• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The NES Spring Challenge - 3 games you've never completed

Andrew.

Banned
You know what, I want to put Faxanadu on my list. I made it pretty far back in the day when I borrowed the game from my friend, but never went all the way. My new trick for recording passwords (phone camera pic of the screen) should prevent me from errors in transcribing them, which caused me so much grief back in the good ol' days.

This is a really, really good idea.

Andrew.

Banned
maybe i should finally finish The Legend of Zelda

Maybe you should. Join the party!

Fucking Blaster Master.

Still the only Nintendo game I've not completed. After twenty years.

Grrr.

I'd say the majority of NES Sunsoft games were the bane of my existence when I was a kid aside from Batman. (The soundtrack and presentation really carried that one though)

Fonz72

Yup, I used this bad boy:

PlayersGuide.jpg

I LOVED that guide back in the day! I pretty much read it until it fell apart. Picked one up on Ebay a couple years ago and was crushed it was missing 8-10 pages!

This seems like a pretty good challenge. I was just browsing my NES collection this weekend thinking about hooking the system up. If I end up actually doing it and not procrastinating it away I'll post in here.

Het_Nkik

Well I finally did it, I beat Castlevania

tumblr_mlcpn1TaNv1sos833o1_1280.jpg

Congrats! When I first tried this game about 10 years ago Death put a halt to all my progress. The fixed jumping and all those scythes was crazy hard. I tried again a couple years ago and managed to make it past him. Then there's that hallway right before Dracs with (I think) the axe armors and Medusa heads. That took a while to get down as well. Dracula's actually not so bad compared to those two obstacles.

Now how about a victory screen wipe!

I'd say the majority of NES Sunsoft games were the bane of my existence when I was a kid
Not just as a kid. I picked up Journey to Silius a few years ago... Fuck that game.

Maybe you should. Join the party!

I'd say the majority of NES Sunsoft games were the bane of my existence when I was a kid aside from Batman. (The soundtrack and presentation really carried that one though)

I think I was 8 when I played Blaster Master, that thing took me 6 months to beat. That fucking last boss was the last time I think I've ever been so tense playing a game that I was sweating and could feel my heart pounding in my neck.

Also, what is your new avatar of, dude? Is that a young Robert Englund with a hipster goatee?

tav7623

Congrats! When I first tried this game about 10 years ago Death put a halt to all my progress. The fixed jumping and all those scythes was crazy hard. I tried again a couple years ago and managed to make it past him. Then there's that hallway right before Dracs with (I think) the axe armors and Medusa heads. That took a while to get down as well. Dracula's actually not so bad compared to those two obstacles.

Thanks, prior to this run every time I tried playing this game I would always end up getting stuck at the Frankenstein/Hunchback boss fight. I found out the reason was because I was too focused on killing that d@mn hunchback instead of just ignoring him and focusing on wailing on Frankenstein with the whip & dagger. As for the Death & Dracula boss fights they were also a pain in the butt and ended up hindering my progress for a good two hours before I finally figured out a way to beat them.

Now how about a victory screen wipe!

Consider it done

Boss Pro Tip: Using Holy Water on Death during the Death boss fight will temporarily freeze him in place. If you have a shot multiplier (like the one found in the upper middle section of stage 14 above the 3rd Axe Knight encounter) along with the Holy Water (like the one found near the start of stage 13) you can easily beat Death.

Dremark

Banned
Well I finally did it, I beat Castlevania

tumblr_mlcpn1TaNv1sos833o1_1280.jpg

Congrats, I beat that game for the first time several months back. Felt really good considering that I first played it back around the time it came out and it was my favorite series up until the reboot.

antibolo

Banned
Any tips on beating that Frankenstein-like boss in Castlevania? Last weekend I was playing around with my newly-acquired PowerPak, and decided on a whim that I should beat that damn game, and this is as far as I could get.

Darias

I can still walk through contra, can still walk through bionic commando... Have never even seen stage 5 of blaster master.

From what I've read, it's patently fucked that I never had trouble with Battletoads but can't handle blaster master.

>.<

tav7623

Any tips on beating that Frankenstein-like boss in Castlevania? Last weekend I was playing around with my newly-acquired PowerPak, and decided on a whim that I should beat that damn game, and this is as far as I could get.

Just go to town on him and ignore the hunchback since he can be respawned, or if possible try to have the Holy Water with a shot multiplier handy for this fight because the Holy Water freezes him in place just like it does with Death and it makes this fight a whole lot easier.

P.S. I found this video to show just how easy it makes this fight

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JAZ7Aayi9Z4

tav7623

Now on to my next game, Mega Man 3 and I think I'm making decent progress so far by beating the 8 main robot masters in less than 3 hrs.

tumblr_mldf64zkRr1sos833o1_500.jpg

antibolo

Banned
Just go to town on him and ignore the hunchback since he can be respawned, or if possible try to have the Holy Water with a shot multiplier handy for this fight because the Holy Water freezes him in place just like it does with Death and it makes this fight a whole lot easier.

P.S. I found this video to show just how easy it makes this fight

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JAZ7Aayi9Z4

Wow that's so cheap... and I'm totally going to do it.

tav7623

Mega Man 3 is now in the hole! all that leaves is Ninja Gaiden, but I'll save that for another day because I honestly didn't expect to fly through the other two games this quickly.

Andrew.

Banned
You guys work fast. Hot shit son. I just got to the first mansion in CV2 and the invisible platforms are pissing me off.

tav7623

I think that's Berkley Mansion right? if it is and I remember this correctly then you need to have the white crystal equipped in order to see the invisible platforms. If you don't have the white crystal then you need to go to the town of Jova and buy it from a shop for 50 hearts.

Andrew.

Banned
I think that's Berkley Mansion right? if it is and I remember this correctly then you need to have the white crystal equipped in order to see the invisible platforms. If you don't have the white crystal then you need to go to the town of Jova and buy it from a shop for 50 hearts.

Oh shit, I DO have the white crystal. Got that, holy water, daggers and the chain whip so far. Thanks dude!

Het_Nkik

I could not beat CV2 without a guide. It's not a hard game because of enemy encounters or really difficult platforming or anything, but figuring out what you need to do to make your way through the game is damn tough.

I might start CV3 tonight if I don't get busy.

I would try to complete blaster master but with no save or password system i dont think i can :(

hmmmmmmm well i never beat Metroid without a pw so i might go for that.
now to find two other games

Darias

Smart assed friend says "So, did you use save states?"

Yeah, I did.

I bought the game when I was eight. I finished it at thirty two.

I think that's enough of an accomplishment.

>.<

Andrew.

Banned
Nice one Darias. I never knew the protag in Blaster Master was a little blue haired kid with a frog buddy.

Spoilers man!

Nice one Darias. I never knew the protag in Blaster Master was a little blue haired kid with a frog buddy.

Spoilers man!

Yeah the plot is pretty weird. Something about how he was a normal kid with a pet frog, and his frog jumped down a hole, and he followed it and discovered a crazy robot vehicle, and the whole goal of the game was to save his pet frog. Or something.

sinseers

Wish I could take part, but strapping into RC Pro Am will just make me punch a hole in the wall like I did as a youngster. Athena.....I even called a hintline on how to beat the final Boss, was walked through on where to find the hammer to beat the boss and the hammer was not there, so thats out. I cant think of a third game that i couldnt beat.....those are the 2 that haunt me to this day.

Link1110

Played Viper a bit today. Got to the second level. I found out that the soundtrack is by Yoko Shimomura, pretty cool to learn that after all these years. Anyway, the quest to get some pants on will continue tonight most likely.

For my 3rd game I think I'll go with Mario 2. The system screws up the music but its mostly one song and I can provably play a remix of it the whole time

tav7623

Played Viper a bit today. Got to the second level. I found out that the soundtrack is by Yoko Shimomura, pretty cool to learn that after all these years. Anyway, the quest to get some pants on will continue tonight most likely.

For my 3rd game I think I'll go with Mario 2. The system screws up the music but its mostly one song and I can provably play a remix of it the whole time

I got that you're gonna play Viper and Mario 2, but unless I missed something you only listed those 2 games......which has me wondering, what are you gonna choose for your 3rd game?

Darias

Yeah the plot is pretty weird. Something about how he was a normal kid with a pet frog, and his frog jumped down a hole, and he followed it and discovered a crazy robot vehicle, and the whole goal of the game was to save his pet frog. Or something.

Except there's an incongruity, because in the beginning he has brown hair.

I have way to many games to play, but I might jump on board. If it has to be three, it'd be:

Mega man 2 (I just breezed through 2 bosses in about 15 minutes - maybe this isn't as hard as I remembered?)

The Legend of Zelda. I'll use a guide. I have no excuse for never beating it. I am ashamed.

Castlevania? I never played the first one. Is it actually good? If not Castlevania, then maybe NES Kirby.

tav7623

I have way to many games to play, but I might jump on board. If it has to be three, it'd be:

Mega man 2 (I just breezed through 2 bosses in about 15 minutes - maybe this isn't as hard as I remembered?)

The Legend of Zelda. I'll use a guide. I have no excuse for never beating it. I am ashamed.

Castlevania? I never played the first one. Is it actually good? If not Castlevania, then maybe NES Kirby.

I thought the same thing when I started playing Mega Man 3 then I hit the 4 Doc Robot sections (where you play against 2 Doc Robots with 2 power ups from 2 of the Mega Man 2 bosses in each section)

Castlevania is a pretty good game, but it is challenging as hell especially when you get half way through and get hit by the sudden difficulty bump. Also the last two areas of the game are a bit of a nightmare especially Death's Hallway (the hallway before the Death boss battle).

As for the NES Kirby game, well prior to today I had never played this game (got it for .30 on the Wii U) and despite the confusing (to me at least) controls I find the game to be pretty easy so far.

Anyway I don't think you can go wrong with either of these two games

tav7623

I'd like to actually beat Fester's Quest one day, but that would require finding both a copy and superhuman patience.

Dat music though, man

Well finding a copy should be pretty easy considering it goes for about $3 (cart only) - $25 (cart, box, and manual) used on ebay, as for the superhuman patience part.........well that might take awhile

Het_Nkik

Tonight's retro vacation:

Hm, the TV came out looking like it's leaning forward in this one. Like some kind of foreboding looming. Seems appropriate given the game.

I'll only get to play for an hour or so so I'll see how far I can get tonight.

EDIT: Only made it to the third level after the branching path before I had to go to sleep. The exploding jelly fish are awful. I went up the bell tower on a lark and fought Grant even though I didn't plan on recruiting him, then forgot the game made you do the whole level in reverse to leave, so that's where most of my time went last night.

Also, the opening dialog is hilarious. Like something a second grader would write.

"During 15th Century Europe, there lived a person named Dracula.
He practiced sorcery in order to create a bad world filled with evil."

lol

Dremark

Banned

It's one of those games that had thier story changed drastically when localized iirc. I think all the cut scenes were redone for the us version.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say

I liked the concept behind Viper... it's not every day when you play a game that has you taking down South American drug lords.

Andrew.

Banned
I got somewhat distracted by Pandora's Tower last night, but tonight Im going to be putting dents into StarTropics and Simons Quest.

And Fine Ham, good luck with Fester dude. Yet another classic Sunsoft hair puller outer.

tav7623

Hey guys,

A thought just popped in my head, after this challenge is done there needs to be a SNES/Genesis 3 game challenge.

Top Bottom