• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

You're finally Iwata. What changes do you make at Nintendo?

big youth

These are just some questions to use as a springboard

Advertising: How would you better advertise the Wii U worldwide to spark sales, and how would you advertise to improve 3DS sales outside of Japan?

Localization: Would your localization policy differ?

3rd party support: How would you get more 3rd party games on Wii U? Are their certain developers you would target?

1st party games: Whether a big picture shift or small picture specifics on how to make the best selling 3D Zelda yet, do you have any ideas here?

eshop: should Nintendo be releasing a notable VC game every week, or dump every game possible onto it immediately and use it as a selling point?

any policy changes? Any changes in staff? What future games should get hardware bundles? When should Wii U's first price drop occur?

I know this isn't the most original topic, but it's not one we've had since the Wii U's sales tanked this year. For the sake of discussion, ignore past decisions Nintendo has made and only focus on what they can do moving forward.

Beat the shit out of marketing/Reggie, drop moneyhats.

Other than that there's nothing to do, as I have no doubt Nintendo is already making games for the Wii U.

More F-Zero games

ibltHlIAFtLH8y.gif

Thoraxes

Create a time machine and make the iPhone before apple does so I can go third party to make iOS games on my own terms.

Add account system.

Fire Reggie, promote someone who can display even a moderate grasp of what gamers want.

Don't bother talking with third parties. Buy a couple and put them to work.

Fire everyone responsible for anything even remotely related to the Wii U. Miiverse team and Gamepad designer is safe, providing they aren't also responsible for something else to do with the Wii U. No one else.

Put someone else in Shigeru's position (but still keep him around to consult) to get some fresh ideas into the mix, fire Reggie, do everything within my power to ensure Bravely Default's localization, and after all that, fire myself.

Azelover

Titanic was called the Ship of Dreams, and it was. It really was.
I would expand their development capability as quickly as possible. Also make collaborations with third parties, as much as possible.

I brush aside my center part in the mirror.

I devote all profits and partnership strategies to damaging Sony. I buy shares in Samsung and components manufacturers, I hoard patents.

I hire a crack team of hackers to launch black ops DDOS and other attacks against my critics, and retailers and publishers who betray me. Completely off the books. I target my best software launches against the AAA games my enemies invest most in.

I dine on tears and have yakuza and foreign crime syndicates steal shipments and riddle my enemies with bullets.

A detective at a crime scene finds a hanafuda card on a corpse. He turns it over.

"Please understand"

I brush aside my center part in the mirror.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Nintendo Land

It's Bullfrog's Theme Park but with Nintendo characters. Kind of like SimCity on the SNES.

Which is what Nintendo Land should have been in the first place.

big youth

I've posted this before in other threads, but I think Nintendo's best course of action is to continue expanding in order to make 3rd parties less necessary. They should gradually create more dev teams, and as quickly as possible become more active in publishing. Bayonetta 2, Wonderful 101, LEGO, Rayman, etc should be just the tip of the iceberg as far as publishing duties go. Continue to lend out IPs to 3rd parties in exchange for exclusive games, and be aggressive in pursuing more partnerships such as SMTxFE

I would expand their development capability as quickly as possible. Also make collaborations with third parties, as much as possible.
damn you beat me to it!

Reversed

I'd drop some bombs here and there.

I'd apply the long-term methodology they use to approach big Japanese companies to make relevant exclusives, but in the west (frankly, I think Sony did a good job on this). Retro would be starting the seminary.

Because it's badly needed.

Write big checks to publishers

Industry gets mad when they find out they weren't getting checks and others were for their Wii u games.

Whole plan crashes and burns.

I get fired.

I tried guys.

I'd attempt to change things but then realize that a ton of people in my company cockblock every single thing I do, and that very few people in the company are actually capable of meeting deadlines.

I'd then hire an assassin to kill everybody else and then sell all the IPs to MS and Sony. I'd then go spend the rest of my life in Hawaii.

EDIT: Serious response: I'd first buy all of Nintendo's stocks back and then hire somebody who actually knows how to run a game company 'cuz I'd be shitting myself if I thought I knew what to do.

I would get on top of NCL headquarters and scream, "FINALLY! I AM IWATA!".

Then I would tell Miyamoto to make me a sandwich. And that LttP remake. And a new F-Zero.

Bullza2o

Wait, you're finally Iwata? As in you?

Or as I'm finally Iwata?

Cause I've been waiting your whole life for this.

I guess everyone's life goal is to become Iwata.

I would announce Pokemon X Persona then I'm calling Masuda to start working on it.

Probably hire more employees for HD production and reprimand Reggie for not doing well in NA.

-COOLIO-

The Everyman
oh man, gaf is gunna hate my answer.

i think this is the last console gen and the wii U seems to me like it'll be unsuccessful in the long haul. i would complete all projects under way for the wii u to keep goodwill amongst purchasers, hopefully it'll have a respectable 4 year life span. and then i pivot hard to mobile gaming on cell phones and start to sell games on steam.

Meelow

Banned
Buy Sega, money hat Rockstar for an exclusive Wii U game, get a really good advertising team, pay for EA support, get exclusive or timed exclusive Call of Duty DLC, make Wii Sports U.

i think this is the last console gen and the wii U seems to me like it'll be unsuccessful in the long haul. i would complete all projects under way for the wii u to keep goodwill amongst purchasers, hopefully it'll have a respectable 4 year life span. and then i pivot hard to mobile gaming on cell phones and start to sell games on steam.

I hate this answer, but it's not going to happen even if it is the end of dedicated home consoles.

Nintendo portables aren't going anywhere, which is another reason it's fun to watch people wish they'd go third party. :)

guek

Banned
Buy ownership or significant stock of a major Japanese 3rd party
Capcom or SE are what I have mostly in mind

Restructure the company while maintaining key leadership positions. Allow them to autonomous entities that work solely for nintendo.

Create a major western based development studio

Carefully select a COO for the subsidiary, stock it with talent, and allow them to be relatively autonomous.

Open 3 new internal studios within their new building
One aimed solely at catering to the hardcore japanese market
One aimed solely at catering to the western market
One aimed solely at creating interesting eshop titles

Bribe the fuck out of western studios

Essentially start writing blank checks. Offer to publish, fund, and market ports with the stipulation that ports must be equivalent in features and content as well as releasing on the same day and being included in all marketing not exclusive to a singular platform. Be aggressive, spend spend spend and don't look back.

Immediately drop the price of the deluxe Wii U to $250 and get rid of the basic sku

Nintendoland would still be included. Throw in an extra wii-mote and a $10 eshop voucher. Give all early adopters a voucher for a free game of their choosing off the eshop and access to 10 free games on the Wii U VC when it finally launches.

Prioritize the Wii U VC so that it launches by the end of the summer
Launch while dropping prices about 30% below what they were on Wii's VC shop.

Take the company private for the next 5-10 years

Rather than succumbing to the whims of stock holders, circumvent them altogether and just go private with the intention of going public again some time in the next decade. This is a sink or swim plan anyways and it would work better if power were completely centralized.

Begin planning the Wii U's successor for holiday 2018 at a price point of $300 aiming to match Durango and Orbis

Essentially I'd want to spend a significant portion of their bankroll and risk destroying the company in an effort to bring them up to speed. Go big or go home.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
Look in the mirror and freak the fuck out

Edit: Sorry, I was drunk GAFing and posted this. Doesn't even make sense if you read the whole thread title.

Put GBA games on the 3DS eShop.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Jumble up the development teams with emphasis on new creative ventures over recycling IPs. EG: Have the Zelda team do shit other than Zelda, while cultivating ideas for the next Zelda further down the track. Build each major franchise game under the philosophy of it being a major event, as if it were the last.

Expand Retro and look into a strong presence in the Western development community. Design ideologies and philosophies more common in the US and Europe are unfortunately uncommon at Nintendo. Diversity is important. Look to the strength in each development community and how they can expand your portfolio.

Suck up the pride and hire someone else to design online framework, someone with a better understand of what modern expectations are. This archaic approach to digital distribution and online is embarrassing.

Stop using Nintendo Direct as a platform for explaining things to people who do not already own and use the systems. Using Nintendo Direct as a way to explain features and functions ad nauseum to enthusiasts is a waste of time. They know it all already, and the people that don't own Nintendo systems are not tuning in. Stick to the strengths of Nintendo Direct: immediate communication with dedicate fans.

Take greater economic risks. As the old saying goes, you have to spend money to make money. Nintendo's ideas and games are fine. But economic conservatism isn't a guaranty, and in business like this often a poor long term business plan.

Madao

fuck cell phones.

i'd invest the combined budget money of both the 3DS and Wii U sucessors into a handheld that has good graphical capabilities (3x-4x vita), good battery and good build quality and pull out of the console business.
once nintendo has just 1 console to focus on, they can support it on their own fine and not have droughts (imagine if all the 3DS games released lately were Wii U games instead).

Top Bottom