• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

John Carmack, Frostbite 2 tech director, Crytek, and Gearbox endorse PS4 spec

i-Lo

I want to know what these guys have to say:

• Cliffy B (Epic?)
  • Technical director from 4A Games
  • ND
  • SSM
  • CDProjektRed
  • Tim Sweeney (Epic)
  • Todd Howard (Bethesda)
  • More from Bungie
  • ICE Team
  • Crytek about the implication on evolving CryEngine 3 on the platform

Globox_82

Banned
john-carmack.jpg

randy-pitchford-praise-ps4-specs.jpg

stefan-boberg.png

crytek.png

naughty-dog.png

Sony revealed the PS4 recently and also its specifications at an event in New York.

There are a lot of people who were shocked when Mark Cerny announced that the console has 8GB GDDR5 RAM, and now we have reactions from different developers who are extremely pleased with the specs.

The RAM seems to be a terrific decision from Sony, as people were mostly expecting 4GB GDDR5.

http://www.gamechup.com/developers-react-positively-on-ps4-specs-fun-times-coming-crytek/

adixon

Does the crytek quote pretty much refute what people were saying earlier about Epic being excited about the ps4 and Crytek saying it wasn't a big enough jump? Seemed like people might have been taking a quote out of context before.

*edit* is there another thread?

Does the crytek quote pretty much refute what people were saying earlier about Epic being excited about the ps4 and Crytek saying it wasn't a big enough jump? Seemed like people might have been taking a quote out of context before.

*edit* is there another thread?

I mean the jump in the graphics department isn't that big if you ask me.
But then again i have become a pc gamer the last 2 years.

I think the 8GB GDDR5 makes them more excited then the gpu.

thuway

I wonder if it's too late for MS to change to GDDR5?

If you want the machine in 2014, they could go above and beyond. What's the point though? The DDR3 will keep them in the same ballpark. The next Xbox will render a slightly lower resolution, omit certain expensive features (TXAA in favor of FXAA), and take out certain NPC's etc- and there you go; perfect port where 90% of people will fail to see the difference. This isn't an arms race, but a concerted effort to make money.

Most importantly, the next Xbox will be significantly cheaper to produce. Sony will lose ground significantly in the war for the bottom dollar. What Sony should have done is stuck around for WIDE IO- perhaps they will switch it up next year after some crafty engineering.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Dev comments about PS4 are what have me the most excited. Sure, I like seeing good specs on paper but when I hear that it sparks excitement in the creators themselves it really makes me hopeful for the future of the platform. Sony learned their lesson from the PS3. Hopefully it pays off.

I wonder if it's too late for MS to change to GDDR5?

I don't think it's possible because their whole architecture is designed around the fact they have 8gb of DDR3 memory. They have 32mb of ESRAM, and the data move engines in their to mitigate the lower bandwidth. They would have to cancel and change all of that. Doesn't seem possible to me. With PS4 is was just a price question, doubling the memory. Every bit of architecture stayed the same.

edit: IMO MS reaction to this could of been, "fine Sony you beat us here and may have one this battle, but we believe we'll win the war because our system will be cheaper to produce." Basically I think a price war will be coming. MS sees their advantage here.

mavs

can someone explain what he means? from Engstad's tweet.

In PCs, for the CPU and GPU to communicate they must pass data/instructions across the PCI-express bus, which has less bandwidth than the memory bus of either component. Beyond the bandwidth concern, it also takes some care to avoid performance-killing overhead when you need them to communicate on a tight schedule. Hopefully the designs of both consoles can reduce that problem.

USC-fan

Banned
If you want the machine in 2014, they could go above and beyond. What's the point though? The DDR3 will keep them in the same ballpark. The next Xbox will render a slightly lower resolution, omit certain expensive features (TXAA in favor of FXAA), and take out certain NPC's etc- and there you go; perfect port where 90% of people will fail to see the difference. This isn't an arms race, but a concerted effort to make money.

Most importantly, the next Xbox will be significantly cheaper to produce. Sony will lose ground significantly in the war for the bottom dollar. What Sony should have done is stuck around for WIDE IO- perhaps they will switch it up next year after some crafty engineering.

Well 8gb of gddr5 is impossible in a console anyway. So thy don't have much choice...

I want to know what these guys have to say:

• Cliffy B (Epic?)
  • Technical director from 4A Games
  • ND
  • SSM
  • CDProjektRed
  • Tim Sweeney (Epic)
  • Todd Howard (Bethesda)
  • More from Bungie
  • ICE Team
  • Crytek about the implication on evolving CryEngine 3 on the platform

Digital Foundry recently had an interview with Oles Shishkovstov, 4A's chief technical officer, here are a few relevant parts:

Digital Foundry: Let's talk about next-gen console. What's your take on the general design in terms of CPU and graphics processing power?

Oles Shishkovstov: We are talking PS4, right? I am very excited about both CPU and GPU. Jaguar is a pretty well-balanced out-of-order core and there are eight of them inside. I always wanted a lot of relatively-low-power cores instead of single super-high-performance one, because it's easier to simply parallelise something instead of changing core-algorithms or chasing every cycle inside critical code segment (not that we don't do that, but very often we can avoid it).

Many beefier cores would be even better, but then we'll be left without a GPU! With regards the graphics core, it's great, simply great. It's a modern-age high-performance compute device with unified memory and multiple compute-contexts. The possibilities of CPU-GPU-CPU communication are endless, we can easily expect games doing, for example, AI pathfinding/route planning executing on GPU to become a common thing.

Digital Foundry: To what extent is the 8GB of GDDR5 in the PlayStation 3 [sic] a game-changer? What implications does that have for PC, where even the standard GTX 680 ships with just 2GB of GDDR5?

Oles Shishkovstov: RAM is really, really important for games, but all of it actually being useful depends on available CPU-side bandwidth and latency to the external storage device. I think that they put slightly more RAM than necessary for truly next-generation games this time, but considering the past history of Sony stealing significant percentage of RAM from developers for OS needs - that may be exactly the right amount!

Top Bottom