• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Capcom explains their marketing strategy for Dragon's Dogma in Japan

RedSwirl

I kind of wish they would repeat those tactics when trying to sell games to the western market... just without actually trying to rip off western games. Just... y'know, make your own Japanese games, but make them for the age groups that actually include the average western console gamer.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
Having a marketing strategy at all OUTSIDE of Japan probably would have been a good idea as well, but theyre a rarity at the Capcom of today.

Mugaaz

Skyrim is fun interactive entertainment. Its not a game. Games require some meaningful choices, possibility of winning or losing. Cant really have a combat engine if enemy cant kill you. As fun as it can be to be a walking deity clad in armor of invincibility wielding lightning bolts, it not usually a compelling game.

Mesoian

Yes, skyrim definitely had the better world, but the combat was straight up trash. If only both of these games could combine their best aspects...

UGH, we could only dream. Part of me wants Capcom to partner with Bethesda and they just licence each other's tech to each other they make their own stuff.

But that won't happen. ::sigh::

The nighttime and dungeons should not be bright in dragon's dogma. In most games nighttime doesn't actually seem that different except a blue tinted sky. Nighttime actually effects how you play because you need a lantern to see and before you get overpowered there's a lot more lurking around that could give you trouble. I really liked the spell effects at night. The textures and graphics could be better but I believe the lighting fits the mood and does well for the game.

D

Deleted member 20920

Unconfirmed Member
Enlisting J-pop band B'z for the opening was to appeal to the adult male audience?

wut

B'z is perfect given that they've been around since 88, like someone has said. They're a group that sold albums really well. The theme song itself was also first released in the 90s and not actually a new song.

klee123

Personally I thought getting B'z to do the theme song was an awesome move on Capcom's part.

Too many medieval themed fantasy games nowadays have the usual forgettable epic orchestrated scores so for me, it was definitely a good change.

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
Reading this is interesting since its presentation to Japan was how most of us in the west were first exposed to it as well.

and I think it really backfired over here. So many people had no idea what the game was early on and got the wrong first impression.

Its presentation as a monster hunter action game is probably why so many people thought it was going to have online co-op over here.

D

Deleted member 20920

Unconfirmed Member
Reading this is interesting since its presentation to Japan was how most of us in the west were first exposed to it as well.

and I think it really backfired over here. So many people had no idea what the game was early on and got the wrong first impression.

Its presentation as a monster hunter action game is probably why so many people thought it was going to have online co-op over here.

Yeah...It was kind of weird at the start when they refused to outright say that it is an RPG. Then they started explaining the systems and features and I was like "This is definitely an RPG". But they were still telling interviewers that it's not?! Then they switched gears and said it is... They should have marketed the open world, action rpgness in the Western side of the world. Would have helped it sell more.

Platy

I thought some people might find this interesting.

Kobayashi's main concern was that console owners in Japan would take one look at Dogma's visuals and dismiss it as yo-ge-a term (literally "Western game") often used derisively when talking about US-made games with dark, brooding backdrops, space marine-type characters, and tons of bloody violence.

"A lot of Western-made games have pretty dark atmospheres," he told Famitsu. "So to emphasize the fact that we were different with that, we pushed a lot of scenes [in the preview material] that showed characters fighting under a bright blue sky."

Source: http://www.polygon.com/2013/4/10/42...ragons-dogma-wound-up-being-such-a-big-hit-in

On a related note

c_l1365732815_11umso0.jpg

http://www.gpara.com/article/cms_show.php?c_id=35888&c_num=37
http://news.livedoor.com/article/detail/7585695/

Kobayashi's main concern was that console owners in Japan would take one look at Dogma's visuals and dismiss it as yo-ge-a term (literally "Western game") often used derisively when talking about US-made games with dark, brooding backdrops, space marine-type characters, and tons of bloody violence.

Ahahaahaha, oh man. While we give them shit for moe games, they stereotype those western games with this.

Top Bottom