• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Utopia TV series - Season 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

8bit

Knows the Score
Last part next week.

I would doubt the show is anything other than a self contained tale, but you never know. The Blu-Ray states Series 1 on the cover which is a bit odd.

Wes

venison crêpe
So what's the likelihood of this getting cancelled? It's started out pretty well so far (not done with episode 1 yet) but i'd rather not start something that has a high chance of getting cancelled.

Shows don't get cancelled outright in the UK like they do in the US. Very rarely do shows get pulled. If ratings dip drastically they may have moved time/date but on Channel 4, with a relatively short series, I doubt they would've done it.

smr00

Banned
I'm pretty sure this is only meant to be a short tv series not some sort of long running show. Think there are only 6 or 7 episodes.
Wiki says it's a six part miniseries.

But it wouldn't be the first show to get turned into a series so don't count that possibility out, especially if it's doing well.

Shows don't get cancelled outright in the UK like they do in the US. Very rarely do shows get pulled. If ratings dip drastically they may have moved time/date but on Channel 4, with a relatively short series, I doubt they would've done it.

ITV cancelled Monroe because of ratings. But when you take what was a decent show in the first series and then change all of that for the second, you're going to lose some viewers.

Sh1ner

This is what I call excellent TV, this is probably my favourite show of all time. I can't wait for the next ep.

Right I am off to my local, will spruce up this post later!

N

NinjaFridge

Unconfirmed Member
Well shit. That was good. Kinda saw the secret with Janus coming but still pretty awesome overall.

barrbarr

Yea I saw that coming too; I also thought that they ruined the final twist with Milner. As soon as I saw her rescuing the group I knew that she was the real big bad.

N

NinjaFridge

Unconfirmed Member
Yea I saw that coming too; I also thought that they ruined the final twist with Milner. As soon as I saw her rescuing the group I knew that she was the real big bad.

I didn't so i thought it was a pretty good twist.

Also, If they sold a copy of the manuscript I might buy it.

I really loved this episode and the series as a whole. The Janus thing was explicity stated so I don't know why the characters didn't catch on (unless that was just a red herring for the audience so we let our guard down for the real twist).

I wonder if the Russian/Soviet germ warfare side of things crops up in the future. It'd be interesting if they have their own operations.

Wow, I had no idea that this was going to be a continuing series. Great show can't wait for the next sereis

I also didn't expect it to be a continuing series and hope it gets renewed.

N

NinjaFridge

Unconfirmed Member
I don't know if I want another series. I'd be afraid that they would be relying on people watching it because we're into the conspiracy and the extent of it and it just wouldn't accomplish anything.

Dibbz

Oh shit, it's not over.

Excited if this means more Utopia, but kinda disappointed we don't get a conclusion.

Ducarmel

lttp on the last episode, liked the twist. I will watch next season if there is one but I don't see how they can sell it, the show was about the mystery/conspiracy but everything is out in the open now.

barrbarr

lttp on the last episode, liked the twist. I will watch next season if there is one but I don't see how they can sell it, the show was about the mystery/conspiracy but everything is out in the open now.

Well everything is out in the open for the main characters; but they are all in trouble now. The email that warned everyone about the vaccinations was never sent so they are all still going to be hunted by the government, they just don't know it yet. Also I want to find out what kind of experiments happened to Jessica as well as Pietre. As well as what happened to Wilson after Jessica left him for dead.

Ducarmel

Well everything is out in the open for the main characters; but they are all in trouble now. The email that warned everyone about the vaccinations was never sent so they are all still going to be hunted by the government, they just don't know it yet. Also I want to find out what kind of experiments happened to Jessica as well as Pietre. As well as what happened to Wilson after Jessica left him for dead.

True, only Jessica knows The Network is still operating, the other characters still believe Milner is the good guy and told them to chill for a month so it might be to late before they realize Jessica is Janus and the manuscript was just bait.

The experiments seems to be only a small part of it though, I guess they could throw another twist at us maybe there is more to Janus or maybe there are other versions of Janus like Pietre, it kind of seems silly to me that Jessica's fathers life's work is a human sterilization program.

Wilson looked like he got stabbed in the liver, I believe 20 minutes tops to get medical help before passing out/dying. So he might make it if he got off the floor and looked for help or somebody found him.

Finally caught up with the last ep yesterday. Really pleased with it, did everything I wanted it to. Looking forward to the next series as I've grown to like the characters, even the annoying Welsh bint.

I didn't so i thought it was a pretty good twist.

Also, If they sold a copy of the manuscript I might buy it.

Oh god yes, I would love both volumes!

Shiloa

Really good TV. I really want a new series, but at the same time I think it would spoil it if it was continued.

They have to be a bit cleverer than just continue the Mr Rabbit stuff.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
Just watched the first episode and loved it. Really liked the music and they cinematography was great. O didn't read the thread to closely because of spoilers, but are there season 2 plans?

big giant

Banned
Felt the last episode was a bit flat, but I still quite enjoyed the series overall.
Me too, but I put that down to being told the series was self-contained. Wasn't expecting so many dangling threads.

Yes there will be a season 2
Well, it's not official yet, but likely. Certainly the creators want one.

Can someone explain to me why Becky got on the train? Was it just "I want to die alone"?
More or less. She initially says "Fuck it, let's give it a go" to being in a relationship with the Deals looming over her, but when the seizure in the station (apparently) confirms the syndrome is taking effect, she changes her mind.

I thought the first half was stronger, possibly due to the change in directors, but overall a great, great show. Anyone who enjoyed Neil Maskell as Arby/R.B./Pietre should check out The Kill List, preferably without reading anything about it first.

kaztar

Neo Member
Anyone who enjoyed Neil Maskell as Arby/R.B./Pietre should check out The Kill List, preferably without reading anything about it first.

Duly noted :)

Still reeling from the show. Poor Michael, I didn't expect the Russian to be a spy.

Made some gifs.

spoiler gif of dugdale and anya

Beautifully shot explosion
isekT38pFmHsI.gif

Molotov cocktail fire
iuf42J9WzpdQc.gif

i0nfntMek2GnB.gif

i2G6QKw5eY3fk.gif

"Alright there, shithead. Let's give it a go."
iBa83Lpnuai9B.gif

ibnWdLn1X0vgtD.gif

ibxqRKx2wxTZfu.gif

Meadows

Banned
amazing. amazing.

Hopefully they don't make another series, it should just end.

They lost. That's it. The End.

amazing. amazing.

Well, not really. They gained a pyrrhic victory in stopping the vaccine but the DNA sequence still exists and is in the hands of Milner and her organisation, who are working toward something, but it wasn't clear as to what their end goal is.

They didn't appear to have the same goal in mind as the Network, so a second series following Milner could be quite interesting.

Well, not really. They gained a pyrrhic victory in stopping the vaccine but the DNA sequence still exists and is in the hands of Milner and her organisation, who are working toward something, but it wasn't clear as to what their end goal is.

They didn't appear to have the same goal in mind as the Network, so a second series following Milner could be quite interesting.

I thought Milner was Rabbit and head of the Network and did have the same goal in mind?

I take it there wouldn't be a way for me to watch the blu-ray on an American PS3?

I'm not sure how accurate it is (although it being the official web store for the network that funded and aired the show, it should be accurate), the Channel 4 web store claims it's region free.

http://www.channel4store.co.uk/drama/utopia/16912#.UTcTSVeBwjY

Interestingly, the DVD release specifically mentions Region 2, whereas the Blu-ray release is region free.

http://www.channel4store.co.uk/drama/utopia/16911#.UTcTxVeBwjY

big giant

Banned
amazing. amazing.

I'd be fine with that as an ending, but even ignoring the tweets above, that's not 100% the ending you get, is it?

What happens to Ian and Grant? Do they just go back to their lives? Are their lives still there to go back to? Mr. Rabbit has Janus, but do we really know the whole truth of what he wants to do with it? And how will Jessica feel about that? There's more I'm forgetting, I'm sure. I'm not saying these questions would have to be answered for the story to be complete, but I don't think they'd be so pointedly unanswered, if that makes sense.

jwk94

I thought Milner was Rabbit and head of the Network and did have the same goal in mind?
Wait, Milner was Mr. Rabbit??

I'm not sure how accurate it is (although it being the official web store for the network that funded and aired the show, it should be accurate), the Channel 4 web store claims it's region free.

Interestingly, the DVD release specifically mentions Region 2, whereas the Blu-ray release is region free.

Thanks! Hopefully that works.

N

NinjaFridge

Unconfirmed Member
How's the nudity quota in this?

Not much really. I think you see some tit and arse in one of the episodes. If the violence doesn't bother you, the nudity won't.

The BBC had Sherlock listed as region free but it turns out it was "region free" if you had a certain kind of BRD player.

xclaw

if you squint at one point you can see some tits.

Think you see the black dude's arse a couple of times, but not much really.

But fuck me there's some violence in this.

I have to say thanks to you fine gentlemen for bumping this thread yesterday and having it grab my attention. This show is now on my must watch recommend list for anyone I talk to about TV. Only made it through four episodes last night but man.... so good.

I love all the audio work that is tied in throughout each episode.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom