• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV |OT2| ARR: Phase 4 August.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Azrael

Okay, so I recognize Cloud of Darkness and Gilgamesh, but who is the guy with the sword?

chars.jpg

some beastmen have learned the common tongue. I think the echo is only needed when speaking to beastmen who only speak in their native tongue.

Okay cool. Is that in some quest I missed or skimmed over? Like I said, if I didn't watch all these 1.0 scenes I wouldn't even know it was a big deal to be talking to these other things.

You just get told in game that the past is set in stone when Minfilia explains it to you when you first went to the Order of the Twelve.

Well my memory certainly sucks. lol.

The Echo is a power that lets you look inside someone's mind and watch their memories. It's like the Pensieve in the Harry Potter universe. You can't change the past through the Echo because it's just a memory which you are watching.

If there will be time travel in the story I suspect it won't be until they run out of stuff for players to do in the present day, such as what happened with FFXI WotG. That won't happen for a good long time, since you have to fight all the Primals, defeat the Garlean Empire, defeat Bahamut, and also deplete all the oceans around Eorzea of fish first.

That sounds like a challenge. I am sure we can accomplish all those things in a short amount of time.

I noticed that the japanese version has the correct names for -ra and -ga level spells.
Did they ever explain why we got the lame names with numbers from the '90?

ebil

I noticed that the japanese version has the correct names for -ra and -ga level spells.
Did they ever explain why we got the lame names with numbers from the '90?
No they never explained why, but my guess is the English localization team made these changes between Alpha and Beta to make the game more 'accessible' to English-speaking newcomers. I say 'English-speaking' because both French and German kept their original translation.

Jijidasu

I'm highly amused at how they timed stoneskin just right as to hide Garuda's Egi. Bastards.

Reading Yoshida's comments that came with the pictures it looks like that dungeon with the Demon Wall is the old castle in Southern Shroud, Ampdoor? I can't remember what it was called in English but he said that's what it is. It's a high-difficulty dungeon accessible after clearing the main scenario.

ebil

I'm highly amused at how they timed stoneskin just right as to hide Garuda's Egi. Bastards.

Reading Yoshida's comments that came with the pictures it looks like that dungeon with the Demon Wall is the old castle in Southern Shroud, Ampdoor? I can't remember what it was called in English but he said that's what it is. It's a high-difficulty dungeon accessible after clearing the main scenario.
It's Amdapor Keep in English (but Ampdoor would certainly be a funnier name).

Jinko

Thats pretty nifty, I prefer to use controller for healing but at times its nice to have the hotkeys for extra convenience.

frequency

I don't think it's new to Phase 4. I had both in Phase 3. It was just an annoying option to find.

I used the Cross Hot Bar for abilities but I put stuff like Chocobo whistle and potions on a regular PC hot bar that I clicked.

Unless I'm misunderstanding something.

Buttons

It's not new. I used it in beta already and put my chocobo, buffs and other skills that I use less often on them. It's pretty nifty to pay with controller+keyboard, I like it the more than just using one of the two. :)

WolvenOne

It's not new. I used it in beta already and put my chocobo, buffs and other skills that I use less often on them. It's pretty nifty to pay with controller+keyboard, I like it the more than just using one of the two. :)

Hmm, might be useful. Though it somewhat offends my belief that controls should become more simplified, not less.

Thats pretty nifty, I prefer to use controller for healing but at times its nice to have the hotkeys for extra convenience.

I like it because it can be used to know when skills timers are up, from skills in another Cross bar.

Hmm, might be useful. Though it somewhat offends my belief that controls should become more simplified, not less.

Even if you don't plan to actually use them they can be still useful like for what I said.

Arc07

I'm still confused on what to allocate bonus stat points into as PLD. Someone on the beta forums made a chart showing that to mitigate 1% damage on blocks it requires approx 60 STR. I'm sure these numbers will probably change slightly in phase 4/launch but I don't see it getting significantly better. Probably going to stick with VIT just for the hell of it.

Xux

I hear STR is the main factor in enmity generated from Flash and DEX's supposed to effect parry and block rate.

I'll probably just put five in every stat and post pictures everywhere to make min/maxers cry.

I hear STR is the main factor in enmity generated from Flash and DEX's supposed to effect parry and block rate.

I'll probably just put five in every stat and post pictures everywhere to make min/maxers cry.

It's already going to make me cry knowing that the race I'm picking is more for casters then melee. Like I second guess myself every time I think about it.

Xux

It's already going to make me cry knowing that the race I'm picking is more for casters then melee. Like I second guess myself every time I think about it.
It'll just be a couple points of damage or 15 to 90 HP or MP. I just wanna be a big red individual; I don't care if my ranged attacks do the least damage by a fraction of a percent.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
Someone noticed that the base VIT difference between the race with highest and lowest VIT is 6.

If 6 VIT is something that keeps you up at night, then I don't know what to tell you.
The stats make up for it in another way. Like for instance a lala pld can flash more with out having to wast tp on the mp regen skill

Someone noticed that the base VIT difference between the race with highest and lowest VIT is 6.

If 6 VIT is something that keeps you up at night, then I don't know what to tell you.

You should tell me to stop being crazy, like I know I should. Knowing and doing are two different things.

I will always know that I have 3 less str and 4 less vit then I should have if I wasn't picking something on what I thought looked cooler. That is almost half of the total bonus stat points you would get from leveling to 50. All for caster stats that I will never care about.

You should tell me to stop being crazy, like I know I should. Knowing and doing are two different things.

I will always know that I have 3 less str and 4 less vit then I should have if I wasn't picking something on what I thought looked cooler. That is almost half of the total bonus stat points you would get from leveling to 50. All for caster stats that I will never care about.

I'm planning on being a Miqo'te Keeper of the Moon MRD. It happens that this race is the one with the lowest VIT in the game, and MRD/WAR is the tank class which depends on a large HP pool to not die since it doesn't have the damage mitigation skills and self heals that GLD/PLD does.

I'm doing it wrong. It's probably safer if you don't invite me to tank for your parties. :3

Sigh. Why is it that I can run the benchmark perfectly fine on high, got a score of 7252, but that the actual game runs like shit. Framedrops all over the place, especially when there are people around, goes to the 20s, then to the 60s, then drops again. I can't enjoy it like this :(

I'm planning on being a Miqo'te Keeper of the Moon MRD. It happens that this race is the one with the lowest VIT in the game, and MRD/WAR is the tank class which depends on a large HP pool to not die since it doesn't have the damage mitigation skills and self heals that GLD/PLD does.

I'm doing it wrong. It's probably safer if you don't invite me to tank for your parties. :3

The min/maxer in me wants to throw rocks at you.

omlet

Also the lowest STR IIRC. As a fellow Keeper of the Moon melee main, I approve of this. Looking forward to outplaying people who pick race for stats with my suboptimal base numbers. /highfive

(side note, PLD doesn't have self heals anymore in ARR)

I'm still confused on what to allocate bonus stat points into as PLD. Someone on the beta forums made a chart showing that to mitigate 1% damage on blocks it requires approx 60 STR. I'm sure these numbers will probably change slightly in phase 4/launch but I don't see it getting significantly better. Probably going to stick with VIT just for the hell of it.

I don't think taking STR for the mitigation makes sense for PLD. Take STR for damage. Even though it won't turn you into a real DD or anything, more DPS is more threat. STR will always be an effective stat to have as long as you're not dead.

VIT gives you more HP but won't help with enmity and extra HP will mainly only be relevant when you're taking hits big enough to knock you from full to close to dead in one hit.

DEX may be a better stat now than it was for PLD because we don't get as many force-block skills like we had in 1.x so passive block rate may be something to look into but I'm not sure on the math.

Personally I'll probably be going STR.

MRD/WAR has much better self heals then GLD's casted heal from CNJ sub.

Jomjom

Banned
Posted this in the beta thread, but thought I would post this here too to see if I can get a couple more responses:

"Quick question for the FFXIV 1.0 vets:

I never finished all of the 1.0 mainline story quests and wasn't able to log on for the final moments of 1.0. So I've been looking for videos or something that can explain the whole story of 1.0 before ARR begins. I found this line of videos. It's a series of videos done by Dual Shockers TV and it's called "The Story so Far" and is made up of 26 chapters:

http://youtu.be/1zk4UCp5dnI

Has anyone watched these videos? Are they representative of the entire story? Is there a better resource to get the whole story of 1.0?

THANKS!"

Posted this in the beta thread, but thought I would post this here too to see if I can get a couple more responses:

"Quick question for the FFXIV 1.0 vets:

I never finished all of the 1.0 mainline story quests and wasn't able to log on for the final moments of 1.0. So I've been looking for videos or something that can explain the whole story of 1.0 before ARR begins. I found this line of videos. It's a series of videos done by Dual Shockers TV and it's called "The Story so Far" and is made up of 26 chapters:

http://youtu.be/1zk4UCp5dnI

Has anyone watched these videos? Are they representative of the entire story? Is there a better resource to get the whole story of 1.0?

THANKS!"

I watched them all. The bad thing about the ones from that channel is you basically have to pause every time a new line of text comes up because the recorder just instantly skips though as fast as he can.

Another thing to note is that that channel also only shows one cities starting quests and grand company, so will need to get the others elsewhere, but they are easy to find. Same with all the class and job quest cut scenes.

Jinko

They may have fixed it.

Or they may have forced better anti-aliasing through the video cards driver software.

I guess we won't know for certain until the next beta.

The leaves and plants being blocky isn't due to aliasing its because they are using low res alpha textures, looks like they might have upped the res though.

Azrael

I'm glad to see the final game will have item rewards from FATEs. I don't want to see a return to camping roaming NMs for items like Leaping Boots and Emperor's Hairpin, but it would be great if FATE NMs drop vanity items.

Teknoman

I'm glad to see the final game will have item rewards from FATEs. I don't want to see a return to camping roaming NMs for items like Leaping Boots and Emperor's Hairpin, but it would be great if FATE NMs drop vanity items.

Honestly, i'd like more than vanity stuff from them. A good mix would be nice.

Damn guess it doesn't work on vista. Yes I know why the fuck do I still have Vista? :lol

Just winrar extract it and use the background wallpaper or the FF sleep fanfare for windows log off sound.

Being a complete FFXIV noob, can someone explain to me the difference between Classes and Jobs? I thought I had some sort of an understanding until "Blacksmith" and "Botanist" fell under the Classes category.

Xux

Being a complete FFXIV noob, can someone explain to me the difference between Classes and Jobs? I thought I had some sort of an understanding until "Blacksmith" and "Botanist" fell under the Classes category.
Crafters and gatherers are their own classes with abilities and equipment. You switch classes by switching your main weapon or tool; you'd equip a saw to be a Carpenter or a pickaxe to be a Miner just as you would a bow to be an Archer or a spear to be a Lancer.

Jobs are sort of an upgrade (since most only have one option) or partying "spec" for the battle classes; you're more limited in what abilities you can use from other classes but you gain abilities to specialize in your role more.

Crafters and gatherers are their own classes with abilities and equipment. You switch classes by switching your main weapon or tool; you'd equip a saw to be a Carpenter or a pickaxe to be a Miner just as you would a bow to be an Archer or a spear to be a Lancer.

Jobs are sort of an upgrade (since most only have one option) or partying "spec" for the battle classes; you're more limited in what abilities you can use from other classes but you gain abilities to specialize in your role more.

Thanks for that. So any character can be any given class if they wield the class's weapon. As far as jobs go, do you have access to all jobs at all times, or is it a permanent choice you make at some point in the game?

I appreciate the answers - the official site isn't very descriptive about some of the game systems =/

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom