• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Capcom explains their marketing strategy for Dragon's Dogma in Japan

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
I thought some people might find this interesting.

Polygon said:

Kobayashi's main concern was that console owners in Japan would take one look at Dogma's visuals and dismiss it as yo-ge-a term (literally "Western game") often used derisively when talking about US-made games with dark, brooding backdrops, space marine-type characters, and tons of bloody violence.

"A lot of Western-made games have pretty dark atmospheres," he told Famitsu. "So to emphasize the fact that we were different with that, we pushed a lot of scenes [in the preview material] that showed characters fighting under a bright blue sky."

The initial approach that Capcom took to selling Dogma to Japan: Don't call it an RPG at all.

"Capcom decided to announce the title as an 'action game'," Famitsu wrote, "deliberately avoiding the term 'open world RPG'. This could be termed a very Capcom-like approach, given the great success they've had producing Monster Hunter and other games in the action genre. The idea was that gamers who hear that Capcom has a new action game coming out would immediately be more interested in hearing more about it."

This helped get the Dogma name out to the Japanese market during the initial press run in 2011. As the spring '12 release approached, though, another problem arose: The tactic was so successful that gamers began to think there were no RPG elements to the title at all. This was a problem, considering that (a) Dogma's an RPG, of course (b) Capcom's main target audience were male gamers in their thirties.

"With all the RPG lovers in Japan," Famitsu wrote, "this wasn't a problem they could ignore. So, as the release date drew near, Capcom switched tactics and touted the game's RPG-ness, talking about how it lets gamers explore a high-fantasy world. They launched a number of drives meant to appeal to the adult male audience, from enlisting J-pop band B'z for the opening theme to organizing a tie-in with the Berserk anime film and producing a novelette penned by Record of Lodoss War author Ryo Mizuno. This wave of effort, all meant to attract the eye of thirty-something gamers, helped Capcom attract both action and RPG fans with Dragon's Dogma, helping them sell 320,000 copies in the first week."

That was the quickest any original franchise sold this generation in Japan, a success that any publisher could be happy with. Yet, as Kobayashi put it, "I think we still have more room to sell this."

Source: http://www.polygon.com/2013/4/10/42...ragons-dogma-wound-up-being-such-a-big-hit-in

They call Western games, "You Gay ah!" ??
Very appropriate! Ironically I was disinterested in Dragon's Dogma for the same reason
It reeks of grim, dark generic fantasy RPG. Did not like it.

Eidan

Very appropriate! Ironically I was disinterested in Dragon's Dogma for the same reason

What's funny is that Skyrim, the yo-ge-whatever, is on all fronts a more colorful and visually dynamic game.

dramatis

It's "yo-ge", the 'a' refers to "a term".

'Yo' is pronounced like you would say it in English, not 'you'.

Well, at least the marketing is earnest and did well.

Zukuu

Banned
My copy is still unplayed (except for ~30 minutes or so). Will pick it up soon. Initially I wanted to wait for the hard mode, but then I heard about the Add On. Since they only sell it as stand alone, I won't buy it tho. Well the original game is good enough right?
Or how much content will be added with the add on?

What's funny is that Skyrim, the yo-ge-whatever, is on all fronts a more colorful and visually dynamic game.

Skyrim is gorgeous. Everything is so freaking pretty! The sky, the grass, the water.
Then I see a Dragon and ignore it because it looks so majestic flying high in the sky.

Syril

Same here. Ironic considering that Capcom has really awesome fantasy artists.

So essentially the was a grown man's RPG. This would also explain certain NPCs interactions being more prominent/appealing *see Mercedes and or the royal lady*

dismiss it as yo-ge-a term (literally "Western game") often used derisively when talking about US-made games with dark, brooding backdrops, space marine-type characters, and tons of bloody violence.

lol, oh dear.

I always looked at Dragon's Dogma as the successor to Dungeons and Dragons. An action game with RPG elements thrown in.

dd01.jpg

Made by Capcom as well.

We're just going to have to disagree there.

They have a school of magic called DESTRUCTION! which has some of the saddest looking spells ever. Where are my meteor strikes? My tornado's? How about some Earth-bending too?
Why can I summon so few creatures, where are the giant golems and other fell beasts?

VariantX

Yes, skyrim definitely had the better world, but the combat was straight up trash. If only both of these games could combine their best aspects...

Orca

Sounds like the marketing plan for every big budget movie. First they sell the women on it by showing it as a love story or date movie, then in the month before release they change the tone of commercials to sell it to men with more action.

Eidan

Yes, skyrim definitely had the better world, but the combat was straight up trash. If only both of these games could combine their best aspects...

Bethesda's gift with world building combined with Dogma's combat system would truly be a beautiful thing.

danmaku

This reminds me of the Kirby cover comparison, where in the west he always looks angry and in japan he always looks happy.

daxgame

Polyon said:
Originally Posted by Polygon:

Kobayashi's main concern was that console owners in Japan would take one look at Dogma's visuals and dismiss it as yo-ge-a term (literally "Western game") often used derisively when talking about US-made games with dark, brooding backdrops, space marine-type characters, and tons of bloody violence.

ha ha. Oh Japan :) I respect you

hiro4

Funny that they mention their target group: male in their thirties. In a way I found this very surprising.

Skyrim is gorgeous. Everything is so freaking pretty! The sky, the grass, the water.
Then I see a Dragon and ignore it because it looks so majestic flying high in the sky.

When playing Skyrim, I can't help but look at the night sky. It's so pretty. Yes. Mmmm. Pretty. The night sky in Dragon's Dogma screams "STOP LOOKING AT THE SKY, BITCH, AND FIGHT ME!"

Top Bottom