• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How do I get over the loss of my imaginary daughter?

Status
Not open for further replies.
For this dream, it was 6 years. The time I was asleep was around 18 hours.

You probably had several dreams in those 18 hours. This was just the dream you woke up during which is why you remember it. Think of how many other imaginary daughters/sons/spouses you've had in your sleeping life that you don't even remember.

lingiii

Banned
I know the title makes me sound insane, but trust me, I'm not.

Ever since I started taking meds for my OCD I've been sleeping a lot more but more importantly my dreams have also become extremely vivid and realistic. A few days ago I had this dream that I had a daughter and you would not believe how realistic it was. When I woke up it felt like years of my life were erased, and now I no longer have a daughter.

I was there for her birth, helped her with homework, drew pictures together, vacations, we had some fights, hosted birthday parties, etc. How do I get over this empty feeling now? Hell even if I went and had a real daughter, she wouldn't be the same.

Is this just something time will fix? I've never lost a loved one yet "in real life" so I'm completely out of my league here.

You should talk to your doctor about this in context of psychological side effects.

MikeDip

God bless all my old friends/And god bless me too, why pretend?
Seriously? How would you adjust back to normal life if the past 6 years of your real life had been zapped away instead of your dream one?

Yes, it feels like years were ripped away, and with them my daughter.

braves01

Banned
This reads like a Kaufman script. My advice to OP is to write a movie script about this experience. That's the only way to keep the memory of your daughter alive.

MikeDip

Was it just you and her? Was there a wife or siblings involved?

Wife and I divorced when she was 2, lots of fighting about bills. No other siblings but the neighbour also had a daughter that would come over for play dates but I really disliked her.

TCKaos

Reminded me of this.

Also, are we talking about lucid dreams here? Were you actively participating or were you a spectator to yourself?

McLovin

Wait what if the drugs gave you time traveling super powers? You get to redo the past six years of your life! But the woman you had your kid with doesn't love you. So now in order to save your future daughter you have to make her fall in love again! I could totally see this as a movie or something.
Wife and I divorced when she was 2, lots of fighting about bills. No other siblings but the neighbour also had a daughter that would come over for play dates but I really disliked her.
I know I'm making fun but that's a freakish amount of detail. Sorry for your loss.

Aske

Ever since I started taking meds for my OCD I've been sleeping a lot more but more importantly my dreams have also become extremely vivid and realistic. A few days ago I had this dream that I had a daughter and you would not believe how realistic it was. When I woke up it felt like years of my life were erased, and now I no longer have a daughter.

I was there for her birth, helped her with homework, drew pictures together, vacations, we had some fights, hosted birthday parties, etc. How do I get over this empty feeling now? Hell even if I went and had a real daughter, she wouldn't be the same.

Is this just something time will fix? I've never lost a loved one yet "in real life" so I'm completely out of my league here.

Yes, this is just something time will fix, and you'll get over it faster than you would if the experience had been real.

Mention this to your doctor because it's important to be open about side-effects of your medication, but don't worry about it. Vivid dreams don't typically signal the onset of an impending psychotic break. As I understand it, they're more likely to occur after a psychotic break - they don't act as triggers or warning signs.

Carcetti

I've had that kind of a dream and I'm not even on any meds. Wouldn't worry that much. It's been years but they went like:

I met someone, got to know them, even got married, the dream logic was like the dream lasted for years. When I woke up, I had an intense feeling I'd lost something important but it faded in a couple of hours. It's just amazing that I felt I had got to know a person that never even existed. I also once had a dream I was actually a well known pop star on a tour and waking up from that was even more depressing.

Cbajd5

I feel like this was a plot to something recently. I'm not sure what it was, but it sounds familiar...

This sounds a lot like a recent episode of Adventure Time, "Puhoy".

Not that's cartoons have the best advice, the moral of the whole thing is not to worry about imaginary problems/things, focus on the real ones. Also, build a pillow fort.

Lynd7

This made me vaguely remember a story that was told on a Mysterious Universe podcast episode. At least I think that's where it was from. I don't remember the details that well, but I think a guy went into a coma, or something along those lines, and then lived out 30 years in his mind or something.

Either way, tell the professionals you have been seeing. The memory will most likely fade in time.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Right now, paxil. An SSRI.
Did you try something else before you started taking that? After seeing (and reading about) shit that people on Paxil went through, I have no idea how that drug wasn't pulled off the market by now. I have to say it boggles my mind that someone prescribed you that just for an OCD.

Korosenai

OP, that dream you had was your real life, and right now you are dreaming.

They might also need to add "Might obtain dream daughter" on the list of side effects.

But seriously, go tell your therapist exactly what you typed in this thread.

MikeDip

Did you try something else before you started taking that? After seeing (and reading about) shit that people on Paxil went through, I have no idea how that drug wasn't pulled off the market by now.

No. But the Paxil works great. My OCD is better than it's ever been.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
No. But the Paxil works great. My OCD is better than it's ever been.
The sideeffects of that drug tend to be intense, for people I know who were taking it anyways. Withdrawal from it, doubly so. I have to say it boggles my mind that someone prescribed you that just for an OCD. It seemed to have been a go-to drug for some time when it was released to market, but so many people got burned by it that I'd think by now it would be prescribed only to some extreme cases, and not casually for something like that.

ShaneB

Well, you should just read a great book.

51CsHxWBXQL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Back in my hormonal teen years I remember having a super-vivid dream about being pregnant, having a baby and then giving it up for adoption. Which made me feel weird, I'm like the least maternal person in my age group but... I kind of felt like I wanted that kid, but was doing what was best for them then I guess?

I wasn't taking meds then (and only take birth control pills now) - so this sort of thing can happen in normal dreams, though I certainly didn't get years out of it.

Do feel for you OP but do talk to your therapist about this and work out your feelings on this. Maybe it's a desire to settle down, but you need to sort yourself out good and proper first : )

Whatever happens next might not be the same as your dream...but it could be even better!

Cyan

Banned

An actual real answer: I had something similar happen to me a few years ago. The dream was incredibly vivid and felt so real and years of my life passed by, and when I woke up and realized none of it had been real... yeah, it sucked and it felt really weird.

About a week later I was over it, and now I just remember it as a fascinating incident that maybe gives me some insight into my own mind.

Based on my experience, I'd say just give it a little time, and all will be well. And as others have said, you could mention it to your doctor as a possible side effect, and they'll probably tell you not to worry about it.

$200

Banned
Despite what some posts here suggest, DON'T go to the psychiatrist unless it doesn't fade away after a week. I have had similar experience about two times and they usually went away after one or two nights of sleep.

Amory

I have dreams that I have a hot girlfriend sometimes and when I wake up it sucks, but what can you do? Its not real. Move on.

This must be quite troublesome for you OP. I'd say talk to a professional considering your OCD; it could be a very difficult time if you can't get this off your mind or it continues to make you anxious.

Have some good sleep too.

The sideeffects of that drug tend to be intense, for people I know who were taking it anyways. Withdrawal from it, doubly so. I have to say it boggles my mind that someone prescribed you that just for an OCD. It seemed to have been a go-to drug for some time when it was released to market, but so many people got burned by it that I'd think by now it would be prescribed only to some extreme cases, and not casually for something like that.

Really? I was on Paxil for a year and experienced no side effects. I also had no withdrawal symptoms when I stopped taking it.

MikeDip

An actual real answer: I had something similar happen to me a few years ago. The dream was incredibly vivid and felt so real and years of my life passed by, and when I woke up and realized none of it had been real... yeah, it sucked and it felt really weird.

About a week later I was over it, and now I just remember it as a fascinating incident that maybe gives me some insight into my own mind.

Based on my experience, I'd say just give it a little time, and all will be well. And as others have said, you could mention it to your doctor as a possible side effect, and they'll probably tell you not to worry about it.

What was your dream about? Did you have family members you lost too?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom