• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Utopia TV series - Season 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Meadows

Banned
Utopia is a British TV Drama/Thriller.

Watch it on 4oD.

Talk about it here.

Mod edit c/ped from Wiki:
Utopia is a six-part British conspiracy thriller that debuted on Channel 4 on 15 January 2013. The show is written by Dennis Kelly and stars Adeel Akhtar, Paul Higgins, Nathan Stewart-Jarrett, Alexandra Roach and Neil Maskell.

Plot:
The story follows a small group of people who find themselves in possession of a manuscript of a cult graphic novel called Utopia, which is rumoured to have predicted the worst disasters of the last century. This leads them to be targeted by a government organisation known only as 'The Network', which they must avoid to survive.

----

Here is a clip. You can click on that link if you struggled to muster the brain cells to put "Utopia" in Youtube.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
what, you want some shitty banner or something? watch the fucking show and talk about it here

You know, call me crazy, but it would help if you fleshed out the OP a bit more. Like, I don't know, give info on what the heck this is, who is involved, etc.

Meadows

Banned
You know, call me crazy, but it would help if you fleshed out the OP a bit more. Like, I don't know, give info on what the heck this is, who is involved, etc.

It's a British TV Show. It's a Thriller/Drama. It's on 4oD.

I like it.

N

NinjaFridge

Unconfirmed Member
This show is awesome, loving the hell out of it.

Wikipedia

The story follows a small group of people who find themselves in possession of a manuscript of a cult graphic novel called Utopia, which is rumoured to have predicted the worst disasters of the last century. This leads them to be targeted by a government organisation known only as 'The Network', which they must avoid to survive.

Retro

So it's "Knowing", but without Nicholas Cage and (presumably) the incredibly forced Judeo-Christian overtones?

Rubbish King

The gift that keeps on giving
posted this in BritGAF

I kinda feel like im being duped by Utopia, it feels quite artsy fartsy with the cinematography and interesting colours schemes..it's so serious yet it makes me feel like its above my intelligence, so i say its great..but really...its just something to watch...but i havent been fully grasped by a captivating plot or loveable/intriguing characters, the thing i dont get is the continuos murder of innocents I feel like I'm meant to be shocked but it's so predictable, and the latest episode so far feels a bit...recycled..maybe I'm wrong, but if I wasnt reminded to watch this, i probably would've forgotten about it

N

NinjaFridge

Unconfirmed Member
I'm 4 minutes into ep 3

THIS IS.. WHAT.. THE FUCK. JESUS CHRIST.

I actually physically paused 4oD. And told my GF i needed to come here and post this. Holy mother of god.

Yep.

SteveWD40

Ah Meadows, you are like a candle in the wind...

...unreliable.

Utopia is stunning visually, well acted and intriguing but does try to hard to "shock", the school scene in Ep3 felt forced. The "eyes" bit in Ep1 was unrelenting however.

Not sure where the plot is headed, I sort of have the gist but must admit I am drifting a little, my take so far:

Freelance intelligence agency The Network goes out of control

Scientist believes in mass murder to cleanse gene pool, Writes Utopia in hiding

Network are trying to unleash virus, but insist on ordering the vaccine for it?

DoH dude trying to get a sample of the disease

Mouth breathing assassin starts to doubt himself

Weird androgynous women has issues

Homely girl is working for the network

Oh man, I'm guessing there will be loads of complaints about the school scene. Oh only 48 of them out of 1 million viewers, guess they've grown up.

N

NinjaFridge

Unconfirmed Member
Oh man, I'm guessing there will be loads of complaints about the school scene. Oh only 48 of them out of 1 million viewers, guess they've grown up.

I think the type of people who watch Utopia would be the kind of people that would 'get' those kind of scenes. Still, you gotta love the Daily Mail headline;

Outrage as Channel 4 drama Utopia features gun massacre in primary school

Outrage = 48 complaints apparently.

Sheeeit, that was a great episode. Even Jessica's actress showed some range here.

Surprising they didn't touch on
Becky on the phone from last ep, is she connected to the Network
?

Also, liked that they're sticking to the blue/yellow.

i6x6TgS0svU6X.jpg

I'm still waiting for another rabbit to show up.

iWZuORgALjmTc.jpg

N

NinjaFridge

Unconfirmed Member
Another great episode. Not as good as the others maybe but still good. Seems to have set things up so the next episode should be great too.

Atrophis

This thread is criminally small for such an amazing show. Sort it out GAF! Channel 4 are really killing it in 2013 so far, cant wait for Black Mirror series 2 :D

N

NinjaFridge

Unconfirmed Member
This thread is criminally small for such an amazing show. Sort it out GAF! Channel 4 are really killing it in 2013 so far, cant wait for Black Mirror series 2 :D

Spread the good word!

SHEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEIT

This is getting crazy, it's up in the air what Becky and Arby will be doing. Lots of great character interactions in the house and so many reveals.

And I love that they're committing with the blue/yellow down to the clothes and sets.

Since there's no Breaking Bad yet, this is the best thing on telly right now. I'm still waiting for it to give like any mystery-based show, but with UK seasons being only 6 episodes long, they can be concise.

N

NinjaFridge

Unconfirmed Member
SHEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEIT

This is getting crazy, it's up in the air what Becky and Arby will be doing. Lots of great character interactions in the house and so many reveals.

And I love that they're committing with the blue/yellow down to the clothes and sets.

Since there's no Breaking Bad yet, this is the best thing on telly right now. I'm still waiting for it to give like any mystery-based show, but with UK seasons being only 6 episodes long, they can be concise.

Arby is turning out to be a great character.

Finally got around to watching episodes 2&3 and wow, intense.

Thoughts:

Stephen Rea as the guy behind the gov't is a marked change from the first time I saw him in V for Vendetta.

I'd love to find out what the connection is between the Russians vaccine and the comic book. I'm seeing tendrils but nothing concrete. It's almost like watching two shows at once. (If this is address in E4 I'll find out when I watch it tomorrow.)

N

NinjaFridge

Unconfirmed Member
Finally got around to watching episodes 2&3 and wow, intense.

Thoughts:

Stephen Rea as the guy behind the gov't is a marked change from the first time I saw him in V for Vendetta.

I'd love to find out what the connection is between the Russians vaccine and the comic book. I'm seeing tendrils but nothing concrete. It's almost like watching two shows at once. (If this is address in E4 I'll find out when I watch it tomorrow.)

There's a part of me hoping that the show only lasts 1 series and we get all the answers in the end. Any more and I'd be afraid it would just end up being a boring conspiracy show struggling to keep my attention. There is a limit with these kind of shows and once they pass it, there's no going back and the show becomes soulless.

N

NinjaFridge

Unconfirmed Member
Awesome episode. Tells us a lot about the conspiracy and it seemed to focus on the human element. Jessica and RB were both great in this episode. Looking forward to the final episode.

I thought RB was a crappy character in the first few episodes but god damn. The actor really pulled it off. I actually felt bad for him.

Glad the conspiracy isn't some crazy racist hitler stuff. I still wouldn't say this is a good show but it isn't bad.

Dibbz

Didn't know there was a thread here on GAF about this show but man I've been watching every week and I'm loving it. The colours man, the fucking colours are so vivid. It's a breath of fresh air from all the monochrome shit that is usually on TV.

The story is wacky, fun but I'm loving it. Twists and turns all over the place with characters and so far I've enjoyed every episode.

Also huge credit to Cristobal Tapia De Veer for the score. Such great music in this show. you guys should check out his soundcloud. Some good stuff on there, as well as the Utopia tracks.

https://soundcloud.com/cristobal-tapia-de-veer

jwk94

So what's the likelihood of this getting cancelled? It's started out pretty well so far (not done with episode 1 yet) but i'd rather not start something that has a high chance of getting cancelled.

Dibbz

I'm pretty sure this is only meant to be a short tv series not some sort of long running show. Think there are only 6 or 7 episodes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom