• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NeoGAF's Top/Essential Indie Games

VOTING IS CLOSED. HEAD HERE FOR THE RESULTS!

This is my very first thread, and I admit it may be an ambitious one. I frankly don't think I'm the most appropriate person to make it, but I have the feeling this is something that kind of needs to be done, and so far I've been unsuccessful to fool worthier GAFers to do it for me. :D Anyway.

A recent thread which had the noble goal of increasing indie game visibility made me realize the great divide there is between indie-crazy gamers and ones who won't touch the stuff with a ten foot pole. More than anything, and as someone who is perhaps somewhat in between, I've realized that by far the biggest barrier of entry for people skipping all indie games wholesale, is the fact that there are simply so many of them; and, let's be frank, the low barrier of entry means that there is quite a lot of chaff obscuring the truly great wheat. There are threads on GAF listing the best recent indie games, plus encouraging everyone to post their recommendations; these threads are an amazing resource for indie veterans, but they're not nearly as useful to the average GAFer, and will overwhelm them even more; who has time to install, let alone play, 50 games a month? There's also the issue that, even if we were to concede that each of these games are "worth playing" for a particular reason or another, it is highly unlikely that a couple of them picked at random will the ones to sway someone to the indie camp; many indie games are just too niche and scratch specific itches of the one that recommended it, itches that might not be exactly universal. Even SalsaShark's amazing thread for overlooked indie games is tailored to (and a boon for) the indie connoisseur, rather than the average Joe who doesn't even know of Super Meat Boy or Cave Story.

I believe we may need the exact opposite; a relatively short list of the most widely acclaimed, best GAF-regarded indie games of all times; games with such an universal appeal that if you pick the top five, it's nearly impossible to love at least a couple of them. Let's use the very top spots to pique people's interest in the indie scene, and let them traverse down the list at their pace and leisure.

My other inspiration for making this thread is the awesome "Essential RPGs" thread on GAF. Everyone has their tastes and favorites, but looking at this list I can't help thinking every single one of the top ten, at least, is a shining masterpiece that every RPG fan should experience. If we could get something even remotely similar to that, well, I feel this would be an awesome first-stop for anyone wanting to dip their toes in the indie waters.

Again, since the "Essential RPGs" thread worked so well, I'm going to follow its exact same format. That is, each poster gets to vote for ten games, and each game gets one point; there are no weights assigned to single games you vote for, so you don't need to sort them by quality or anything (I personally sorted mine alphabetically, because I'm compulsive like that). Assuming the thread doesn't fall into eternal obscurity in a matter of minutes (which I frankly half-fear), I'll tally the points to see what are the most beloved indie games on GAF, and if I have a bit of time, put logos/screenshots/videos/music for the top ones (of course, if anyone else wants to take on that, I'll be more than glad! :D).

By the way, you don't need to limit yourselves to PC games; the current generation of consoles has opened the doors for lots of indie developers to publish on WiiWare, PlayStation Network, Xbox Live Arcade, Xbox Live Independent Games, etc. If they're indie, they're fair game! Of course, it goes without saying that not all games published on these services are indie, either. :D

I will tally the votes in a month's time, or if the thread goes through a handful of days without new valid votes (whichever happens first).

As an addendum, I was not expecting it, but the hardest part of this entire post was narrowing my own list to ten. Realizing I would have to leave A+ stuff (see below) out of my top ten felt ridiculous and painful at the same time :/ I've included a list with the ones I left out... which does absolutely nothing except ease my conscience slightly.

My "Top Ten" list:
Braid
Cave Story
Dustforce
FTL
Machinarium
Maldita Castilla
SpaceChem
Spelunky
Super Meat Boy
To The Moon

My "sadly cut from the Top Ten" list:
Anomaly: Warzone Earth
Aquaria
Atom Zombie Smasher
Bastion
Desktop Dungeons
Hydorah
Jamestown
La-Mulana
Limbo
Legend of Grimrock
Mark of the Ninja
Sine Mora
Trine

Please vote! Only YOU can help spread the word about the very games you love!

AHA-Lambda

Some of my own personal favs in no order:

VVVVVV
Super Meat Boy
Hotline Miami
Cave Story+
Mark of the Ninja
To The Moon
Flower
Bastion
Thomas Was Alone
World of Goo

Sorted for funzies, I know there's no weighting

God-tier:
Fez
Bastion

Also excellent:
Super Meat Boy
Awesomenauts
Braid
VVVVVV
FTL
Hotline Miami
Cave Story+
Frozen Synapse

I think i'd need to know the limit on what's considered Indie or not, I tend to think of most downloadable titles across all platforms for the most part yet some of these going through my head right now aren't exactly Indie developers.

Oh man, let's see what I can do. This is going to be extra rough off the top of my head. In any case, these are ten indie games I love.

Zeno Clash
Braid
Yume Nikki
An Untitled Story
Flail
Super Hexagon
Cogs
Mark of the Ninja
Dwarf Fortress
Immortal Defense

Why not! it's a list. Subject to changes.

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
Pure indie: Where is my Heart
Best indie if you stretch indie to include having a Sony contract: Journey

The rest, tiered:

Flower
Limbo
FTL
Dwarf Fortress

Braid
The Unfinished Swan
Papo & Yo

FloatOn

Bastion
Mark of the Ninja
Terraria
Hotline Miami
Super Meat Boy

are essential. there are much more that are also very good.

edit: how could I forget Binding of Isaac and World of Goo??? these are also essential.

km3k

Neo Member
All very good choices. A few more I didn't see mentioned:

The Sea Will Claim Everything
The Ben Jordan series
Amnesia
Dear Esther
Soulcaster I & II

I enjoyed the following:

VVVVV - Platformer
Ben There Dan That - Adventure
Braid - Puzzle/Platformer
Cave Story - Action Adventure
Costume Quest - RPG
FTL - Strategy
Gemini Rue - Adventure
Hard Reset - FPS
Jamestown - Shmup
Killing Floor - Co op FPS
Legend of Grimrock - Dungeon Crawling RPG
Magical Drop V - Puzzle
Terraria - ala Minecraft but in 2D
Cthulhu Saves the World - Satire RPG
Hotline Miami - Fuck shit up

I might be in the minority but I thought Bastion and Super Meat Boy were a bit over rated. Just my humble opinion.

CorySchmitz

Superbrothers: Sword & Sworcery EP
FEZ
VVVVVV
Ridiculous Fishing
Tokyo Jungle
Eliss
Faraway
Braid
Everyday Shooter
Proteus
Papo y Yo
Kentucky Route Zero
The Unfinished Swan
Flower
Journey
Hotline Miami
Dear, Esther
Spelunky

Binding of Isaac all ten spots

This is a tricky list because the concept of what is an "Indie Game" is pretty broad at times.
Basically I'm covering my ass in case someone starts complaining that something isn't an indie game

but an actual list
Binding of Isaac
Hotline Miami
FTL
Torchlight
Bit Trip Runner 2
Bastion
World of Goo
Minecraft
Fez
Journey

O.DOGG

That'll be tough to narrow down...

Audiosurf
Braid
Cave Story
FTL
Hotline Miami
Legend of Grimrock
Limbo
Mark of the Ninja
Space Chem
World of Goo

Nabs

Audiosurf
Chivalry: Medieval Warfare
Super Meat Boy
Dustforce
Treasure Adventure Game
Hotline Miami
Frozen Synapse
Mark of the Ninja
Toki Tori
Bastion

W-whoa! i'm kind of overwhelmed by the reception! Let's keep it up, guys!

One thing, though, in order to avoid inflating scores, I have to ask you to post exactly ten games each. At least I think that's how it was done in the RPG thread? Thing is, I could never find the voting threads themselves. In any case, can you guys edit your posts and add/remove games to get your lists to ten!

Thanks a lot, people, this is much appreciated! :)

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
W-whoa! i'm kind of overwhelmed by the reception! Let's keep it up, guys!

One thing, though, in order to avoid inflating scores, I have to ask you to post exactly ten games each. At least I think that's how it was done in the RPG thread? Thing is, I could never find the voting threads themselves. In any case, can you guys edit your posts and add/remove games to get your lists to ten!

Thanks a lot, people, this is much appreciated! :)

Just put a rule in the OP:

"ONLY THE FIRST 10 GAMES IN A POST WILL BE RATED".

TheNatural

My Member!
I don't have a top 10, but Altitude is my favorite. It's such a fun, simple mindless multiplayer game. If Nintendo made a small indie game, that's what comes to mind.

Noogy

Not sure I can narrow it down to just 10 games, but DOOM will always remain the best indie game in my book.

Technically speaking, one could argue that original Diablo, SimCity, Ultima are indie games, not to mention Borderland.

I wouldn't consider Borderlands a indie game, but going by the rules of this thread you are right (so this thread can go the way of so many & become a Platinum Games lovefest).

ToxicAdam

Would Flash Games (hosted on major sites) fall into this category? Because Kingdom Rush is one of the best Tower Defense games ever created.

Zia

Bastion
Beat Sneak Bandit
Braid
Fez
Limbo
Hotline Miami
Ridiculous Fishing
Spelunky
Super Hexagon
Year Walk

It's been a great year for indies. Six of the games on that list have been released in the past year. And it's not a love of the fresh, but rather I think a lot more is expected of indie developers as the lines are increasingly blurred (thatgamecompany's PlayStation output, aside from flOw, is not what I'd categorize as indie) and the real talents are stepping up in a big way. There wasn't an AAA game released last year as good as those six games.

Just off my list is stuff like Minecraft, Dwarf Fortress, Frozen Synapse, Thirty Flights of Loving, Canabalt and SpaceChem, among others.

vocab

vvvvvv
Gemini Rue
The Blackwell series
Cave story
Frozen Synapse
La mulana (hard as shit)
Legend of Grimrock
Hotline Miami
Bastion
Natural Selection 2
Mount and Blade (It started as an indie game).

Zia

nooo

Noooooo

NOOOOOOOOO

Ultimate-triple-Anti-Toma Combo.
*dead*

Hey, I said "just off." I had both Dwarf Fortress and Minecraft in my initial top ten. Frozen Synapse would probably have a spot if more than thirty people still played it. : (

Plants vs. Zombies isn't indie.

Anyway, this is tricky. From my top of my head there's Bastion and Retro/Grade, both of which are in my Top 20 games of all-time (which includes all games, not just indie).

Het_Nkik

To the Moon
VVVVVV
Super Hexagon
Noitu Love 2: Devolution
Super Meat Boy
Marvin's Mittens
Flower
Alien Hominid
Fez
Journey

I don't know if ThatGameCompany's games count. If not, replace them with World of Goo and Minecraft.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Hey, I said "just off." I had both Dwarf Fortress and Minecraft in my initial top ten. Frozen Synapse would probably have a spot if more than thirty people still played it. : (

Too late. You already killed me with a knife in the back.

(Btw, there are about 70 players online on FS daily, usually 15-40 at the same time.)

Audiosurf
Bastion
The Binding of Isaac
Cave Story+
FTL
Machinarium
Spelunky
Super Meat Boy
Toki Tori
VVVVVV

That's probably my choice, although I'm not sure where the line between "indie" and "downloadable" is drawn.

Did you ask the mod to do this first? Both RPG and FPS got mod permission. Mod hate list thread.

Oh... crap. O_O I had no clue permission was needed for something like this (starts sweating profusely). It had to be my first ever thread, too.
What should I do? Send a PM to a random mod? I'm a complete, 100% newbie when it comes to making threads in NeoGAF.

Ultimate-triple-Anti-Toma Combo.
*dead*

Do not judge people by what they left out of their lists, the fact that we had to is depressing enough already. :( I feel like a murderer for letting out Bastion and such from mine.

Plants vs. Zombies isn't indie.

I was wondering about it; I double-checked others like Bastion, MotN and such (since they were released by larger companies), but was always under the impression that Plants vs Zombies was developed by not a lot of people besides George Fan. But even if only a fraction of it was involved, it seems PopCap is 400 people big (holy crap), which definitely disqualifies it from being indie. I'll change my vote. Hey, as good news, this puts Mark of the Ninja on my top ten. :)

To the rest of people, do not take this as discouragement to put games that you think are indie, even if others would question it. We don't want to walk the "what's indie / not indie" war again; I'll count every game you post (but I ask you to use common sense, don't post Starcraft 2 :D).

Also, I really have to play Frozen Synapse. I'll install right away so that it looks me in the face when I have some free time.

Do not judge people by what they left out of their lists, the fact that we had to is depressing enough already. :( I feel like a murdered for letting out Bastion, Mark of the Ninja and others from mine.

You are.

Those two were by far the best ones I've seen so far.

Both of them came out of nowhere and were leagues better than most AAA games.

It's been a long ass time since I really liked a game like I did for those 2.

Corto

Frozen Synapse or Toma will kill me and my family
Unity of Command
Velocity
Where is my Heart
Starseed Pilgrim
Hotline Miami
SuperHexagon
Old Spice Saves The World
Endless Space
Botanicula

I kept the borderline independent developers/publisher funded out of my list.

Top Bottom