• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The NES Spring Challenge - 3 games you've never completed

Andrew.

Banned
In light of nothing of particular personal interest releasing for the next couple months, I decided to dig into my NES library, pop on my rose tinted glasses, and finish off a few classic titles that plagued my childhood. I was thinking maybe some of you would wanna join in the fun.

So here's the deal: Pick out three NES games that you have never finished due to challenge, time restrictions, etc. and complete them before the next major release! We can track our progress through here via posts or screenshots, give each other pointers for particular titles and offer encouragement and insight to those who are about to pull their hair out or break their remotes/controllers. For me, I have two months before TLOU drops, so I think that gives me enough time to finally conquer:

38001.jpg

Since its release when I was 8 or so, I always found the game forboding, yet eerily atmospheric and wielding a beautiful soundtrack. I remember a bunch of bullshit puzzling moments like summoning the tornado and kneeling on a block for 5 seconds to unlock a new area, but something about it now is extremely attractive to me and I want to finally sink my teeth into it and kick its ass.

13833-550x-StarTropics%20-%20Title%20Screen.jpg

Stiff controls, awkward grid jumping mechanics and yo-yos. I loved this game as a kid, regardless of how many times it unjustly kicked my ass. I've heard of some of the later difficulty spikes, especially towards the end, but hopefully I'll be able to manage. I think I only every got up to Chapter 3 or 4.

Metroid%20title%20screen.jpg

Some of my first days faking sick as a kid in elementary school were because of this game. Even using the Justin Bailey code, I could never finish it. That all changes now.

So what say you GAF? Any other participants? Lets do this!

StarTropics
StarTropics is easier than it looks.

I won't have time to participate but if I did I would pick these
three NES games that I've always wanted to play through but never did:

Might & Magic NES
OloRmRZ.gif

I've never really sat down to finish this game, only played the first 30 minutes over and over.

Duck Tales 2 NES
8FqUG0G.png

The first one I've played hundreds of times but never touched the 2nd one.

Code Name: Viper (Capcom's NES Rolling Thunder clone)
poqfGKz.png

I love Rolling Thunder. Capcom's version is a really good clone of it and I've always wanted to beat it.

StarTropics is easier than it looks.

I won't have time to participate but if I did I would pick these
three NES games that I've always wanted to play through but never did:

Might & Magic NES
OloRmRZ.gif

I've never really sat down to finish this game, only played the first 30 minutes over and over.

Oh god this is a big undertaking. Game is huge. Really impressive that they fit this on the NES, along with some other classic western games like D&D Pools of Radiance.

Code Name: Viper (Capcom's NES Rolling Thunder clone)
poqfGKz.png

I love Rolling Thunder. Capcom's version is a really good clone of it and I've always wanted to beat it.

That naked dude!

Andrew.

Banned
Codename: Viper is such a great title. I just beat it a few years ago too. Not too challenging and fun all the way through.

I actually think Startropics will give me the roughest time. Some of those dungeon platform hopping puzzles are a pain in the ass, and god forbid you choose a wrong path and hop into a room where you immediatley fall into the water.

baphomet

Actually this is a pretty good idea. There isn't shit coming out until next gen consoles as far as I'm concerned. I would say Metroid, but I actually beat it for the first time a couple of weeks ago. Man is it tough if you die and lose all those energy tanks. It takes forever to fill them back up.

My 3 will be:
1. Little Nemo: The Dreammaster
2. Star Tropics
3. Ninja Gaiden II

First two should be pretty easy, but Ninja Gaiden II will probably take some practice. I can get to the last level of the first game without dying. So I know I can do it, it'll just take a bit of practice. All will be played on my actual console as well.

Andrew.

Banned
My 3 will be:
1. Little Nemo: The Dreammaster
2. Star Tropics
3. Ninja Gaiden II

Nice dude! Nemo is quite tough. I was only able to beat it as a kid using Game Genie unfortunately.

I'm gonna be tracking my progress via occasional screenshots. If those participating wanna do the same, all the more awesome.

Andrew.

Banned
I may have to add this or exchange it due to GAF word of mouth and the fact I never gave it the time of day back when I was a kid

Faxanadu-Virtual-Console.jpeg

led4lyfe

I would love to finish these three, rented them all the time but never beat them

1. Power Blade
2. G.I. Joe
3. Maniac Mansion

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
I'm actually itching to play through Rygar, since that fits this criteria perfectly. Most recently I finished Mega Man 6 and last weekend Goonies 2 (beat it on an emulator when in college but wanted to do it for reals).

Here we go:
1. Rygar
2. The Guardian Legend
3. Battle of Olympus

I would love to finish these three, rented them all the time but never beat them

1. Power Blade
2. G.I. Joe
3. Maniac Mansion

Maniac Mansion is a good one, never beat that either... I know there are multiple endings based on what party you use.

Andrew.

Banned
Did you use a guide for Goonies 2? I always figured that was one particular NES title that pretty much needed it. I dont even remember kids at recess discussing it.

Anustart

I will do:

Duck Tales
Duck Tales 2
Guardian Legend (Played this one so much as a kid, never beat it, time to rectify)

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
I might give this a shot. I'm limited to Wii and 3DS NES games, though.

Fuck. I still have like 40 hours of Persona 4 to get through. Or I'd jump in. I don't think I give a fuck about any games coming out up until Last of Us. So I will return!

tav7623

I'm in, I'm gonna go with Castlevania, Ninja Gaiden, and Mega Man 3 for my three games. Though just so you know I'm gonna have to play them through the Wii/3DS VC since I no longer have a NES, but I'll try not to use save states in order to preserve these game's challenging nature.

Andrew.

Banned
It's all good and what I am doing as well. Mega Man 3 is gonna be a pain in the ass without that jump cheat.

Then again, Castlevania and NG are gonna be pretty painful as well.

Man this is gonna fun.

tav7623

Yeah I know, it's part of the reason I chose them with the other part being the whole no NES thing or else I would have gone with Castlevania, Alien 3, and TMNT instead.

tav7623

Yeah, it's gone I believe it got taken off the Wii VC last year due to the license expiring. Of course I had forgotten all about it until last month when I found it among a bunch of old NES & Genesis carts I had packed away years ago.

I'll give it a go.

Ninja Gaiden 2
I've played and beaten the original (once) but never beaten the sequels.

Legend of Zelda's Second Quest
I figure this counts. I've done the original quest several times, but never the second one.

Metal Storm
One of my favorite underrated NES games. However, when I play it, I'm tossing the controller by the third level.

Het_Nkik

Lemme peep at my backlog and see what I can do here...

bDqVhY3.jpg

I hear it's good. Never played despite owning it for a few years. I love SNK but I've never played an RPG by them. Should be fun.

44QrCM6.jpg

Played it pretty far but got stuck as shit in this area where blocks fall from the sky. I was trying to do it with Trevor solo which I hear is probably the hardest route so yeah. I can give it another go.

SZZYMmW.jpg

I've made it to the last boss twice but could never beat it. My co-op partner usually sucks dick and steals lives from me so maybe if I did it solo I could stand a chance.

Dremark

Banned
Lemme peep at my backlog and see what I can do here...

bDqVhY3.jpg

I hear it's good. Never played despite owning it for a few years. I love SNK but I've never played an RPG by them. Should be fun.

44QrCM6.jpg

Played it pretty far but got stuck as shit in this area where blocks fall from the sky. I was trying to do it with Trevor solo which I hear is probably the hardest route so yeah. I can give it another go.

SZZYMmW.jpg

I've made it to the last boss twice but could never beat it. My co-op partner usually sucks dick and steals lives from me so maybe if I did it solo I could stand a chance.

CV3 is prolly my favorite game on the system and Crystalis isn't far behind. Jackal is really good too so good choice all around.

CV3 is really hard though, maybe the hardest game on the NES to be honest, good luck with it.

Robin64

Good idea! Okay then.

MM5-StageSelect.png

I've never even played Mega Man 5, though I've fought some of these bosses in the wonderful GB version Mega Man IV. Very odd, considering I really like Mega Man games. Time to fix this.

startropics.gif

I don't even really know what Star Tropics is, but people call it a spiritual sister to Zelda and it has quite the cult following, so I'll see what the fuss is about.

Blaster_Master_gameplay_%282D_mode%29.png

And Blaster Master. Never touched it, but I hear good things.

i actually love castlevania 2, but alas i also have never beat it even though i dumped tons of hours. faxanadu is also a great game but i can't remember if i beat it or not. crystalis is prolly my fave nes rpg, but again i can't remember if i beat it or not.

tmnt i really should try to beat, got so close so many times. battletoads is a way way easier game imo. but i haven't tried to play tmnt in a real long time. that's really the only game that comes to mind that i know i haven't beat, so i need to find 2 more.

i remember loving renegade as a kid. the stage and character design was just awesome, even if the gameplay wasn't as cool as rcr. maybe i'll pick that as my second, altho i remember beating it with a guide once since i remember the pathing options to be lame. i'll try to beat it legit without a walkthrough this time.

Het_Nkik

CV3 is really hard though, maybe the hardest game on the NES to be honest, good luck with it.

I have beaten the first 2 CVs, all three Ninja Gaidens, TMNT, and knocked out Mike Tyson in the second round. I may not have the greatest skills but I am a persistent son of a bitch.

Link1110

Maybe I'll give it a shot. Gotta find cartridges I have that my RetroSuo doesn't screw up the music on. Little Nemo and Code Name Viper work. Gotta find one more then ill start when I get through Estpolis 2.

Andrew.

Banned
Dr_Chaos_-_NES_-_Title_Screen.png

Someone needs to play this and get back to me. As a kid, I was so strongly attracted to it through seeing pictures in guides, but I never got a chance to play it.

I hear that THIS one is also on the Goonies 2 scale of not being able to complete without some sort of guide.

StAidan

Wish I had time to give it a shot at 3 different NES games, but maybe I'll settle for Metal Storm. I rented it as a kid but never got past Stage 4 ("The Cage"). I now own it as part of my NES collection, but haven't dug into it much since then.

Teknoman

My 3:

Metroid 1
Ninja Gaiden 1
Castlevania 1

I was going through Metroid 1 again due to a Metroid appreciation thread, but never finished. Ninja Gaiden 1 and Castlevania 1 are completely fresh to me since I started with CV3 as a kid, and never played the original NG series in depth.

Actual NES lets go.

Dremark

Banned
I have beaten the first 2 CVs, all three Ninja Gaidens, TMNT, and knocked out Mike Tyson in the second round. I may not have the greatest skills but I am a persistent son of a bitch.

Pretty good chance you can pull it off, I'd say. I'm not able to beat all of those games, but from what I've played I think CV3 is harder than them, but being persistent is key.

Het_Nkik

All right, starting this off with Jackal. Haven't played in awhile so we'll see if I have the skills to beat it tonight.

EDIT: The last level has eaten through all my lives like so many Scooby Snacks. There's this completely asshole cheap airplane that appears in the landing zone and a couple other places. I hate it.

EDIT 2: Yuss. On my last continue I made it to the end of the level without dying once which allowed me to stack 7 lives for the last boss. He took 3 of those away but I managed to kill him.

I'm still shaking a little from that boss fight :p Nothing quite wracks the nerves like an NES last boss fight.

Andrew.

Banned
haha! congrats man! one down!

I started playing Simons Quest last night and Im really enjoying it much more than I thought. Right now Im just collecting hearts for a couple items in the next town. Love that music.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
You know what, I want to put Faxanadu on my list. I made it pretty far back in the day when I borrowed the game from my friend, but never went all the way. My new trick for recording passwords (phone camera pic of the screen) should prevent me from errors in transcribing them, which caused me so much grief back in the good ol' days.

Top Bottom