• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV |OT2| ARR: Phase 4 August.

Status
Not open for further replies.

ebil

While I'm at it, cross-posting from the other thread:

---

So, as I promised before, here is a preview from the OT in text format covering: the Armoury System, Races, City-States & Grand Companies, Character & Community and Worlds.

I think it's a good guide for beginners who are going to make their first character tomorrow and you'll find most frequently asked questions answered there.

OT preview / Beginner Guide

ZiZ

While I'm at it, cross-posting from the other thread:

---

So, as I promised before, here is a preview from the OT in text format covering: the Armoury System, Races, City-States & Grand Companies, Character & Community and Worlds.

I think it's a good guide for beginners who are going to make their first character tomorrow and you'll find most frequently asked questions answered there.

OT preview / Beginner Guide

very nice work, can't wait to see the OT.

I know that it is implied, but if possible, can you mention that Legacy worlds allow new players. a lot of new users don't seem to know that.

creid

I know that it is implied, but if possible, can you mention that Legacy worlds allow new players. a lot of new users don't seem to know that.
Yeah, judging by the Beta 4 thread, I feel like a decent sized set of FAQ would be a BIG help.

ebil

You can thank Riposte for that when he's back! And that's a good point, I'll see what I can do.

What is the server situation? There was a post at some point that said where GAF was going, but also other where other communities were going - Giant Bomb, etc. ???

Tarazet

Got to level 11 as a Marauder before switching to crafting to try it out. Just got a couple of simple weapon abilities but the feel of the game is really solid and responsive coming from WoW, in spite of the 2.5 GCD (which gets reduced by skill speed, but I doubt if I would prioritize that as a tank).

Everyone who gets a hit on a mob gets proportional experience for how much they contributed. I'm not sure if that's the amount of time spent on the mob or the actual damage done, but either way I like that if a mob is tagged you still have a good reason to help kill it and can still get loot and quest credit. I think that's really smart.

The fishing is on par with how it is in other JRPGs.. meaning it will consume your soul.

Teknoman

Damn...I might have to give that a shot when I finally hit Limsa. So far I was trying to decide between mining and botany.

Can you go into detail?

So I have legacy status on my old 1.0 character (Currently on Aegis), and haven't touched her since before ARR. The first time I do my 1-time appearance/race/etc edit, I can transfer her to another Legacy server correct? And do I have to do it during phase 4 or can I wait for launch? Sorry if it's been asked but I can't seem to find a straight answer.

Xux

So I have legacy status on my old 1.0 character (Currently on Aegis), and haven't touched her since before ARR. The first time I do my 1-time appearance/race/etc edit, I can transfer her to another Legacy server correct? And do I have to do it during phase 4 or can I wait for launch? Sorry if it's been asked but I can't seem to find a straight answer.
No, it'll be stuck on Aegis. There was a transfer program a couple months ago but now you'll have to wait 'til they open paid transfers two-to-three weeks after launch.

Is it confirmed it'll only be 2-3 weeks after launch? I've also heard 3 months and 6 months thrown around for a transfer program to start. I figured it wouldn't apply if I was already legacy but I guess I was wrong :(

Xux

Is it confirmed it'll only be 2-3 weeks after launch? I've also heard 3 months and 6 months thrown around for a transfer program to start. I figured it wouldn't apply if I was already legacy but I guess I was wrong :(
They said 2-3 weeks on the live stream they did on the eighth but didn't get specific; not too long ago they said it'd be six months or so before 1.0 characters could transfer to non-Legacy worlds.

Are we going to be able to world change at all this weekend? I just finished making my character to join some friends, but all of the NA/EU servers are locked except for Faerie (NA) and Exodus (NA). All my friends are playing on Ultros (NA).

The only reason I wanted to play this was to do so with them.

Tarazet

Damn...I might have to give that a shot when I finally hit Limsa. So far I was trying to decide between mining and botany.

Can you go into detail?

I got Fishing up to level 12 then had to reroll my character today since I realized that though it was a valid beta account, it wasn't tied to my pre-order code.. so my progress wouldn't be saved. Fortunately they opened things up to pre-order accounts today. I did some different crafts - Fishing, Cooking and Mining, and two classes - Marauder and Lancer up to lv. 18 and 12 respectively.

The crafting system is like a sub-game that has its own full sets of equipment - even at low levels, it's at least two completely distinct sets split between Gathering and Crafting, as well as main-hand weapons like frying pans for culinarians and mining picks for miners. Here's the really interesting part: you get gathering stealth so that you can go through your own way and level mining, etc. in the world without ever being pestered by mobs.

The actual act of gathering uses hotkeys just like fighting out in the world, which provide different buffs and perform different actions. When you are mining, you prospect in areas where you know there are nodes, activate a radar-like ability which tells you the location of the nearest node, and decide what material you want to try and dig up. You get a % chance based on your level and the stats you've got on your gear. On top of that, you can spend GP (Gathering Points, a kind of mana bar for gathering) to improve your chances of getting a drop, or you can spend it to improve your chances of getting a high quality material. It all adds new depth to an old idea.

