• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NeoGAF's Top/Essential Indie Games

teepo

i'm hurt by the lack of love for Dungeon Stone Soup not only in this thread, but throughout GAF :(

it is still considered by many as being the best rogue rpg till this very day and it's entirely free! the game has been continually updated throughout the years and in just the past year or two, it has had a major overhaul to its u.i. design making it even easier for newcomers to hop right in.

tiles_screenshot_storm_disc.png

http://crawl.develz.org/wordpress/

you can even stick it on a thumb drive and play it at work inconspicuously if played in its original ascii form! i easily played more of this than Spelunky at work, and that's saying a lot

2011-02-08_image2.jpg

start a thread TOMA! our glorious indie ambassador :(

i'm hurt by the lack of love for Dungeon Stone Soup not only in this thread, but throughout GAF :(

Your duty, then, is to compile a top ten list and include it this game in it. :D

You've already been successful in making me interested in it (although pure roguelikes, by virtue of there being approximately a million of them, don't usually interest me so much as roguelike-likes like FTL and Spelunky), so you will most likely get others to check or even remember it and probably include them in their lists.

I've noticed that games that get mentioned early have a good chance of reappering later, as people might have left them out of their lists by having completely forgotten about them. In fact, my policy of letting everyone change their lists as often as they want until the very end is mostly so that people can really post their top ten games, not the top ten they happened to remember at the time. :D

Horseticuffs

Full werewolf off the buckle
Probably one of my favorite side-scrollers of all time is the indie classic "Star Guard". It has such a simple, but classic, sci-fi story. I really love it. It takes a lot of inspiration from the works of Edgar Rice Boroughs.

http://vacuumflowers.com/star_guard/

Completely free, and absolutely worth your time! I instantly fell in love with it's minimalistic aesthetic and the way it tells it's story.

So,my top 5 are:
1) Star Guard
2) Hotline Miami
3) Run Man: Race around the world
4) Spelunky
5) Maldita Castle.

D

Deleted member 10571

Unconfirmed Member
Someone with more knowledge of these things than me should also open up a "Best free games according to GAF" thread. I don't even know why I'm mentioning this here, just came to mind.

Someone with more knowledge of these things than me should also open up a "Best free games according to GAF" thread. I don't even know why I'm mentioning this here, just came to mind.

You know, if this takes off I was actually thinking of dividing up next year into "Essential Free Indie Games" and "Essential Non-Free Indie Games". That said, I will make sure to point out price, or at the very least whether they're free, for the top entries in the tally, so you can go down that list and check the ones that are free.

i generally think that top x lists are not so great because they end up being a measure for which games the most people have played rather than which games are the best. sure there may be some correlation there (though maybe not) but its not a perfect proxy. that may be even worse when it comes to indie games since there are so many of them and the fanbases are all over the place.

anyway, i love me some indie games, so i'll play along.

braid - i love this game. i know it is controversial and it has some failings but i really do like it.
world of goo - i also love this game.
bastion - the gameplay in this is fine, but it really shines in other ways. the music is great, i like the narrator, i think the way the levels form around you is very cool.
nyxquest - i think bigger devs should look at this as an example of how to creatively use the unique properties of the wii. lost winds did too and got some press for it, but i prefer nyxquest.
bit trip beat - i like the bit trip series a lot and while there are one or two i havent played, this one is my favorite
bit trip runner - a great game in its own right, it also shows that even tired genres can be a great time when done right.
jump - i really wanted arkedo to continue making games in their series, but alas. anyway, jump is a really fun and solid platformer.
cave story - i havent played as much metroid as i should, and people tell me i shouldnt talk about this until i have played metroid, but cave story is great, as is its music.
machinarium - i also love me some adventure games and this one has great art, good characters, fair puzzles, and tells its story in an interesting way.
swords and soldiers - a creative and fun take on strategy games for wiiware. i wish i were better at it so i could see more of it.

fake edit - is journey indie? i saw some people put it. i dont consider it indie, but if it is i would include it in my list.

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
I added to the OP a bolded, underlined, capital-lettered bit about votes needing to include exactly 10 games. :D Dash Kappei, could you remake your post? You voted for a couple of games I didn't know about and I would hate to lose your votes (assuming we don't allow partial lists).

Also, Plants vs Zombies doesn't count (I actually put it in my top ten until I was made to notice PopCap is 400 employees :D).

Done!

This is rough because I used to be huge into indie games and continually followed all the news and often downloaded and tried just about anything I could get my hands on it. Despite that my list contains almost all bigger games that cost money instead of favoring the free experimental games. There's probably one or two more of those that should replace something on this list but I simply can't remember too well most of those games I played in years past.

Noitu Love 2: Devolution - Simply some of the most fun I've had playing through a game, even going through multiple times and not getting bored at all. It's constantly moving and has plenty of variety. Love the look of it, too.

Braid - Best thinker game. I rarely suggest it to people now or even think about it but I know that when I was going through it I loved all aspects and felt great each time I got each puzzle piece. Fez is sort of the game closest to replacing it but Fez simply had too many things that were simply too obscure. Overall Braid was simply more enjoyable and less frustrating.

Super Meat Boy - Wonderful twitch platformer. Everyone knows it already but the controls are precise and there's loads to see and do. The secrets are all fun to search out and having all the bonus characters to toy with is a good time.

Bastion - Loved the presentation. While the action was solid and quite enjoyable it was really about the way the world was put together and the narrator. And while I rarely listen to music from game soundtracks the vocal tracks from the game are my most listened to from any game this generation outside of the game.

Journey - Easily the most whimsical and oddly emotional. I've browsed and seen some say it doesn't belong as indie. Perhaps not. But thatgamecompany certainly has the right philosophy for a game company and I applaud what they do.

Dust: An Elysian Tail - An excellent complete package. Melds elements from many different games into a rather whole package. I'd argue it has a bit of a jack-of-all-trades problem where I'd love to have seen pretty much everything be deeper but ultimately that means I really just wanted more, and that's a sign of a great game. Just means Dust 2, if it should ever exist, will hopefully scratch that itch and already has my money.

Spacechem - Admittedly my least played game on this list. I'm pretty bad at making sure to play the games I buy on PC (most everything listed I played console versions if available). Despite that I played enough to get an impression of just how deep the game really is. I love the logic and puzzles in it and I really don't play hardly any puzzle games anymore.

Katawa Shoujo - I know it's not perfect. And the sex scenes were largely superfluous (arguments could be made about the emotional value in some way, I imagine?). I still went through the stories for each character and found myself be a dumb pile of tears at pivotal moments of nearly all of them as they knew how to pull on my emotions. I really didn't think it'd turn out well but I was sucked in.

Knytt Stories - I've played nearly everything Nifflas has put out except for Knytt Underground (own it, have yet to play it). I'd likely list that one in place of this but until then this remains my favorite. It's simpler than Saira but I think that was for the best as it was just great to explore. Exploring is one of my absolute favorite activities in a game and this one did it right.

N+ - This is the wild card. I wasn't sure what to include in the last spot but after thinking about it I put a LOT of time into this just trying to perfect my times for the 360 leaderboards. I never even beat it because I was spending hours on each group of five levels and eventually just moved on after only getting through about 60% of the levels with very good times.

Edit: In case Journey isn't considered indie (just checked to see that it had 18 members working on it, if team size is what we're mostly going off of) substitute Fez in place of it. I mainly left it off because I was aiming for a broad spectrum on my list and to at least get a few underdogs in but this one really deserves a place. The ideas behind it and all the secrets are simply amazing. While I enjoy chiptunes I didn't dig the soundtrack as much as most but I did feel the sound design formed a cohesive whole that completed the game. And as noted, I love games with exploring and while it wasn't exactly the same feeling as I was more focused on puzzling the feel of jumping around and the lack of punishment for falling made that all enjoyable.

If Journey remains then Fez gets the first spot on my honorable mention.

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
If Journey counts, it's even more absurd that the first Trials HD doesn't: RedLynx wasn't owned by Ubisoft back then, the game was just published by Microsoft (not even funded, while iirc Journet was founded by Sony AND published by Sony, can't see how that's "indie"?)

