• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Suicide is Selfish

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is anyone else tired of hearing this crap?

"Coward's way out."
"Suicide is for the selfish."
etc

It's just such a prevailing mode of thinking that only makes people feel worse about their depressed situation and yet people keep issuing these declarative statements. And how is it selfish? Do I owe my existence to anyone other than myself? Fuck right off. If someone has dependents, they're obviously in a state of mind that renders their thought process as "everyone will be better off without me." So why the bullshit judgement statement? Does it make people who say it feel better about themselves?

I agree with you. People always say its selfish, but isn't wanting a person to stay alive and suffer depression and pain selfish?

Emitan

It generally comes from people completely ignorant about it. I've seen GAFers be completely ignorant about it but change their tune when properly educated.

The thing to understand is that when someone is suicidal they are not thinking rationally.

Salsa

I think everyone's entitled to do whatever they want with their life, to the point of end it. Even though I would never consider suicide (well at least I think), it's liberating to know that it's the one thing you have complete control over.

so yeah, not selfish. Just whatever, it's personal

I get the angle tho, I just dont share it much

JDSN

Banned
This about that game-side thread?

Yeah, its bullshit, people can do what they want with their lives and that include the way they finish it, I believe in showing people that there is another way and that things can get better, but its their choice.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
I felt that way before but after talking to someone about it and thinking some more I realize it's a stupid stance to take.

As someone with major depression, it gets old
tiQgD.jpg

It really is the wrong thing to say when someone is in that place. Depression is a fickle bitch, and it will convince you that everything is awful and the world would be a much better place without you. People start calling you selfish on top of that? Yeah, not a good idea.

Musolf815

Oh man I was really worried your sentiment would be the opposite based on the title.

I completely agree. Depression already makes it hard to think, so telling them what their mind is telling them is the only way is selfish, they will feel worse. It's an incredibly difficult situation to deal with, and I think that sadly you're probably right with your last point, some people say it to feel better about themselves, to get that little smug "well at least I'm not suicidal" like it's something people just choose to feel. Like telling someone with depression/anxiety disorders to just "feel better" or "get over it".

SystemBug

As someone who has thought about suicide a lot and even tried to carry out the act.

Yes, it is selfish.

You are going to put an unmeasurable amount of burden and grief on your parents, siblings, friends and others.

Endo Punk

I used to think Suicide is very selfish until I was close to it myself long ago. Then I realised you know what? Life can really fucking suck sometimes.... My heart goes out to all those who take such a route. But there is help out there and family should definitely notice signs of depression and such before it gets too late.

Log4Girlz

I often think I would like to end my life, but can't. I am overwhelmed with fear at the thought. What would it take to overcome this fear. Great cowardice, which implies being fearful, or bravery to overcome that which you fear?

Suicide is kind of something both very difficult and very easy to understand. I think people adopt views like this so they can take a position and try to 'understand' it, without really having to try to understand it, if that makes any sense at all.

I often think I would like to end my life, but can't. I am overwhelmed with fear at the thought. What would it take to overcome this fear. Great cowardice, which implies being fearful, or bravery to overcome that which you fear?

I think the obvious answer is desperation.

I guess it's because suicide effects more than just the person committing said suicide.

Yeah. I don't agree at all that its a cowards way out, or even that being selfish is inherently bad. But even if they are in a state of mind where they can't see that people care for them, it can still be a selfish act.

Salsa

I think the "you hurt others" angle is valid when it comes to the decision but it's not all-inclusive. I mean you have responsibilities but you also have priorities. I'd argue that an INCREDIBLY DEPRESSED AND SUICIDAL parent is equally bad, or worse, than not having one, right?

carrying on with something you don't want 100% purely because of others is just weird to me. How can you so surely judge someone without being in their situation?

I think that's the main thing, everyone likes to judge suicide from a high-up place as if they knew it all. You don't know.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth

Irrationality helps.

andthebeatgoeson

I guess it's because suicide effects more than just the person committing said suicide.
Ur more likely to commit suicide if someone you know has done it. It is kinda selfish since it puts others risk due to a temporary problem. You make a lot of strong connections by living and loving, so it is selfish mostly.

jtb

Banned

.... And? Are they more beholden to you or anyone else besides themselves?

People who commit suicide are not in a rational state of mind. Obviously, they don't set out to hurt someone (because if they did they'd just kill them instead of themselves) so really this angle is incredibly selfish because you're demanding you take precedence over their own pain.

I guess what I'm saying is suicide is selfish. So fucking what.

dalin80

Banned
The statement may be true or at least be a fair part but it certainly isn't helpful, somethings dont really need saying.

ant1532

Banned
Is anyone else tired of hearing this crap?

"Coward's way out."
"Suicide is for the selfish."
etc

It's just such a prevailing mode of thinking that only makes people feel worse about their depressed situation and yet people keep issuing these declarative statements. And how is it selfish? Do I owe my existence to anyone other than myself? Fuck right off. If someone has dependents, they're obviously in a state of mind that renders their thought process as "everyone will be better off without me." So why the bullshit judgement statement? Does it make people who say it feel better about themselves?

Well suicide being a symptom of depression, can cause depression in other family members(as well as panic attacks, and heart issues) and lead them to a miserable life just as the person who had committed suicide had dealt with. Suicide isn't just one person taking there life away. It effects many others harmfully too. There's always a better way, suicide is the wrong answer everytime.

As someone who has thought about suicide a lot and even tried to carry out the act.

Yes, it is selfish.

You are going to put an unmeasurable amount of burden and grief on your parents, siblings, friends and others.
You didn't go through with it. To go through with it, you have to be mentally incapable of actually living with logical thoughts. It is an act that none of us can do and won't do right now as we are alive because it either takes a monumental mental effort to even try it or because our brain is so far gone that we don't even know what we're really doing. You can't call people selfish when they are in those modes of living.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
Well suicide being a symptom of depression, can cause depression in other family members(as well as panic attacks, and heart issues) and lead them to a miserable life just as the person who had committed suicide had dealt with. Suicide isn't just one person taking there life away. It effects many others harmfully too. There's always a better way, suicide is the wrong answer everytime.

Again, whether or not it is right or wrong is irrelevant when the person is not acting rationally.

I realize that other people depend on or feel pain from the loss but is it not more selfish to wish someone live through agony and despair in order to please you?

Salsa

Suicide is irrational.

I only think of it as irrational in the sense that you're choosing between something and nothing, so what's the point of choosing nothing? you're not gonna be "better off"

other than that, taking your own life seems pretty rational as far as acts go

RM8

It's still the result of a person's mental illness or other abnormal state of mind, isn't it? I don't think saying "yeah, you have the right to kill yourself" is helpful in any way other than stating the obvious - yes, of course you can kill yourself. I remember watching a documentary about suicides, and how an old man would walk around a famous "suicide spot" in Japan (not Aokigahara, can't remember the name) and offer help to people who looked "suspicious". Only a couple of them committed suicide afterwards. The man said "no one really wants to die, people who consider suicide simply need help".

Piano

Banned
Those who think it's selfish are generally those who havent been there themselves. The level of suffering one has to get to to consider taking their own life is beyond comprehension. To those who 'don't understand' why someone would commit suicide...its because you don't realize the spectrum of human emotion goes way, way lower than you've personally experienced.

Suicide is giving up, in a way. But it's not cowardly. It's what someone turns to when they are in such an unliveable amount of pain that there seems to be literally no other way out.

Think about it for a second. Think about how much pain, mental or physical, you would have to be in to get there. It boggles the mind.

Too many people don't take the time to realize that their emotional spectrum is not universal.

Sure, you can argue that it is selfish, just as not wanting to burn your hand on the stove is selfish. Wishing to avoid pain and suffering is just inbuilt, and I think it is kinda silly to blame someone for acting on that wish not to get hurt.

You don't have an obligation to live, that would just be ridiculous.

Human interaction is not a one-sided street, it works both ways. As social animals the interactions and connections we make we others is a joint-effort.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom