• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV |OT2| ARR: Phase 4 August.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Xux

Thanks for that. So any character can be any given class if they wield the class's weapon. As far as jobs go, do you have access to all jobs at all times, or is it a permanent choice you make at some point in the game?

I appreciate the answers - the official site isn't very descriptive about some of the game systems =/
You can change whenever. You unlock each class' job as you do their class quests and it's physically a stone you equip to do the upgrade. So you can switch between the job and the class whenever and, just for Arcanist right now, you can change to either of its jobs.

The original game's site has a better description even though some of the specifics like required classes are out of date.

Jinko

Thanks for that. So any character can be any given class if they wield the class's weapon. As far as jobs go, do you have access to all jobs at all times, or is it a permanent choice you make at some point in the game?

I appreciate the answers - the official site isn't very descriptive about some of the game systems =/

Jobs are battle class only and you are required to quest to unlock it, you can then change freely between them by equipping soul stones.

quote to reveal .

FFXIV: A Realm Reborn Beta Code - EU

I tried entering this code and it seemed? to accept it? (the site is really confusing), so I guess it wasn't taken yet? Thank you.

I assume the beta is closed right now? is there a date for when the 4th phase starts? couldn't find it in the OP.

Riposte

Going to move this here, since I usually post stuff about the OT here...

I'm wondering if I got any facts wrong in these summaries of city states and grand companies. Stuff like this is always a little troubling, because it is not like I get paid for my prose.

Amidst a vast desert, the mercantile metropolis of Ul’dah serves as a beacon to all traders. Decorated in the finest gemstones and fabrics, this city-state provides for any vice or indulgence – if one has the gil. Paralleling its patron deity Nald’thal, Ul’dah balances its prosperous and nether elements on a loose scale. In the shadows, tensions are building between the Syndicate, a group selected by wealth, and the royal Sultana, Nanamo Ul Namo.

The Immortal Flames is the grand company of Ul’dah. This contingent is led by Raubahn Aldynn, an Ala Mhigan man so successful in the coliseum his blood money has earned him a seat on the Syndicate. In a political landscape which strongly favors the elitist Syndicate, the lone devoted Raubahn and his army empower the more compassionate Sultana to stand a chance.

The Black Shroud, or the Twelveswood, is a dense, ample forest home to the protective, yet wrathful elementals. Within it, the nation of Gridania pays its upmost respect to these spirits, and thus nature itself. From construction to resource extraction, citizens are dedicated to harmony with the environment, lest they face certain death. The conjurers and, above them, the padjal Seedseers speak with the elementals directly and lead the nation by their will.

Being the closest target of the Garleans, the Elder Seedseer had the Order of the Twin Adder established to bolster Gridania’s defenses. Forever youthful like all padjal, Kan-E-Senna is deceptively wise and it was her who allied the three grand companies. She must not only face several threats, but meet them without upsetting the peace between mankind and elementals.

The island of Vylbrand is home to the thalassocracy of Limsa Lominsa, a maritime power. While the city’s many bridged island towers are a beauty to behold from afar, Lominsans tend to be more vulgar (and cutthroat) than usual Eorzean folk. Part of this is due to a spotty history with piracy. Using her power over all ships in Lominsan waters, dual pistol-wielding ex-pirate Merlwyb Bloefhiswyn cleaned up the place when she became admiral and, later, chief admiral.

Led by the admiral herself, the Maelstorm heads Limsa Lominsa’s crimson-bannered military. Over the five years since she became chief admiral she has done the impossible and made marauders trade their axes for tools. For some, however, old habits die hard. The thalassocracy also has not one, but two beastmen tribes trying to summon a primal on its doorstep.

ZiZ

Going to move this here, since I usually post stuff about the OT here...

I'm wondering if I got any facts wrong in these summaries of city states and grand companies. Stuff like this is always a little troubling, because it is not like I get paid for my prose.

looks good to me, I just noticed that the Twin Adder and Maelstorm are lead directly by the rulers of their respective city states.

ooh, they posted pics of summoner's Egis
http://na.finalfantasyxiv.com/blog/post/510
I want to see them animated :(

ooh, they posted pics of summoner's Egis
http://na.finalfantasyxiv.com/blog/post/510
I want to see them animated :(

Best I could do

TURi459.gif

ZiZ

Best I could do

TURi459.gif

Thanks, now I can die happy. XD

I laughed.

Summoner video here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QbF3jq04c80

Yea its a shame they didn't use the lalafell princess as the Flames leader, I probably would have chosen it if they had.

that video is the reason I want to see them animated, Ifrit Egi looks a lot cooler when moving, I assume the others will be the same.

I like Raubahn, it's the other two states that feel weird to me, they shouldn't be leading Grand Companies, they should have generals to do that. and even if they were going to lead something shouldn't it be the city's army, not a Grand Company.
does Kan-E-Senna even have any military training, her only qualification seems to be chatting up tree spirits.

Jinko

that video is the reason I want to see them animated, Ifrit Egi looks a lot cooler when moving, I assume the others will be the same.

I like Raubahn, it's the other two states that feel weird to me, they shouldn't be leading Grand Companies, they should have generals to do that. and even if they were going to lead something shouldn't it be the city's army, not a Grand Company.
does Kan-E-Senna even have any military training, her only qualification seems to be chatting up tree spirits.

Kan-E is the highest ranking White Mage, so I guess she has military training in some sense >.>

Well Merlwyb isn't that odd either since iirc the way Limsa picks their leader is by a race, so she just happens to be the "best" captain. What is more odd is how she is an Admiral, but is overseeing land battles.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Pst

So what's the deal with this game if I want to play it on PS3 AND PC? Can I just buy a PS3 copy and download the copy, or have they said yet?

Raxious

Hmmm, I'm tempted to buy the normal edition for 22 euro's.

I have the CE of FF XIV 1.0 on my account, so I'll be getting all the DLC of the ARR CE as well if I'm correct.

I also got the CE of ARR preorderd though :p I just want it on my shelf.

Raxious

So I just thought of something, seeing as I already own the CE of 1.0, if I were to buy the normal edition I wouldn't be able to use it unless I create a new account right?

Skyler

Unconfirmed Member
So I just thought of something, seeing as I already own the CE of 1.0, if I were to buy the normal edition I wouldn't be able to use it unless I create a new account right?
Correct.

I can understand you wanting the ARR CE, but why would you want to buy the standard edition as well?

Raxious

Correct.

I can understand you wanting the ARR CE, but why would you want to buy the standard edition as well?

Early acces :p , it's my last week of vacation before school starts again. Hmm, I might be able to sell the key to a friend of mine who's been dying to play the game as well. The normal edition is 22 euro's, so if I'd ask 15 for the key I'd probably sell it.

Skyler

Unconfirmed Member
Ah, fair enough. It's just that I got an early access code when I pre-ordered the ARR CE, so I assumed you did, too.

Raxious

Ah, fair enough. It's just that I got an early access code when I pre-ordered the ARR CE, so I assumed you did, too.

Unfortunately not, and the shop I ordered the CE from didn't even know there was early access. The store I usually order my stuff was already out of CE's.

6316 points on High, 10612 on Standard.

I'm probably going to play in the middle. I don't feel like tweaking settings in the benchmark, tough. I want to see the results in real time when I get the game.

ebil

Caerith

There's a pretty huge story spoiler floating around, too. To those caring about these things, be cautious with the leaked stuff and don't wander too far off.
Got an easy link to the story spoilers?
I want to see if it improves.

Azrael

Looking over the hunting logs, found some more monsters in the full game.

Croc (based on the icon, looks to be using the FFXII design)
Taurus (FFXI design)
Aevis (?)

Ultima Weapon and Hydra
in the mob database.

Looking over the hunting logs, found some more monsters in the full game.

Croc (based on the icon, looks to be using the FFXII design)
Taurus (FFXI design)
Aevis (?)

There's no Titan weapons in the game, but there is Odin's sword and shield and Behemoth and Odin FATEs. Maybe the hard mode Titan fight isn't ready yet.

Ultima Weapon and Hydra
in the mob database.

The Titan weapons seem to be there. Most of the weapons seem to be named ______ of Crags while grimoires are called Key of Titan. GLA/PLD gets a shield instead of a sword.

Azrael

The Titan weapons seem to be there. Most of the weapons seem to be named ______ of Crags while grimoires are called Key of Titan. GLA/PLD gets a shield instead of a sword.

Yes, I was looking at Paladin swords and didn't see one, but Titan's Paladin weapon is a shield.

Jijidasu

Just a small PSA on the status of the Durandal FC. I've just updated the OP with some important information on how the LS/FC will work. We are no longer creating a FC and are simply staying as a LS in which all are welcome to join, regardless of Japanese ability.

On the FC side - The original group of members will be joining me in my friends' Free Company. I am able to vouch for people who are able bodied in Japanese. I must stress that if you cannot communicate unassisted you are unlikely to be let in.

I understand this is bad news for some of the people interested in pursuing end-game activities with us however due to low interest in the Durandal FC I think it is better that we stay as a LS. This doesn't rule out LS activities, it just removes the perks that being in a FC would have given.

Azrael

There is a lot of monster art in ARR that wasn't in 1.x.

Aevis
Behemoth
Bulb
Colibri
Crab (FFXI style)
Croc
Deathgaze
Demon
Demon Wall
Dragon
Dragonfly
Dullahan
Gargouille
Gigas
Mamool Ja
Mandragora
Mantis
Mindflayer
Mirrorknight
Odin
Pugil
Rafflesia
Sahagin
Sandworm
Snake
Succubus
Taurus
Tonberry
Uragnite
Wasp
Wyrm
Wyvern
Ziz

Most of which use designs from XI and XII. It's probably easier for the devs to recycle assets from those games than it is from XIII.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom