• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

You're finally Iwata. What changes do you make at Nintendo?

• Prepare next console to be ready by 2014.
  • Focus heavily on internet browsing - youtube videos, facebook, netflix... the works.
  • Get rid of optical drive
  • Go with a fanless x86 architecture
  • SSD (low volume, save on costs)
  • Integrate mic into this small, low power console
  • Keep touch screen, massively reduce size of controller and amount of buttons
  • Advertise keyboard typing on the touch screen as one of the main selling points
  • Forget completely about courting AAA developers. They aren't coming back, the best bet Nintendo has now is pulling another Wii and going the Apple route.

sfried

Half of the response will be about selling Nintendo and turning it 3rd party. Seriously, this question is like a magnet for trolling.

Thorakai

I funnel all the money into transforming all the Nintendo Ninjas into Nintendo Terminators and send them back in time to destroy the heads of Sony, Microsoft, Apple, and anyone else that becomes a threat to my empire.

big youth

a few ideas in this thread I disagree with:

buying Rare - should be self explanatory, but they are too valuable and not very talented

buying Banjo - collectathons such as this are a thing of the past, and the brand has little value, especially to a company with as many popular IPs as Nintendo. Better yet, If they wanted to make a game like Banjo they could use it as an opportunity to create a new IP.

moneyhatting 3rd party games - Not only would this be a money leak with no end in sight, it would create more competition on the console and result in fewer sales of games developed or published by Nintendo. They'd essentially be losing money on both ends.

Half of the response will be about selling Nintendo and turning it 3rd party. Seriously, this question is like a magnet for trolling.
The sad thing is only half of them seem to be trolling. Oh well, they are easy enough to ignore.

Sorry I haven't read this thread but I truly feel nintendo should seek a third party existence. Just imagine how many more great games they can produce for japan and begrudgingly not send or maybe send stateside.

Either that or card games. Cards against humanity is showing some growth in the market. Hop on that train and blue oceans away.

• Prepare next console to be ready by 2014.
  • Focus heavily on internet browsing - youtube videos, facebook, netflix... the works.
  • Get rid of optical drive
  • Go with a fanless x86 architecture
  • SSD (low volume, save on costs)
  • Integrate mic into this small, low power console
  • Keep touch screen, massively reduce size of controller and amount of buttons
  • Advertise keyboard typing on the touch screen as one of the main selling points
  • Forget completely about courting AAA developers. They aren't coming back, the best bet Nintendo has now is pulling another Wii and going the Apple route.

Please, god, NO! Don't do this!

duckroll

I would fire everyone except people who agree with me that Zelda is the best franchise in the company. Then I would devote the company to making nothing but Zelda games forever. There will be a "big" console Zelda game every year, and every 4 months there will be a smaller Zelda game either as a downloadable title or a portable entry. I will rename the company The Legend of Zelda Company. I will also renovate the office building to resemble a dungeon, so employees have to navigate their way to their desks every morning. On some days there will be random events where you have to find the right switch or items in order to progress successfully to your desk. It will be the best company of all time.

JordanN

Banned
-Issue a global apology for the many years of Nintendo holding antagonizing policies.
-Rebrand the company. Destroy everything that tarnished the Nintendo name.
-Announce plans to phase out Wii U. Introduce a third pillar console chalk full of processing power.
-Go to every major third party publisher, apologize, build up contracts to ensure third party support is equal or greater to competitors.
-Hire engineers to bring Nintendo's online experience into the 21st century.
-Keep apologizing to customers. Make them know Nintendo is finally a game company again.
-Put marketing of new console into full gear.

I would fire everyone except people who agree with me that Zelda is the best franchise in the company. Then I would devote the company to making nothing but Zelda games forever. There will be a "big" console Zelda game every year, and every 4 months there will be a smaller Zelda game either as a downloadable title or a portable entry. I will rename the company The Legend of Zelda Company. I will also renovate the office building to resemble a dungeon, so employees have to navigate their way to their desks every morning. On some days there will be random events where you have to find the right switch or items in order to progress successfully to your desk. It will be the best company of all time.

Please understand.

sfried

Sorry I haven't read this thread but I truly feel nintendo should seek a third party existence. Just imagine how many more great games they can produce for japan and begrudgingly not send or maybe send stateside.

If anything, they would feel less compelled to release anything as third party. With their own console, they have something at stake, plus capitalizing with thei own console features.

-Issue a global apology for the many years of Nintendo harassing everyone.
-Announce plans to phase out Wii U. Introduce a third pillar console chalk full of processing power.
-Go to every major third party publisher, apologize, build up contracts to ensure third party support is equal or greater to competitors.
-Keep apologizing to customers. Make them know Nintendo is finally a game company again.
This. this is exactly how I'd imagine a full Nintendo restructuring. But that also means changing the companies core philosophies...

t0va

ITT People that know nothing about the industry say stupid stuff.

The only thing I would do is give the 3ds/wiiu an account system and give the wii u pad a better battery. Maybe make more games for the wii u that the core wants like F-Zero

I'd like to think the majority of us know we have, at best, almost no understanding of how the industry works, so I don't really think this needs to be said.

Edit: Reworded

MisterHero

Will there be platformers where Link is stuck with Roc's Feather throughout the game or are platformers out in general?

Otherwise this idea sounds legit!

Instro

What happens to the people who don't agree with you about the best entry in the series?

Call up Studio Ghibli and work out a deal to have them make a Legend of Zelda animated feature film.

You're welcome ;)
:O A better idea has never been had.

I would completely change the marketing. Commercials should be Apple style where each one focuses on one or two key features of the Wii U and actually has time to explain them well. Flashing all the features by in a 30 second commercial isn't conveying anything.

Buy one or two more western studios and cultivate them like Retro. Have them make original IPs.

Have a unified account system between the 3DS and Wii U.

Release every old game they have the rights to on VC immediately. Don't charge more than $10 for GC, $7 for N64, and $5 for SNES and NES. Every week highlight one or two and put it on sale for a dollar or two off. Buying a game gives you the ability to play it on the Wii U and 3DS. Then actually market this.

t0va

-Issue a global apology for the many years of Nintendo harassing everyone.

I agree with this, well done. They need to take responsibility, publicly.

duckroll

Will there be platformers where Link is stuck with Roc's Feather throughout the game or are platformers out in general?

Otherwise this idea sounds legit!

As Iwata, I will have nothing against different genres. After all, if the entire company is making nothing but Zelda games, we will need diversity. The important point is that every single game from the company must be true to the spirit of the Zelda franchise. Designs must be familiar to fans, and iconic things like Link's green tunic, heart containers, the master sword, etc must always be present in some form - even if it's an icon in a menu.

There can be platformers of course, party games, maybe even a Bomberman clone with 8 players using Zelda bomb mechanics and Links of different colors for the various players. There can be many unique games and even the yearly console Zeldas don't have to be the same old thing. The only rule is that they all have to be Zelda.

What happens to the people who don't agree with you about the best entry in the series?

There will be a special room under the dungeon floor of the office building for people like that. There they will be attended to by assistants dressed as Tingle, and "convinced" to play Link's Awakening over and over until they too see the light. It shouldn't take long. Their realization of the truth will only make them better employees capable of making better Zelda games.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
How is Reggie single-handedly 'screwing up' NOA again? I'm sure someone can lay it all out for me.

Atomski

Oh man people would hate if I was Iwata.. Id drop the console and go full PC support, make some deals with Valve. Make my games exlusive to PC/Steambox. Release a an attachment to make the Wii U controller work on PC.

Let them have Nintendo fanchise hats in TF2 and characters and items in Dota 2 :p

Then Id throw some moneys at Oculus and make a crazy VR Mario, Metroid and F-Zero ...

Yep Nintendo fans would be out for blood.

Oh man people would hate if I was Iwata.. Id drop the console and go full PC support, make some deals with Valve. Make my games exlusive to PC/Steambox. Release a an attachment to make the Wii U controller work on PC.

Let they have Nintendo fanchise hats in TF2 and characters and items in Dota 2 :p

Then Id throw some moneys at Oculus and make a crazy VR Mario, Metroid and F-Zero ...

Yep Nintendo fans would be out for blood.

All 5 of them?

I agree with this, well done. They need to take responsibility, publicly.

Three pages, and this thread has jumped the shark.

I don't think that anyone's going to say that Nintendo has been blameless during their years as a video gaming company, far from it. But honestly. A global apology tour? "Nintendo's finally game company again"?

This is revisionist history tier stuff.

.JayZii

Banned
I would divert a lot of resources into a Pokemon MMO. Then release everything Earthbound related worldwide. Then convert at least one room at headquarters into some sort of shrine to keep the malevolent ghost of Hiroshi Yamauchi at bay.

Yearly bonuses are decided by your skill with a bow on horseback. Vacation days are unlocked by block based puzzles.

duckroll

Oh yeah, one more thing I forgot to mention. I will rename Monolithsoft to Zelda Robotics Software Inc. They will be assigned the special task of investigating how to perfectly fuse the Zelda franchise with Giant Robots in a way which is fun and engaging for a global RPG audience. This will be the most important role in the entire company.

Oh yeah, one more thing I forgot to mention. I will rename Monolithsoft to Zelda Robotics Software Inc. They will be assigned the special task of investigating how to perfectly fuse the Zelda franchise with Giant Robots in a way which is fun and engaging for a global RPG audience. This will be the most important role in the entire company.

Please finally become Iwata.

Madao

As Iwata, I will have nothing against different genres. After all, if the entire company is making nothing but Zelda games, we will need diversity. The important point is that every single game from the company must be true to the spirit of the Zelda franchise. Designs must be familiar to fans, and iconic things like Link's green tunic, heart containers, the master sword, etc must always be present in some form - even if it's an icon in a menu.

There can be platformers of course, party games, maybe even a Bomberman clone with 8 players using Zelda bomb mechanics and Links of different colors for the various players. There can be many unique games and even the yearly console Zeldas don't have to be the same old thing. The only rule is that they all have to be Zelda.

There will be a special room under the dungeon floor of the office building for people like that. There they will be attended to by assistants dressed as Tingle, and "convinced" to play Link's Awakening over and over until they too see the light. It shouldn't take long. Their realization of the truth will only make them better employees capable of making better Zelda games.

the ironic thing is that a Zelda-themed F-Zero would sell more than what the series sells usually.

turn based or real time?

I would choose to design a new console that we must sell at a loss that won't be able to recover its investment because third parties will continue to ignore it.

100 million advertising campaign for fire emblem and animal crossing.

Force our developers to ship a game every 20 months.

Shrennin

Didn't get the memo regarding the 14th Amendment
Increase first party output exponentially - unfortunately, the Wii U hardware is done so you can't change that and it may be too costly to cut the losses from an outdated hardware starting in this new generation so software is something that needs to be pushed.

Also, if possible, talk and work with and convince developers to develop games for the Wii U. This may mean trying to get exclusive, quality games from third party developers that will take advantage of the Wii U system. Maybe even help develop engines that could cover some costs of developing for the Wii U in lieu of other systems.

Lastly, focus on network stability and integration. This is going to probably be something that will have to be fully realized with the next generation but it's not too late to start now.

It goes without saying, but start developing strategies for the next generation after this one. Make hardware that will attract third party developers - after all, that can't be bad for Nintendo's first parties. If anything, it may be better because the technology will be up to par.

big youth

I would completely change the marketing. Commercials should be Apple style where each one focuses on one or two key features of the Wii U and actually has time to explain them well. Flashing all the features by in a 30 second commercial isn't conveying anything.

Buy one or two more western studios and cultivate them like Retro. Have them make original IPs.

