• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Non-douchey character designs?

I noticed some comments about how the protagonist for Infamous: Second Son looks like a douchebag. What specifically makes a character appear douchey? What is anti-douchey?

Post examples please!

ekim

I noticed some comments about how the protagonist for Infamous: Second Son looks like a douchebag. What specifically makes a character appear douchey? What is anti-douchey?

Post examples please!

inFAMOUS-PS4-Detailed-GI.jpg

That looks douchey? What? That's pretty much how I dress myself. :(

I guess people claiming such stuff still wear tribal shirts...

No. I think that dude from Infamous looks like a Douche too. His personality is also going to be purposefully juvenile and pointless anti-authoritarian (whilst wearing designer clothing also). It comes from the face and a smug attitude. It does not help that his outward appearance and actions will amplify this douchiness.

Non-doouchey?
Probably...
max payne? he probably beats up douches all the time.

Amir0x

Banned
douchebag is generally someone who goes around tryin to act all tough and cool but is really just a poser of some sort who can occasionally be an asshole

i am not sure how his visual representation in Second Son screams 'douchebag', however, but sometimes it's just someone projecting. they wish they had smoke powers and could bang chicks through an ephemeral state. Trust and believe, smoke sex is best sex.

theDeeDubs

Post examples please!

I think his character design is good myself. His skinny jeans were kind of meh though.

Kade

Any character that doesn't wear a silk DBZ button up that has the symbol for tranquility on it and a pair of JNCO Kevin Smith jorts is a douchebag to GAF.

Focus groups tend to design their characters to look as douchey as possible because douchiness has mass appeal. Douchey tropes include space marines, hip 20-somethings (i.e. the Second Son protag), perma-stubble, etc. It's a really nebulous concept, but you know douchey when you see one.

Dante in DmC looks like a douche on the outside, but catches you off guard by having a character arc and caring about other people by the end of the game.

As opposed to Dante in DMC 3 and 4, who is a douche on both the outside and inside.

That looks douchey? What? That's pretty much how I dress myself. :(

I think it's just the combination of beanie/distressed denim jacket/pin badges/hoodie/plaid shirt/skinny jeans/tribal tatoos. You can get away with two or maybe three of those, but after that, it gets sketchy.

Manu

Cole Phelps from L.A. Noire is a stange example, because he doesn't look like a douche but definitely acts like one.

olympia

He looks douchey simply from the fact that he looks like a producer's impression of what a "rebel" looks like.

"Hmm yeah, my Nephew dresses like that, and he's in a band. Good work!"

Persona86

Banned

Post examples please!

I'm not sure how to explain it. But it's a combo of things rather than one thing.

Mostly the expression on the face along with fashion sense, body language, tattoos, an arrogant personality with no charm etc

Coolwhip

Banned
Guess again. :p (I just wear a beanie over the winter and mostly skinny jeans... :( )

My reply was to the second part of your post. And skinny jeans what the hell!

On topic:

Non douchey: Link
Douchey: Gears of War characters (all of them)

Top Bottom