• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV |OT2| ARR: Phase 4 August.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Teknoman

So will the neogaf linkshell be on a legacy server? I was thinking of going on a fresh server.

Most likely since alot of us have/had 1.0 characters. Shouldnt be bad imo since not everyone has classes/jobs at max level, gil is going to be reduced, and everyone will still be experiencing a new game right off the bat. I'm pretty optimistic about the whole thing since Yoshi and crew have been pretty spot on for the most part.

omlet

So will the neogaf linkshell be on a legacy server? I was thinking of going on a fresh server.

Doesn't have to be.

For those that will most likely be rolling with GAF, may as well get acquainted here:

http://reddot.guildwork.com/

Red Dot of Sargatanas is not the "neogaf linkshell" anymore and won't be in ARR, either. More of our members are not gaffers than are and we don't plan to be opening the proverbial floodgates. You can still apply with us if you don't mind playing on a legacy server, but we are mostly going straight to endgame as early as beta phase 4.

Chances are there will be a neogaf group on one of the fresh servers if you'd rather do that.

Teknoman

Doesn't have to be. Red Dot of Sargatanas is not the "neogaf linkshell" anymore and won't be in ARR, either. More of our members are not gaffers than are and we don't plan to be opening the proverbial floodgates. You can still apply with us if you don't mind playing on a legacy server, but we are mostly going straight to endgame as early as beta phase 4.

Chances are there will be a neogaf group on one of the fresh servers if you'd rather do that.

Speaking of end game stuff, arent companies supposed to be more of a clan thing? That being said, I think its going to be awhile before doing endgame since alot of that progress will have to be regained anyway?

omlet

Speaking of end game stuff, arent companies supposed to be more of a clan thing?

Yes, we are planning to form a Free Company. Unaffiliated with neogaf. That doesn't mean we're slamming the door on anyone from neogaf, but it does mean we're not going to be "the neogaf group" so please don't advertise us as such to new players. We are just going to be one of many free companies on our server that happens to have a higher than average concentration of people that also have neogaf accounts among our ranks.

Teknoman

Yes, we are planning to form a Free Company. Unaffiliated with neogaf. That doesn't mean we're slamming the door on anyone from neogaf, but it does mean we're not going to be "the neogaf group" so please don't advertise us as such to new players.

Oh yeah, of course. We did have a few extra LS near the end for stuff like that, so probably shouldnt have jumped the gun.

Aeana

All righty, then. Guess I'll find some other people to play with, in that case. Sorry I posted on your Guildwork page.

Jijidasu

Totally fine with it. The looping music made it get old eventually in FF11.

I agree with this. Before I returned to FFXI (Haven't been on for a while, meep!) I was on the other side of the fence about looping and thought it might be better to have looping in place but after spending a long time in one zone such as Gustaberg (which has music for those unfamiliar) it becomes a bit mind-numbing to hear it over and over.

The way they have it now will do more for the music, I'm sure.

[Edit] As Gromph mentioned, I'm continuing on with my JP LS on the JP server. Gromph and a few others will be with us and anyone else who can converse in Japanese a bit is more than welcome to join in (legacy server). Benefits include but not limited to: Housing, JP play-style (manners, you say!?) and incredibly long explanations in Japanese before you do anything.

omlet

All righty, then. Guess I'll find some other people to play with, in that case. Sorry I posted on your Guildwork page.

Hey, not saying you can't join! No need to apologize, I'm sorry if I sounded too, uh blunt... D:

It's just that if what you're looking for is a neogaf group, especially of newer players, you won't find it with Red Dot. Our core membership is not from gaf and wasn't for months before 1.x went offline.

Aeana

I agree with this. Before I returned to FFXI (Haven't been on for a while, meep!) I was on the other side of the fence about looping and thought it might be better to have looping in place but after spending a long time in one zone such as Gustaberg (which has music for those unfamiliar) it becomes a bit mind-numbing to hear it over and over.

[Edit] As Gromph mentioned, I'm continuing on with my JP LS on the JP server. Gromph and a few others will be with us and anyone else who can converse in Japanese a bit is more than welcome to join in (legacy server). Benefits include but not limited to: Housing, JP play-style (manners, you say!?) and incredibly long explanations in Japanese before you do anything.

I didn't know Gromph understood Japanese. :eek:

I honestly don't know what I want to do anymore. I'd be right at home in a JP LS, but the time difference creates a big rift that would most likely get in the way of me being able to join activities, and that would really be a bummer.

Jijidasu

I didn't know Gromph understood Japanese. :eek:

I honestly don't know what I want to do anymore. I'd be right at home in a JP LS, but the time difference creates a big rift that would most likely get in the way of me being able to join activities, and that would really be a bummer.

He's learning rapidly now, but there's a couple of people under my wing who I look out for best I can in the LS/FC haha.

You're more than welcome to join with us, not to mention there are always plenty of alternative shells on Japanese servers (people who work night shift and play in the mornings etc, I was one of those in order to get stuff done on my days off.)

Teknoman

Hopefully Yoshi talks more on Free Companies soon, since I was more interested in how those would function during early 1.0 days than linkshells. I know hes recently shown off company logo customization, but thats about it as far as i'm aware.

omlet

Oh yeah, of course. We did have a few extra LS near the end for stuff like that, so probably shouldnt have jumped the gun.

A lot of people in Red Dot were also in various other linkshells, as is the norm for FF MMOs, so as some shells reform as FCs in ARR we're not sure what our membership is going to look like. Most gaffers quit the game or drifted to other shells. By the time I joined, I think we were less than half neogaf (I didn't even have a neogaf account at the time). By the time I became part of the leadership team, most of our active members weren't from gaf or even knew what it was, and those are the members that stuck together until the end of the world as we knew it. Some people who were in RD didn't really do stuff with us. Some RD members did and may be bringing friends in once ARR launches. One of our (non-gaf-member) leaders has had talks with another shell leader and we'll probably be absorbing them and their mostly-endgame group into our FC (if they're still planning to do that). It's kinda all up in the air at this point still. Except the part about being the official gaf group in ARR.

Linkshells will still likely be used as "sub communities" of a sort, but from what SE has said it sounds like they're really going to have incentives for actually doing events/dungeons/raids with your FC, not with people you know via linkshells.

Next phase or two of beta will help us get a better idea of how we're gonna organize things. Free Companies are gonna be in p3, right?

Ravidrath

Ignore him - you're playing with us. :p

You'll just be in NeoBelieve, our GAF-affiliate linkshell, until we know you're going to stick around.

So any of these servers people are going to be on going to be east coast? As much as it would be nice to start knowing some people playing, I've started enough mmorpgs solo and am more willing to deal with that than unnecessary latency.

Well after re reading the last page or so I guess that's a moot question. Non legacy and can't speak Japanese. Oh well.

ErichWK

In preparation for getting back into FFXIV i tried logging into the square site..and completely forgot my password and all the answers to my hints. How can I not correctly type my mother's maiden name.

dwix

You'll just be in NeoBelieve, our GAF-affiliate linkshell, until we know you're going to stick around.

I joined up really late, but I had a great experience on NeoBelieve. Everyone was very helpful and made things a lot smoother. I also really liked the casual nature of it. I assume that is the intent for ARR as well?

That's where I'll be staying for sure.

omlet

Yeah, I guess I should have mentioned that.

In 1.x there was a second linkshell that neogaf members could join just by asking. It mostly just served as a chat channel, but also as a sort of trial ground for Red Dot membership where people (most people....) who didn't really display any commitment to the game were weeded out. Active people in this LS who didn't drive us nuts and displayed some drive were usually invited to Red Dot once they got to cap and showed an interest in doing events.

I joined up really late, but I had a great experience on NeoBelieve. Everyone was very helpful and made things a lot smoother. I also really liked the casual nature of it. I assume that is the intent for ARR as well?

That's where I'll be staying for sure.

Good chance we'll be doing the same thing in ARR if there is a demand, so there may well be a primarily-gaf group on our server. But this will be a super-casual linkshell that Red Dot members will have little to do with, intended for people (who don't quit) to graduate out of (maybe into RD, maybe a different FC, who knows), not a long term commitment for anyone who wants to be a little more serious about endgame.

However, as I mentioned, if someone is looking for a fresh server, that's not where we'll be. I'm sure there will be something planned by new-server-gaffers for new-server-gaffers once we get closer to launch for people who are looking for that.

Edit:

Again, I'm not trying to chase people away really, I just don't want any false advertising. Just trying to be clear on the distinction that has grown as the RD community morphed through the lifetime of FFXIV 1.x into the not-really-gaf semi-hardcore-endgame group that it was when 1.x went down and that we plan to be in ARR as well. So that people don't try to join Red Dot looking for a concentration of neogaf members being really casual about the game and don't get what they were looking for. That's not to say that we're gonna just snub any newbies--and as was mentioned, yeah, we'll all be redoing quests and exploring the new world and stuff on our max level characters so we will be around to help out as well!

Ravidrath

I'd say its kinda like that except a little faster paced. Also positioning and chaining together certain attacks is the main focus.

And you only control one character.

Instead of programming the rest of your party, you ask them nicely to do smart things that don't make you die.

