• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The NES Spring Challenge - 3 games you've never completed

Andrew.

Banned
Hey guys,

A thought just popped in my head, after this challenge is done there needs to be a SNES/Genesis 3 game challenge.

Im totally down for that.

Maybe then I could finally beat Secret of Mana or Kid Chameleon. It should be any three 16-bit titles so peeps have the option to mix n match systems.

Het_Nkik

Hey guys,

A thought just popped in my head, after this challenge is done there needs to be a SNES/Genesis 3 game challenge.

I'm game. I have both Contra III and Contra: Hard Corps coming in from eBay right now so no matter which console we go with, I'm going to be playing some Contra.

EDIT: Or if we go with Andrew's plan, two Contras!

Andrew.

Banned
I'm game. I have both Contra III and Contra: Hard Corps coming in from eBay right now so no matter which console we go with, I'm going to be playing some Contra.

EDIT: Or if we go with Andrew's plan, two Contras!

Good luck with Hard Corps man. That is THE hardest Contra Ive ever had the pleasure of experiencing. It's so good though.

Cyan, how did you fare with StarTropics? That's what I got going on right now..

Het_Nkik

I did something like this a couple years ago. Hooked up the old NES, and over the course of a few weeks finally beat Castlevania I & III, Ninja Gaiden I & II (fuck III), Star Tropics, and Zelda II.

Ninja Gaiden III isn't THAT bad. It's the most fair (in terms of enemies not respawning when you move the screen a millimeter). It's just the lack of infinite continues that makes it hard since you don't have a lot of chances to learn all the levels. HOWEVER, there are two spots in the game where you can stack a bunch of lives which should make it beatable if you can beat the first two.

EDIT: I love me some Contra games (1, 2, Shattered Soldier, 4, ReBirth, Hard Corps: Uprising) but somehow I've managed to go my whole life without ever playing III or Hard Corps. Looking forward to it so much. I'm going to have to call my brother up and have him come over to play since I grew up playing the first NES game with him.

tav7623

Yeah we definitely gotta allow all 16 bit games, anyways I already got my three games picked out. They are going to be SNES "classics" Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past, Super Metroid, and Super Mario World. The reason I picked these games is because I never got the opportunity to play these games growing up (except for SMW which I briefly got to play at a Walmart when the SNES came out) since I was a Genesis kid.

Andrew.

Banned
Yeah we definitely gotta allow all 16 bit games, anyways I already got my three games picked out. They are going to be SNES "classics" Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past, Super Metroid, and Super Mario World. The reason I picked these games is because I never got the opportunity to play these games growing up (except for SMW which I briefly got to play at a Walmart when the SNES came out) since I was a Genesis kid.

I was a Genny kid too. You mean to tell me you've never experienced LttP or Super Metroid? Damn dude, what I would give to experience those games for the first time again.

Darias

I would like to speak to the person willing to tackle Deadly Towers.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deadly_Towers

Rubas' palace is presented in one-point perspective. The screen scrolls sideways only, except in bell towers, where the screen scrolls vertically. Prince Myer can walk in eight directions, and attacks by throwing a sword. The player earns coins (a currency called ludder) by killing monsters, and can trade ludder at shops in the palace for new equipment. The shops are in fixed locations throughout the palace, but the inventory may change.
The palace is vast, and has ten labyrinthine dungeons. The first dungeon-maze has 167 screens, and the tenth has 235.[5] Seven of the ten dungeons leads to a bell tower, at the top of which is a boss.
Hidden throughout the palace are invisible portals to a secret area called the Parallel Zone, where the player can find equipment superior to that available in the shops.

tav7623

I was a Genny kid too. You mean to tell me you've never experienced LttP or Super Metroid? Damn dude, what I would give to experience those games for the first time again.

Nope, I honestly never got to experience those games (nor have I played classic SNES games like Yoshi's Island, Super Punch Out!, Super Mario Kart, Super Star Wars Trilogy, Contra III, Earthbound, Final Fantasy III, Chrono Trigger, Secret of Mana, and a slew of others), but now that I have a Wii U I've been slowly working on finally going through the Wii/Wii U VC catalog and start experiencing all these classic SNES games. In fact I recently bought both SMW & Super Castlevania IV through Wii mode and I gotta say I'm loving Super Castlevania IV so far what with the whipping in 8 directions and the f*(kin moonwalkin :p.

tav7623

Hey guys, I'm playing Ninja Gaiden and I'm stuck on the 4th screen of Act 5-2 where you have wall jump down in order to get to the lower right ledge. do y'all have any tips on how to get past this section?

Edit: Never mind I finally got by it through shear dumb luck

Andrew.

Banned
Hey guys, I'm playing Ninja Gaiden and I'm stuck on the 4th screen of Act 5-2 where you have wall jump down in order to get to the lower right ledge. do y'all have any tips on how to get past this section?

Edit: Never mind I finally got by it through shear dumb luck

yeahhhhh boyyyyy nice man

Just finished Chapter 2 in CrapTropics saving Eccos moms other son

zG9HCsM.jpg

tav7623

OK, I'm taking a break from Ninja Gaiden for the night cause if I don't I'm gonna end up throwing my 3DS because of the total clusterf&*k that is 6-2,6-3, and the final boss.

Side Note: Just watched the AVGN Ninja Gaiden episode and they forgot to mention the damn birds doing instant kills on ladders during in the final act.

Het_Nkik

Once you run through those last areas of Ninja Gaiden a good few dozen times you should eventually learn how to make it to the end with minimal damage. My strategy for beating the last boss was to learn where all the diagonal fire ninpo was, collect all of that and only that (and some health [or was it an extra life?]) on my way to the boss room, and then just unload it on the boss till dead. Spoiler:
Then to die on the next form of the boss and rinse and repeat since the bosses you kill stay dead so you just have to do that a few times till all three last bosses are dead.

daveo42

Banned
Wow...pretty glad I stumbled upon this thread. I missed out on a ton of NES games due to not having until 1993 which died shortly after I got it (2nd hand from a family member who gave it to me at a funeral) and have wanted to get into some of the classics.

Any suggestions on where to start? I'd like to tackle Legend of Zelda and Metroid, but not sure what else I should pick up and play. There are a few I have beaten like Jackal and River City Ransom thanks to one of my friends, but I know there are a ton more out there.

Het_Nkik

daveo, these are my favorite NES games (minus ones you say you beat):

Contra
Dragon Warrior IV
Mother
Guerrilla War
The Legend of Zelda
Metal Storm
Mike Tyson's Punch-Out!!
Ninja Gaiden trilogy
Super Mario Bros. 2
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles II

tav7623

Once you run through those last areas of Ninja Gaiden a good few dozen times you should eventually learn how to make it to the end with minimal damage. My strategy for beating the last boss was to learn where all the diagonal fire ninpo was, collect all of that and only that (and some health [or was it an extra life?]) on my way to the boss room, and then just unload it on the boss till dead. Spoiler:
Then to die on the next form of the boss and rinse and repeat since the bosses you kill stay dead so you just have to do that a few times till all three last bosses are dead.

Thanks for the tips Het_Nkik I'll definitely give that a try when I pick the game back up tomorrow.

tav7623

Wow...pretty glad I stumbled upon this thread. I missed out on a ton of NES games due to not having until 1993 which died shortly after I got it (2nd hand from a family member who gave it to me at a funeral) and have wanted to get into some of the classics.

Any suggestions on where to start? I'd like to tackle Legend of Zelda and Metroid, but not sure what else I should pick up and play. There are a few I have beaten like Jackal and River City Ransom thanks to one of my friends, but I know there are a ton more out there.

Other than the ones Het_Nkik mentioned there's also

the Castlevania trilogy
Metal Gear & Snake's Revenge
Mega Man series (1-8)
Ducktales
Chip n' Dale Rescue Rangers
Double Dragon

daveo42

Banned
daveo, these are my favorite NES games (minus ones you say you beat):

Contra
Dragon Warrior IV
Mother
Guerrilla War
The Legend of Zelda
Metal Storm
Mike Tyson's Punch-Out!!
Ninja Gaiden trilogy
Super Mario Bros. 2
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles II

Other than the ones Het_Nkik mentioned there's also

the Castlevania trilogy
Metal Gear & Snake's Revenge
Mega Man series (1-8)
Ducktales
Chip n' Dale Rescue Rangers
Double Dragon

Thanks guys for a good list to start off with.

Het_Nkik

Nice! Feels good right? First time I beat it was a good 20 years after the first time I played it, and had played it sporadically inbetween that time. To FINALLY beat that fucking game that seemed so impossible.... it's just awesome.

In other news, Castlevania III was kicking my ass all night long. Couldn't beat the pirate ship even though I've done it in the past. Made it to the boss several times, but usually with low health and only a life or two left. It's the damn crows, man. Their swoop-in pattern is too fast and sometimes after they swoop past me, they'll swoop in again from off-screen and then I'll get hit-back'd right into a pit. What is up with birds being so annoying in NES games.

tav7623

Nice! Feels good right? First time I beat it was a good 20 years after the first time I played it, and had played it sporadically inbetween that time. To FINALLY beat that fucking game that seemed so impossible.... it's just awesome.

In other news, Castlevania III was kicking my ass all night long. Couldn't beat the pirate ship even though I've done it in the past. Made it to the boss several times, but usually with low health and only a life or two left. It's the damn crows, man. Their swoop-in pattern is too fast and sometimes after they swoop past me, they'll swoop in again from off-screen and then I'll get hit-back'd right into a pit. What is up with birds being so annoying in NES games.

Yeah, it definitely feels awesome

Yeah, I hate the d@mn birds in most NES games as well, but give it time and you'll persevere.

Edit: Scans from NP Vol. 18 for CV III have been added below

tav7623

Nintendo Power CV III Guide Map Key

H = Big Heart
S = Silver Cross
I = Invincibility Potion
M = Multipliers
P = Pocket Watch
B = Boomerang
A = Axe
D = Dagger
W = Sacred Water

Section 1

Well I finally did it, I beat Castlevania

tumblr_mlcpn1TaNv1sos833o1_1280.jpg

Nice work! I finished Castlevania for the first time maybe a month ago. Beating Death in particular released a kind of adrenaline that I hadn't felt for a long time!

I think I may just take part in this challenge, am going home for study break tomorrow and I have The Simpsons: Bartman Meets Radioactive Man at home. It was the first NES game I got, I was 4 years old, and to this day I have never finished it.
220px-Bartman_Meets_Radioactive_Man_Cover.jpg

Het_Nkik

See that room directly to the left of the big "B 4-0E"? The one with the three pits? Two crows are in there and I hate them so much. Been knocked into pits so many times. Then when you go down the stairs from that room there's another crow as you're walking down the stairs and you only have a second to get off the stairs and turn around and hit him. And then there's one more crow right after that that hits me every time. I've found all the meat on the level already (trust me, I whip every wall I come to) but there's none between my crow problem and the boss. I'll just have to keep practicing on the crows till I get the timing and angle of their swoops down.

EDIT: Holy crap, some scans appeared while I was typing that lol

EDIT 2: That scan about the crows is good. I'll try to get to the far right platform as quick as I can so I have more room to deal with them.

Andrew.

Banned
I think I may just take part in this challenge, am going home for study break tomorrow and I have The Simpsons: Bartman Meets Radioactive Man at home. It was the first NES game I got, I was 4 years old, and to this day I have never finished it.

Maaaan. That's the ONE Simpsons game on NES I never got to play because I had moved onto Genesis by then.

tav7623

Nice work! I finished Castlevania for the first time maybe a month ago. Beating Death in particular released a kind of adrenaline that I hadn't felt for a long time!

Thanks! and good luck with Bartman Meets Radioactive Man

tav7623

See that room directly to the left of the big "B 4-0E"? The one with the three pits? Two crows are in there and I hate them so much. Been knocked into pits so many times. Then when you go down the stairs from that room there's another crow as you're walking down the stairs and you only have a second to get off the stairs and turn around and hit him. And then there's one more crow right after that that hits me every time. I've found all the meat on the level already (trust me, I whip every wall I come to) but there's none between my crow problem and the boss. I'll just have to keep practicing on the crows till I get the timing and angle of their swoops down.

EDIT: Holy crap, some scans appeared while I was typing that lol

Yeah, it had been awhile since I played this game so I couldn't remember where exactly those crows were at (and the map I originally linked to didn't show item/enemy locations) which is why I ended up pretty much scanning the whole section on the pirate ship, hope you find them useful.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
Ninja Gaiden III isn't THAT bad. It's the most fair (in terms of enemies not respawning when you move the screen a millimeter). It's just the lack of infinite continues that makes it hard since you don't have a lot of chances to learn all the levels. HOWEVER, there are two spots in the game where you can stack a bunch of lives which should make it beatable if you can beat the first two.

EDIT: I love me some Contra games (1, 2, Shattered Soldier, 4, ReBirth, Hard Corps: Uprising) but somehow I've managed to go my whole life without ever playing III or Hard Corps. Looking forward to it so much. I'm going to have to call my brother up and have him come over to play since I grew up playing the first NES game with him.

If you're playing the SNES Ninja Gaiden Trilogy version of Ninja Gaiden 3 (and also, I believe, the Famicom version), there are unlimited continues... so that version is still to this day the only NG I ever beat (even though I can make it up to the final boss in 2, and I've made it to 6-2 in the original).

tav7623

If you're playing the SNES Ninja Gaiden Trilogy version of Ninja Gaiden 3 (and also, I believe, the Famicom version), there are unlimited continues... so that version is still to this day the only NG I ever beat (even though I can make it up to the final boss in 2, and I've made it to 6-2 in the original).

I did not know that there was a SNES Ninja Gaiden game, learn something new every day.

Het_Nkik

Alright, beat the pirate ship in CV3. The strategy guide for the boss (staying behind the left blocks for the first part) that tav posted really helped so thanks for that. Level 5 is kicking my ass now, though. Made it to the Frankenstein (mid?) boss but no further. But I'm tired so I'm going to bed.

I'm also using djtiesto's trick of taking a pic of the password screen with my phone to keep track of my progress.

I don't think I'll be participating, but if I were, I could pick just about any NES game. When I look back on it, I have more beloved NES classics that I never actually finished than those I did finish.

tav7623

Alright, beat the pirate ship in CV3. The strategy guide for the boss (staying behind the left blocks for the first part) that tav posted really helped so thanks for that. Level 5 is kicking my ass now, though. Made it to the Frankenstein (mid?) boss but no further. But I'm tired so I'm going to bed.

I'm also using djtiesto's trick of taking a pic of the password screen with my phone to keep track of my progress.

Glad that helped, and from the sound of things you took the short cut to the castle cause Frankenstein's Monster is (at least according to the NP strategy guide) the first boss of the castle. Also I'll post some more scans from my NP CVIII guide below, but there won't be as many scans because they don't go into full detail on this section (the give a brief blurb about the Frankenstein boss strategy in the magazine, but the map of the area is on the back of the pull out poster) like they did for the earlier levels.

tav7623

Hey guys, I was digging through the few classic (pre - future) NP's (6 issues) I have and I came across this tip for StarTropics and I know that some of you are currently playing/going to play this game as part of the challenge so I thought I'd share these scans.

tav7623

Sorry about that, haven't quite figured how to resize the photos so I'll just post links to my tumblr til I do figure it out.

So I sat myself down to finally play Bartman Meets Radioactive Man, after fumbling around with my Toploader NES and a dodgy RF cable, I ended up resorting to the front loader.

And I finally finished it. It was the first game I ever owned, and here I am 20 years later having actually finally finished it. The feeling of accomplishment is just... just so great.

IrishNinja

i like this idea! i'd totally cheat and use games i never knew of/couldn't play then though:

Sweet Home
Earthbound Zero
Uninvited

or something like that!

tav7623

So I sat myself down to finally play Bartman Meets Radioactive Man, after fumbling around with my Toploader NES and a dodgy RF cable, I ended up resorting to the front loader.

And I finally finished it. It was the first game I ever owned, and here I am 20 years later having actually finally finished it. The feeling of accomplishment is just... just so great.

Congrats!

Top Bottom