• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV |OT2| ARR: Phase 4 August.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ravidrath

Most of which use designs from XI and XII. It's probably easier for the devs to recycle assets from those games than it is from XIII.

Well, XIII's biomechanical nonsense wouldn't really look right in this game, either.

Not thrilled about more XII monsters coming in. The XI ones look fine to me with their new textures, but the XII monsters are way too low-poly.

Jinko

Well, XIII's biomechanical nonsense wouldn't really look right in this game, either.

Not thrilled about more XII monsters coming in. The XI ones look fine to me with their new textures, but the XII monsters are way too low-poly.

Surely they will remodel them .. ?

Azrael

I'm fine with the dev team recycling monster art from previous games if it means the dev team can concentrate on creating lots of unique boss designs for end game content.

I need to buy 3 copies of this for my friends, but I'm not from the US.
I did buy my copy at Green Man Gaming, but then they had that confusion about seemingly selling me the UK version while claiming it was the US one.

Question: where's the best place to buy the digital version from outside the US? I'm guessing Amazon, but who knows...

Xux

VgeK5xT.jpg
Advertisement in Best Buy.

ZiZ

I guess I'll post this here too.

I'm having trouble choosing a name for my character:

My name in 1.x was "The Ziz" which was OK, until NPCs started referring to me as "The"

so far I'm torn between:

- Ziz Drywind: it's a play on the popular Final Fantasy name Highwind, and with me being an Immortal Flame and a resident of Ul'dah it works well with the whole desert setting.

- Ziz Blightingale: a combination of the words Blighting (to blight, destroy, ruin) and Gale (a strong wind) it's also a play on the word Nightingale.

And both names go well with my first name which is based off a legendary bird.

what say you GAF? which name should I choose?
other suggestions are welcome too.

I guess I'll post this here too.

I'm having trouble choosing a name for my character:

My name in 1.x was "The Ziz" which was OK, until NPCs started referring to me as "The"

so far I'm torn between:

- Ziz Drywind: it's a play on the popular Final Fantasy name Highwind, and with me being an Immortal Flame and a resident of Ul'dah it works well with the whole desert setting.

- Ziz Blightingale: a combination of the words Blighting (to blight, destroy, ruin) and Gale (a strong wind) it's also a play on the word Nightingale.

Blightingale has a nice ring in it. I'll go with that.

So guys.

During Phase 3, I was playing around with the client and I noticed that it supports Steam Overlay. It actually works on the benchmark too, you can test it out yourself by adding the benchmark as a Non-Steam Game and then launching it from Steam.

So since Squenix was nice enough to include Steam Overlay support in ARR, I went ahead and created a Steam group. Anyone is invited to join this group and really all I'm thinking it will be for is the chat room, where Gaffers can gather whether they are in the game or not. Also ARR has this stupid limitation where you can't whisper anybody when you are in a dungeon, so if you want to talk to someone who isn't in your LS or FC you're boned. So this might be useful for that too.

Since we are scattered across multiple servers, this could be helpful to help Gaffers congregate and find out where to go as well.

The group is public, so if you want to join go ahead.

http://steamcommunity.com/groups/ffxiv-gaf/

creid

so far I'm torn between:

I vote for Drywind.

Azrael

Any news on the trophies for the PS3 version?

The game launches this month and I haven't heard anything

ARR has in-game achievements, but they're mostly of the "achieve level X with this class" variety.

I hope the PSN trophies will be a bit more creative and unlock as you reach milestones like getting your chocobo, visit Aetherite camps, completing dungeons and main story quests, etc.

ARR has in-game achievements, but they're mostly of the "achieve level X with this class" variety.

I hope the PSN trophies will be a bit more creative and unlock as you reach milestones like getting your chocobo, visit Aetherite camps, completing dungeons and main story quests, etc.

I'm sure ps3 trophies will be a sub-set of the whole set of in-game achievements. One would get too many trophies points if all in-game achievements were to be made trophies.

ebil

V1 had all of these achievements, even ingame rewards and titles for completing the "7th Umbral Era" storyline or visiting all the Aetherytes. Granted, there weren't many achievements linked to dungeons but there weren't that many dungeons to begin with. I expect ARR to follow suit.

Akuosa

so far I'm torn between:

I like the sound of Blightingale a lot more.

Cetra

I too am having trouble coming up with a name for my ARR character. She'll be a Roe, and I'd like the first three letters of her name to be "Ali-". (FFXI characters were named Alikat and Alissah. WoW Toon was Alissah etc. Ali is kind of an institution among my guild at this point, haha.) I've looked over the Roe naming conventions, and while I can come up with something that sounds good, it's still going to be a pain for anyone trying to send a whisper to me.

I dunno, I like staying in universe as much as possible... but, damn.

Honestly, a lot of times names which are chosen to sound "right in the world" or following "naming guidelines" end up forgettable and your name ends up as generic as the names of NPCs in the world.

Just pick a name you like and stick with it.

WolvenOne

Honestly, a lot of times names which are chosen to sound "right in the world" or following "naming guidelines" end up forgettable and your name ends up as generic as the names of NPCs in the world.

Just pick a name you like and stick with it.

Yeah, I've got to admit that I worry about that a little.

The name I came up with, N'uadha Tia. (D is silent, so is sounds like Noah) would be undoubtedly distinctive anywhere else, but since it actually fits the naming scheme, I worry it might blend in a little here.

I mean, too late to rework it either way, but still.

Riposte

How to get people to remember your name: Let them get to know you and leave a good (or really bad) impression. If anything, picking from a (popular) fictional character only hurts that in the long run.

Pfft, that's crazy talk...

http://i.imgur.com/apjs5qM.jpg[IMG][/QUOTE]

lol how would you even get that? This generator is really busted. I wouldn't recommend using it.

LtOrange

If I pre-order the PS3 version for a friend as a gift could I take the early access code and apply it to my 1.0 pc account?

I saw someone named Darth Vader in Phase 3. I wonder how upset he'd be if he tried to pick that name again only to find out that it was... taken by someone.

that won't stop him. next option would be Dark Vader. but that one would be taken too, so it will be Dart Vader, Derp Vader, Dunk Vader or Dork Vader.

mystigiandoll

Neo Member
Q41: I heard that you can reallocate your attribute points, but will this be something you can do easily multiple times?
A41: It won’t be something you can do so easily. For example, it’s not like you will be able to allocate them so today you can challenge the Great Labyrinth of Bahamut as scholar, and tomorrow allocate them so you can go as summoner.

Ok I am a bit confused on how accumulated attribute points work toward each class and job. If you play THM up to x level and assign attributes to whatever stats you want, when you switch to job BLM to those attributes automatically carry over or do you reassign at that point?

I thought I had this system figured out until I read that tid bit and got confused. Thanks!

Jinko

Ok I am a bit confused on how accumulated attribute points work toward each class and job. If you play THM up to x level and assign attributes to whatever stats you want, when you switch to job BLM to those attributes automatically carry over or do you reassign at that point?

I thought I had this system figured out until I read that tid bit and got confused. Thanks!

Attribs used on THM would carry over to BLM, although they have kind of contradicted themselves as a previous question was answered :-

Q7: Will the arcanist’s attribute points be shared between summoner and scholar?

A7: No, they will not be shared.

And then they said :-

Q41: I heard that you can reallocate your attribute points, but will this be something you can do easily multiple times?

A41: It won’t be something you can do so easily. For example, it’s not like you will be able to allocate them so today you can challenge the Great Labyrinth of Bahamut as scholar, and tomorrow allocate them so you can go as summoner.

Why would we need to reallocate when they don't share the same stat configuration ?

I really hope dual jobs don't share the same stat pool otherwise its pretty counter-productive to the armoury system.

Jinko

Ahh ok so Q41 is correct, that's really lame and I expect a lot of people will leave feedback on that.

Looks like putting all points into Mind as a SCH and then using cleric stance as SMN will be the way to go. (edit never mind its not available to SMN)

KePoW

Banned
Does anyone know where you can order the boxed Collector's Edition for PC?

I can't seem to find out where to get it.

Does anyone know where you can order the boxed Collector's Edition for PC?

I can't seem to find out where to get it.

In NA the only place you could get it was directly though squares store, which is managed by digital river. It has long since been sold out though. Not that anyone should trust digital river with their money.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom