• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Double Eleven Announce New Game - ‘Frozen Synapse: Tactics’ for Vita-PS3

Hanmik

PASh1c1.jpg

Double Eleven will be working with Mode 7 on a console version of Frozen Synapse. The new title, ‘Frozen Synapse: Tactics’, will be released for PlayStation 3 and PlayStation Vita via the PSN store.

Full press release here:

February 1st, 2013

Frozen Synapse: Tactics Announced

Double Eleven are bringing Frozen Synapse to PlayStation®3 and PlayStation®Vita.

After recently announcing their new digital publishing branch - D11 Games - Double Eleven have now revealed that they will be working with Mode 7 on a console version of Frozen Synapse. The new title, Frozen Synapse: Tactics, will be released for PlayStation 3 and PlayStation Vita via the PSN™ store.

Originally released in 2011, the critically praised Frozen Synapse has sold over 430,000 copies to date. Its unique style of gameplay offers something new to the strategy gaming genre and is a refreshing change from modern traditional RTSs.

“Frozen Synapse for us represents some of the best work coming out of the UK and onto the PC. We know there’s also a great console game in there as well waiting to be realised.” said Mark South, COO for Double Eleven.

Demi Gounari, Art Director on the new project, said “We are thrilled to be working on Frozen Synapse; our vision is to reinvent the game’s aesthetics and interactivity in the same way that Mode7 reinvented strategy gaming with this title.”

Mark added that “we don’t want to give too much away yet, but I will say that Frozen Synapse: Tactics is not simply a transition of the original onto console; we will be giving it a complete Double Eleven makeover.”

Paul Taylor, the co-founder and joint MD of Mode 7, said, “Frozen Synapse proved that turn-based strategy doesn't have to be about people with misguided beards prodding tanks into lonely hexagons. We have put our trust in Double Eleven to translate our original vision for a PlayStation audience; they have impressed us with their commitment to creating a completely new version for Sony's awesome hardware. We can't wait to see what they come up with.”

Shahid Ahmad, Senior Business Development Manager at Sony Computer Entertainment Europe, said “We have a fantastic relationship with Double Eleven and have supported their publishing model of bringing hit indie IPs to our platform. As Double Eleven’s first self-published game, after releasing LittleBigPlanet PS Vita, they have chosen a perfect title for PlayStation.”

Frozen Synapse: Tactics is scheduled for release in 2013. Keep an eye on our website, Twitter and Facebook page for updates.

http://www.double11.co.uk/blog/all

mclem

Interesting; I can't help but wonder if the Playstation audience will take to the game, but I hope like crazy that they do.

This is going to be so gorgeous on the Vita's screen.

Weird to put 'Tactics' in the title though, the game was already 500% tactical.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
What what what what what what WHAT WHAT WHAT WHAT WHAT. Holyfuckingcrapballs.

Awesome, Frozen Synapse is fucking awesome. Good to see it getting to a wider audience.

Totally rebuying a Vita this week.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
YES. YES.gif

I guess I can stop worrying about how little I played the Steam version. But now I gotta worry about how little I play the PS3/portable version. :( (Well that and lack of balance due to LOL RANDOM MAPS that may trap a unit in a room)

Cade

I didn't really care for FS, even as a turn-based strategy fan, but this is good news. I imagine the gameplay lends itself exceptionally well to a handheld, too.

Mode 7 Games are one the greatest success stories not often told in indie gaming. On their second release, they managed to create a stunning and critically-acclaimed game...not just any game, but a strategy game no less. No artsy fartsy platformer.

They supported PC, Mac and Linux...have an iOS version in the works, and now - through Double Eleven - are going console.

Incredible upward swing.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
They rebuild the game for Vita, so there is a lot to fuck up. If its as good as the pc game, this will be GOTY. FS is the BEST mp turn based game after chess.
I want to beta test this so bad. Hopefully, I can get in that.

Amazing news! I'll definitely pick this up for the Vita. The only part of this that worries me a bit is this:

We have put our trust in Double Eleven to translate our original vision for a PlayStation audience
I wonder what their impression of a "Playstation audience" is?

They rebuild the game for Vita, so there is a lot to fuck up. If its as good as the pc game, this will be GOTY. FS is the BEST mp turn based game after chess.

Considering how brilliantly they handled LBP Vita, I really don't think there's any reason to doubt them.

Fantastic news. I've played my Steam version WAY too little, so a portable experience will be nice.

kiyomi

Holy crap, where did this come from? I've barely touched FS on Steam but wow, a Vita version would perk up my interest again.

Is it me or has the number of Vita games coming this year doubled since the beginning of the week?

TBH, I feel a little less gloomy about it than a week ago.

Also, as someone who really liked FS on PC, color me interested.

Zoibie

Oooh, very cool news. I've been eyeing the Steam version for a while, guess I'll hold off a little longer then.

I have to say, with this, Snapshot, Binding of Isaac, Sound Shapes and so on, I'm really excited about the Vita's burgeoning catalogue of indie games. I'm hoping this is something that Sony is seriously putting effort behind; I'm salivating just thinking of the idea of being able to play Proteus or Antichamber or Hotline Miami or FTL on a handheld.

Toma

Oooh, very cool news. I've been eyeing the Steam version for a while, guess I'll hold off a little longer then.

I have to say, with this, Snapshot, Binding of Isaac, Sound Shapes and so on, I'm really excited about the Vita's burgeoning catalogue of indie games. I'm hoping this is something that Sony is seriously putting effort behind; I'm salivating just thinking of the idea of being able to play Proteus or Antichamber or Hotline Miami or FTL on a handheld.
I love FTL and the other games you mentioned QUITE a bit, but FS on Vita? Thats the jackpot right there. Although I wouldnt mind even more of these games of course.

Munin

Mode 7 Games are one the greatest success stories not often told in indie gaming. On their second release, they managed to create a stunning and critically-acclaimed game...not just any game, but a strategy game no less. No artsy fartsy platformer.

They supported PC, Mac and Linux...have an iOS version in the works, and now - through Double Eleven - are going console.

Incredible upward swing.

And yet there's an average of two dozen players that remain on the FS servers...which is sad but I feel they really didn't engage the MP community as they should have

Drek

Good god Vita's dropping bombs straight out of my wishlist this week.

Binding of Isaac and Frozen Synapse were two indie games from Steam that I've repeatedly said Sony should be going at hard, now both are happening.

Very interesting that Double Eleven is doing it. After LBP Vita's high level of praise you'd think they'd have something bigger in the pipe, but then this likely won't be too man power intensive. A Sony Europe executive being quoted in the release really makes you wonder just how much push Sony has been putting behind things like this.

Need a Minecraft Vita port SO BAD now though.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
And yet there's an average of two dozen players that remain on the FS servers...which is sad but I feel they really didn't engage the MP community as they should have

Random maps that trap units that could counter an RPG unit kinda does that to you, yo.

(Well that and other modes besides the PEW PEW PEW deathmatch one aren't really explained too well)

Need a Minecraft Vita port SO BAD now though.

Got you kinda covered

Loudninja

Seems they are this is from a interview back in June:
"But let's make sure that small games can also be made, and that we can take care of lots of indie developers and individuals who want to express themselves," Yoshida says.

SCEA's Pub Fund is focused on funding indies; Yoshida says one of his favorite Vita games is Tales From Space: Mutant Blobs Attack from Drinkbox Studios, funded through the program.

"We do it for the love of it, almost," he says. "It's not like small games sell $100 million revenues. But we really think it's important to work with younger people, and people who really sometimes disregard conventions of making games -- Jon Mak made Everyday Shooter by himself."

Adds Yoshida: "When games are made by a small number of people, the creative vision of one person really shines through the entire game. That's really where we find some magic happens."
http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/172034/Yoshida_Small_games_indies_crucial_to_Vita_success.php

Toma

Random maps that trap units that could counter an RPG unit kinda does that to you, yo.

(Well that and other modes besides the PEW PEW PEW deathmatch one aren't really explained too well)

Got you kinda covered

This happens so rarely that its basically a non issue. They could have even patched that problem by now. I know this problem existed, but I havent encountered it even once myself in 200 hours of playing the game.

This happens so rarely that its basically a non issue. Hey could have even patched that problem by now. I know this problem existed, but I havent encountered it even once ,myself in 200 hours of playing the game.
Honestly this is my first time hearing about this issue and I've put in so many hours and had it since day one. I never encountered it once

But don't forget that one terrific aspect of FS was the asynchronous multiplayer. I don't have time to faff about in real-time multiplayer gaming most days of the week...but if I can log a turn in the morning with my coffee, then log off? That's the business.

That said, I reckon the iPad version will explode and be the shot in the arm the online component needs.

Toma

I agree with you but this week has had more Vita news than the average week.

True. Well I was never really worried about content tbh. This console seems to be getting lovely small games out of nowhere.

And omg. Frozen Synapse. GOTY 2011. I cant tell you how much this made my day/week/month. Chances are I might be getting into some Beta testing. Wish me luck.

Top Bottom