing
NextEV NIO
Penske Autosport
Renault
Venturi Automobiles

”The FIA Formula E Championship has been going for a little over three years now and already it has established itself as one of the most interesting and innovative racing series, not just because of the actual format of the events but also and above all, because of its technical development," commented FIA President Jean Todt. ”The homologation of the powertrains that will be used from Season 5 is a very significant step because it means the cars will be able to run for twice as long while, at the very least, maintaining the same performance level. This highlights how motorsport can stimulate and accelerate development of new technologies, which can then be applied to road cars and in this case it has even more of a key role, given that at the moment, electricity is one of the more practical alternatives when it comes to finding new forms of more sustainable mobility in the future."

Alejandro Agag, Founder & CEO of Formula E, said: ”The mission of the FIA Formula E Championship is to act as a platform to advance the development of electric vehicle technology and alternative energy solutions - this hinges on the participation of automotive and component manufacturers. When we launched the series in 2012, we had forecast to secure at least three manufacturers by Season 5. The news today has highlighted the number and quality of manufacturers joining the championship and tripling our initial expectations. This just goes to show the relevance of Formula E to the motor industry and as an attractive proposition to new audiences and commercial partners, such as the recent agreement with Allianz."

The 2018/19 season will also see the debut of the new-look Formula E car, whose shape has been inspired and defined by the FIA with the aim of having a futuristic and appealing design. It will be produced by Spark Racing Technology, who won the chassis tender. From Season 5, there will also be a new standard battery produced by McLaren Applied Technologies. With the new battery, Formula E will no longer require two cars per driver and the potential of a mid-race car change.

http://www.fiaformulae.com/en/news/2017/march/nine-season-5-powertrain-manufacturers-homologated/

The growth of Formula E continues to be very impressive.

Aiii

So not worth it
While I am happy FE is a good and cheap option for car manufacturers to pretend they like the environment more than money, I disagree that it is doing well as a sport.

For one, their schedule is shit and impossible for anyone to get into the competition. The race tracks are even worse, it is nigh time they add some actual tracks along with shitty street circuits. They need to disalow board radios in anything other than English, or stop broadcasting them, idc how important the French think they are. They are ending the dumb car change mid-race, so that is good. They need to drastically improve the look of the car, especially since they are so slow that the actual design doesn't matter (they aren't even slowed down when losing the entire rear wing ffs).

Formula E has a decent field, good teams, good drivers, but it still looks like a national Fiat Punto league in many ways.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom