• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

John Carmack, Frostbite 2 tech director, Crytek, and Gearbox endorse PS4 spec

Harlock

Xbox team must be scrambling to put more ram in the system.

Fun times ahead. Back in the 90s, when numbers matter!

forrest

formerly nacire
Carmack needs to go back to the drawing board and figure out what makes a good game first.

slaplmrls.gif

I'm not sure John Carmack does what some of you people think he does.

"He" doesn't have anything to prove. Rage looked great and ran at 60fps on consoles (pretty sure it was a legit 720p too), you should be kissing his feet and praising his wizardry. "He" is not responsible for the actual game content of Rage and how good or bad it was.

Good lord, dark times have come if you have to explain such an obvious thing to people.

2MF

So, with the PS4 and most likely the next Xbox both having 8GB RAM (though, maybe at different speeds) it is safe to assume that the Recommended Specs for PC games will be soon be 8GB as well? Every new console generation typically brings a healthy jump in specs for hardware across all platforms.

I thought the rumor was always that the next Xbox has 8GB of RAM. The type of RAM is the question. It was not GDDR5. I hope they changed it.

So, with the PS4 and most likely the next Xbox both having 8GB RAM (though, maybe at different speeds) it is safe to assume that the Recommended Specs for PC games will be soon be 8GB as well? Every new console generation typically brings a healthy jump in specs for hardware across all platforms.

PC memory is split into pools like it was on the PS3. How this will effect he PC space is uncertain. More than likely is that video mem requirements will go up... but the recommended amounts of main system RAM will be similar as they always ahve been

I thought the rumor was always that the next Xbox has 8GB of RAM. The type of RAM is the question. It was not GDDR5. I hope they changed it.

If they want to be competitive with playstation 4 on the gaming the have too.
But if they dont want to compete on the gaming front then well good knowing you microsoft imo. Gonna wait what friends are going too buy.

PC memory is split into pools like it was on the PS3. How this will effect he PC space is uncertain. More than likely is that video mem requirements will go up... but the recommended amounts of main system RAM will be similar as they always ahve been

2.5D and 3D stacking maybe and new memory board where gpu and cpu can use one pool.
Im not even sure that will be possible without new memoryboard designs.

see5harp

I admire his Carmack's work with tech in the past but I wasn't sold at all on the megatexture tech. There was a absolute ton of sacrifice on consoles to get it runnning in 60 fps. There was an incredible amount of texture pop in on PS3...like worse than the absolute worst UE3 game. Everything did look really varied in towns and in the (worthless) open world though so I guess. Kudos to Sony for admitting that the Cell architecture was a mistake though. This might hopefully enable easier development for first parties and third parties alike as well as enable a path for BC moving forward so they don't need to rely on a streaming solution.

Azih

Compare this to how programmers reacted to Ken Kutaragi's PS3.

Sony is doing much better now seems like. Though the price point is the big question now. I'm sure they've learned from 599 US Dollars as well.

forrest

formerly nacire
Off-topic: What kind of a tasteless gif is this? This isn't cool on any level IMO.

Sorry to derail and I wasn't trying to be cool. It's a gif that I find humorous honestly. Not because it portrays some sort of machismo sexist abuse or anything, but because it is absolutely silly in its portrayal of one person setting another straight. I found it a pretty fitting response and apologize if you're offended instead of humored.

Again sorry to derail.

I will add to the discussion that anytime you have developer endorsement it's a good sign. Additionally, anytime you have John Carmack's endorsement, it's an incredibly good sign. The man doesn't mince words or speak untruths when talking about hardware and capability. Bringing subjective opinions on game design, story, etc. for projects that he has worked on seems a little out of place in regards to this topic as we are strictly speaking about hardware specs.

Quake V Arena is the game the PS4 (and PC) deserves.

Don't tease me.

Blades64

Banned
Sorry to derail and I wasn't trying to be cool. It's a gif that I find humorous honestly. Not because it portrays some sort of machismo sexist abuse or anything, but because it is absolutely silly in its portrayal of one person setting another straight. I found it a pretty fitting response and apologize if you're offended instead of humored.

Again sorry to derail.

I'm sorry if it seemed like I was attacking you. I just saw a gif of a man slapping a woman, and well yeah...

eot

Banned
Quake V Arena is the game the PS4 (and PC) deserves.

Quake V Arena on consoles would be horrible (sorry).
The reason shooters work (to the degree that they do) on controllers is because they've abandoned everything Q3A was. There are a few console versions of Q3 and they all play horribly because it's a game designed for kb/m. If they bastardize its sequel by designing it for a controller I'll be plenty upset.

antitrop

Quake V Arena on consoles would be horrible (sorry).
The reason shooters work (to the degree that they do) on controllers is because they've abandoned everything Q3A was. There are a few console versions of Q3 and they all play horribly because it's a game designed for kb/m. If they bastardize its sequel by designing it for a controller I'll be plenty upset.
I would obviously be expecting to plug a mouse and keyboard into the PS4.

Competitive shooters on controllers are a joke, this is well known.

Top Bottom