Interesting. I agree they should mimic Apples marketing (of the iPad, to be specific), AND quickly show 6-7 features of the Gamepad. First show that it's a universal remote, as someone turns on the TV with it, then have someone grab it and be playing checkers, someone else grabs it and is drawing Link or Mario, and so forth, showing features like Netflix, asymmetrical gameplay, Miiverse, Google Street View, etc. Instead of dubstep use a classic Mario song that half the population has nostalgia for. There's no games to advertise for many weeks now, so make the gamepad seem as cool as possible, as if the possibilities are endless.

I agree Nintendo needs more NA based studios, but their concern is lack of company loyalty. In NA employees shift around constantly in an effort to better their position, so talent leaks and there's little stability.

I would choose to design a new console that we must sell at a loss that won't be able to recover its investment because third parties will continue to ignore it.

100 million advertising campaign for fire emblem and animal crossing.

Force our developers to ship a game every 20 months.

uh...that sounds like a bad idea....

People say 'fix relationships with Western 3rd parties" like it's that simple.

If I were there, in the short term, I'd:
*Make a rule that Mario was not allowed to feature in more than 15% of published releases every year.
*Aim for a total of 6,000 employees WW by April 2016.
*Slowly increase Monolith Soft to four and Retro to three teams, across handhelds and home consoles.
*Rebuild NST, but have them do something new.
*Make Tokyo EAD 3 teams.
*Improve localisation of 1st party titles so that all territories receive a game within 3 months of initial release.
*Solidify smaller partners (NGL, Vanpool, Good Feel, etc) by buying stock/encouraging to grow staff. Find more partners like that and foster their growth.
*Secure Persona 5 for Wii U. Aim for exclusivity, accept nothing less than day-and-date with extra content.
*Encourage a Game Freak-style of development where 3 people can come together and work on a game. Use it to create new IPs and characters to gauge interest in full retail releases, or to revive older, smaller IPs (Balloon Fight, Ice-Climbers etc).
*Reduce number of Mini-Directs and have main Directs every 2 months that cover both systems at once. Keep them quirky, relevant, and to the point. Always have a trailer, demo, or *something* for people to download afterwards. Make a ND community on Miiverse.

rpmurphy

Blow the treasure chest on building a real life Nintendo theme park. Shamefully resign after driving company into the ground creating said theme park.

May as well add another thing I'd do:

11. Revive more dead projects Bayonetta 2 style, first being Cry On by MarvelousAQL and Mistwalker for Wii U. Maybe also getting Level 5 to revive Ushiro on 3DS.

12. How about getting ads in at least NA to go back to their utter charm of the N64 era? Smash 64 anyone? :)

13. And just some of the other games I had in mind; Pokemon Stadium 3 on Wii U, Sonic Adventure 3 on Wii U in addition to the EAD Tokyo game, the "New Rare"'s DK game will be essentially DK64 2 called Donkey Kong Continent, of course they'll also make Diddy Kong Racing 2 (if possible I'd get Kirkhope as DK and bring back Kevin Bayless for Diddy and whoever else he did, Seavor was Bumper and of course Conker, bringing back as many voices as possible), also I'd have the team reboot Dinosaur Planet as it was intended. Viva Pinata 3D if I buy that which will be an Ultimate Edition of both games in one, a Wii U version can now happen as well.

14. Oh and of course more new IPs from all devs and not just regulated to small eShop games no, BIG retail new IPs.

PsionBolt

It's fun to dream. I would make aggressive efforts to acquire large or interesting franchises, and use them to broaden our first-party output, since everyone who bought a Nintendo console did so for first-party games anyway.

Potential candidates are Mega Man, Bomberman, Sonic, Castlevania, Shin Megami Tensei and Persona, Kingdom Hearts, Dragon Quest, Idolmaster, Monster Hunter, Phantasy Star.

Obviously simply buying franchises isn't realistic, so I'd start by attempting to work closely with these companies on co-developed games, like they did with Sonic vs. Mario Olympics (only make a better game) and the upcoming SMT x Fire Emblem.
Crossovers are one way to do that: Metroid x Phantasy Star would probably work, or Zelda x Dragon Quest.
I'd also look into 'trading development' - like, let Sega make a new F-Zero, and in ecxchange we get to make a Sonic game, or let Capcom make another Zelda and in exchange we get to make a Mega Man game. (Things like this aren't totally unheard of - Capcom vs. SNK made by SNK and SNK vs. Capcom made by Capcom, for example.)

People say 'fix relationships with Western 3rd parties" like it's that simple.

If I were there, in the short term, I'd:
*Make a rule that Mario was not allowed to feature in more than 15% of published releases every year.
*Aim for a total of 6,000 employees WW by April 2016.
*Slowly increase Monolith Soft to four and Retro to three teams, across handhelds and home consoles.
*Rebuild NST, but have them do something new.
*Make Tokyo EAD 3 teams.
*Improve localisation of 1st party titles so that all territories receive a game within 3 months of initial release.
*Solidify smaller partners (NGL, Vanpool, Good Feel, etc) by buying stock/encouraging to grow staff. Find more partners like that and foster their growth.
*Secure Persona 5 for Wii U. Aim for exclusivity, accept nothing less than day-and-date with extra content.
*Encourage a Game Freak-style of development where 3 people can come together and work on a game. Use it to create new IPs and characters to gauge interest in full retail releases, or to revive older, smaller IPs (Balloon Fight, Ice-Climbers etc).
*Reduce number of Mini-Directs and have main Directs every 2 months that cover both systems at once. Keep them quirky, relevant, and to the point. Always have a trailer, demo, or *something* for people to download afterwards. Make a ND community on Miiverse.

I really like most of this, but the only real problem with Mario games is that people on message boards like to whine about Mario games.

With the exception of the NSMBU/NSMB2 debacle last year, Mario is fine.

Persona 5 WiiU. Oh man. That would be a glorious day. A bundle would move units in Japan like woah.

Go deeper into the Miiverse and Mii, expand it, integrate it to facebook and have multiple franchises on them.

Basically paste Miis on all party games, Mario Karts, and Even Zelda in some way.

I would create a Nintendo Phone pilot test in japan. Try 3 sale models. One, it's traditional cart games (eshop option) with full games raning from 20 to 30. Other with low price entry, and lots of IAP, and F2P with IAP, without sacrificing Gameplay, and somehow make the IAP not necessary, meaning you can unlock them in game, except some cosmetic things.

If the test goes well, I partner with AT&T, Verizon or something to launch in America, and go all out worldwide.

Pokèmon F2P with IAP would be nuts.

Shelf the Wii U, like the Virtual Boy it never existed. instead, go with the "portable" family. Make a high tech Tablet with plenty of capability, and have it connect to a dumb terminal so I can play on TV- Would be compatible with Nintendo Phone.

Finally make a Ultra Nintendo to capture the hardcore.Take notes from Msoft and Sony and make the online worth a damn. Price of games can go up to 60 since people will cough up that money anyway. Machine would be only 10% weaker than HD Twins making porting a breeze job, and get lots of third parties in from day one including EA.

Make the entire ecosystem compatible with each other with Cross Play. Apps you buy on phone work on Ultra.

Sell the Mariners, they are shit.

big youth

How is Reggie single-handedly 'screwing up' NOA again? I'm sure someone can lay it all out for me.

No one employee deserves all the blame, but if you get me started on the stupidity of NoA over the past few years I'd have a hard time stopping. To give one example, the fact that NA still doesn't have black or white 3DS XLs available is a decision so stupid it goes beyond bad management. No matter how obvious the decision may be, NoA tends to get it wrong.

Perhaps Nintendo should have used all that Wii money to make NoA more than just a glorified marketing tool. It's rare for a company as big as Nintendo to still be so consolidated in their home region.

Top Bottom