• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Goodbye Volcano High Review Thread |OT| Snootjob

What scores do you think Goodbye Volcano High will get?

• 30-35%

Votes: 47 16.3%
  • 35-40$

Votes: 10 3.5%
  • 45-50%

Votes: 7 2.4%
  • 55-60%

Votes: 13 4.5%
  • 60-65%

Votes: 19 6.6%
  • 65-70%

Votes: 25 8.7%
  • 70-75%

Votes: 25 8.7%
  • 75-80%

Votes: 27 9.4%
  • 80-85%

Votes: 20 6.9%
  • 85-90%

Votes: 12 4.2%
  • 90-95%

Votes: 8 2.8%
  • 95-100%

Votes: 75 26.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Draugoth

Gold Member
3ec

kXiOgyU.png

KPHLH6a.png

1iBpEkl.png

FeaturesGif_616x346.gif

suj1mnm.png

steambanner-optim-affinity.gif

82RTaqm.png

steambanner_optim_minigames.gif

Lbx93lc.png

steambanner_optim_branchingnarrative.gif

82RTaqm.png

GVH_bonfire_616x280.gif

6o2NDHZ.png

Q: When does Review for Goodbye Volcano High Drops?
A: It's unknown if any review copies were sent​

Q: Will you buy this game?
A: No​

Q: Then why are you making an OT?
A: For the memes. Give me the best you got.​

Q: Why is this a PlayStation Exclusive?
A: Ask Jim Ryan​

Game Information:​

00ce35f9dc18902ea61e5c9a33f2de11898a111a.jpg

Game Title: Goodbye Volcano High
Price: $29.99 (10% off Launch Discount until Sept. 4th)
Developer: KO_OP

Platforms:
  • PC (August 29, 2023)
  • PlayStation 5 (August 29, 2023)
Trailers:

Review Aggregator

OpenCritic - 77 average - 71% recommended - 7 reviews

OisNDQq.png

Critic Reviews​

GamesRadar+ - Rachel Watts - 4 / 5
Goodbye Volcano High is a heartfelt coming-of-age drama about a group of teen dinosaurs confronted with an uncertain future. Dreamy pop ballads and an absorbing dialogue system offer a gateway into an introspective story about being young, queer, and chasing your dreams in the face of impending disaster.

God is a Geek - Lyle Carr - 9 / 10
Goodbye Volcano High is a charming visual novel packed full of great ideas, with a really interesting way of handling narrative choice.

New Game Network - Alex Varankou - 65 / 100
Goodbye Volcano High hits a few promising notes, put intended, with its good musical numbers, decent dialogue and nice art. However, notable issues and inconsistencies with the main story plus a few minor technical quirks keep this fantasy tale from reaching its full potential.

SVG - Kimmi Haueter - 9 / 10
'Goodbye Volcano High' features a great narrative, fun mini-games, and relatable characters, making it one of the top games this year for its genre.

Six One Indie - Harry Loizides - Loved
Goodbye Volcano High is a fantastic narrative that provides themes and stories that are relatable to players of all ages and experiences. The team at KO_OP balances the wonderful teenage angst with meaningful storytelling, fantastic music, and animation that few can match. Goodbye Volcano High forced me to look within and see how I approached scenarios as a know-it-all 18 year old versus how I would respond some 10+ years later. This six hour adventure is required playing for those that appreciate a powerful coming of age story that is presented in a new and unique way.

Wccftech - 7 / 10
Goodbye Volcano High executes solidly on its unique concept, delivering well-etched characters, engaging rhythm challenges, and a collection of memorable original tunes. That said, those looking for juicy high school intrigue will be disappointed, as the game is relentlessly nice, to the point it often lacks drama. We may not know exactly what finished off the dinosaurs, but Goodbye Volcano High comes close to killing itself with kindness.

WellPlayed - Mark Isaacson - 8 / 10
As the lyrics from the song Reunion asks, was it worth it all? I can happily say, yes. Despite its problems, Goodbye Volcano High is every bit worth it, and I'd happily spend more time with Worm Drama if I could.

Waiting

FAQ

14K22YZ.png

R7HZTYT.png

Last edited:

RagnarokIV

It's a poof game so it'll get high priase form particular outlets. Will probably be shit though.

Didn't it already win some silly award without being released?

Last edited:

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
I absolutely love short narrative adventure games like this. I'm also a fan of rhythm games and this looks like it kind of is one.

But the "in your face" LGBT overtones + high school setting + furries... it's gonna be a pass for me.

I can’t yiff to this, but the whole aspect of the world is about to end is kinda interesting in the same way as the movie Melancholia.

The music parts also look fun, I’m not gonna spend $30 on it but I’ll fuck with it for $15 on Steam. I’m gonna say it lands at about 70 on metacritic.

Last edited:

JimboJones

Like a lot of people, I'm deeply excited about what the lovely folks at KO_OP accomplished with Goodbye Volcano High, but I want to gently, pre-emptively push back against players taking that excitement and using it to apply criticism or a "raised standard" to games going forward.
This is not a new baseline for games--this is an anomaly.

Top Bottom