• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Velocity Ultra |OT| High speed PSVita gaming - Show Thumb Respect

Carl

Kai_Tana_HD.jpg

Velocity Ultra (commonly referred to as one of the greatest games on the Playstation Minis platform) has been remade for Playstation Vita. Why? Because the fans (including many on NeoGAF) asked for it!

Release date: Europe: OUT NOW - Download link https://store.sonyentertainmentnetw...ltra/cid=EP4143-PCSB00302_00-VELOCITYULTRA000
US: July 2nd

File Size: 224mb

Developer: FuturLab

Platform: Playstation Vita

Price: £6.49/€7.99/$7.99

Some people in the Vita thread expressed interest in donating to FuturLab since the game is free on PS+. If you wish to, you can find a donation link on http://www.futurlab.co.uk/

So, what is Velocity? Here are a few reviews of the original Mini version.

TheSixthAxis: 10/10

ZTGD: 9.5/10

Playstation Universe: 9/10

Edge: 9/10

IGN: 9/10

Eurogamer: 8/10

Destructoid: 7/10

What's changed since the Minis version?

Trophies!

Leaderboards!

Unified art style!

Essentially, Velocity Ultra is a Director's Cut edition - everything FuturLab wanted Velocity to be in the first place, if they weren't held back by the shackles of the Minis platform.

Here are some pretty pictures of before/after

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q5Q7haR9mxo

I'm still not sure...

Fine, here are some videos.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EYgga7qXyRM

These are from the original Minis release, so the art style is different in this version! They're good enough to show you the gameplay though, and good enough for you to tell if you'll enjoy it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2mTiirkFL3M

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pfeZ6oraxks

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MEnw3Xa20Ac

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=odqiZd9P_uI

Vorg

Banned
I'll just be honest and say most people won't even give it a chance at that price, worth it or not.

Nice OT Carl, cant wait to get this!

Im hoping i can get it while at lunch by tethering my Xperia Z to my Vita, otherwise i have to wait until i get home form work :(

Hopefully the fact it isnt a Mini and now has trophies/leaderboards etc more people might give this great game a go.

jwk94

Nice OT Carl, cant wait to get this!

Im hoping i can get it while at lunch by tethering my Xperia Z to my Vita, otherwise i have to wait until i get home form work :(

Hopefully the fact it isnt a Mini and now has trophies/leaderboards etc more people might give this great game a go.

Why not purcahse it from the web store and send it to your Vita?

Carl

Added direct download link for the web store, but here it is again https://store.sonyentertainmentnetw...ltra/cid=EP4143-PCSB00302_00-VELOCITYULTRA000

Thanks for those, added to OT :) Was a bit of a quick job so i forgot those. Appreciated.

Such a surprise to see you do the OT, Carl :p

By popular demand :p

What! This is free on EU PS+?

*goes to charge his Vita

Yep! Enjoy.

I felt this amazing game was greatly held back by the Minis platform, so I only played like the first 15-20 levels of the game.

Looking at some of the trophies, this is going to be a hard ass platinum, right?

These are the gold trophies:

Navigator
Complete the Smith's Challenge minigame

Elite
Destroy 5000 Zetachron ships

Neutrino Speed Is Too Slow
Earn a PERFECT medal on all Critical Urgency zones

River
Rescue every survivor

Perfectionist
Earn a PERFECT medal for every zone

Ripley
Collect every in-game award in Velocity Ultra

Empty

i'm so glad it's on plus. i love the mini but i wasn't sure whether it was worth paying up for a remake only a year later.

anyway if you haven't played it i highly reccomend buying this game. it's absolutely brilliant. the teleport control is so much fun, it has tons of variation and gameplay ideas and the level design in the later mazey stages is just amazing.

RpgN

Carl, good job on the thread but I find it strange you suggestig people can donate if they feel guilty having the game from PS plus. This is what you are paying for PS plus, to play games for free that you don't get to keep. I'm sure Sony worked out a good deal with publishers to make it a viable proposition. There is nothing to feel guilty about, but of course it's up to you and others if you want to feel that way and donate.

Personally, I plan to buy games I enjoy from PS plus once they have a good deal and after ending the subscription. That way I get to keep what to enjoy if I no longer have PS plus.

As for Velocity, I'm super excited for the game even after playing the minis version!

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
7.99 is fair considering this is a revamped Vita game. For a game this good you cannot just come in here and say it's not worth it.

Carl

Carl, good job on the thread but I find it strange you suggestig people can donate if they feel guilty having the game from PS plus. This is what you are paying for PS plus, to play games for free that you don't get to keep. I'm sure Sony worked out a good deal with publishers to make it a viable proposition. There is nothing to feel guilty about, but of course it's up to you and others if you want to feel that way and donate.

Oh yeah i totally agree. A few people in the Vita thread were saying they wanted to pay for it, so i thought i'd include it in the OT. If people would rather it be removed i'll take it out though

Carl

Can't believe i missed the word "Ultra" in the title - what the fuck? Need to get a mod in here and change that >.<

RpgN

Oh yeah i totally agree. A few people in the Vita thread were saying they wanted to pay for it, so i thought i'd include it in the OT. If people would rather it be removed i'll take it out though

I did not follow that discussion :p

I'm not suggesting it to be removed (not sure what others want), I just felt like voicing my thoughts on the matter. Sorry if I sounded a bit too strong about this!

Carl

I did not follow that discussion :p

I'm not suggesting it to be removed (not sure what others want), I just felt like voicing my thoughts on the matter. Sorry if I sounded a bit too strong about this!

Heh, not at all! Was just pointing out it was there because i thought people would appreciate it, but saying i was willing to take it out if anyone as anything against it :)

Number45

Bought, donated and played the first few zones. Love it... and will be picking up the ST as well. Music is fantastic.

I'll just be honest and say most people won't even give it a chance at that price, worth it or not.
First post fail.

Well, I'm joining you guys since the game is offered through PS+. Downloaded but not tried yet. I'm on sound shapes and wipeout atm.

Id buy this but it was delayed in US. Considerig openig a euro psn account on my 4gb, yall get such good releases, and different than NA.

The only game I bought under GAF's recommendation and boy was that a great decision. Getting this immediately as soon as the US version is out.

ZeroAKA

Got the Minis version free on PS+ a while back, will buy this when its released. Don't know when I'll be able to play it with my growing backlog though. I'm hoping for a PS+ launch discount.

thumb

Banned
Given that the Vita has the same resolution in Europe as in US (ie no tech changes need to be made), and it has the same publisher in both, why the delay?

Number45

Given that the Vita has the same resolution in Europe as in US (ie no tech changes need to be made), and it has the same publisher in both, why the delay?
For once, it didn't get through US QA in time (it was only approved for SCEE yesterday by all accounts).

Futurlab is a very small studio. Even though the game is technically going to be the same, there's still licensing among other things to be done before a game can be released in the US. That's my guess at least.

thumb

Banned
For once, it didn't get through US QA in time (it was only approved for SCEE yesterday by all accounts).

Are there ways in which a Vita game could pass SCEE QA but fail SCEA QA? I understand that Velocity hasn't failed QA, I'm just speaking hypothetically.

And Btw, very excited to play. I was turned on to Velocity by the original gaf thread and participated in the futurlab poll.

Number45

Are there ways in which a Vita game could pass SCEE QA but fail SCEA QA? I understand that Velocity hasn't failed QA, I'm just speaking hypothetically.
In my experience it's the other way around, but as far as I know they're separate entities (there was talk a few years back of them bringing this into a single entity but it obviously never happened) so it's feasible it could pass one and fail the other yes.

In this case though I assume the US is victim of the Tuesday update. If it were to update today I suspect you'd be fine.

recurv

Neo Member
Hi all!

Thanks for your support with Velocity Ultra :D

Thumb: Given that the Vita has the same resolution in Europe as in US (ie no tech changes need to be made), and it has the same publisher in both, why the delay?

The two submission processes are quite different.

SCEE and SCEA should definitely unite into one submission process. That would be amazing.

Suffice to say we'll get the game out to you in SCEA as soon as possible!

For those of you in Europe, we really hope you enjoy it!

James

Hi all!

Thanks for your support with Velocity Ultra :D

The two submission processes are quite different.

SCEE and SCEA should definitely unite into one submission process. That would be amazing.

Suffice to say we'll get the game out to you in SCEA as soon as possible!

For those of you in Europe, we really hope you enjoy it!

James

My most sincere congrats for bringing us this gem of a game. Fantastic job guys.

Glad to see you on GAF.

*goes back to his Vita.

Akito

I've just been updating my Vita to the newest FW = abandoning the exploit and I'm downloading the game right now, that's the least thing I could do when I don't even have to pay for it :)

repeater

I'm really glad this is on EU plus, I've been curious about this game! (It probably says something weird about the Vita memory card situation that my happiness is further increased by the fact that it's sub 250MBs..).

Why not purcahse it from the web store and send it to your Vita?
Is this function activated yet?

I'm really glad this is on EU plus, I've been curious about this game! (It probably says something weird about the Vita memory card situation that my happiness is further increased by the fact that it's sub 250MBs..).

Is this function activated yet?
Yes, you can queue downloads from the webstore, though you have to turn on your PS3/Vita yourself before it starts downloading.

RpgN

I think we have a problem. The trophies do not show up on playstation network, only on the system itself for me. Are othes experiencing the same problem?

I think we have a problem. The trophies do not show up on playstation network, only on the system itself for me. Are othes experiencing the same problem?
Give it a few days. Happens sometimes with new releases where Sony forgot to upload the trophies.

Top Bottom