• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What's up with the build quality of the 3DS XL?

Foxix Von

So, around last august I made a thread asking for advice regarding the purchase of either an XL or a Vita. I went the Vita route despite being a little bit doubtful of the hardware at the time. Eventually I stopped using my 3DS almost completely and got rid of it. I had the intention of waiting a bit, hopping on a XL sale at some point and letting more games I was interested in be released.

So flash forward to the present with Soul Hackers coming out I figured this would be the time to strike especially with that Target sale. I think I've made a mistake. I sat on it for a while, figuring I'd open it when SMT came out, but something nagged at the back of my head to check it for defects before it may be too late to return. So tonight I cracked open the box and dug into it, rather excited, and my initial impressions are complete and utter disappointment.

What happened here? I was impressed by how light the unit is, but not in a necessarily pleasant way. It feels incredibly flimsy and cheap, rather than sturdy it feels like it could snap if I torque on it with relative ease. This was made worse when I opened the clamshell for the first time and realized how off balance the unit is. Somehow it feels like all the weight is in the top of the screen, it feels awkward and thin. Every button on the machine is mushy and squishy, there's absolutely no responsiveness to any of the inputs. Compare this to the incredible tactile sensation of the Vita's face buttons or even the original 3DS and something is gravely amiss here. I can't even tell when I've registered a press on the power button. The clamshell design doesn't even fully close. There's no lip to the outer rim of the top screen so there's a visible gap between the top and bottom screens when closed. Sliding the slide pad around feels like it's gliding on low grade paper. The stylus is a major downgrade from the 3DS as well. What used to be a slick metal telescoping stylus has become a cheap piece of badly molded plastic.

The screen? The screen is probably the worst part of this thing. I'll be the first to throw stones at the Vita's grainy, vertical line ridden, mura plagued, burn in inducing oled but this thing? This is ridiculous. There's this persistent shimmer that glitters across the screen. At first I thought this was just the 3D effect being at a bad angle, but no, this effect persists in 2D mode as well.

What in the hell happened here? I know I'm probably being overly critical here, and this whole post is incredibly reactionary but this is honestly one of the worst pieces of hardware I've ever purchased. This is definitely not the norm in my experience of buying many, many Nintendo handhelds.

I'm not sure what to do here. I'm tempted to return this for another regular 3DS but after getting used to the larger screen sizes on my other devices, that size just isn't adequate or enjoyable to play on.

Was the XL just some grand cost cutting maneuver or something? The existence of this thing has me scratching my head.

Jobbs

Banned
I don't relate to what you're saying. When I got my XL my impression was that it was more solid and rugged than I would have expected. I also liked the matte finish. No yucky gloss.

Indeed, I've dropped this thing hard enough times -- I really think it's solid and durable. It feels like quality to me. I'm no fanboy.

PAULINK

I microwave steaks.
The shimmer you are seeing is most likely the 3D still on, the 3D slider has to click down in order to fully turn it off.

The gap you are seeing is to prevent the top screen from touching the bottom casing (that is a good thing).

The buttons being squishy seems like a completely different issue, my buttons are all clicky and feel no different from the original 3DS (besides texture).

Anyways, my only complaint about the XL are the horrible speakers.

FLAguy954

I disagree. Other than the flimsiness of the battery cover, the build quality of the 3DS XL rivals that of the DS Phat, it's pretty solid stuff.

Jackano

Was the XL just some grand cost cutting maneuver or something? The existence of this thing has me scratching my head.

It's very simple. Consumers wanted to play on larger screens, so they did an XL model.
However the next redesign should be here next year, and it will probably be the "real deal". Better manufacturing unlike the OG model, screens size between the OG and XL, etc... The 3DSi or something. Redeisgns happens every ~18 months.

serplux

Sorry, can't relate here. The XL is one of the best handhelds Nintendo has ever made, next to the GBA SP and the DS Lite.

The shimmer you are seeing is most likely the 3D still on, the 3D slider has to click down in order to fully turn it off.

The gap you are seeing is to prevent the top screen from touching the bottom casing (that is a good thing).

The buttons being squishy seems like a completely different issue, my buttons are all clicky and feel no different from the original 3DS (besides texture).

Agreed re: the 3D still being on - I had this problem at first too until I realised indeed that you needed to click it down a bit further.

My only criticism would be that the panel underneath does seem to be loose at one corner (you can get your nail under it and lift slightly) - other than that it's a pretty solid piece of kit.

orioto

Good Art™
This was made worse when I opened the clamshell for the first time and realized how off balance the unit is. Somehow it feels like all the weight is in the top of the screen, it feels awkward and thin.

The screen? The screen is probably the worst part of this thing. I'll be the first to throw stones at the Vita's grainy, vertical line ridden, mura plagued, burn in inducing oled but this thing? This is ridiculous. There's this persistent shimmer that glitters across the screen. At first I thought this was just the 3D effect being at a bad angle, but no, this effect persists in 2D mode as well.

What in the hell happened here? I know I'm probably being overly critical here, and this whole post is incredibly reactionary but this is honestly one of the worst pieces of hardware I've ever purchased. This is definitely not the norm in my experience of buying many, many Nintendo handhelds.

I'm not sure what to do here. I'm tempted to return this for another regular 3DS but after getting used to the larger screen sizes on my other devices, that size just isn't adequate or enjoyable to play on.

Same here, the balance, i hate it to the point i'm reluctant to play it. The first 3ds seemed wel balanced cause the top screen was light enough so you didn't feel its weight specially. But now you have something that truly feels like it's in two piece in your hands, and it's not stable.

Also of course the screen has the worst screen door in history and its luminosity doesn't stop to vary with the slightest orientation change. And i still have this ghosting problem on some games, even with one eye closed.

I'm thinking of rebuying (i broke the first one) a normal 3ds someday for cheap.

Jonnyram

This is pretty much why I haven't bought a 3DS XL yet. I bought units for my wife and daughter, but I am still using my original 3DS for myself, and holding out for a revision sometime.

I think the XL feels cheap. Sure, it has a larger screen which is great, and I like the matt finish, but I really hate the rounded edges when it's closed, and how flimsy the lid feels when opening it. Also, the touch pen doesn't feel like it's held properly and could fall out regularly.

I haven't played the XL yet, but the design and manufacturing on the 3DS is a definite step down from previous Nintendo portables. I actually really like the system as a whole, but it feels looser, cheaper, and more prone to wear than past efforts imo. The stylus placement and layout of secondary buttons (start, select, power, etc.) is a disappointment coming off the mostly great designs of the GB, GBA, and DS lines. Actually, it seems like Nintendo systems have lost some of their former solidity in general since they started outsourcing to China. The 3DS still seems to be the weakest link even within that subcategory though. Not terrible, but far from unimpeachable.

serplux

This is pretty much why I haven't bought a 3DS XL yet. I bought units for my wife and daughter, but I am still using my original 3DS for myself, and holding out for a revision sometime.

I think the XL feels cheap. Sure, it has a larger screen which is great, and I like the matt finish, but I really hate the rounded edges when it's closed, and how flimsy the lid feels when opening it. Also, the touch pen doesn't feel like it's held properly and could fall out regularly.

I'm sorry, but you said you had an original 3DS, which wobbles back and forth like there's no tomorrow. The XL greatly improves on that.

Foxix Von

Ah thanks for this, I was honestly afraid of lowering the slider down further since there's a surprising amount of resistance and I thought I'd snap it if I went further.

Fixing this however has revealed a very... odd yellow tint to the whole screen?

Thoraxes

Ah thanks for this, I was honestly afraid of lowering the slider down further since there's a surprising amount of resistance and I thought I'd snap it if I went further.

Power-saving mode. However, the colors are warmer too. The main menu screen will look less white like it did on your old system, and it's really only noticeable on the home screen. Not really noticeable in-game from my experience, and the warmer colors look nicer in the end.

Also, there's a click on the slider for the 3DS XL now so you can set it to a minimum low 3D setting or it doesn't accidentally slide up while you play.

Ty4on

I have no idea why, but some 3DS and pretty much all 3DS XL seem to have a yellow (top?) screen. And it's not even close to something subtle you only notice comparing it to a different screen. You really notice it with a white background not comparing it to anything.

SmokyDave

I went the Vita route despite being a little bit doubtful of the hardware at the time. Eventually I stopped using my 3DS almost completely and got rid of it
It's hard to go back to hamburger once you're used to steak.

Mutagenic

Permanent Junior Member
The screen isn't good. Playing GBA games even in a 1:1 ratio still blurs like crazy. The refresh is terrible.

Foxix Von

Power-saving mode. However, the colors are warmer too. The main menu screen will look less white like it did on your old system, and it's really only noticeable on the home screen. Not really noticeable in-game from my experience, and the warmer colors look nicer in the end.

Also, there's a click on the slider for the 3DS XL now so you can set it to a minimum low 3D setting or it doesn't accidentally slide up while you play.

This is definitely turned off. I'll have to play some games on it but it's very, very noticeable so far.

Orayn

I'm quite happy with mine, except for my back battery cover creaking a little. Dunno if I should get a replacement or just remove/re-seat it with some Silly Putty to immobilize whichever tab/clip is making noise.

rouken

the XL almost greatly improves upon the OG 3ds faults. It might be cheap looking but it isn't, I had mine for like 5 months and there's no sign of fault in the machine. maybe you're just expecting too much from it because you came from the god tier handheld that vita is. well the 3ds ain't a vita, but it's pretty solid for what it is.

this is the best contribution to a thread that I've seen today.

Apenheul

The build quality is good, it's just that the materials feel (and most likely are) cheap. Yesterday night my dog got hold of my 3DS XL after he pulled the charger cable. The system fell from 1.5 meter high, the unit flipped open or maybe the dog somehow opened it, there are bitemarks everywhere and the unit still works perfectly except for the 3D slider because that's blocked because of a bitemark. Hinges were still fine too which surprised me.

Ty4on

The screen isn't good. Playing GBA games even in a 1:1 ratio still blurs like crazy. The refresh is terrible.
By holding down start and select when starting a GBA/DS game it will be in native res. GBA/DS screen was 192p while the 3DS screen is 240p.

99% certain you only need to hold down one button, but I don't remember which one (probably both).

Mutagenic

Permanent Junior Member
By holding down start and select when starting a GBA/DS game it will be in native res. GBA/DS screen was 192p while the 3DS screen is 240p.

99% certain you only need to hold down one button, but I don't remember which one (probably both).
I do that, hence me commenting on a 1:1 ratio. The screen ghosts something fierce regardless.

You only need to hold down one. I do this everyday with DS games, even though I've never tried with GBA games.

kitsuneyo

I'm not massively impressed with the 3DS XL build quality either. I noticed a lot of give in the casing around SD card slot, and the screen doesn't like sunlight at all. These aren't big concerns though, I really can't imagine the system ever breaking. It's such a good machine with so many good games, I can forgive it a few minor faults.

vanty

My system has a lid that struggles to wiggle even 1 mm and the stylus is more secure than any other DS system I own.

I don't get where people are having some balance issues, I've not experienced it nor have I ever even heard of such a thing before.

Apart from the terrible speakers (and I, like most people I imagine, always use headphones or have sound off so not a big issue) it destroys the original 3DS in every way.

Ragus

Banned
I have no problem with XL's quality. It's a very solid construction.

Normal 3DS on the other hand, my god, what a fucking trainwreck.

Ollie Pooch

In a perfect world, we'd all be homersexual
Tech wise it's pretty shit, but it actually feels pretty sturdy to me. The jet black xl is particularly nice and super comfortable with the CPP XL. Happy with mine. Shame I had to spend extra to get that second stick but that's par for the course for Nintendo. They love their plastic add on shit.

We replaced the bf's old red OG 3DS with the XL for our Monster Hunter addiction - the difference is night and day. I can definitely say the original is a train wreck, poorly designed, with shit battery life and a terrible screen. Like most first-round Nintendo hardware.

Ty4on

I do that, hence me commenting on a 1:1 ratio. The screen ghosts something fierce regardless.

Ah, sorry. Haven't noticed ghosting (my friend has one), but the crosstalk in OoT made me move my head around like crazy because I was sure I was in the wrong position.

Madness

Sorry, can't relate here. The XL is one of the best handhelds Nintendo has ever made, next to the GBA SP and the DS Lite.

Apparently you forgot the 'yellow tint' that plagued DS Lite screens for months. I had to return my DS Lite 4 times until I got one that wasn't part of the defective batch.

I love Nintendo hardware, I can still bring out my NE, SNES, original game boy, n64 etc. But their quality has gone downhill. I don't know if it was the move to China for almost all of duties manufacturing, or if quality assurance is down, but I've found Nintendo products to have far more defects or quirks than they ever did before.

Maybe that's the price of being so technologically advanced while keeping prices down.

Apparently you forgot the 'yellow tint' that plagued DS Lite screens for months. I had to return my DS Lite 4 times until I got one that wasn't part of the defective batch.

I love Nintendo hardware, I can still bring out my NE, SNES, original game boy, n64 etc. But their quality has gone downhill. I don't know if it was the move to China for almost all of duties manufacturing, or if quality assurance is down, but I've found Nintendo products to have far more defects or quirks than they ever did before.

Maybe that's the price of being so technologically advanced while keeping prices down.

My Wii and Wii U have been perfection and are way better quality than the N64 (that N64 controller was the biggest piece of shit imaginable). I have not had a single issue with any Nintendo system since N64 other than 3DS OG screen scratching.

The entire unit just reeks of cheapness, the screens, speakers, stylus, plastic... everything.
It doesn't even come with a damn adapter! (here in the UK)

In my experience the 3DS is the very worst piece of Nintendo hardware.
I've owned nearly everything since the NES and the 3DS is the only unit I've had an issue with.
Three times.
OG black creaked all over the place and had the screen scratching issue.
Replaced with a white that had a 'circuit board malfunction' and simply didn't turn on one day.
Replaced that with an XL which is in for repair literally at this moment as it powers off when going in and out of sleep mode.

I think I'm done with Nintendo hardware at this point.

People shit on the OG 3DS but going back to it, I've become quite smitten with it. Certainly take it over the toy-like quality of the XL.

Sure the battery life is pretty shite, but so is the battery in most modern devices unfortunately, whether they be handheld consoles or mobile phones. Other than that it's a great handheld.

Nothing will ever touch the GBA SP though..

perorist

Unconfirmed Member
Interesting how polarizing opinions are on this. I've owned every one of their handhelds since the GB and I feel the XL is nintendo's best piece of hardware yet. Screens aside, the OG 3ds is the one with a cheaper, toy-like quality for me and a monstrosity in ergonomics.

Also not sure why anyone in their right minds prefers the telescopic stylus to the single long plastic one that has been working fine since the DS. Not only is the telescopic stylus placed in the worst position (unless you're left handed, slightly better), but requires you to put down the 3ds or uncomfortably maneuver one hand to extend the thing. Even worse for games that only intermittently use touch functions where you want to switch it in and out often.

Ty4on

Sure the battery life is pretty shite, but so is the battery in most modern devices unfortunately, whether they be handheld consoles or mobile phones. Other than that it's a great handheld.

Nothing will ever touch the GBA SP though..

It's actually much better, the device just sucks more power. The Nintendo DSiXL had a 1050mAh battery, 3DS has 1300, 3DS XL 1750 and the Vita has 2210.

2+2=5

The Amiga Brotherhood
So, around last august I made a thread asking for advice regarding the purchase of either an XL or a Vita. I went the Vita route despite being a little bit doubtful of the hardware at the time. Eventually I stopped using my 3DS almost completely and got rid of it. I had the intention of waiting a bit, hopping on a XL sale at some point and letting more games I was interested in be released.

So flash forward to the present with Soul Hackers coming out I figured this would be the time to strike especially with that Target sale. I think I've made a mistake. I sat on it for a while, figuring I'd open it when SMT came out, but something nagged at the back of my head to check it for defects before it may be too late to return. So tonight I cracked open the box and dug into it, rather excited, and my initial impressions are complete and utter disappointment.

What happened here? I was impressed by how light the unit is, but not in a necessarily pleasant way. It feels incredibly flimsy and cheap, rather than sturdy it feels like it could snap if I torque on it with relative ease. This was made worse when I opened the clamshell for the first time and realized how off balance the unit is. Somehow it feels like all the weight is in the top of the screen, it feels awkward and thin. Every button on the machine is mushy and squishy, there's absolutely no responsiveness to any of the inputs. Compare this to the incredible tactile sensation of the Vita's face buttons or even the original 3DS and something is gravely amiss here. I can't even tell when I've registered a press on the power button. The clamshell design doesn't even fully close. There's no lip to the outer rim of the top screen so there's a visible gap between the top and bottom screens when closed. Sliding the slide pad around feels like it's gliding on low grade paper. The stylus is a major downgrade from the 3DS as well. What used to be a slick metal telescoping stylus has become a cheap piece of badly molded plastic.

You simply made the "mistake" of buying vita, from now on no nintendo handheld will look good :p

SteveWD40

Yeah, it's even worse when you game a lot on retina display iOS devices. I get that there is a gulf in quality in the games sure, 3DS / DS library is second to none, but the screens are soooooo bad compared to what's out there now.

Gotta make them cheap enough to sell though /shrug

3ds is pretty bad... But you can get used to it.

Well mostly. The text is what gets me. Looks awful. And most of the 3ds games that are decent are text heavy.

Pretty much play in 3d all the time though which helps a little.

Top Bottom