• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

You're finally Iwata. What changes do you make at Nintendo?

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
Shit doesn't get released over here....unless people beg for it.

It has to fall on someone.

It probably isn't Reggie but people want blood.
If it's from the perspective of something like Xenoblade.....would that have even sold enough copies to pay for itself if they did a wider release than they did?

No one employee deserves all the blame, but if you get me started on the stupidity of NoA over the past few years I'd have a hard time stopping. To give one example, the fact that NA still doesn't have black or white 3DS XLs available is a decision so stupid it goes beyond bad management. No matter how obvious the decision may be, NoA tends to get it wrong.

Perhaps Nintendo should have used all that Wii money to make NoA more than just a glorified marketing tool. It's rare for a company as big as Nintendo to still be so consolidated in their home region.
I agree that Nintendo's different non-Japan branches are far too incompetent, but pointing to the color choice of systems seems like a weird point to base that on. For instance, PAL regions had a six month wait for Brawl, which was downright embarrassing and pathetic.

Kimawolf

If I'm Iwata the first thing i do is set up a localization studio for North America and Europe and localize everything, to help fill in the gaps.

I will then lower the price on the premium to 249 and pack in a mature game like COD BLOPS II or Tomb Raider or something, and give everyone currently who has it a free eshop game of their choice.

I then go and get the people left over from studios like Lucas Arts and Bizzare Creations and make 3 new studios to focus on "mature western games".

After that I'd then fire my advertising agency and get a new one, and push some heavy money behind it to help build brand awareness.

As for 3rd parties, I'd this ONE time publish and pay for a port of the huge games, just to have them while building up and promoting NEW younger 3rd party studios. and maybe purchase a major 3rd party for the people and the IPs.

And finally I go to all these PC developers and offer them the tools for free and a very good incentive to bring their PC exclusive games to my platform, and begin calling my platform a place for the unique gamer.

Another, because LOTS of people are reading my lists.... anyone? :(

15. Get Insomniac after they're done with EA to make a brand-new platforming IP for Wii U that's owned by Nintendo, make it the same caliber as A Crack In Time. Also try to get Activision to license out Crash and Spyro to also let Insomniac make brand new entries in whatever they deem worthy, so long as it's the proper team and not the secondary All 4 One team... Alternatively, round up as many former Naughty Dog, Insomniac, and Sucker Punch devs together for the same purpose.

big youth

If it's from the perspective of something like Xenoblade.....would that have even sold enough copies to pay for itself if they did a wider release than they did?

They could have released it in NA almost 2 years sooner, in 2010 while the Wii was still hot, giving them the choice to advertise the game and better establish the game and brand, which would probably result in decent sales and pay off later when X releases.

I agree with some recent posts saying they should fund more games. Timesplitters came to mind first. Games with Western appeal should be the priority.

This goes back to the localization problem, but I think Nintendo is too focused on short term profit, and not enough on the big picture. For example the 3DS is now at a point where Nintendo can print money on it with their releases, but in the long run it might be smarter to shift about 70% of all developers to Wii U to assure it will be a success as well.

Madao

well, if they released it in a more timely manner, they could have had better sales.
instead, they waited until the Wii was completely dead to bring it to USA.

I would buy Banjo-Kazooie, Conker, Bomberman, Bayonetta, Diddy Kong Racing chars, and Super Mario RPG chars.

I would buy Platinum Games and demand Kamiya to make Starfox at gunpoint. Bayonetta 3DS too.

I would make Grant Kirkhope his ex Rare studio to work on Banjo Threeie, Diddy Kong Racing 2, and Conker's Other Bad Day.

I would expand Retro Studios and put them on DKCR2 and make new IP.

I would make Nd Cube make Bomberman 3DS and U with online.

Super Mario RPG and DK64 remakes on 3DS.

Have Sega make a new F-Zero.

Earthbound / Mother 3 on VC.

Unified account system.

Pay Mojang for Minecraft Nintendo Edition

Shikamaru Ninja

任天堂 の 忍者
Nintendo needs to globalize their management, production teams, and development teams. The mantra and philosphy of Nintendo can be carried on by EAD Seattle and EAD London. All the developers should have the autonomy and creative power to create games without a single Japanese relic impeding the process. This is how Nintendo produced Donkey Kong Country and Perfect Dark.

The main problem right now is that instead of a world wide collective of talented and experience Nintendo personnel creating products, all the ideas are disseminating from a group of 60 year old men in Kyoto. Maybe 7-10 years ago, they were still in touch with the market. After all they did catch lightning in a bottle with Wii and DS. But these men are now in their 60s, have any of them even played a game in 10 years? What happens if stubborn Nintendo bets their entire next-generation on a bunch of now 70 year old Japanese men who haven't played a video game since Radarscope.

One of the main faults Nintendo has as a company, is that they often don't seem to understand some of the desires of the gaming community. Miyamoto's philosphies and ideas in general are TERRIBLE. Online play? Trophies? Leaderboards? Orchestrated music? Things that are standardized by the world best developers were absent (or still are) from EAD and other internal developers because they just don't seem important to Miyamoto. Why should they? Has Miyamoto ever played a competitive game online? Has Miyamoto ever decided to earn all the trophies in one of his favorite games? Has Miyamoto ever played a high production game with an interesting story and emotional soundtrack? Has Miyamoto completed a video game in the last 20 years? I think you know the answer to all of them.

Yet, this man has all the approval and veto power within Nintendo development. You can keep begging him for trophies and voice acting, but he is more concerned in adding a blow function to Donkey Kong Country Returns and a gyroscope feature to Zelda Ocarina. You know horrible ideas that aren't practical to people who actually have to play the games. Miyamoto's idea of gaming innovation might one day be to add a whoopee cushion to the controller because it's wacky.

Give development power to the new generation of developers. Give production power to the new generation of producers. Make hardware decisions based on everyone's collective input. Let's see what happens.

PS. What's up with the lame cliche answer of "buy platinum and expand retro". Is there any thought to those inconsequential decisions. It would change nothing.

big youth

I agree that Nintendo's different non-Japan branches are far too incompetent, but pointing to the color choice of systems seems like a weird point to base that on. For instance, PAL regions had a six month wait for Brawl, which was downright embarrassing and pathetic.

There are countless examples, but the lack of basic XL colors came to mind first because the 3DS is over 2 years old now. No other company would avoid the 2 most popular colors for electronics this long.

Grinchy

Banned
Nintendo releases shovelware?

yepeju9e.gif

Jamix012

Invest in one or two Western Developers

Buy out two medium sized western developers and put them under a brand that isn't Nintendo. As in create another branch of Nintendo that has a different name, the brand doesn't help for the dude bro crowd. Have them make realistic sports games/shooters/racers while being overlooked loosely by Nintendo. Market the balls out of them. They hit gold with Goldeneye 64, they can do it again. But to do it they'll first need to

Improve the online situation

Your online infrastructure needs to at least rival Sony's. It might not ever be as good because Nintendo likes to keep kids safe and as a result there's quite a bit of censorship but make it easy to use and generally accessible. The main thing to address here is to get a unified account system.

Talk to Japanese Devs

Western devs probably won't listend but there are a good deal of Japanese devs that will listen to what Nintendo has to say if you offer them good marketing deals. Try and get traditional Sony exclusives to go multiplatform or even exclusive. Disgaea and Persona would be a good place to start.

Encourage App Development

This will need to go policed but both the Wii U and 3DS could benefit by being able to run even a small fraction of the Apps iOS has. Things like Skype and Facebook should be there day one. You could even work to mend things with Amazon if you allowed an Amazon bookstore app or something of the sort. Allowing people to read books and comics on the 3DS would be a big step in getting it to the mainstream and would make people think more positively of what the Wii U can do.

Expand genre selection

I don't care if it involves "milking" out your current franchises, get more quality titles from different genres that would really suit the Wii U. A Zelda RTS in the style of the Total War series would be an example of something they could do. A Co-OP capable Wii U Pokemon RPG at least partially satisfy those asking for an MMO without actually having to make an MMO.

Get a more "Sega" marketing team

"Nintendoes what Playstation don't." Don't be so passive with your marketing, you're competing with them and don't be afraid to bare your fangs a bit. Sure some people might think it's stupid but it'll go a long way to show people you're a competitor and aren't going to lay down and die. It's not a kid-unfriendly way of marketing and you're sure to get some people interested.

Other Smaller Things

Limited edition consoles shouldn't be SO limited, make at least twice as many Pikachu 3DS': they sell. DS player for the Wii U, should be easy and the sprite games will at least look alright, if anything it could help spurr sales a little. Speaking of handhelds: make them interact more. You have a 3DS with 30 Million install base and if it can do really cool things when linked up to the WiiU you give people another reaons to buy your console. Price cut, but only when you have your games coming out, but a little before your competitors launch. More sales on games digitally and also quicker price drops, things like "nintendo selects" will help.

Azure J

- Found 4 new Nintendo EADs (EAD London, EAD Quebec, EAD New York, and wild card) with Retro Studios as the "mothership"for these new Western based groups. With Retro's supervision, have them develop new Western specific ideas and games while maintaining true dialogue with the upper management on the desires of consumers in said regions and market research proving this. Compile the best ideas and get the best idea guys from both sides of the pond working on Nintendo Next from now until the end of Wii U's tenure.

- Establish a purchase tied to account system immediately to drop simultaneously with Miiverse PC-iOS-Android/3DS editions

- Court indies that provide either specialty games that use Wii U in a great way or have an optimized work flow and offer them positions at the EADs mentioned above, offering them initiatives to join and develop things even once under the banner of Nintendo. If they enjoy their experience or shine under the new tutelage, keep them. If they choose to leave, make sure they stay on friendly terms so you can call them up for a favor in the future.

- Work on inhouse ports of Unreal 4, CryEngine3, Frostbite 3, Phanta Rei/a better MT Framework and offer them to whoever needs them to keep ports flowing post 360/PS3 EoL.

- Either give Reggie freedom to oversee the new west initiative or find someone who will be the "community spokesperson" a la Cerny for Nintendo. On this same note, actually open up a communication avenue be it via a figurehead or Miiverse for more direct customer/gamer input and context.

- Re-evaluate everything regarding their localization and region-locking policies. We're starved for content already on Wii U, we don't need extraneous politics keeping people from games.

- Aggressively court for top tier (not god tier) exclusives that either fit with the ideas of Wii U or don't need more than Wii U to shine. Persona 5, The World Ends With You Too, franchises that have been dormant (Megaman, SEGA backlog), etc. (Sorry for the primarily Japanese examples here, but you get the point)

-- (Not necessary but could be fun) Purchase SEGA and use their branding for a Nintendo "free rules" imprint in a manner similar to Disney and Miramax. Utilize their backlog of IPs sensibly.

- Tell everyone in development that the panic button of Mario/Zelda doesn't exist for one year and have them develop titles from their gameplay first mold with new settings/presentation outside of this safety net. "B" franchises such as StarFox, F-Zero, etc. get a new entry on the interim between releases of these new experiments to recoup costs and keep developer's minds working outside of the norm.

kinggroin

Banned
Court promising talent and create a few new teams. Expand into western style development or collaborate with western devson original IPs.

Rotate lower budget game projects amongst my teams, in order to keep things fresh.

Unify shops. Allow web access for remote installs. Hire a successful UI designer (Mathias Duarte or someone) to redesign the eshop. Detach accounts from the systems.

Combine Miiverse with Friends List and make them system applications rather than web pages.

Kill the Wii and offer a trade-up program.

Begin a new marketing blitz that has a common gimmick of playing off the U in Wii U (ex. Mario's Kart does a Half donut that leaves a U tire mark on the pavement).

Remove the 3D and second screen from the next handheld. Keep same horsepower, increase ACTUAL display resolution to 800x460. Cut price by $75 and call it the Gameboy 2.

Sneds

-Issue a global apology for the many years of Nintendo harassing everyone.
-Rebrand the company. Destroy everything that tarnished the Nintendo name.
-Announce plans to phase out Wii U. Introduce a third pillar console chalk full of processing power.
-Go to every major third party publisher, apologize, build up contracts to ensure third party support is equal or greater to competitors.
-Hire engineers to bring Nintendo's online experience into the 21st century.
-Keep apologizing to customers. Make them know Nintendo is finally a game company again.
-Put marketing of new console into full gear.

Harassing?

AGITΩ

-Fire Marketing team, hire good ones.

-Fire(or demote) Reggie, bring someone with Howard Lincoln appeal.

-Go to third Parties and offer to fund certain projects, for either exclusivity or special content.

-Build a new team, solely dedicated to bringing in ports.

-Change the image of the Wii U, they can't really change the name, but they can tweek the image, the marketing and refocus the appeal of it.

-Bring the Darker/Black Boxes for T-M rated games to everywhere outside Japan. The darker shades really show the audience.

-Actually spend the 2 cents extra to have reversible covers on our 3DS games.

One thing I would make sure day 1 is that the next Zelda game does not use motion controls and the next handheld version does not use to Touch controls

Instant 10+ million seller

Makai

License out Star Fox and F-Zero to willing developers, giving them complete creative control. Third-party partnerships for Metroid and Zelda. Mario all in-house. Transition Kirby, Pokemon, Advance Wars, Fire Emblem to iPad market. Shigeru Miyamoto only allowed to work on new IPs or forced into retirement.

Iacobellis

If I'm Iwata the first thing i do is set up a localization studio for North America and Europe and localize everything, to help fill in the gaps.

I will then lower the price on the premium to 249 and pack in a mature game like COD BLOPS II or Tomb Raider or something, and give everyone currently who has it a free eshop game of their choice.

I then go and get the people left over from studios like Lucas Arts and Bizzare Creations and make 3 new studios to focus on "mature western games".

After that I'd then fire my advertising agency and get a new one, and push some heavy money behind it to help build brand awareness.

As for 3rd parties, I'd this ONE time publish and pay for a port of the huge games, just to have them while building up and promoting NEW younger 3rd party studios. and maybe purchase a major 3rd party for the people and the IPs.

And finally I go to all these PC developers and offer them the tools for free and a very good incentive to bring their PC exclusive games to my platform, and begin calling my platform a place for the unique gamer.

You can't pack in a game that doesn't exist.

steveovig

I would probably do whatever I had to do to localize all three Mother games. Whether that means editing, so be it. Then, I would pack in Earthbound along with Nintendo Land in the Deluxe bundle, the only bundle actually. Finally, I would make sure Mother 4 was coming worldwide. The localization part of the original three obviously applies to the US.

I would start a huge marketing campaign that shoved the U down everyone's throats. This would all be by the time more games were out and when we would cut the price.

I would expand upon the VC considerably. Who doesn't want to play F-Zero online with their buddies? Who doesn't want to compete on leaderboards with their friends in games of Gradius III? I would add online features to any game that could use them, along with Miiverse stuff and achievements. On top of that, I would heavily expand on the Miiverse and add achievements to the console along with the ability to see your friend's Daily Logs. Anything that we can do to the social aspect to improve it, we would.

We would need to create a new IP involving a shooter that appeals to Westerners and core gamers. Something darker with a good story and co-op/competitive multiplayer. Think of it as Nintendo's Halo.

We would publish more games on our own and not rely so heavily on getting multiplatform games. Also, I would concentrate on getting older games onto the e-shop that have never been played before on Nintendo consoles. Games like Final Fantasy VII, Ninja Gaiden, among others. Cheap, great games that Nintendo fans can now enjoy with some extras thrown in.

Open world Zelda re-boot with co-op.

Fire Reggie

Fire Reggie

Fire Reggie

Concentrate on giving core gamers what they want, shooters and RPGs but without neglecting the charm of Nintendo classics. We would give the consumer anything and everything. You CAN play good core games alongside Nintendo classic franchises.

- Found 4 new Nintendo EADs (EAD London, EAD Quebec, EAD New York, and wild card) with Retro Studios as the "mothership"for these new Western based groups. With Retro's supervision, have them develop new Western specific ideas and games while maintaining true dialogue with the upper management on the desires of consumers in said regions and market research proving this. Compile the best ideas and get the best idea guys from both sides of the pond working on Nintendo Next from now until the end of Wii U's tenure.

This would be awesome!

EMT0

Banned
I will literally and metaphorically surgically attach a pair of balls to NOA, and by NOA, I mean Reggie. Whether he likes it or not, and if he doesn't, someone else is getting a pair sewn on.

Not

Banned
3ds lite with ten hour battery that can play 3rd party ios apps as well as eshop games. Fast track Pokemon, new IPs, hire people who care about technical aesthetics over gameplay. You have enough of vice versa, why can't it be the best of both worlds, Satty?

big youth

great post Shikamaru Ninja, but you're quite harsh on Miyamoto, drawing conclusions based on all the negatives (which are true) but ignoring the positives. He's behind the times in many ways, but still has a fantastic handle on gameplay.

AniHawk

I would fire everyone except people who agree with me that Zelda is the best franchise in the company. Then I would devote the company to making nothing but Zelda games forever. There will be a "big" console Zelda game every year, and every 4 months there will be a smaller Zelda game either as a downloadable title or a portable entry. I will rename the company The Legend of Zelda Company. I will also renovate the office building to resemble a dungeon, so employees have to navigate their way to their desks every morning. On some days there will be random events where you have to find the right switch or items in order to progress successfully to your desk. It will be the best company of all time.

and as the final boss you will never actually die

big youth

Remove the 3D and second screen from the next handheld. Keep same horsepower, increase ACTUAL display resolution to 800x460.

I've been saying this for a while. I really hope 3DS is the end of the DS line. It's functional, we've all gotten used to it, but it's still a poor design choice. I'm fine with the next handheld retaining 3D as long as it doesn't result in poor resolution like with 3DS.

Not

Banned
I would fire everyone except people who agree with me that Zelda is the best franchise in the company. Then I would devote the company to making nothing but Zelda games forever. There will be a "big" console Zelda game every year, and every 4 months there will be a smaller Zelda game either as a downloadable title or a portable entry. I will rename the company The Legend of Zelda Company. I will also renovate the office building to resemble a dungeon, so employees have to navigate their way to their desks every morning. On some days there will be random events where you have to find the right switch or items in order to progress successfully to your desk. It will be the best company of all time.

Well, this is the greatest thing I've ever read. Thanks duckroll, I can call it a night

Pull a DS (where GBA got the boot) where the successor to the WiiU will come out in only a few years.

Expand Gamefreak so that a mainline Pokemon title can go on this new HD console, and invest heavily on sure to sell IPs like Super Mario Bros, but make sure creatively it's not the same shit.

Take profit from that and make more studios and create a bigger network than any 1st party developers. We all know that Nintendo isn't getting third party support so Nintendo better pump tons of exclusive on their own.

No more region exclusive games either. Look at Super Smash which was suppose to be a japan exclusive. It'll only cost the company so much to localize and it's easy to take a hit if a niche game fails.

All new IPs and super new ideas can only come after we pump out enough titles consistently.

JavyOO7

Hmm.

Let NOA and NOE have their own development teams under their watch, to make games for their regions audience. Grow their first party output...

DS/3DS/future handheld titles are <=$29.99. WiiU/future console titles are <=$49.99.

Market the digital shops plenty. Always have sales every week. Have internal studios dedicating to just making eShop games.

Do your best to digitize DS era titles, whether first or third party. Give out incentives to those who are gun shy in wanting to digitize their titles.

On that note, finish the collections for NES/SNES/N64 and the rest of the consoles that are in virtual console shops. Fix any licensing issues with the games that fans have been wanting on the VC for quite a while now. Earthbound comes to mind with all its licensing issues. So does the WWE/WCW games from back in the day. And though it has no licensing issues that I'm aware of, Nintendo could freaking release Pokemon titles for the GB/GBC if the truly wanted to. =/

Its all the little things, really...

jooey

The Motorcycle That Wouldn't Slow Down
After thousands upon thousands of dollars in hormone treatments and expensive surgery, you're finally Cammie Dunaway

Nintendo needs to globalize their management, production teams, and development teams.

Yes, of course. But there still should be a central body guiding and approving stuff. Or, rather, there would be.
The main problem right now is that instead of a world wide collective of talented and experience Nintendo personnel creating products, all the ideas are disseminating from a group of 60 year old men in Kyoto. Maybe 7-10 years ago, they were still in touch with the market. After all they did catch lightning in a bottle with Wii and DS. But these men are now in their 60s, have any of them even played a game in 10 years? What happens if stubborn Nintendo bets their entire next-generation on a bunch of now 70 year old Japanese men who haven't played a video game since Radarscope.

I think that's rather unfair. Maybe they are out of touch, but they'd be replaced by men in their late forties and fifties and age is not necessarily going to make them more open to new ideas.

Yet, this man has all the approval and veto power within Nintendo development. You can keep begging him for trophies and voice acting, but he is more concerned in adding a blow function to Donkey Kong Country Returns and a gyroscope feature to Zelda Ocarina. You know horrible ideas that aren't practical to people who actually have to play the games. Miyamoto's idea of gaming innovation might one day be to add a whoopee cushion to the controller because it's wacky.

The gyro in Zelda was great for me. You really just seem angry at Miyamoto. Did something happen? Did you hear something? I'm not being sarcastic, you just seem really down on Nintendo and Miyamoto lately.

Give development power to the new generation of developers. Give production power to the new generation of producers. Make hardware decisions based on everyone's collective input. Let's see what happens.

I thought there was/would be a shift with the producers like Eguchi getting promoted. Giving NSMB2 to mostly newer staff seems like a step in a (possibly right) direction.

Expand Gamefreak so that a mainline Pokemon title can go on this new HD console,

Game Freak has about doubled in 5 years, there's ~92 of them now. As for console Pokemon, I'm not sure why you or anyone thinks it's a good idea to hire more people to make a more expensive game only to not have it sell as well as the handheld entries. Street cred?

Drago

If I were Iwata, I would

1. Fire Reggie
2. Release new 3DS XL Colors in NA
3. Release the Mother trilogy on both WiiU and 3DS VC worldwide
4. Make Wario Land 5 (or 6)
5. Force localizations of Japanese 3rd Part 3DS/WiiU games
6. Relaunch the WiiU with plans to launch a portable console in 2015
7. Hire Reggie
8. Fire Reggie

Then I would retire and ride off into the sunset on Miyamoto's back and spend the rest of my days painting fruits

Mobius 1

I typed up this list of things, and then realized something.

I'm no longer in Nintendo's target demographics, nor do I care if they will last another generation or not, at least in the console space.

I very much enjoy the 3DS and some of their console efforts, but the Wii and WiiU are utterly unappealing to me. And everything I see coming out of them lately doesn't interest me at all.

At. all.

:(

Iacobellis

I've been saying this for a while. I really hope 3DS is the end of the DS line. It's functional, we've all gotten used to it, but it's still a poor design choice. I'm fine with the next handheld retaining 3D as long as it doesn't result in poor resolution like with 3DS.

Same horsepower? 3DS hardware is already very outdated. The next handheld could have iPhone 5-esque specs that power a 5 inch, 720p screen.

FStop7

Banned
First, I would emerge from my cocoon.

Wiping away the nutrient rich gel that sustained me during my gestation period, I would stand before a full length mirror, surveying my naked form.

And I would raise my clenched fist and say "Finally, I am Iwata."

Then I'd fire myself.

Game Freak has about doubled in 5 years, there's ~92 of them now. As for console Pokemon, I'm not sure why you or anyone thinks it's a good idea to hire more people to make a more expensive game only to not have it sell as well as the handheld entries. Street cred?

I'm sure as hell it won't sell the handheld numbers, it's to move the new console. Pokemon IP will always move units.

They've done a lot worse to try to expand the IP, and I think taking a step on the console side is actually one of the more sane ideas.

Top Bottom