And, yeah, basic monsters are going to be a bit spammy - it's bosses and the like that will require more complicated strategies to defeat.

Mature

No, no it was another trailer. Dungeon one I believe.
Eh, those are largely theatrical. E3 should provide some trailers that give a real glimpse of combat. But if you're ultimately looking for something that shakes the foundation of traditional MMO combat, you'll probably be disappointed.

Edit: Does someone have a link to that google doc with the gaf to user name table?

Eh, those are largely theatrical. E3 should provide some trailers that give a real glimpse of combat. But if you're ultimately looking for something that shakes the foundation of traditional MMO combat, you'll probably be disappointed.

Edit: Does someone have a link to that google doc with the gaf to user name table?

Yeah hopefully I can see some real players play it soon.

Teknoman

Jijidasu

Speculation time!

A friend of mine from my content LS on Durandal has come up with all sorts theories regarding Scholar etc and perhaps there might be yet another class. It also seems that in one of the images on his blog that there's 9 jobs yet only 8 soul crystal slots shown in yesterday's Live letter.

Alas, here is an image showing the classes, we have Arcanist icon + something we don't know. Does it look like a pistol? Hm..

dyxBeBz.jpg

Edit: made this:
mNvjBUR.jpg

Speculation go!

ZiZ

check your PM

Qvoth

which server is the jp server? i understand enough of japanese, and i can type in japanese too (learnt from my ff11 days), during beta 2 i partied with japanese often
lag wise they should be the better choice too since i live in south east asia

Jijidasu

which server is the jp server? i understand enough of japanese, and i can type in japanese too (learnt from my ff11 days), during beta 2 i partied with japanese often
lag wise they should be the better choice too since i live in south east asia

The servers haven't been confirmed yet but once something is announced I'll post something up here for you. By the looks of things the LS will be reformed into the FC which I or Darte will create and then everyone will join in. There's a fair bit of stuff to consider yet though.

Jinko

Is that WS charge time for enemies I see? Gonna be more interesting with that finally in.

Haha don't you mean easier ? :p

So is Raine coming back or has his soul been devoured by PSO2 ?

I have to say the new FC is sounding pretty intimidating and I am an old player, you may want to ease up a bit ... just saying.

Xux

Yeah, easier for Conjurer at least, lol.

Also, I can't wait for Musketeer; something about guns in fantasy settings is so cool.

Dega

Eeny Meenie Penis
A lot of people in Red Dot were also in various other linkshells, as is the norm for FF MMOs, so as some shells reform as FCs in ARR we're not sure what our membership is going to look like. Most gaffers quit the game or drifted to other shells. By the time I joined, I think we were less than half neogaf (I didn't even have a neogaf account at the time). By the time I became part of the leadership team, most of our active members weren't from gaf or even knew what it was, and those are the members that stuck together until the end of the world as we knew it. Some people who were in RD didn't really do stuff with us. Some RD members did and may be bringing friends in once ARR launches. One of our (non-gaf-member) leaders has had talks with another shell leader and we'll probably be absorbing them and their mostly-endgame group into our FC (if they're still planning to do that). It's kinda all up in the air at this point still. Except the part about being the official gaf group in ARR.

Linkshells will still likely be used as "sub communities" of a sort, but from what SE has said it sounds like they're really going to have incentives for actually doing events/dungeons/raids with your FC, not with people you know via linkshells.

Next phase or two of beta will help us get a better idea of how we're gonna organize things. Free Companies are gonna be in p3, right?

=\

Ravidrath said:

Who is in charge of NeoBelieve? I forgot. Eithne?

omlet

So is Raine coming back or has his soul been devoured by PSO2 ?
That's a good question! I don't know for sure so I can't answer for him but he still hangs out on mumble with us and seems to be still showing interest in ARR. He was playing PSO2 even before 1.x went offline, though, so maybe he'll be juggling both. If he doesn't post a reply here by tonight maybe I'll try to pry an answers out of him. :p

I have to say the new FC is sounding pretty intimidating and I am an old player, you may want to ease up a bit ... just saying.
Ease up a bit, how so?

Edit:
Hmm? :?

Who is in charge of NeoBelieve? I forgot. Eithne?
He was the LS owner in 1.x, but the Red Dot leaders (Ravi and I) and a couple other people were all sackholders. He'll probably be the one primarily managing it in ARR, too, assuming he is able to get the PSO2 claws out of his soul.

dwix

However, as I mentioned, if someone is looking for a fresh server, that's not where we'll be. I'm sure there will be something planned by new-server-gaffers for new-server-gaffers once we get closer to launch for people who are looking for that.

In that case, I'll probably end up joining that group. I don't have Legacy status.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom