• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How do I get over the loss of my imaginary daughter?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sethos

Banned
Also took some antiarrhythmic drugs a year back, people won't believe the shit this will do to your brain and how much it can mess up your dreams. My medicine had a side-effect labelled as "Nightmares" and I can tell you, I had nightmares and I'm not talking mild "Oh who is in my house, oh I woke up" but shit that made me almost afraid to sleep for days. I asked for a replacement drug shortly after, now I got some nasty stuff that builds up in your bones but hey, no nightmares.

Don't worry about these inane comments man, I know what you are experiencing in another form. This shit is vivid as hell.

MikeDip

God bless all my old friends/And god bless me too, why pretend?
See if you can get yourself committed.

Jesus, it's not like I'm walking around thinking she's still real. My therapist knows these meds make me have vivid dreams, it's just that I've never had one this realistic and it brought along quite a few emotions that I now miss.

jacobs_ladder.jpg

My first thought.

But yeah I know that feel, happens to me a lot.

Worst part is when I get fevers, I get so sick I hallucinate and go back and forth between hallucinating and fever dreams, which means I could for days lose my mind trying to retrieve something I never had. :/

My guess is that she is not only real, but alive and well. But MikeDip was in a bad accident, and now he's living in a coma dream where his daughter is only a figment of his imagination. His love for her still exists in this state of consciousness, and it transcends the illusions of his dream. Hope he pulls through.

If that's not the case, there's not really much you can do to control your mind. I'm sure you'll forget about it soon enough.

I'm not sure if I'm comfortable being a really obscure meta part of someone's coma dream.

It would explain a lot though.

MikeDip

Also do not stop Paxil cold turkey to deal with this.

DO NOT.

YOU WILL HAVE A BAD TIME.

You haven't said you were, but just in case.. don't do it.

I don't plan to, the meds work great to help with my OCD. But you got me curious, what would happen/did you go through it?

MikeDip

but wait a minute she's not dead, or is she? You're just somewhere where she isnt.

No, she didn't die in the dream. The last thing I remember is we were at the park and I was pushing her on the swing.

FyreWulff

Jesus, it's not like I'm walking around thinking she's still real. My therapist knows these meds make me have vivid dreams, it's just that I've never had one this realistic and it brought along quite a few emotions that I now miss.

I had a pretty intense dream where my grandma was suddenly alive and she walked up and gave me a hug.

It felt so real that when I woke up and realized it was just a dream, I had to tear up for a bit to deal with the emotion of it.

It usually will fix itself with time. As far as your brain is concerned, those feelings and emotions were very much real, so there's nothing wrong with having them. You just need to ensure they don't become constant and intrusive.

I don't plan to, the meds work great to help with my OCD. But you got me curious, what would happen/did you go through it?

Yeah I was a dumbass and stopped it cold turkey without telling anyone.

It feels like (emotionally) you're in a car going down a steep hill with no brakes. And I'd only been on it for a short period of time.

FStop7

Banned
I know what you're saying sounds nuts, but I totally get you. I had the same experience.

A few years ago I was prescribed Lexapro to help with frequent anxiety attacks.

While on my prescription I had vivid, powerful dreams. About meeting and losing friends, loved ones, relationships beginning and ending. Some mornings I'd wake up feeling like I'd lived a lifetime in my sleep. And I'd feel emptiness when I realized that these things were just dreams.

I once woke up absolutely seething with anger toward my mom over what had happened in a dream and it took a couple of days for it to fade away. What she did in the dream had absolutely no correlation with anything she'd done in real life. My waking anger toward her was completely irrational. But it was still there and it still took time to fade.

Ultimately, I think these powerful dreams were very helpful to me because it seemed like my subconscious was able to work through a lot of things that contributed to my anxiety, and after a while I felt normal again - even after I stopped the prescription.

I would suggest you do the same - keep letting your mind work through issues. And keep in mind that your feelings are real even though what you dreamed about is not and that you're releasing stuff that's been bottled up inside of you.

Also, remember that increased depression and even suicidal thoughts are side effects of some anti-depressants and that if you're still not feeling better after a while longer then you need to go back to your doctor and try something else.

Not to make light of your situation, but this really reminds me of the Superman/JLU story "For the Man Who Has Everything."

RiZ III

I get these kind of vivid dreams too sometimes. Last night actually. I went to see my ex to apologize for having been a dick to her. We talked for a long time. It felt like I had spent days with her. Woke up and ughh felt horrible. Suddenly missed her like we had just broken up even though it's been years.

leadbelly

Banned
It is weird when you have a dream so vivid that when you wake up, you're not sure if it is real or just a dream. It takes a few minutes to realise. It's such a strange mental state to be in. It makes me wonder why it was so confusing for those couple of minutes.

Syrinx

Unrelated, but I also take an SSRI (Celexa, which I think isn't nearly as strong as Paxil) for my anxiety, and I left my pills at home over the week, and last night I had a dream where my brother had terminal cancer. It was...how do I put this....unsettling.

Doesn't sound anything like what's going on with the OP; never had anything even remotely as vivid as that. But these things can do shit with your dreams.

Right now, paxil. An SSRI.
I didn't think SSRIs would do that kind of shit to you. I take one for OCD too, albeit my OCD symptoms are not very severe. There is a spot on my head I used to pick at until it bled and I eventually had a small bald spot there. It stopped since I started the anti-depressants and other medications.

I'd recommend seeing a therapist about this. It doesn't sound altogether crazy to me. A friend of mine was on wellbutrin for a while and it fucked her up. She had crazy and weird dreams too, so she switched medications.

cheststrongwell

my cake, fuck off
While taking Chantix, I had some crazy, super realistic dreams. The craziest one involved me running around a resort, using a flame thrower(made out of a coffee stir stick) to burn little children. It was awesome and I will never forget that wild night.

I've had tons of dreams where real people that I actually know and grew up with and are part of my family have died. Hell, I've died in my dreams, including a plane crash one within the last week or so. I have always had intensely vivid dreams since my LSD days back in high school. Just realize, THEY ARE NOT REAL...and you'll get over it. The mere fact of even discussing it like this just proves you are putting absolutely no effort into getting over the dream and in fact are trying purposefully to hang onto it. Don't do that.

It usually takes me somewhere between 30 seconds and 5 minutes to get over even my most horrible nightmares...so maybe lay off the meds is all I can recommend.

McLovin

No, she didn't die in the dream. The last thing I remember is we were at the park and I was pushing her on the swing.
What if you pushed her too hard... and when she swung back you hit your head.. like on her butt. You got a serious concussion and your in a coma right now. It's been 10 years but she still comes to visit. Also because of the guilt over what happened she never pooped again. She can do that cuz she's not real.

I gotta try some of these meds holy shit.

I did have a similar thing happen to me though when I was a teenager. I had this super vivid dream where Lacey Chabert was my girlfriend and we lived together and were the most awesomest couple. Then I woke up and was bummed out.

Seriously some forever alone shit even though I had a girlfriend at the time. I almost broke up with her over that lol. Teenagers are fickle.

Dreams are dangerous stuff.
Your chi must have crossed into another dimension, where you really had a daughter.
So right now, she's out there beyond the veil of worlds, crying her eyes out because her daddy has been gone for weeks.

The sad thing is, you can't ever return to a dream world passed :(

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
I feel like this was a plot to something recently. I'm not sure what it was, but it sounds familiar...

Is it weird that I sorta feel for the OP? There have been times where I've grown attached to some dreams I've had, so I could kinda get what he means.

I'm sorry man :( Try talking to a professional if it doesn't get better over time.

I know the feeling. I've had a couple dreams where I met someone, fell in love, and got married only to wake up and realize that none of it was real. It's pretty depressing.
Though not as depressing as when I wake up and find out I don't really have superpowers :'(

MikeDip

I know what you're saying sounds nuts, but I totally get you. I had the same experience.

A few years ago I was prescribed Lexapro to help with frequent anxiety attacks.

While on my prescription I had vivid, powerful dreams. About meeting and losing friends, loved ones, relationships beginning and ending. Some mornings I'd wake up feeling like I'd lived a lifetime in my sleep. And I'd feel emptiness when I realized that these things were just dreams.

I once woke up absolutely seething with anger toward my mom over what had happened in a dream and it took a couple of days for it to fade away. What she did in the dream had absolutely no correlation with anything she'd done in real life. My waking anger toward her was completely irrational. But it was still there and it still took time to fade.

Ultimately, I think these powerful dreams were very helpful to me because it seemed like my subconscious was able to work through a lot of things that contributed to my anxiety, and after a while I felt normal again - even after I stopped the prescription.

I would suggest you do the same - keep letting your mind work through issues. And keep in mind that your feelings are real even though what you dreamed about is not and that you're releasing stuff that's been bottled up inside of you.

Also, remember that increased depression and even suicidal thoughts are side effects of some anti-depressants and that if you're still not feeling better after a while longer then you need to go back to your doctor and try something else.

Yeah, sometimes it does feel like a lifetime has passed. In this case it was 6 years, and it felt so damn real.

Bread

Banned
what if she really existed, and the government came and took away your memories because she found some deep dark secrets

burn it all down

avenge her

Jackpot

Banned
How much time did it feel like was passing in the dream? Even my most realistic dreams feel like 30 minutes of being awake tops.

MikeDip

How much time did it feel like was passing in the dream? Even my most realistic dreams feel like 30 minutes of being awake tops.

For this dream, it was 6 years. The time I was asleep was around 18 hours.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom