• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2012 TV Season - New & Returning series

Status
Not open for further replies.

anaron

With the regular TV season coming to an end, I thought it would be a good idea to preview/track everything that will be airing over the next few months – especially because, a lot of it is pretty damn great. So in lieu of the other TV threads, here’s one for the next couple months:

(OP will be updated as newer information is made available)

NEW SERIES

The Newsroom
- Premiering June 24th on HBO.

c6cEp.jpg

Trailer 1, 2

Created by Aaron Sorkin, (The West Wing, Sports Night, The Social Network)
the series is set behind the scenes at the fictional Atlantis Cable News (ACN) and centers around anchor Will (Jeff Daniels),
his new executive producer Mackenzie MacHale (Emily Mortimer), newsroom staff Maggie (Alison Pill), Jim (John Gallagher, Jr.), Sloan (Olivia Munn), Neal (Dev Patel), Don (Thomas Sadoski), and their boss Charlie Skinner (Sam Waterston).

Bunheads - Premiering June 11th on ABC Family.

ohRkf.jpg

Watch the pilot episode (enter THRBunheads)
Trailer
Two minute Sneak Peek

Created by Amy Sherman-Palladino (Gilmore Girls), the series stars Broadway’s Sutton Foster as Michelle, a Las Vegas showgirl down on her luck. Broke and without friends or a home, she sees her life and career at a dead end and impulsively marries a man (Alan Ruck) who promises her a better life and moves to his sleepy coastal town. There, she ends up working under her new mother in law (Kelly Bishop) as a ballet teacher. The Cast includes Friday Night Lights’ Stacey Oristano, Rose Abdoo, Greg Henry and newcomers Kaitlyn Jenkins, Emma Dumont, Bailey Buntain and Goldani Telles.

(it's definitely the summer of snappy, brilliant breathless, master shot dialogue with those two creators returning to TV)

• Anger Management - Charlie Sheen returns to TV as a non-traditional therapist specializing in anger management in this new comedy premiering Thursday, June 28 at 9/8c on FX.

• Political Animals - July on USA

• Baby Daddy - This half-hour Raising Hope ripoff comedy about a young man (Jean-Luc Bilodeau) who suddenly becomes a dad when an ex-girlfriend leaves their daughter on his doorstep premieres Wednesday, June 20 at 8:30/7:30c on ABC Family.

• Dallas - This reboot of the ‘80s classic premieres Wednesday, June 13 at 9/8c on TNT. J.R. (Larry Hagman), Bobby (Pattrick Duffy), and Sue Ellen Ewing (Linda Gray) return to Southfork with secrets, schemes, and betrayals. Josh Henderson and Jesse Metcalfe play the next generation of ambitious, deceitful Ewings.

• Saving Hope - NBC’s newest hospital drama premieres Thursday, June 7 at 10/9c.

• Perception - The FBI recruits an eccentric neuroscience professor (Eric McCormack) to help solve complex cases. This crime drama, which also stars Rachael Leigh Cook, Arjay Smith, and Kelly Rowan, premieres Monday, July 9 at 10/9c on TNT.

• Major Crimes - This Closer spin-off premieres Monday, August 13 at 10/9c on TNT — right after The Closer’s series finale. (It will move to its regular 9 p.m. time slot the following Monday.)

RETURNING

Louie - Season 3 - premieres Thursday, June 28 at 10:30/9:30c on FX.

92z8O.jpg

Trailer

Breaking Bad - July 15th

1tAtk.jpg

Walter White (Bryan Cranston) deals with the messy aftermath of Gus Fring’s (Giancarlo Esposito) equally messy death when Season 5 — the drama’s final season — premieres in July on AMC.
On the set of season 5 with Bryan Cranston.

Awkward - premieres Thursday, June 28 at 10:30/9:30c on MTV.

rJ5hP.jpg

In the sophomore season, Jenna Hamilton deals with knowing her mother wrote thecarefrontation.

Workaholics
- Tuesday May 29th at 10:30 pm.

AIqe3.jpg

Blake Anderson, Adam Devine and Anders Holm star in the half-hour single camera workplace comedy returning for its second season.

True Blood - Season 5 premieres Sunday, June 10 at 9/8c on HBO.

AbSc1.jpg

Sookie (Anna Paquin), Bill (Stephen Moyer), and Eric (Alexander Skarsgard) return to the small screen with Christopher Meloni joining when Season 5 premieres Sunday, June 10 at 9/8c on HBO.
Trailer

Alphas – July 23rd SyFy.

s3Xag.jpg

In the series, five ordinary people are brought together to form one extraordinary team of Alphas -- people with the unique power to stretch the capabilities of the human mind giving them superhuman physical and mental abilities.

• Damages - The fifth and final season premieres Wednesday, July 11th at 9pm ET/PT on DirecTV

V6Nct.jpg

Wilfred - Thursday by June 28 at 10/9 con FX.

RtQ7c.jpg

- Season 2 of this Elijah Wood comedy, where everyone else sees Wilfred as a dog, but Ryan sees a crude, surly, irrepressibly brave and honest man in a dog suit. The show premieres Thursday, June 28 at 10/9c on FX.

Web Therapy - premieres Monday, July 2 at 11/10c on Showtime

vX2kS.jpg

Lisa Kudrow reprises her quirky therapist character, Fiona Wallice, in Season 2 of this comedy. Meryl Streep, Rosie O'Donnell, Conan O'Brien, Molly Shannon, Minnie Driver, and Selma Blair are slated to guest star — and David Schwimmer will appear in a four-episode arc as the son of a professor Fiona had an affair with in college. Friends reunion!

• Tosh.0 - Tuesday May 29th at 10pm on Comedy Central.

• Weeds - The comedy’s eighth season premieres Sunday, July 1 at 10/9c on Showtime. Maybe we’ll get some answers about who aimed and fired at mama drug dealer Nancy Botwin in the Season 7 finale.

• Pretty Little Liars - Season 3 of this teen thriller kicks off Tuesday, June 5 at 8/7c on ABC Family.

• Warehouse 13 – July 23 SyFy

• White Collar - Tuesday July 10th on USA.

• The Closer - The final six episodes of Season 7 — the crime drama’s last — kick off Monday, July 9 at 9/8c on TNT. We’ll miss you, Kyra Sedgwick!

• Episodes - Season 2 of this Matt LeBlanc comedy premieres Sunday, July 1 at 10:30/9:30c on Showtime.

• Falling Skies - Season 2 of this Noah Wyle sci-fi drama premieres Sunday, June 17 at 9/8c on TNT.

• Franklin & Bash - Season 2 of this law dramedy, starring Breckin Meyer and Mark-Paul Gosselaar, premieres Tuesday, June 5 at 10/9c on TNT.

• Jane by Design - Season 1 of this light-hearted, fashion-focused teen comedy/drama returns on Tuesday, June 5 at 9/8c on ABC Family.

• Leverage - Season 5 of this Timothy Hutton con drama premieres Sunday, July 15 at 8/7c on TNT.

• Rizzoli & Isles - Season 3 of this Angie Harmon-Sasha Alexander crime drama premieres Tuesday, June 5 at 9/8c on TNT.

* Burn Notice June 14th 9/8c on USA

* Covert Affairs - July 10th on USA

• Rookie Blue - The police drama’s third season premieres Thursday, May 24 at 10/9c on ABC.

• Teen Wolf - Season 2 of this supernatural hit premieres Sunday, June 3 at 11/10c on MTV. A second new episode will air the following night, June 4, at 10/9c.

Munin

Wilfred is so underrated. It's brilliant and much funnier than all that Community/30 Rock/Parks and Recreation hipster junk.

Here's a Damages blurb you can add so the three of us that still watch don't forget about it:

Damages - The fifth and final season premieres Wednesday, July 11th at 9pm ET/PT on DirecTV

Wilfred is so underrated. It's brilliant and much funnier than all that Community/30 Rock/Parks and Recreation hipster junk.

Well, I wasn't convinced before, but your eloquent argument has persuaded me to stop watching my favorite tv show because it is hipster garbage. Wilfred is a classic, and I have yet to see it. Thank you good sir.

ezekial45

Banned
Breaking Bad, Louie, and Wilfred are the only things I care about. I might give The Newsroom a shot, but it comes off a bit pretentious from those trailers. It's like the show is the embodiment of Keith Olbermann's ego.

Really excited for the best two shows of last year to start up again. Aside from Louie and Breaking Bad, I'm planning to catch up with Awkward and Wilfred. I'll also try out the two new shows highlighted in the OP, though The Newsroom looks ridiculously problematic. We'll see if I make it through the season.

Tucah

you speak so well
Newsroom, Louie, Breaking Bad, True Blood, Wilfred, Weeds (more out of habit though) = good summer!

B.K.

I normally watch Breaking Bad, but not this year. I'm going to wait until next year to watch this half of season five. It's ridiculous to have a year break during the first and second half of the season. A few months would be fine, but not a whole year.

ivysaur12

Banned
Saving Hope is NBC, I believe.

Yes to Newsroom, Breaking Bad, Political Animals, Louie, Awkward, Episodes.

Anaron, you forgot Political Animals. Technically it's labeled a mini but I assume that doing well will get a renewal.

Suits, White Collar, Burn Notice, Leverage, Warehouse 13, Alphas, Teen Wolf, True Blood for me.

I'm looking up this show 'Web Therapy' online. I'd heard the name, but didn't know much about it, but it's really funny! Lisa Kudrow's funny.

anaron

Everyone contributing: thank you, and the information will be added to the OP.

Updated Breaking Bad's premiere to July 15th.

anaron

Just finished the pilot of Bunheads. Amazing cast, (Gary Janetti and Alex Borstein pop up too) great dialogue, loads of potential and surprisingly dark in parts. Give it a shot.

Just finished the pilot of Bunheads. Amazing cast, (Gary Janetti and Alex Borstein pop up too) great dialogue, loads of potential and surprisingly dark in parts. Give it a shot.

Just what I want to hear, can't wait to watch the pilot tonight. I hope Amy finally has a place to grow a lasting story.

TripOpt55

I will be watching Breaking Bad and The Newsroom. I love Damages, but I can't watch it :| I just catch it on DVD. Looking forward to watching Season 4 this summer though.

DMczaf

With the regular TV season coming to an end, I thought it would be a good idea to preview/track everything that will be airing over the next few months – especially because, a lot of it is pretty damn great. So in lieu of the other TV threads, here’s one for the next couple months:

(OP will be updated as newer information is made available)

NEW SERIES

The Newsroom
- Premiering June 24th on HBO.

c6cEp.jpg

Trailer 1, 2

Why do all of Sorkin's shows have the same pilot?

tim.mbp

Breaking Bad and The Closer on iTunes for me. Will give Major Crimes a try depending on how The Closer ends. Also will be watching Masterpiece on PBS as usual. New stuff they will be showing, the Inspector Morse prequel Endeavour, Inspector Lewis Season 5, and Wallander Season 3.

JoseJX

Is Alphas good?

I liked it. It's basically a less stupid Heroes. The characters all have flaws with their powers (like the kid with autism, but he makes up for it by being able to "see" electromagnetic waves). It's nothing amazing, but it's good summer fun.

Slime

Banned
Bunheads is the most excited I've been for a new show in quite a while. Hopefully someday I'll feel comfortable saying that out loud.

Waiting over a month to see the second episode is gonna be painful. :(

Ceebs

Bunheads is the most excited I've been for a new show in quite a while. Hopefully someday I'll feel comfortable saying that out loud.

Waiting over a month to see the second episode is gonna be painful. :(

Did not expect the ending of that pilot though.

Other than that it was quite funny and charming.

Strike

Just found out that Haven won't be back until September so it's Breaking Bad and True Blood for me.

Edit: and Futurama.

anaron

Did not expect the ending of that pilot though.

Other than that it was quite funny and charming.

Surprisingly dark, eh?

I think it's a good decision though to kill off Hubbell. It leaves the show to Michelle and Fanny and their relationship is far more interesting

Ceebs

Surprisingly dark, eh?

I think it's a good decision though to kill off Hubbell. It leaves the show to Michelle and Fanny and their relationship is far more interesting

It makes sense, I just did not see it coming. At least he got laid before going out

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom