• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Family Tree lOTl - HBO series where Chris O'Dowd searches for family in America

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bladenic

Family_Tree_intertitle.png

From HBO:

Having recently lost his job and his girlfriend, 30-year-old Tom Chadwick has a rather unsure sense of his own identity. But when he inherits a mysterious box of belongings from a great aunt he never met, Tom starts investigating his lineage and uncovers a whole world of unusual stories and characters, acquiring a growing sense of who he and his real family are.

Written and created by Christopher Guest and Jim Piddock, the new comedy series FAMILY TREE is a single-camera, documentary-style show in the manner of Guest's acclaimed feature films (such as 'Best in Show,' 'Waiting for Guffman' and 'A Mighty Wind'). Chris O'Dowd ('Bridesmaids') stars as Tom Chadwick in the HBO presentation, along with Tom Bennett and Nina Conti. The series also features appearances by Carrie Aizley, Bob Balaban, Ed Begley, Jr., Maria Blasucci, Matt Griesser, Christopher Guest, Don Lake, Michael McKean, Lisa Palfrey, Jim Piddock, Kevin Pollak, Amy Seimetz, Meera Syal, Ashley Walters and Fred Willard.

Trailer

Episode 1 Clips:

Episode 2 Preview

Show page on HBO

Reviews:

Paste Magazine - Positive

Variety - Negative

IGN - Positive

Entertainment Weekly - B

I didn't see anyone make a thread for this, I apologize if anyone (Cornballer?) planned on it. First episode aired last night, and I quite enjoyed it. It was a tad light on laughs (except the date scene, which had me in tears) but it was very warm and likable. Looking forward to the rest of the season.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
I thought it was okay. I found the first two thirds to be pretty bland and not very funny, minus the monkey puppet which I liked, but I thought it improved in the last third. The gag with the photo book at the end was pretty amusing.

I don't necessarily understand why the main guy was so fixated on that picture though. I think they could have done a better job at establishing his motivation for wanting to delve into his family history.

Bread

Banned
Just watched the first episode, loved it. I am a huge fan of the Guest movies, so this should be right up my alley. I also thought the monkey puppet was great, and I had that exact puppet as a kid.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
I got around to watching it tonight, and it really didn't do anything for me. I chuckled at one or two gags, but the whole thing was pretty light weight and bland. If you're not going to be real funny, you better deliver with the story, but I don't know why I should care about some guy haphazardly researching his family history. Admittedly, that's a tough thing to sell me on personally, since I don't find genealogy to be very interesting in real life either.

Anyway, the show barely registered a reaction from me in either direction. I don't see a lot of potential for the show to change my mind either.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Episode 2 was an improvement, though still a little dry for my tastes. I did laugh when Tom poured salt into his date's clavicle though, and I also liked hearing about his great grandfather's sad/weird life as a horse's rear end.

I still don't know why Tom is so interested in his family history though and the faux documentary interviews make it seem like there's a crew following him around for a sort of "Who Do You Think You Are?" style show, which would only make sense if Tom was famous, which I don't think he is.

I think the mockumentary parts feel weirdly out of place and I'm honestly tired of seeing that genre/style in so many shows.

I'm right there with you Ratsky.

Episode 2 > Episode 1 but it's still just barely interesting enough to keep watching. I love the cast so I hope it becomes a little more exciting in the coming weeks. I'm in for the whole season regardless.

Mazre

I think this'll be a fairly enjoyable slow burn. The "Avatar: The Musical" poster and historic footage from the theater acts cracked me up. Both blind dates have been fantastic as well.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Oh my god, every scene with that monkey puppet is so mortifying. I about died when it started humping that boxing glove.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
"This your festival? Mmm, not very good. In Moldova we have festival of life....(can't make out what she says here)...It's very very good all the virgin they go up to mountain to see magic chicken who give magic egg to virgin. Then all men come and they sing and dance and drink and eat all night! At midnight, virgin put egg in mouth. In morning sun come up take egg from mouth: if egg no broke, she virgin they love forever and marry. If egg broke, she not a virgin she prostituta! He throw big cabbage at her head and baby dragon he come out of egg and eat dirty lady face!"

My god, Luba is amazing. This show keeps getting better and better.

Alpende

I'm starting to like the show. I didn't really like the monkey in the pilot (too many easy jokes) but he/she/it is starting to grow on me. The American episode is quite funny, the weird relative, David, stood out for me.

Sane_Man

How did I miss this?! Huge Christopher Guest fan and I just heard about it yesterday and watched all the episodes. Amazing. The quality improves massively after the first couple of episodes.

ralexand

100% logic failure rate
Had huge hopes for this show but its simply not funny. Uses tired ass comedic scenarios that have been done before but can't back even those up with good writing.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Season finale is tonight! It hasn't been renewed yet, though HBO seems to renew everything at least once these days so I'm not worried. I would be disappointed if they cancelled it (I think it deserves one more season) but at the same time it's not like I'm going to be crushed if it goes away.

I thought that was a great last episode to a pretty good season. As someone that likes dry humor, it was a little too dry at times, but still very enjoyable.

Monk is the best part of the show without question:
"I'd like you see you naked"
"Did you kill her?" Slayed me lol

I liked another episode. Still only enjoyed 2 out of 8 overall, but since the two I liked were in the back half I guess I'll like the second season more.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Great episode. Nice to see the season go out on a high note.

"Oh, I like this show"

"Yeah, I love this show. I watch it with my mom."

*cue graphic sex scene*

"........................it's lit so beautifully"

"mmm, it's really well written too."

hahaha

Monk is the best part of the show without question:
"I'd like you see you naked"
"Did you kill her?" Slayed me lol

Everything that comes out of Monk's mouth is golden. I loved when Bea was trying to telepathically communicate with him when he was lost.

I liked another episode. Still only enjoyed 2 out of 8 overall, but since the two I liked were in the back half I guess I'll like the second season more.

:)

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Seems like a second season is likely:

"It is a co-production with The BBC," Lombardo reminds us and says that the BBC is interested in doing another season. "No decision's been made and we're just starting the conversation with BBC about it," Lombardo says.

Source

I watched it all last 2 days.

It starts off too weird and British for some I'm sure but being partnered with the BBC it makes sense now.

Enjoyed it but should of been tightened up.

Seen Best in Show and A Mighty Wind. A movie has to end and quick. Forces you to get going A to Z.

Bounces around the UK for maybe an episode too long. And the Job, Money, time limit was barely noticeable.

Need more of a reason why he needs to go back home to make the final scene work good. The situation he was at seemed pretty sucky.

jufonuk

not tag worthy
Starting to watch this on iPlayer, I am loving this so far, all the mock british TV shows and the insane events (Horseracing) it's really good so far.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom