• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The NES Spring Challenge - 3 games you've never completed

Het_Nkik

Congrats on the Bartman Meets Radioactive Man victory. I've never played that particular Simpsons game but I remember Virtual Bart driving me to near insanity as a kid.

I beat Frankenstein in Castlevania III today so now I'm on level 6 which is all aqueducts and stuff. Made it to the boss but he killed me. Tav's Frankenstein boss strategy guide helped me again. What's it say about the two-headed aqueduct boss?

tav7623

I beat Frankenstein in Castlevania III today so now I'm on level 6 which is all aqueducts and stuff. Made it to the boss but he killed me. Tav's Frankenstein boss strategy guide helped me again. What's it say about the two-headed aqueduct boss?

Here's what it says about the Dragon Duo boss

tumblr_mlntdvb0Rj1sos833o1_1280.jpg

baphomet

So I've finished 2 games thus far. I finished Little Nemo for the first time on my NES a few days ago. After that I started playing Startropics, but I gave up on it after a few hours. Decided to play Kirby on the Wii U eshop instead. Finished it a few minutes ago for the first time. Never played it when it came out because I already had a genesis and had already moved on from NES.

Only need to finish Ninja Gaiden II, and I'll be done with my 3. I can play through the first one pretty damn quick. I can get a few seconds away from the speedrunning records on quite a few stages so II shouldn't be too hard after I play it a bit. I'll be playing it on my NES so there will be no save states or anything like that.

tav7623

So I've finished 2 games thus far. I finished Little Nemo for the first time on my NES a few days ago. After that I started playing Startropics, but I gave up on it after a few hours. Decided to play Kirby on the Wii U eshop instead. Finished it a few minutes ago for the first time. Never played it when it came out because I already had a genesis and had already moved on from NES.

Only need to finish Ninja Gaiden II, and I'll be done with my 3. I can play through the first one pretty damn quick. I can get a few seconds away from the speedrunning records on quite a few stages so II shouldn't be too hard after I play it a bit. I'll be playing it on my NES so there will be no save states or anything like that.

Congrats! and good luck with Ninja Gaiden II

tav7623

Viper keeps getting arrested for indecent exposure on the 3rd level no matter what I do .(

Why do you keep letting him get arrested for huh? I thought you were his friend, you're suppose to be there to put a lid on that sh!t while he's out having a night on the town :p

In all seriousness though, it sounds like level 3 is kicking your butt, have you tried checking out Youtube videos like this one to see if it helps out a little bit?

Morfeo

The Chuck Norris of Peace
Hey, this is the perfect topic for me. I'm playing Silent Hill for the PS1-replays right now, but will definitely consider joining here as well when I'm done with that. As for games I havent played yet there are of course a ton, but I think I will go with these:

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles - yes the infamous original. I think the difficulty of the water level in this game is waaaay overblown, but the game gets pretty tough later on, and I've never finished it. Time to put that to rest.

Metal Gear - I own both the MSX-version (on subsistence) and the Nes-version, but I think I might cheat and go with the MSX-version - at least first.

Bionic Commando - I havent played this much, but I cant get anywhere in it. Not being able to jump is just so weird. Guess I just need some practice (and maybe a code for infinite lives or something if that exist).

Ok, a fourth one if Metal Gear on the MSX doesnt quite fit, would be the original Adventure of Lolo that i've not only never completed but never played. Got a copy last year that is dying to be played! I also have Batman an Return of the Joker unbeaten, but I'm not sure if I will ever be able to remedy that :(

I would also love to play the following games that I own:
Crystallis - have the NTSC-version, but right now only a PAL-Nes so the speed will be bad. Waiting for my NTSC-toploader to get a mod I think.

Final Fantasy III - or rather the DS-remake. I count this still, since the original was for the NES.

Dragon Warrior III and IV - well for the GBC and DS :)

Willow - same as with Crystallis, I own the NTSC-version, but would play with wrong speed on Pal-Nes

Ninja Gaiden II - same as above

Star Tropics 2 - same as above

Kid Icarus - same as above

Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves - same as above

And this reminds me that I still havent beaten that last boss in Rygar - guess that is the game to start with if I ever do this :)

tav7623

Man, sounds like you got a lot of games to play, but some of them I honestly don't think would work for this challenge since there are 2 stipulations/criteria you have to meet which is that they have to be the NES version (but they can be played on other systems like Wii,3DS,etc if you don't have a NES or the original game cart) and they have to be games you've never beaten/completed.

Morfeo

Man, sounds like you got a lot of games to play, but some of them I honestly don't think would work for this challenge since there are 2 stipulations/criteria you have to meet which is that they have to be the NES version (but they can be played on other systems like Wii,3DS,etc) and they have to be games you've never beaten/completed.

Yeah true. To be fair, there is only Rygar, Turtles, Lolo and Bionic Commando if I only count the Pal-games that I own for the Nes, and still haven't beaten.

tav7623

Yeah true. To be fair, there is only Rygar, Turtles, Lolo and Bionic Commando if I only count the Pal-games that I own for the Nes, and still haven't beaten.

That's still a good selection of games without including NTSC games/versions and I'm definitely interested in hearing how you fare once you start the challenge especially against Bionic Commando & TMNT.

baphomet

And I just finished my 3rd game which wa Ninja Gaiden 2. I've played it off and on for years, but never beat it. I prefer the first one, and play through it regularly. The second is definitely harder. I used the infinite lives trick in 4-2(I think) in order to make it through the level 7. If I were a kid I would have broken so many controllers on that shit.

Just for the hell of it I playe through Ducktales as well. What happens if the other guy beats you to the treasure at the very end?

tav7623

And I just finished my 3rd game which wa Ninja Gaiden 2. I've played it off and on for years, but never beat it. I prefer the first one, and play through it regularly. The second is definitely harder. I used the infinite lives trick in 4-2(I think) in order to make it through the level 7. If I were a kid I would have broken so many controllers on that shit.

Just for the hell of it I playe through Ducktales as well. What happens if the other guy beats you to the treasure at the very end?

Congrats on beating Ninja Gaiden 2!

Second game complete. Another from my childhood that I just never finished, The Flintstones: The Rescue of Dino and Hoppy
I have a feeling that the castle/dungeon level was what got me as a kid, scary atmossphere (for a kid anyway) and there's some devilishly difficult sections.

Was one of those games that just kinda stopped once you saw the ending sequence. Like, it didn't go back to the menu or anything, just stopped.

Lettuce

Im going to have to wait for the HDMI mod before i play my NES again.....cant stand composite video looks soooooooooo bad

tav7623

Congrats! NinjaCatfish on beating The Flinstones:Rescue of Dino & Hoppy

@Lettuce - you might not have to wait too long, check out this bad boy, or your lookin for something different than that you could check out this forum as well.

Morfeo

That's still a good selection of games without including NTSC games/versions and I'm definitely interested in hearing how you fare once you start the challenge especially against Bionic Commando & TMNT.

True. I will be on it after I've completed Silent Hill, so probably about next weekend. Will definitely give updates about my (lack of) progress!

IrishNinja

no, i don't know if he does NES, but if so i would've. i went with GameReproductions and while the communication has been solid, i wouldn't recommend them if you're in a hurry. i ordered 2 genesis games (Battlemania 2 & Mega Man: Wily Wars) over a month ago at this point, and they're finally shipping this week or so. no date on the NES ones yet, but they do warn you when you purchase that orders usually ship out 30 days after payment/placing them...still cheaper than the ebay markup, so it's your call!

I just bought a famicom and about 20 or so games, so narrowng it down will be tough. Hmm, I picked up FC Genjin / Bonk and beat it last sunday, so I need two more.

Let's say Ducktales (I beat Ducktales 2 on a rental but never quite finished the first) and Battle of Olympus.

Morfeo

no, i don't know if he does NES, but if so i would've. i went with GameReproductions and while the communication has been solid, i wouldn't recommend them if you're in a hurry. i ordered 2 genesis games (Battlemania 2 & Mega Man: Wily Wars) over a month ago at this point, and they're finally shipping this week or so. no date on the NES ones yet, but they do warn you when you purchase that orders usually ship out 30 days after payment/placing them...still cheaper than the ebay markup, so it's your call!

Ok thanks. Ive been a collector for quite some time, but are just now getting into all this repro stuff which i really love :) Might wait for a better solution and just get and play the snes-games i want in the meantime them.

tav7623

How's the challenge going for everyone? Just wondering cause it's been awfully quiet around here also has anyone who's already completed the challenge decided to do it again?

I'll be going back down to visit my parents after exams are over, and since that's where the NES is, you can bet I'll be completing my third game while I'm down there :D

popyea

Ghosts n Goblins is kicking my ass. Stuck at the midway checkpoint for area 2. I may have screwed myself by accidentally getting the torch weapon.

tav7623

Ghosts n Goblins is kicking my ass. Stuck at the midway checkpoint for area 2. I may have screwed myself by accidentally getting the torch weapon.

That sucks......quick question, where are you getting stuck at? Is it the troll area, the moving platform area, or the area with the boss? I'm wondering cause I just beat this game as part of my second run (which also includes SMB2 and Metroid) and I might be able to help you out with some tips/tricks on how to get past these areas.

popyea

That sucks......quick question, where are you getting stuck at? Is it the troll area, the moving platform area, or the area with the boss? I'm wondering cause I just beat this game as part of my second run (which also includes SMB2 and Metroid) and I might be able to help you out with some tips/tricks on how to get past these areas.

The troll area. My biggest problem is that I don't know how to avoid getting hit by a bird in the back while attacking the trolls. I have to keep stunning the troll until it dies or else it will run at me and kill me. So whenever a bird comes at me from behind I can't turn around to kill it.

I already kill the last two trolls from behind the wall so that I can take those last ladders safely. And I also try to situate myself so that all the trolls on that floor are to one side of me. Any other tips?

Andrew.

Banned
Man I suck. I totally forgot I started this. Thanks for keeping it alive guys.

I really should get back to Simons Quest...

tav7623

The troll area. My biggest problem is that I don't know how to avoid getting hit by a bird in the back while attacking the trolls. I have to keep stunning the troll until it dies or else it will run at me and kill me. So whenever a bird comes at me from behind I can't turn around to kill it.

I already kill the last two trolls from behind the wall so that I can take those last ladders safely. And I also try to situate myself so that all the trolls on that floor are to one side of me. Any other tips?

Well it sounds like you are doing kinda of what I've done, but I was able to get the trolls killed quickly enough (using the knife) that I could get the birds before they got to me. So the only tips I can give you are to A. Get the knife and keep the knife until level 6 (when you need to grab the shield), B. Spend a couple of minutes/lives watching the trolls above you and how they react to where you are positioned below them, it reveals a pattern & a way to easily manipulate them into going where you want them to go (at least temporarily), and C. Watch this 12 min speedrun (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q4HsrGXFKYI) , specifically the 2:16 to the 2:58 mark for a different/unique strategy towards getting through this area, this video can also help give you an idea on how to complete other levels. I hope that these tips will help you out.....oh one other thing you might want to also watch the Angry Video Game Nerd episode (unless you don't want spoilers and can put up with a lot of cussing) cause it has some good tips as well, you can find the episode here (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=94Y6y1MOoEo).

popyea

Well it sounds like you are doing kinda of what I've done, but I was able to get the trolls killed quickly enough (using the knife) that I could get the birds before they got to me. So the only tips I can give you are to A. Get the knife and keep the knife until level 6 (when you need to grab the shield), B. Spend a couple of minutes/lives watching the trolls above you and how they react to where you are positioned below them, it reveals a pattern & a way to easily manipulate them into going where you want them to go (at least temporarily), and C. Watch this 12 min speedrun (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q4HsrGXFKYI) , specifically the 2:16 to the 2:58 mark for a different/unique strategy towards getting through this area, this video can also help give you an idea on how to complete other levels. I hope that these tips will help you out.....oh one other thing you might want to also watch the Angry Video Game Nerd episode (unless you don't want spoilers and can put up with a lot of cussing) cause it has some good tips as well, you can find the episode here (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=94Y6y1MOoEo).

Thanks dude. I was able to get past the troll house using save states, but I think I'll start again and avoid picking up the shitty torch. I think it shouldn't be too bad getting back to that point. Anyone know if it's possible to get to a point using 1 player, and then continue from that point with a second player? Or will you always have to start from level 1 again?

tav7623

Thanks dude. I was able to get past the troll house using save states, but I think I'll start again and avoid picking up the shitty torch. I think it shouldn't be too bad getting back to that point. Anyone know if it's possible to get to a point using 1 player, and then continue from that point with a second player? Or will you always have to start from level 1 again?

You're welcome and to answer your question no, you can't have a 2nd player pick up where player 1 left off. If you're playing in 1 player mode and a 2nd player wants to join they won't be able to until player 1 dies, then selects 2 player mode. Selecting 2 player mode then automatically restarts the game and you then each take turns playing the game starting at level 1. When one player dies the game switches to the other player, but the other player does not start where the other player died and vice versa.

tav7623

Hey guys, thought I'd give y'all an update on my second run at this challenge, today I beat the 2nd game on my new list Super Mario Bros 2. (since I was playing this on the Wii U I did use save states, but I tried using them as sparingly as possible) leaving Metroid as the only game on my list I have yet to beat.

Top Bottom