• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

J. Cole | Born Sinner | OT

Status
Not open for further replies.

tj hazuki

American rapper J. Cole releases the album artwork via Instagram, and announces new date of Jun 18th 2013.

born-sinner-standard.jpg

“You’re gonna hear sonically and soundwise as a producer how I’ve grown,” Cole said of the follow-up to his 2011 debut Cole World: The Sideline Story. “I’m not trying to make my old stuff and I’m not trying to make anything that was made in the past. I’m trying to concoct new creations.”

“Kanye West is one of the greatest artists of our generation,” tweeted Cole. “Which is exactly why I’m moving my release date up.”
http://www.rap-up.com/2013/05/20/album-cover-j-cole-born-sinner/

THE SINGLES:
Power Trip

BUZZ SINGLE(s):
Cole Summer

Mixtapes:
Truly Yours 2

tj hazuki

Same day as Yeezus? That's a bold move Cole.

Also a month early is a bit soon for an OT right? :p

Eh June WIll be here in a couple weeks anyways, and enough time to get HYPED. I see huge numbers for both. Kanye will easily get the #1 debut, but Cole shouldn't have a problem of doing 300k tbh

painey

His mixtapes were amazing, his proper album was meh, and everything he has released since (Miss America excluded) has been straight trash. Hope this album goes back to Friday Night Lights Cole

His mixtapes were amazing, his proper album was meh, and everything he has released since (Miss America excluded) has been straight trash. Hope this album goes back to Friday Night Lights Cole

My thoughts exactly. I still bump FNL daily, hope we get that cole back.

tj hazuki

I thought his debut album was solid. Still nothing on his mixtapes though! Still one of my hyped up releases this year.

Swag

Been listening to Power Trip non stop these past few months, looking forward to this, even though he had a bit of a disappointing first album. He'll always have a soft spot in my heart for The Warm Up

Nobility

Banned
I'm already in hype mode.

Hopefully Cole can keep up with Kanye. Though he won't beat Yeezus, I'm proud he isn't shying away from the competition and chose to face him head on.

oc

peanutbutterchocolate
Been listening to Power Trip non stop these past few months, looking forward to this, even though he had a bit of a disappointing first album. He'll always have a soft spot in my heart for The Warm Up
♥

Brofist

I'm already in hype mode.

Hopefully Cole can keep up with Kanye. Though he won't beat Yeezus, I'm proud he isn't shying away from the competition and chose to face him head on.

Define keep up. Cause I don't think probably getting outsold 5 to 1 is going to be keeping up by any means.

I'll give Mr. Pouty one more chance, if he puts out another boring album I'm done with him.

Fjordson

Cole has to be the dullest rapper of all time. Especially on Cole World. Though I'm interested about how this sounds if he's willing to release it next to Kanye.

Nobility

Banned
Define keep up. Cause I don't think probably getting outsold 5 to 1 is going to be keeping up by any means.

I'll give Mr. Pouty one more chance, if he puts out another boring album I'm done with him.
Focusing on reviews and critical acclaim since Kanye will sell a million in a week.

Cole will come out strong with Born Sinner, The Sideline Store convinced RocNation on his ability to sell albums on his own. He won't have problems with his label questioning the content that can attract a userbase, I expect Friday Night Lights quality for this album.

solarus

If j cole, the vanilla ice cream of rap, gets an album ot then where is my yeezus ot enzo?
EDIT: that yeezus cometh thread is not an ot so it doesnt count

tj hazuki

I think he'll do 250k-270k. 300k maybe if the single does really well on Pop radio in the coming weeks and if promotion is really good.

Focusing on reviews and critical acclaim since Kanye will sell a million in a week.

Cole will come out strong with Born Sinner, The Sideline Store convinced RocNation on his ability to sell albums on his own. He won't have problems with his label questioning the content that can attract a userbase, I expect Friday Night Lights quality for this album.

This would seriously just make my summer. I really hope you're right.

Dunno how I feel about this..thought we would at least get a Jay Z or Jay Elect feature. We'll have to see, but a few features would have been nice. I hope this doesn't mean he produced the whole album too, I would like to hear Cole on some outside production honestly.

That shit is classic mayne.

Right? I fucking love that mixtape to death.

being on the shelves next to Yeezus will benefit his numbers too.

Its better than coming out a week later.

Rpgmonkey

I haven't found any of Cole's work after FNL to be that amazing, but I'll probably still buy this.

If it's better than Cole World I'll at least appreciate the improvement.

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Just got to this song today, so good. Love it.

reKon

Banned
Maine on fire and truly yours 2 were solid. Haters can eat a dick (that's basically directly at all of GAF hop).

overcast

Cole is in the same boat as Lupe with me.

Two rappers I used to love who are now straight trash.
Cole is leagues better than Lupe right now. But I'm still not really hyped for this album. I loved sideline story when it came out, but I don't look back on it very fondly.

No rap features and Cole centric production is a red flag.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
What's with these early music OTs? Aren't they supposed to be a week before release or is it different for music?

DominoKid

What's with these early music OTs? Aren't they supposed to be a week before release or is it different for music?

i don't think it really matters. seems like its all over the place. just whenever you make it. i'd at least wait until June 1 for the Yeezus thread.

pikablu

I personally have loved everything Cole has done lately. The problem I think most people have with him is the fact that he hasn't given us a mixtape in between. The EP's really don't count because when he put them out he meant most of those things to be throwaway tracks. I wish he woulda given us that mixtape he was gonna put out but it never came to fruition. We do have a really strong single with Power Trip though and his album will no doubt put him back in people's minds. I didn't think his last album was bad at all but honestly it didn't live up to the Warm Up or FNL (my personal favorite). Here's to hoping Born Sinner will be a banger. I'm personally anticipating it more than Yeezus. Back when My Beautiful Dark Fantasy came out the only thing able to pull me away from that CD was J Cole's Friday Night Lights.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom