• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

John Carmack, Frostbite 2 tech director, Crytek, and Gearbox endorse PS4 spec

$h@d0w

http://twitter.com/ID_AA_Carmack/status/304607913853476864

@ID_AA_Carmack: I can’t speak freely about PS4, but now that some specs have been made public, I can say that Sony made wise engineering choices.

Randy Pitchford ‏@DuvalMagic
Thanks for the great event in NY @playstation - Very pleased with the commitment to 8gb of GDDR5 memory. Other specs are beautiful too!

Tiago Sousa ‏@CRYTEK_TIAGO
R&D Principal Graphics Programmer at Crytek. Worked on Far Cry, Crysis 1, 2 and 3 + all CryENGINE iterations.

8 GB unified mem as baseline for next tech iterations makes me very, very happy. Fun times coming ^_^

Stefan Boberg (Frostbite Technical Director) said something similar in his twitter:

https://twitter.com/bionicbeagle/status/304489044358873088

"Dev-friendly platforms FTW"
Repi said:
Johan Andersson ‏@repi
Rendering Architect at DICE working on Frostbite and future DICE/EA games. These are my personal views.

@Lt_Kernel we really do like the PS4! that is all I can say :)

lots of memory is essential for both the CPU & GPU to create large & alive game worlds

The fact that it's more like a PC and less like a closed console is a good change. It's the future and I like it. It's where it should be for all consoles and the rumor of Microsoft adapted Windows 8 architecture is a good news too. Less pain-stacking optimization and more simpler porting is a win-win for all.

$h@d0w

I think Carmack is one of the greatest minds in gaming today and to hear this from him is a pretty big deal. He's historically critical of Sony's past efforts.

Q

Queen of Hunting

Unconfirmed Member
after rage he has alot of proving too, how the gods have fallen in the recent years

Derrick01

Banned
after rage he has alot of proving too, how the gods have fallen in the recent years

"He" doesn't have anything to prove. Rage looked great and ran at 60fps on consoles (pretty sure it was a legit 720p too), you should be kissing his feet and praising his wizardry. "He" is not responsible for the actual game content of Rage and how good or bad it was.

ekim

untitledgisx9.png

bjaelke

Randy Pitchford ‏@DuvalMagic
Thanks for the great event in NY @playstation - Very pleased with the commitment to 8gb of GDDR5 memory. Other specs are beautiful too!

"He" doesn't have anything to prove. Rage looked great and ran at 60fps on consoles (pretty sure it was a legit 720p too), you should be kissing his feet and praising his wizardry. "He" is not responsible for the actual game content of Rage and how good or bad it was.

It's because it failed the 'walk up to a wall, zoom as far in as you can go and examine the quality of the texture' test, as meaningless as that is.

Derrick01

Banned
It's because it failed the 'walk up to a wall, zoom as far in as you can go and examine the quality of the texture' test, as meaningless as that is.

Yeah I know I made fun of that in the PC version but honestly that doesn't really matter. It's not like anyone does that while they're naturally playing the game. 95% of the time all I saw was a fantastic looking game.

Hari Seldon

8GB of GDDR5 is fucking outstanding anyway you look at it. PS4 is going to have great PC-dev support with the specs it has.

Top Bottom