• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[Sales Age] Worldwide market in 2012 (revenues)

Last Update (01.07.2013):
- Added Canada

If you find more (or better) data, please post it!

It's harder to find data this year, because some sources didn't provide as much as last year, or none at all, but here it is. ;)

wwov.jpg

Sources
USA 1 & USA 2 | China | South Korea 1 & South Korea 2 | Japan | United Kingdom | Germany 1 & Germany 2 | France | Australia 1 & Australia 2 | Spain | Netherlands | India | Belgium | Switzerland | New Zealand | Taiwan | Nordic countries | Brazil | Canada | Russia | Italy

Archives
• Worldwide revenue in 2011
• Worldwide revenue in 2008
• Worldwide revenue in 2007

joezombie

if this doesn't include digital download platforms like steam i'm sure germany is much higher

It almost certainly does or there would be no data for any of the asian countries, not like they are buying a bunch of consoles or physical software

Glass Rebel

I'm surprised to see Switzerland in the Top 15, I guess that explains why Nintendo opened NoCH earlier this month. We can totally take Belgium and India!

I'm surprised to see Switzerland in the Top 15, I guess that explains why Nintendo opened NoCH earlier this month. We can totally take Belgium and India!
To clarify, this is not the Top15, these are just all markets we've currently data for. ^^

It doesn't include Canada for example because I have no source, but Canadas video game industry is probably ~1.700.000.000 $ big.

silvon

What happened to Japan? Revenues from Japan drop by almost 50% from 2011.

Also interested to know why on average South Koreans spend so much more than other countries.

Glass Rebel

To clarify, this is not the Top15, these are just all markets we've currently data for. ^^

It doesn't include Canada for example because I have no source, but Canadas video game industry is probably ~1.700.000.000 $ big.

dreams crushed :( at least there's Club Nintendo for us Swiss

thanks for compiling these btw!

There has been a surprising major churn going on outside the US in these lists compared to the recent past. I don't know if this is signifigant or what to make of it if it is though.

Surely Canada is larger than Australia no? Well I guess they have higher prices on everything but I'd still be surprised if they were.

Durante

Are the PC numbers retail only? I find it hard to believe the overall PC market is larger in Germany than in the US. Relative to the population, sure, but in absolute terms?

It is sad that we still don't have any solid data about sales here in Saudi Arabia or the Middle East in general.

And I'm not seeing any change regarding that issue.

Games that support Arabic language -very very uncommon thing- (like Tomb Raider) were so viral between the public here that even people who don't usually play videogames played it !!

The Arabic market is a gold mine waiting to be discovred imo.

kswiston

Surely Canada is larger than Australia no? Well I guess they have higher prices on everything but I'd still be surprised if they were.

Aren't Australian games 50-100% more expensive than games in Canada (where we pay the same price as the US more or less)? That could overcome the population difference between the two countries.

Why is it again that no console has ever taken off in South Korea? I can't imagine that the entire population exclusively plays Starcraft and MMOs.

kswiston

I wouldn't be, Germany is probably the biggest PC market in the world.

Maybe, but I somewhat doubt that the PC market is in the US is less than 5% of the Console/handheld market if digital distribution is also included.

$380M works out to 7.6M full priced games at $50 per copy. Even at a $10 per copy average, that is not a lot of volume.

Diablo 3 sold over 10M copies Worldwide (almost all of which were $40-60), even if you subtract "sales" to WoW annual pass subscribers. Assuming that around a third of D3's sales were in the US (which would be a lower ratio than most AAA games), do you really think that Diablo 3 accounted for 40% of ALL PC sales in the US during 2012?

It's sad we don't have more data for these things because they're fun to do. I know valve has said they make tons of money off of Russia and they're nowhere to be found.

What happened to Japan? Revenues from Japan drop by almost 50% from 2011.

Also interested to know why on average South Koreans spend so much more than other countries.
Famitsu didn't provide "Other" data this year.

If you look in the last years breakdown you'll notice 5 billion dollars of "Other" in the japanese row.

I do not think those PC software numbers are very accurate, have to imagine a lot of the digital stuff is in 'other'
Are the PC numbers retail only? I find it hard to believe the overall PC market is larger in Germany than in the US. Relative to the population, sure, but in absolute terms?
"Software (PC)" is only the physical market.

Canada is larger than Australia if you compare the traditional market (1.2 billion Australia vs. ~ 1.7 billion Canada).

I just don't have an official source for Canada.

Does HH = handheld?
Yes.

It's important to remind people that these data and npd data are physical only not counting: dd games, dlcs, subscriptions etc.. and mobile games.
These are included in "Other" if available. (they're available for the USA for example, see the source)

Consoles are very clearly 'cultural'. SK will move to tablets/phones and consoles will just never make a dent.

In the same way Monster Hunter is difficult to learn; think about pretty much any fps game. They really are complex; we just grew up with them.

See the breakdown, we don't have german data for "Accessories" and "Other", but we have it for the UK.

If you compare classic hardware & software revenues, Germany is bigger than the UK.

So basically the games markets of the UK, France and Germany are all pretty much the same size with Germany probably being the biggest by a small margin?
Pretty interesting considering that just ~5 years ago we used to say that the UK games market is close to being the size of France+Germany.

Madouu

It is sad that we still don't have any solid data about sales here in Saudi Arabia or the Middle East in general.

And I'm not seeing any change regarding that issue.

Games that support Arabic language -very very uncommon thing- (like Tomb Raider) were so viral between the public here that even people who don't usually play videogames played it !!

The Arabic market is a gold mine waiting to be discovred imo.

Tomb Raider supported Arabic? Well that's new for me, was it in classical arabic?

sunnz

China, legal to sell rip off's of actual products, illegal to actually sell the legit ones?

Makes sense.

I forgot that the german gaming association (BIU) provides additional data together with the GfK.

Updated the OP.

Germany:
DLC: 226.000.000 €
Online Games: 98.000.000 €
Mobile: 38.000.000 €
Browser Games: 26.000.000 €

Total "Other": 388.000.000 € (498.890.400 $)

http://www.biu-online.de/de/fakten/marktzahlen.html

*click me*

Handhelds:
Units sold: 6.700.000
Average price: 26,69 €
Revenue: 180.000.000 €

Mobile/Smartphone:
Units sold: 19.200.000
Average price: 1,96 €
Revenue: 38.000.000 €

Gaspode_T

China, legal to sell rip off's of actual products, illegal to actually sell the legit ones?

Makes sense.

It is more like China has a deeply embedded culture of not paying for software and other entertainment, but the rich in China WILL pay for highly priced electronics (I think Apple products are more expensive in China than they are in Japan for example). F2P model is basically the only way for gaming industry to try to crack into China until major cultural revolution from consumption standpoint. I personally want to see both Korean and Chinese game industries grow because it would make some awesome games for the world to play...just like you watch Ip Man, imagine how awesome a Chinese action game would be.

jvm

Gamasutra.
I'd be careful with MCV UK's data. Their online game data comes from a different source (IHS Screen Digest) than the accessory data (GfK Chart-Track), and the accessory data includes pre-paid cards for subscriptions and online currency. If I had to guess, there's some duplication there. I don't know how big a deal that is, but points cards are one of the biggest growth segments in the US.

I'd be careful with MCV UK's data. Their online game data comes from a different source (IHS Screen Digest) than the accessory data (GfK Chart-Track)
Screen Digest is reliable, they are in the global network of video game researchers / analysts.

They usually use Famitsu / NPD / GfK data or other good sources.

http://www.f-ism.net/ (scroll down and see the partner websites)

^This is Enterbrains business/research page.

and the accessory data includes pre-paid cards for subscriptions and online currency. If I had to guess, there's some duplication there. I don't know how big a deal that is, but points cards are one of the biggest growth segments in the US.
Ok, thx for the clarification.

We can't seperate it unfortunately.

Edit: Sorry for the double-post.

Ha, funnily I mentioned www.f-ism.net and I noticed that there's an IDG-report on their frontpage. It's about the video game market in 2011.

This is for 2011, but it has data for some markets which are quite unknown.

There's an excerpt-pic:

usonlinerep-2.gif

I didn't know Poland was so big and I'm surprised that Russia generated over >700.000.000 $ of revenue.

Moonstone

I think you got German PC sales wrong. The revenue posted is in $ what should be in €.
At least if you take the numbers from BIU.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=48262476&postcount=66

Where did you find the hardware revenue for germany? Couldn't find it in the sources.

Here are some forecast, so take them with grain of salt, but the sources are ok and the numbers fit in the picture.

Revenue Consoles vs PCs 2011/2016 in germany:
http://de.statista.com/statistik/da...ile-im-markt-fuer-videospiele-in-deutschland/

Forecast: Total Revenue (Hard- and Software) Germany from PriceWaterhouseCoopers: 2,7 billion € @2015
http://de.statista.com/statistik/da...tze-im-markt-fuer-videospiele-in-deutschland/

Total revenue in germany 201-2012 (from 2010/2011)
http://de.statista.com/statistik/da...rage/umsaetze-im-gaming-markt-in-deutschland/

@Gap UK vs Germany: I think it's hard to compare. Nobody knows what they put in this category and all those studies aren't really comparable - they just give us a hint.

Hardware and accessoires should be way higher in the UK.

Uk sells a lot more hardware and console games, but the average price for games is higher in germany. I don't have numbers to back that up, but if you want anectdotal evidence compare amazon.de with amazon.co.uk prices for recently released games. Tomb Raider is at 44€ from a third party retailer, amazon.de's price is 50€ and retail has it at 55€. In the uk it was down after 3 weeks to 25£.

PC gaming hardware is not so important and it's hard to track. You can't include every Keyboard and Mouse sold. So hardware and accessoires should be higher in the uk, because it's console hardware and there are more people who own and buy console accessoires in the uk.

I guess the German total market size is about 2,5B € (1,9B + 600 mio Hardware) or 3,2B$.

I don't believe that accessoires make up 1$B. UK should be still bigger overall, when you only look at the console market and include any hardware. Other might be a little to high for the uk (prepaid cards?).

I think you got German PC sales wrong. The revenue posted is in $ what should be in €.
At least if you take the numbers from BIU.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=48262476&postcount=66

Where did you find the hardware revenue for germany? Couldn't find it in the sources.
I linked to the wrong article, fixed it now. Thx for pointing this out.

http://www.adese.es/anuario2012/ANUARIO_ADESE_2012.pdf

This is the source (GfK), page 14, it says 364.000.000 $ for PC software.

I think BIU includes Online-Downloads too, that's why we get the discrepancy.

Online revenues are included in "Other" in the overview.

Here are some forecast, so take them with grain of salt, but the sources are ok and the numbers fit in the picture.

Revenue Consoles vs PCs 2011/2016 in germany:
http://de.statista.com/statistik/da...ile-im-markt-fuer-videospiele-in-deutschland/

Forecast: Total Revenue (Hard- and Software) Germany from PriceWaterhouseCoopers: 2,7 billion € @2015
http://de.statista.com/statistik/da...tze-im-markt-fuer-videospiele-in-deutschland/

Total revenue in germany 201-2012 (from 2010/2011)
http://de.statista.com/statistik/da...rage/umsaetze-im-gaming-markt-in-deutschland/
Thx for these, can't view them here in work.

I'll login with my university-account later, so I can view them. ;)

jvm

Gamasutra.
That Other category in the U.S. includes rental and resale (used) revenue. It looks like most of the others countries, that is usually only digital and subscriptions and so forth. Might it make more sense to use the $5.92 billion figure from NPD's press release there, to make it more comparable to the other figures?

You can split the resales/rental off into another column, perhaps.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
I'm not sure I understand the graph. What does China buy games-wise if not hardware, software, or accessories? Is that all black market stuff?

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
I think it's kind of hilarious that Americans spend almost as much money on games as the entire continent of Europe.

We need to get new hobbies or somethin' lol

N2NOther

Banned
Maybe, but I somewhat doubt that the PC market is in the US is less than 5% of the Console/handheld market if digital distribution is also included.

$380M works out to 7.6M full priced games at $50 per copy. Even at a $10 per copy average, that is not a lot of volume.

Diablo 3 sold over 10M copies Worldwide (almost all of which were $40-60), even if you subtract "sales" to WoW annual pass subscribers. Assuming that around a third of D3's sales were in the US (which would be a lower ratio than most AAA games), do you really think that Diablo 3 accounted for 40% of ALL PC sales in the US during 2012?

Yes, I do. Even games like COD don't sell more than maybe 3 million units. 10 million is a LOT for any platform especially PC.

This is why consoles get all the attention.

Hari Seldon

Yes, I do. Even games like COD don't sell more than maybe 3 million units. 10 million is a LOT for any platform especially PC.

This is why consoles get all the attention.

Naa man, the digital numbers don't seem to be included. Blizzard releases their total numbers both retail and digital, but most other companies do not. Plus the PC is fragmented far more than just having the big publishers on consoles. Plus all that DOTA2, LoL, and WoW money is not factored in at all.

Top Bottom