• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How do I get over the loss of my imaginary daughter?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MikeDip

God bless all my old friends/And god bless me too, why pretend?
I know the title makes me sound insane, but trust me, I'm not.

Ever since I started taking meds for my OCD I've been sleeping a lot more but more importantly my dreams have also become extremely vivid and realistic. A few days ago I had this dream that I had a daughter and you would not believe how realistic it was. When I woke up it felt like years of my life were erased, and now I no longer have a daughter.

I was there for her birth, helped her with homework, drew pictures together, vacations, we had some fights, hosted birthday parties, etc. How do I get over this empty feeling now? Hell even if I went and had a real daughter, she wouldn't be the same.

Is this just something time will fix? I've never lost a loved one yet "in real life" so I'm completely out of my league here.

ahoyhoy

Unconfirmed Member
Any chances you might have been exposed to a rogue space probe recently?

I'm getting serious "The Inner Light" vibes here.

Apply what you learned from the situation when you get a real daughter. Remember that she isn't real and feeling bad won't change the fact that she never existed.

Sliver

Ever since I started taking meds for my OCD I've been sleeping a lot more but more importantly my dreams have also become extremely vivid and realistic. A few days ago I had this dream that I had a daughter and you would not believe how realistic it was. When I woke up it felt like years of my life were erased, and now I no longer have a daughter.

I was there for her birth, helped her with homework, drew pictures together, vacations, we had some fights, hosted birthday parties, etc. How do I get over this empty feeling now? Hell even if I went and had a real daughter, she wouldn't be the same.

Is this just something time will fix? I've never lost a loved one yet "in real life" so I'm completely out of my league here.

lID12u8.gif

desh

I feel like memories from dreams are harder to hold on to, so I'm thinking that over time, the memory will fade.

I feel this way sometimes.

I'm in a very happy relationship, but every once in a while I'll have a dream that I'm someone else, living a different life with different people. I'll meet these amazing people in my dreams with no memory of my waking life and feel a deep sense of loss immediately after I wake up. It goes away as my mind slowly wakes up, but I can actually sympathize with the OP's feeling of losing someone close. Dreams are basically junk memories though - they fade quickly.

MikeDip

Maybe you crossed over into another dimension where you have a daughter and the dream was your memories in that universe.

It was so realistic that I could see less sane people believing that's what happened to them. I wish this was true so I could go back to sleep and return.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Maybe you crossed over into another dimension where you have a daughter and the dream was your memories in that universe.

My guess is that she is not only real, but alive and well. But MikeDip was in a bad accident, and now he's living in a coma dream where his daughter is only a figment of his imagination. His love for her still exists in this state of consciousness, and it transcends the illusions of his dream. Hope he pulls through.

If that's not the case, there's not really much you can do to control your mind. I'm sure you'll forget about it soon enough.

Kisaya

Is it weird that I sorta feel for the OP? There have been times where I've grown attached to some dreams I've had, so I could kinda get what he means.

I'm sorry man :( Try talking to a professional if it doesn't get better over time.

My guess is that she is not only real, but alive and well. But MikeDip was in a bad accident, and now he's living in a coma dream where his daughter is only a figment of his imagination. Hope he pulls through.

Then aren't we also figments of MikeDip's imagination then? If so I hope he stays in a coma forever.

Woorloog

Banned
I understand how real feeling dreams feel. I hate those. I guess i should say i'm lucky i've never felt loss of someone in dream, my dreams usually consist terror, running away and loneliness (in a sense of of being the only one in the world, not in that i'd need company).
The worst is when you can remember the dream, when it is vivid, lucid but without me realizing it is a dream yet (at that point, my dreams start breaking down).

As for what to do for the feel... wait. Nothing helps but time i think. You could talk about the dream with someone, might ease your mind. Other than that, i don't think there's anything you can do, outside therapy. Not sure if there exists therapy for this kind of issue.

MikeDip

I'm sorry but if you're actually broken up about a dream irl, no matter how real the dream, you're riding that line of sanity. See a therapist if you don't already have one.

Of course I have a therapist, that's how I got my OCD meds. I wouldn't even call them normal dreams to be honest, the meds really really make them feel real.

FyreWulff

You need to talk to your professional about this. Some meds like that can give you extremely vivid dreams and nightmares, so they may want to change what they're giving you.

sn00zer

Call a doctor immediatly, they wioll more than likely tell you to stop taking the meds until they can get you to an appointment

akira28

beaten re: brony. but yeah, I had a dream like that once. Just realize that it was a dream and that instead of situations that your imagination and sub-conscious mind create, it's also a way for you to work out emotions and mental stresses as well. So no, no one will ever be like your perfect dream daughter with a perfect parenthood life. But you could feel that feeling of love and feeling of accomplishment in real life if you wanted.

Don't get so focused on the irrelevant part of your dream that you miss the lesson.

Cat Party

Interesting question. The short answer is you don't get over it. The feelings become a part of you and you move on. But yeah, your prescribing physician should be consulted.

And if you do have a child, I promise you it will be better than your dream.

Hex

Banned
Real answer as has been said, seek help.
Jokes aside (and there are many in the hangar bay waiting to take off...) and coddling aside (it is the worst thing that people can do here , but people will because they can not help to do so)...seek professional help.

Of course I have a therapist, that's how I got my OCD meds. I wouldn't even call them normal dreams to be honest, the meds really really make them feel real.

Tell your therapist about the dreams, especially this one, since taking the meds. The whole thing about you having a real daughter that wouldn't be the same as your dream one sounds kinda dangerous. I don't mean this in a bad way, but that's not a sane line of thinking. You should tell your therapist about this as soon as possible.

If you came off the meds, or went onto different ones, you may feel completely different.

peach

I have very vivid dreams, too, and have ever since I was prescribed Zoloft. Pretty sure it's a side effect... I don't really like it because when I wake up in the morning I have to remind myself that those things didn't happen! On the plus side, pre-Zoloft I was waking up in a panic most nights so I was not getting very much sleep.

Ty4on

Is it weird that I sorta feel for the OP? There have been times where I've grown attached to some dreams I've had, so I could kinda get what he means.

I'm sorry man :( Try talking to a professional if it doesn't get better over time.

Never as bad as this, but there have been many relationships in my dreams too that I didn't want to end.

Go back to the psychiatrist. You started taking new brain meds and had a strange, highly abnormal emotional response to something. Better safe than sorry.

FyreWulff

Also do not stop Paxil cold turkey to deal with this.

DO NOT.

YOU WILL HAVE A BAD TIME.

You haven't said you were, but just in case.. don't do it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom