• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Formula 1 2017 Pre-Season |OT| The Ferrari is good this year

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aiii

So not worth it
I have high hopes for the red team to return to form. I sincerely hope the gap is closed, but even if it's not, at least engines can be freely developed to get there during the season.

I hope the RBR updates push them ahead, too, I pray they packed on some extra extra sandbags during testing.

I wouldn't say "freely". Any team that suffers engine failures is going to end up heavily penalised if they want to introduce new engines.

Aiii

So not worth it
I wouldn't say "freely". Any team that suffers engine failures is going to end up heavily penalised if they want to introduce new engines.

Engine failures are a different thing. However, each new engine they use can have an increase in power and other upgrades, meaning we could see a potential reshuffling of the grid 4 times this year.

Surely they only have a pool of 4 engines to use though and each engine failure removes from that pool?

Example. Engine failure in first race, means they have to use their second of four engines in the second race. Meaning that they can only introduce two "new spec" engines without penalty.

Edit - Ugh, god. I just realised I'm going to have to be up at 05:30 to watch the race this Sunday.

Staab

Surely they only have a pool of 4 engines to use though and each engine failure removes from that pool?
Yeah, that's like in 2016.
But they have 4 sets of each components, it's not just "one big engine change".
So assuming they plan to introduce new parts, they can just switch out the ERS or fuel injector or whatever.
Unless there's a big failure that needs them to change everything of course.

Zaru

Nothing says "F1 is back" like getting up early in the morning on a sunday. (For us Europeans)

That said, order confirmed, I'm going to the Singapore Grand Prix this year! Funny enough it's my first race even though there's one in my country and another 5 in neighboring ones...

Zeknurn

Don't forget that daylight saving time kicks in between qualifying and race.

f1jzuyz.png

Zeknurn

Fuck. I was planning to get up a 6 CET. This will kill me now. Will have to convince the GF that I need to go to bed at 10 on a Saturday night.

Getting up at 6 should be fine unless you want to watch all of the Sky pre show ramble.

Qualifying starts at 07:00 CET (GMT+1) and the race starts at 07:00 CEST (GMT+2)

Aiii

So not worth it
Is there a guy that just drives the car through and around the building non stop?

I think they push it in, but it's hard to tell. I doubt they have a car running the whole time. Seems a bit expensive.

Well, Henno associating his real name with an illegal "service" is what killed it.

Yeah, it was a bit weird. Especially since he did UFC streams and Zuffa are very gung-ho about going after notorious streams and torrents. But the people kept assuring me in the chat that they were "being very careful" about it. Shame really. The guy who doxxed him was still a cunt in ruining a good thing for everyone out of spite, though.

Anyways, there are ways to watch that aren't shit ace streams though, if you're willing to spend a bit of money. I suggest people look into IPTV (Reddit search it, or whatever).

I meant is it only on Sky. Last year Channel 4 gave up the early live races because they're not idiots.

2017 UK F1 TV SCHEDULE

26 March Australia - Sky only
9 April China - Sky only
16 April Bahrain - Sky + Channel 4
30 April Russia - Sky + Channel 4
14 May Spain - Sky only
28 May Monaco - Sky + Channel 4
11 June Canada - Sky only
25 June Azerbaijan - Sky + Channel 4
9 July Austria - Sky only
16 July Great Britain - Sky + Channel 4
30 July Hungary - Sky only
27 August Belgium - Sky + Channel 4
3 September Italy - Sky only
17 September Singapore - Sky + Channel 4
1 October Malaysia - Sky + Channel 4
8 October Japan - Sky only
22 October USA - Sky + Channel 4
29 October Mexico - Sky only
12 November Brazil - Sky only
26 November Abu Dhabi - Sky + Channel 4

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/127633

AndyD

aka andydumi
I think they push it in, but it's hard to tell. I doubt they have a car running the whole time. Seems a bit expensive.

I thought the same, but I guess they do outdoor testing when the car runs. And it can be an old car.

Would you guys agree to have a spec front wing if this means having a beautiful nose like this?

Wingtips are not bad to be custom, I think you mean a standard nose then?

DD

I mean aesthetically. As in teams could be allowed to make changes past the posts, but the nose design is "given" to them from FIA.

Ah, you mean that each team would make the noses themselves following the same guidelines.

One of the big problems in F1 is the fact that they spent millions of monies with these super complex wings that has no use on road cars. In that sense, Formula E is doing a much worthy job by letting car companies make their powertrains the way they think it's best, but free them of the job of making stupid carbon fiber wings and other stuff that has no use on road cars, so they can focus their resources where it matters.

This would be of immense help for smaller teams. The cars would look the same (specially because the designs of the whole car is based on what happens in the front), but the regs are so strict currently that they already kind of look the same. :p

AndyD

aka andydumi
Ah, you mean that each team would make the noses themselves following the same guidelines.

One of the big problems in F1 is the fact that they spent millions of monies with these super complex wings that has no use on road cars. In that sense, Formula E is doing a much worthy job by letting car companies make their powertrains the way they think it's best, but free them of the job of making stupid carbon fiber wings and other stuff that has no use on road cars, so they can focus their resources where it matters.

This would be of immense help for smaller teams. The cars would look the same (specially because the designs of the whole car is based on what happens in the front), but the regs are so strict currently that they already kind of look the same. :p

Exactly. I think different aero packages look more interesting to us as the viewers, but the reality is as you say, that we should instead free them more under the hood.

DBT85

Is there a guy that just drives the car through and around the building non stop?

I thought the same, but I guess they do outdoor testing when the car runs. And it can be an old car.

I believe that the factory practises are just pushed in. Only on actual test days or filming days and stuff do they drive in, I think.

Motorsport Manager is free to play for a week on Steam and there is a 2017 mod on the workshop.

Who wants to get McLaren their only podiums of the season?

Came here to post that!

I'll take a PM...I would buy PS Vue, but at 40 bucks a month...nope.

PS Vue is worth it if you want a cable subscription at the cheap. It is NOT worth it if you're just trying to watch F1 content. They cut 25% of the race in lieu of pre-roll and commercials. Arstechnica literally sat and watched last year's Austin GP and clocked about 21 minutes of commercials and almost 5 minutes of b-roll DURING THE RACE

I pay for NBCSN for all of it's other sports but refuse to watch F1 on it

PS Vue is worth it if you want a cable subscription at the cheap. It is NOT worth it if you're just trying to watch F1 content. They cut 25% of the race in lieu of pre-roll and commercials. Arstechnica literally sat and watched last year's Austin GP and clocked about 21 minutes of commercials and almost 5 minutes of b-roll DURING THE RACE

I pay for NBCSN for all of it's other sports but refuse to watch F1 on it
God damn how the fuck do they expect people to watch these god damn things? I'd feel ripped off if I bought PS Vue just for it, which is why I didn't do it when I looked at the price. I already pay for internet and have no urge of getting a cable subscription considering how much I don't watch TV, my TV exists to play games off of essentially.

Chris R

Anyone got any suggestions for which grandstand at the Austin GP?

T12 is nice. You can see the crest of T1 from the stands, some of the esses, and then the braking and infield stuff after the long straight.

Didn't get up into the stands at T1 at any point in my two GPs, but the GA area on the mud (that fucking rainstorm last year....) were good for watching the start and not much else IMO. Might be different from higher up.

I can upload some pictures from my T12 seat that I took back in 2012 if you want. Looks like I didn't take pictures from the T1 area (probably due to the rain) took a lot of them from around T8/9 since that's where I stood during the race last year, but I wouldn't sit there if I were buying a seat.

AndyD

aka andydumi
T12 is nice. You can see the crest of T1 from the stands, some of the esses, and then the braking and infield stuff after the long straight.

Didn't get up into the stands at T1 at any point in my two GPs, but the GA area on the mud (that fucking rainstorm last year....) were good for watching the start and not much else IMO. Might be different from higher up.

I can upload some pictures from my T12 seat that I took back in 2012 if you want. Looks like I didn't take pictures from the T1 area (probably due to the rain) took a lot of them from around T8/9 since that's where I stood during the race last year, but I wouldn't sit there if I were buying a seat.

I was in T1 GA 2 years ago and while it can have some nice moments, it was somewhat boring for F1. The support races were far better into T1. Seeing the esses after T1 would have been the way to go.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom