• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

John Carmack, Frostbite 2 tech director, Crytek, and Gearbox endorse PS4 spec

Q

Queen of Hunting

Unconfirmed Member
It's because it failed the 'walk up to a wall, zoom as far in as you can go and examine the quality of the texture' test, as meaningless as that is.

its because he failed on most of is promises with rage

Saty

But isn't the necessity to code the game for the 720 with its lesser RAM and still make both versions look equal takes some of the sting off from the PS4 having 8GB GDDR5?

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
How different is this from his view on the PS3? Wasn't he always fairly negative about what Sony did with it?

Well, here were his comments after Rage launched:

Carmack said:
we don’t know of anything we can do to improve ps3 performance much, especially on wasteland. Tight memory, poor IO performance.

The PS3 does lag a little bit behind in terms of getting the performance out of it. The rasteriser is just a little bit slower – no two ways about that. The RSX is slower than what we have in the 360. Processing wise, the main CPU is about the same, but the 360 makes it easier to split things off, and that’s where a lot of the work has been, splitting it all into jobs on the PS3.
Source: http://www.gamersmint.com/ps3-has-tight-memory-poor-io-performance-john-carmack

~Devil Trigger~

In favor of setting Muslim women on fire
They approve.

440px-Illuminati.jpg

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
Well I'm really glad that Gearbox has endorsed it. Now please do us all a favour and not develop for it.

Geoff9920

its because he failed on most of is promises with rage
This post makes no sense. What he pulled off on the consoles was a freaking miracle.

edit: More importantly though I'm glad to hear a lot of high profile programmers liking the specs of the console.

Radec

I bet one of them will still release a not so next gen game because something is holding them back just for "parity".

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
I wonder if it's too late for MS to change to GDDR5?

So developers are saying the reveal/specs are great (particularly ones i am very interested in iD & Crytek). Hardcore gamers are saying the specs are great...

Most gaming news outlets are saying the event was a dud....

Q

Queen of Hunting

Unconfirmed Member
I wonder if it's too late for MS to change to GDDR5?

most of the rumors that were leaking info were from details last year, so ms atleast knew they had Gddr5 with 4gb so if they wanted to they could have easily changed their Ram.

Sony only added the extra 4GB very recently so its entirely possible ms is on the same playing field in memory area.

Biggzy

So developers are saying the reveal/specs are great (particularly ones i am very interested in iD & Crytek). Hardcore gamers are saying the specs are great...

Most gaming news outlets are saying the event was a dud....

That's because most people find specs quite boring.

Still bitter? He was right about the PS3, not that it wasn't apparent back then. The Cell was a disaster.

I was quite shocked when Sony admitted that the Cell was a mistake.

2MF

Gratz man...

But if they fire you, they can probably buy 8 new/more devkits :p

Quite honestly I don't care what developers are happy with. Just because it's easier for them doesn't mean we'll get good games out of it.

It means we can spend more time working with what's important (i.e. making the game bug-free, making the artists/designers happy and efficient with their editing tools, adding new gameplay features, etc.), instead of spending a lot of time making a square peg fit into a round hole. If you don't care about any of those examples, well...

lefantome

That s a great thing easier multiplatforms developments, less expensive ports and with 8gb of ram they can do great things

Top Bottom