Btw, when does the voting end? OP says nothing about that.

If Journey counts, it's even more absurd that the first Trials HD doesn't: RedLynx wasn't owned by Ubisoft back then, the game was just published by Microsoft (not even funded, while iirc Journet was founded by Sony AND published by Sony, can't see how that's "indie"?)

Well, as per usual in any indie thread it's just a big argument from both sides but this is straight from thatgamecompany's wiki page: "thatgamecompany is an American independent video game development studio co-founded by University of Southern California students Kellee Santiago and Jenova Chen. The studio was formerly a developer for Sony Computer Entertainment, contracted to create three downloadable games for the PlayStation 3's PlayStation Network service, and has since secured independent funding."

So they're a fully independent company and were founded separate from Sony but they were definitely funded and contracted by Sony for their three titles. I'll add an edit for a replacement game if Journey is excluded in the end due to the contract.

Honestly I'm sure a good number of the games through this thread have had publishing or help from major publishers. I'd rather use this thread to celebrate excellent games than to argue what is or isn't considered "indie" these days.

Honestly I'm sure a good number of the games through this thread have had publishing or help from major publishers. I'd rather use this thread to celebrate excellent games than to argue what is or isn't considered "indie" these days.

Okay, I vote Luigi's Mansion: Dark Moon then. You guys should really check it out, it's amazing.

Ultimately you're going to have to make a meaningful distinction. Thatgamecompany could certainly be independent now, but during that contract, they were incubated by one of the biggest game publishers in the world. They were given millions of dollars in funding, and had regular assistance by developers employed by Sony. Additionally, Sony owns the IP for those three games.

This is a far cry from the situation of, say, Team Meat, who is a two-man crew that is simply sending in their games for certification.

Without this distinction, you could easily argue that Next Level Games is "indie" and the latest Luigi's Mansion would qualify. Generally people won't do this because Nintendo isn't trying to promote NLG as an "artsy indie studio" to boost their indie cred like Sony constantly did with thatgamecompany.

So it's best to make a clear decision and decide what the spirit of your thread is going to be in order for the voting/thread to function properly. I'm not saying it's easy. I go to great lengths doing this for the GotY voting and it's a struggle to get the answer right. But you have to do it or else it falls apart. Some people will be upset -- for instance there are people that want to vote for Dark Souls wherever possible. Hell, there are some that want to vote for it in this thread, I bet.

Arthea

Need some clarification on some games I think. Is Journey eligible? Flower? If it is
Journey - beautiful
To the moon - interesting and original
Bastion - hard to believe it's an indie game
Limbo - this game is oosing style, really
Braid - time, time, time
Flower - the most relaxing game?
Machinarium - funny
The Unfinished Swan - great idea
Dear Esther - wut iz it? :)
Amnesia - scary

Okay, I vote Luigi's Mansion: Dark Moon then. You guys should really check it out, it's amazing.

Ultimately you're going to have to make a meaningful distinction. Thatgamecompany could certainly be independent now, but during that contract, they were incubated by one of the biggest game publishers in the world. They were given millions of dollars in funding, and had regular assistance by developers employed by Sony. Additionally, Sony owns the IP for those three games.

This is a far cry from the situation of, say, Team Meat, who is a two-man crew that is simply sending in their games for certification.

Without this distinction, you could easily argue that Next Level Games is "indie" and the latest Luigi's Mansion would qualify. Generally people won't do this because Nintendo isn't trying to promote NLG as an "artsy indie studio" to boost their indie cred like Sony constantly did with thatgamecompany.

So it's best to make a clear decision and decide what the spirit of your thread is going to be in order for the voting/thread to function properly. I'm not saying it's easy. I go to great lengths doing this for the GotY voting and it's a struggle to get the answer right. But you have to do it or else it falls apart. Some people will be upset -- for instance there are people that want to vote for Dark Souls wherever possible. Hell, there are some that want to vote for it in this thread, I bet.

I still think there's a fair difference from a smaller team working on a project of their own interests vs. one that is purely contract work, albeit well-done. I'm sure in the contract Sony was able to exert plenty of force, and perhaps even did, but Journey doesn't come across as a corporate game that's out to hit all the AAA factors of popular interests. Luigi's Mansion on the other hand was a sequel that followed a rather exact formula. Next Level did a great job on it but it wasn't an original project they conceived and put together. That's why I think something like Journey deserves to be considered and other projects from independent teams under contract work wouldn't.

I've seen some in the thread discuss size of the team. The wiki page for Journey says it was developed by 18 members of thatgamecompany. Reading up on it there seems to have been some help from Sony Santa Monica but it doesn't sound like they threw in dozens of workers to work on the game or anything like that.

Journey deserves a spot, in my opinion, for where the term indie is now considered. Otherwise a very large amount of the games listed often in this thread would have to be dropped as most received funding from Microsoft or Sony but were left largely to complete the games on their own. In the truest sense of the word independent it'd be hard to list anything other than stuff on Xbox Live Indies, Playstation Minis (maybe? don't know the deal with those that well), and digitally distributed on PCs.

In the end we can largely see how much people believe certain games are indie based off of how they do overall in the thread. If nobody argues with your pick of Luigi's Mansion: Dark Moon then so be it but you might be the only mention and thus it wouldn't do well in the overall ranking. Looking through the thread I think most agree that Journey belongs in a list like this and that ultimately will dictate where the line is drawn on indie or not.

Edit: I stupidly talked about Punch-Out in terms of Next Level Games because that's what I associate to them. Fixed it up to actually be relevant to your example, heh.

SparkTR

Legend of Grimrock
FTL
Hotline Miami
Minecraft
Natural Selection 2
Chivalry
Path of Exile
Amnesia
Antichamber
Mount & Blade Warband

Very good call. For some reason I don't think of Doublefine's games as indie but they do fit the definition.

I have personally not considered them as indie for the effects of my own list (which would have probably included one or two games from them), but I will not disqualify them if people vote for them. :)

i generally think that top x lists are not so great because they end up being a measure for which games the most people have played rather than which games are the best. sure there may be some correlation there (though maybe not) but its not a perfect proxy. that may be even worse when it comes to indie games since there are so many of them and the fanbases are all over the place.

This has been discussed at length in the thread itself already and even referenced in the OP. To briefly sum up, I'm OK with more popular games being higher at the top for the time being.

fake edit - is journey indie? i saw some people put it. i dont consider it indie, but if it is i would include it in my list.

My policy right now is to allow games that are "borderline" or "debatable", and let their own "debatable" status work against them (i.e. if many people don't consider a game "indie", it will be lower in the chart). This is mostly a practicality as I simply don't have neither the criteria to estabilish something ultimately as "indie" or "not indie", nor the resources to research each individual case.

However, for that very reason, you have to use your own judgement: even if you see a certain game in another person's list, if you don't think a game meets your personal "indie" criteria, you should actually not vote for them (perfect example: me and Double Fine, see above).

Thanks a lot! Ironically, your list was valid even without the edit, as since then we've adopted a policy of "five minimum" rather than ten. But hey, you get to vote for more games! :)

By all means include Trials HD; I haven't seen conclusive evidence of it being obviously non-indie. Feel free to edit your list again if you want to include it. :)

I actually added this to the OP a few days ago:

I will tally the votes in a month's time, or if the thread goes through a handful of days without new valid votes (whichever happens first).

From what I'm reading about Next Level Games, Wikipedia qualifies as "an independent video game developer based in Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada.". Feel free to vote for LM:DM, it's entirely covered under the current rules. I entirely understand your point about being "against the spirit" of the thread (I personally would not consider it for my personal list), but the rules I've set specifically protect it.

Unfortunately I don't have the means to provide conclusive, clear cut answers regarding what is indie and what is not. "Indie-ness" is a continuum, and any point you make the cut is arbitrary. I can say that receiving funding from a bigger company makes another non-indie, but even that is not always readily available or clear-cut.

I would love it to have a definite, black-and-white list of what is fair and what is not, and if anyone can provide a reputable one, I'll be immensely happy to use it. As it is, it's impossible to get two people to agree on a large number of individual titles, so I've chosen, at least for the time being, to let the problem resolve itself in the manner described above (if a game is less clearly indie, less people will vote for it).

I also hope you understand I cannot change the rules mid-voting, least of all with so many people already having commited their votes. However, I invite anyone with more free time than me to enforce stricter rules in future versions of this thread. In fact, it was my hope all along that someone would take over me for future editions should this garner any kind of success; I only created this thread because I felt it was sorely needed, and I couldn't convince anyone else to make it. :D

After finishing Maldita Castilla the other day (bad ending, no final stage), I now realize I have to put it in my top ten. Unfortunately, that means "demoting" one of my other ten, which were already culled and as all hell. :(

Also, it's been five days since the last voting post (SparkTRs). If two more days go on without a vote, I'll close the vote and start tallying. :)

zkylon

zkylewd
alright, tomorrow I'll get my shit together and write something.

wanted to play a bunch more indie games to prepare but bio infinite has taken most of my not-LoL time.

I'll add super hexagon though, I'm in love with it.

Thanks! OK, your vote "resets the timer" so I will tally either a week from now (if nobody else posts a list in the meantime) or two weeks from now (one month from the start of the thread, hard deadline).

Edit: And I'm still deciding what game to "demote" for Maldita Castilla. It's heartbreaking :(. Strictly speaking, the "less good" (but still awesome) would be Desktop Dungeons, but it's also the one that's bound to receive the least votes otherwise, and that seems horribly unfair considering how good it is. Omitting any of the other nine seems like a crime. I can't even use the "arguably non-indie" criteria as I've already culled all such games from my list, only indisputably indie titles remaining. Gah.

Superflat

Braid
Hotline Miami
Journey
Beat Trip Beat
Katawa Shoujo
Thirty Flights of Loving
Year Walk
Binding of Isaac
Sword & Sworcery
Amnesia

Not one of the best indie games but shout out to PRIMAL CARNAGE. FUCKIN' DINOSAURS.

Leezard

In no particular order:
FTL
Binding of Isaac
Dungeons of Dredmore
Spelunky
Bastion
Cave Story
Trine
Legend of Grimrock

Well, it does have a lot of roguelikes.

This has been discussed at length in the thread itself already and even referenced in the OP. To briefly sum up, I'm OK with more popular games being higher at the top for the time being.

i understand that. i have never participated in gafs games of the year or essential genre voting before for exactly that reason, but i wanted to participate in this one because i love that the indie scene exists and overcame that particularly bugaboo of mine. thanks for doing all the work on the thread.

My policy right now is to allow games that are "borderline" or "debatable", and let their own "debatable" status work against them (i.e. if many people don't consider a game "indie", it will be lower in the chart). This is mostly a practicality as I simply don't have neither the criteria to estabilish something ultimately as "indie" or "not indie", nor the resources to research each individual case.

However, for that very reason, you have to use your own judgement: even if you see a certain game in another person's list, if you don't think a game meets your personal "indie" criteria, you should actually not vote for them (perfect example: me and Double Fine, see above).

completely fair. i love journey and double fine games, but do not plan to include them in my lists. if asked to justify where i draw the line on what is or isnt indie, i am sure i could not do it, so i do not plan to introspect and will instead ignore the problem and stick with my list.

Good news everyone! I got official permission for both this thread, and a follow-up thread with the tally. :) I'll most likely tally next weekend (i.e. a week from now).

Just a heads-up; I'll be tallying this weekend, so I'll probably close submissions in a few hours (pretty much as soon as I can spare some free time this weekend).

Zissou

If not too late, here is my ballot:
VVVVVV
Super Meat Boy
Hotline Miami
FTL
Jamestown
Super Hexagon
Everyday Shooter
Evacuation

I need to play more indie games- looking forward to the results thread for ideas.

Worry not, your entry is in. :)
However, I'm going to start tallying now. If anyone sees this and wants to make a last minute-contribution, post in the next ten minutes or be silent forever!

Top Bottom