As for the fighting classes. I like tanks, and the Marauder (Warrior) seemed like my kind of tank. It's relatively easier to kill than a Gladiator, and lacks a shield for blocking, but it's a more active experience. You get a lot of health points, put out a lot of damage for a tank, and have a number of powerful proactive and reactive abilities that give you a substantial amount of control over your fate. You also get the ability to dynamically meter back your instant threat generation to do higher DPS, via the combo system. It's not quite like any of the classes from WoW; it has its own flavor and the playstyle is unique.

The other class I played was a physical DPS, the Lancer, which uses a polearm. This is the class that becomes the Dragoon later on. Like the Marauder, it has a two-button basic rotation, but it soon gets replaced with an attack that is more powerful against an enemy that's hit from behind. Then you get an ability that is stronger from the flank, and grants you a 12 second damage increase. I can see using this with Fracture, the DoT that you can borrow from the Marauder, as being a very potent combination for single-target sustained DPS, provided that you are able to attack the boss from the side.

Nuklear

Banned
This game is the best MMO to come out in a quite a few years. It reminds me of Vanilla WoW and it includes a group finder! Hopefully Square/Enix reaps the benefits of putting together such a good MMO.

Teknoman

Are we going to be able to world change at all this weekend? I just finished making my character to join some friends, but all of the NA/EU servers are locked except for Faerie (NA) and Exodus (NA). All my friends are playing on Ultros (NA).

The only reason I wanted to play this was to do so with them.

If you saved your character appearance, just wait till Ultros opens and recreate using saved appearance. They started opening and closing servers at random to try and handle the load(?) but it seems like they are having issues now.

C.Dark.DN

Banned
I got Fishing up to level 12 then had to reroll my character today since I realized that though it was a valid beta account, it wasn't tied to my pre-order code.. so my progress wouldn't be saved. Fortunately they opened things up to pre-order accounts today. I did some different crafts - Fishing, Cooking and Mining, and two classes - Marauder and Lancer up to lv. 18 and 12 respectively.
We're in Phase 4 right now. Early Access starts the 24th, but NA/EU people can't enter their pre-order code in the correct form yet. It opens up the 20th.
https://secure.square-enix.com/account/app/svc/ffxivearlypre?rgn=na
https://secure.square-enix.com/account/app/svc/ffxivearlypre?rgn=eu&lng=en
http://preorder.na.finalfantasyxiv.com/us
http://preorder.eu.finalfantasyxiv.com/gb

Nakazato

Hey guys,

To all the red dot that I played with in 1.0 ill see you guys ps4 ffxiv launch. Some stuff has come up I moved out to the west coast and um trying to get my feet under me. Hope you guys have fun.

Isamu Nakazato

Jijidasu

Just an announcement for any other visual enthusiasts:

SGSSAA doesn't seem to want to cooperate with FFXIV:ARR right now using the method listed in my guide previously. I've narrowed this down to the newest Nvidia driver 320.49.

What it happens if you force SGSSAA at 1440p: Lags badly (no hardware restriction) and gives strange blur and slicing of applied edges. If you want to use it try at 1080p but it's still lagging pretty bad compared to previous drivers.

--

Couple shots from Durandal!

coblyn.jpg

sgssaa1.jpg

limit.jpg

Just an announcement for any other visual enthusiasts:

SGSSAA doesn't seem to want to cooperate with FFXIV:ARR right now using the method listed in my guide previously. I've narrowed this down to the newest Nvidia driver 320.49.

What it happens if you force SGSSAA at 1440p: Lags badly (no hardware restriction) and gives strange blur and slicing of applied edges. If you want to use it try at 1080p but it's still lagging pretty bad compared to previous drivers.

--

Couple shots from Durandal!

DX11 breaks SSAA anyways, so you might as well just learn to love FXAA.

notworksafe

Beta got me hyped all over again. I wish there was a way for me to get early access but I'm not gonna rebuy a game I already own. :\

Beta got me hyped all over again. I wish there was a way for me to get early access but I'm not gonna rebuy a game I already own. :\

There's plenty of us in that boat. The part I don't understand about Squenix's thinking here is, for the people who would be willing to pay some small sum of money for early access, no such option exists. It's either pre-order the whole game again and create a whole new account since the pre-order codes don't work with 1.0 accounts, or do nothing and not get early access unless you're Legacy. I'm sure the ~10,000 people who actually paid for Legacy are happy, the other ~600,000 people who bought FFXIV 1.0 but didn't cough up 3 months worth of sub fees for a game which was already going to be shut down and remade aren't. Squenix can be so stupid sometimes, but hey, that's Squenix for you.

Robin64

So I ordered ARR, having never played 1.0 or the beta. Haven't even read much about the game at all, kind of going in blind.

Apparently I get access today? That's neat.

Will there be fresh servers?

Edit: Ah, I see you guys are planning on rolling on Ultros. Can I join? :3

Xux

Is this for real? Retarded if so.

It's not. People are getting pre-order and collector's edition codes mixed up. You can apply pre-order codes to an existing account. The code for the CE of ARR is the same as the game code (ya know the CD key) so you can't apply it to an existing (PC) account and have to do a digital upgrade through a service they'll have closer to launch or get the PS3 CE.

So yeah, a pre-order will get a 1.0 account early access.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom